ad killing usability

Thanks for the tips here. I did as suggested and now not only is the dis running smooth and trouble fee, so are all the rest of my pages!

DIS Boards, please fix this issue. I understand the need for the ad revenue, but really, it's just annoying.

and Ad Blocker is not really an option - 1) i think that it defeats the purpose of generating additional revenue and 2) my computer is a corporate computer and I am unable to install additional software on it.

Please reconsider the use of "ad's of death" that has been killing ONLY your site. Other communities that i am in do not have this problem.

Thanks.

DIS Boards, please fix this issue. I understand the need for the ad revenue, but really, it's just annoying.

and Ad Blocker is not really an option - 1) i think that it defeats the purpose of generating additional revenue and 2) my computer is a corporate computer and I am unable to install additional software on it.

Please reconsider the use of "ad's of death" that has been killing ONLY your site. Other communities that i am in do not have this problem.

Thanks.

I agree! I don't want to leave the DIS but when it freezes over & over I can't stand it.

I can categorically state that my DIS time has been reduced wholly due to the ads.
I'll have typed up a post and... the ad causes the page to freeze.
Forget it. I'll go somewhere else.

I'm trying to live with it, and closing and re-opening the browser mostly works, but what a royal pain.

I had to resort to an ad blocker too:sad2: This wasn't my first choice, but the site was becoming unusable. The webmasters need to hold the ad providers accountable for the site performance.

I had to install an adblocker specifically for this site today. Every time I came onto the site a very loud ad automatically played, and my page would scroll all the way to the bottom. I'd scroll back up, it would scroll back down. Repeatedly, with no break in between. Some people above said this ad was causing the site to become unusable, however I found it to be completely unusable, well past "becoming". I've never had to install an adblocker before. It's the block box at the bottom of the page, the middle ad.

Last edited:
After they refused to install the tapatalk plugin for the new site, I stopped posting as much (thereby not generating as much free "content" for them), and set all ad-blockers to max. I also run my iPad connections through an ad-filtering web proxy.

Yes, everyone has the right to try to make money off their site and ads are the obvious choice, but it is completely out of control now and I'm not obligated to play along. (Sites that break up content into a series of many short, ad-filled pages don't even get my clicks.) I also remove referral links if I'm interested enough to click on a product.

I had a friend about fifteen years ago who predicted that this was what the internet would become (nothing but a nonstop barrage of targeted ads and affiliate links). Being the naive info junkie I was, I thought he was being overly cynical.

Does anyone else get one about dieting or weight loss and a pic ignore something that looks like either a bunch of maggots or a grape with something coming out of it? Soooo disgusted with that one.

Does anyone else get one about dieting or weight loss and a pic ignore something that looks like either a bunch of maggots or a grape with something coming out of it? Soooo disgusted with that one.

I don't (see my post above about using heavy Adblock artillery), but I loathe those National Enquirer style clickbait articles with pictures you can't unsee.

I've noticed a new variation of this with auto-play audio ads on the bottom of the pages that just randomly start playing an ad when I go to a page. I'm even getting Spanish language ads which makes them even more useless on me. I'd rather not use an Ad Blocker so the site gets support but if these keep up, I'll be either forced to do that, or stop viewing the site.

This problem disappears when you disable or block JavaScript. No more ads. Site runs super fast.

Can't even read this thread and understand/absorb (I am not very savvy with settings and such) without it jumping to the bottom of the page and gawdawful music blaring. I have a Mac and don't typically use adblockers and such. I haven't been posting much and now reading is more trouble than it's worth. Sad to see what has been such a great site for me for many years be so horrible to try to use now.

I had to stop using this site completely yesterday because of this ad. So far I haven't seen it again today. Unfortunately, there's no good way to report problematic ads. I assumed that it was being served up through Google's ad service, but there wasn't a way to be sure and I think Google usually has much better filters for poorly designed ads.

Based on this thread, it seems like this ad makes a reappearance very frequently, so it's clear that nobody has done (or been able to do) anything about it.

I sometimes use an ad blocker, but would rather not do that on a site that I support like Disboards, since I know that ads are part of what keeps sites like this running and profitable.

Does anyone from the board admin read this and can help us?

So strange ad block is not working for me, I can't open threads. Page is still reloading with out it. I have been trying different ad blocks and nothing is helping

Does anyone from the board admin read this and can help us?

It would appear that either they don't read, or the ad revenue is such that they don't care. Either way, the result is the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!