Actually cutting your trip short because of kids misbehaving

I live in FL and we have been to WDW a lot so it's slightly different for me. We have locked up one of our sons annual passes until his grades improved. It was the second semester of seventh grade and few days before spring break when my husband received a call at work from our sons middle school. Apparently, our son got some crazy idea that homework was "overrated and he wasn't going to participate in it anymore." Yeah, well that didn't fly at our house. We were about a week out from our spring break family vacation to spend 3 days at WDW and a 4 day DCL. He and his annual pass went on lock down until his all his school work was caught up and grades improved. He spent his spring break at home with Dad. We switched out my husband and son for my Mom and one of my nephews and the rest of the family proceeded with our cruise and WDW vacation.

This made a huge impact. Our son is now in his junior year of college on an academic scholarship pulling a 4.0. But it's a wonder my husband and I survived this child's middle school years. I'm convinced I aged 10 years over those three miserable years. He is our eldest child. The other two have each created their own drama over the years, but they all do their homework and are good students. This particular punishment was without a doubt one of the most difficult ones we ever had to carry out, but now that were are several years past this event, I can say it was well worth the sacrifice. But it sucked at the time!

It's a shame, so many parents push their "children" and then get mad or lose patience with them when they are misbehaved. Children have a hard time in the heat, staying on lines for a long period of time, being pushed when all their little bodies want to do is rest or relax, etc. Some parents are too selfish to realize that kids have special needs. Linda
Lack of sleep, different environment. I agree. I too will stick to my word but I have to step back and assess the situation sometimes. Did my kid miss her nap and is over tired? Has she eaten lately or is she starving and acting out because she can’t explain? Sometimes I find myself getting upset at my children and then later realize it could’ve been prevented or fixed without escalating into a huge ordeal.

We didn’t actually cut the trip short, but my teenaged stepdaughter made one trip so miserable, she got left at her Mom's the following trip. She changed her tune the next time a family vacation cane around.

We've never had to cut a trip short but we have left dinner before eating. Our girls HATE hotdogs when we had to leave due to our girls fighting we found the nearest hotdog and that was dinner. Needless to say we never had to leave a restaurant again.

This was a common conversation with the kids when they were younger, used it at home and on vacation.
Me - What do kids that whine get?
Kids - Nothing
Me - And what do they get to do?
Kids- Go to bed.

And always relevant.
The most important advice my dad gave me when I had kids was to never give empty threats. If you are gonna say it, be prepared to do it.
I did that too. If I said it I meant it. SOmetimes that consequence was worse for me. The kids never wanted to find out what happened if I actually had to "pull the car to the side of the road"

While we were in the MK last December our DD3.5 was very well behaved for the most part. However, one afternoon it was getting a little hotter and our DD was starting to lose some patience with line ups etc.. DH took her on the Dumbo ride ( not for the first time) and she had been warned about her behavior and that if she did not behave there would be no more rides. Well, I had settled myself down in some shade to people watch and wait for them when I see DH and DD walking toward me. DD was crying her heart out and DH looked ready to just leave. Turns out DD had an incident with another child. I am still hazy on the details, but DH said it was DD fault so out of the line they went. I tell you it broke my heart, she was so upset. She kept on saying, "I'm sorry Daddy", but she did not get on that ride again that day. We actually had a family time out in the shade and a drink. SHortly after DD had a nap in the stroller. I am glad we never said we would leave the park because I don't think I could go through with that. But to this day she will comment on the situation and say she will never "be bad" again.

The other thing is to share my DSL way of doing things. I personally don't agree with her, but anyway. Recently her DD9 has been a real test, to use her words. DSL is constantly threatening to not go somewhere or take away a privelege. Nothing seems to work. We had a family birthday party to go to for our DN10 and our DSL and family were also to attend. DSL told my other DSL that she would use this as a "thing" to promise to go to and then take away for bad behavior. So, she was planning all along not to take her DD to the cousin's party even though there had not yet been any bad behavior to warrant the punishment.

DSL has now used this tactic twice, both taking times taking away a family function. The rest of the family (adults) are aware of it and we are a bit steamed. Anyway think this is a good thing to do? I don't, but DSL doesn't listen to us.

Suz

Sounds mostly like a 3.5 year old who was really tired.

DSL sounds like she just doesn't want to attend family functions and is using the behavior thing as an excuse.

My dad cut a trip short to Typhoon Lagoon when we were kids because my sister and I wouldn't stop arguing.

We were supposed to go the last day of a 7 day vacation and instead made the 3 hour drive home in our bathing suits. Our dry bathing suits.

I have. When DS was 7, he was acting horrible, not minding and to be honest kind of being obnoxious around other families. It was unacceptable. We were to be there for 9 nights that trip. I kept doing the time out thing, took away going to the pool etc., When that didn't work, I warned him if he didn't stop we would go home. We left 3 nights early. We go a few times a year and only live just over 4 hours away. I'm sure he thought I was bluffing....but I wasn't. Did it suck to lose money? Heck yeah it did. We did a split that stay between Poly and Boardwalk. We had just gotten to BWI( had never stayed at BWI before either!). I was really bummed, but I will say DS has always listened to my warnings from then on!

I almost sent DS15 home. I refused to cancel the entire trip and ruin everyone's vacation.

He was just being so negative and argumentative the first three days of our trip. If I said we were leaving the room at 8 am he would complain and want to leave at 8:03. If I said let's turn left he wanted to turn right. If I said we were eating at this place he wanted to eat at that place. If I said we were going to DHS he wanted to go to Epcot. If I said we were taking the monorail he wanted to take the boat. It was CONSTANT and grating on EVERYONE's nerves.

My breaking point was MK PM EMH. We got there around 9 pm and it was open until midnight. It was raining. My son went on and on about his hair. He didn't want to wear the poncho but he didn't want to get wet. He wanted to ride 7DMT but it was closed. I had a FP but he wanted to WAIT in line while it was CLOSED!! He would not let up. Finally I said forget it. I had enough. We left. He kept mumbling under his breath. I tried talking to him but he still had a rebuttle for every.single.thing I said. At that moment I told him I was done and I would be sending him home unassisted minor back to his father. I was DEAD SERIOUS. I got on the phone with his father and he said to send him back. I checked flights. My SO told me to relax and take a deep breath. We dropped him and DD9 back in the room and we hit up Tambu Lounge. After a few drinks and a good nights sleep I was still ready to send him home but my son woke up a different person. It's like God himself came to the Poly and gave me a new kid. The next 7 days were very pleasant and a completely different vacation and I didn't have to send him home.

I think my son knew how serious I was so I don't think it was empty threats.

So, this is slightly off topic, but we are thinking about not even bringing DS10 on our January trip because he is already being really negative about everything. On this trip it will just be my sister and I, her DS5 and my DS10 (maybe, lol!). Only my sister has been to WDW before, so this is the first time for the rest of us. We live in CA and are Disneyland people and have been there many times, most recently in August. DS10 was not thrilled to be there this last trip and said the best parts of the trip were swimming at the hotel and spending time with his cousin. He says that he doesn't really like Disney and doesn't really like many rides, but is interested in Animal Kingdom and Epcot. He says he would prefer to stay at the hotel on the day we go to MK. I'm not sure what to do! We don't get to spend much time with my sister and nephew, plus she is sick and this might be the last time we get to take a trip like this with her. So, it means a lot to me to have us all there for that reason and it's a family trip, so why should I let him off the hook and let him stay home (he could stay home with his dad)? On the other hand, I don't want his grumpy mood to ruin the trip for the rest of us.

What would you all do?

So, this is slightly off topic, but we are thinking about not even bringing DS10 on our January trip because he is already being really negative about everything. On this trip it will just be my sister and I, her DS5 and my DS10 (maybe, lol!). Only my sister has been to WDW before, so this is the first time for the rest of us. We live in CA and are Disneyland people and have been there many times, most recently in August. DS10 was not thrilled to be there this last trip and said the best parts of the trip were swimming at the hotel and spending time with his cousin. He says that he doesn't really like Disney and doesn't really like many rides, but is interested in Animal Kingdom and Epcot. He says he would prefer to stay at the hotel on the day we go to MK. I'm not sure what to do! We don't get to spend much time with my sister and nephew, plus she is sick and this might be the last time we get to take a trip like this with her. So, it means a lot to me to have us all there for that reason and it's a family trip, so why should I let him off the hook and let him stay home (he could stay home with his dad)? On the other hand, I don't want his grumpy mood to ruin the trip for the rest of us.

What would you all do?

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't let a 10-year-old call the shots. What 10 year old doesn't want to go to Disney? If he was my child I would insist he goes. I would explain to him that he must have a positive attitude at all times. Explain to him the importance of the trip to you all due to your sick sister. If he was an issue on the trip I would make it clear that there would be consequences when he gets home. Are you going to cater all your future vacations around him?

What would you all do?

Hmmm.......if he doesn't enjoy Disney I see no problem with you having a trip without him and taking him somewhere else just you two later. But then I see the importance of a trip with his aunt and cousin. But Disney is expensive for someone who doesn't enjoy it. I'm a big believer that Disney, or amusement parks, aren't for everyone. If my kid hated the beach I wouldn't plan a family beach vacation and watch my kid be miserable the entire trip.

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't let a 10-year-old call the shots. What 10 year old doesn't want to go to Disney? If he was my child I would insist he goes. I would explain to him that he must have a positive attitude at all times. Explain to him the importance of the trip to you all due to your sick sister. If he was an issue on the trip I would make it clear that there would be consequences when he gets home. Are you going to cater all your future vacations around him?

Lots of 10 year old boys don't want to go to Disney. When DD went at 9 she loved it but she said some kids did make comments that Disney is babyish.

What would you all do?

I would tell him he's going. I'd try to see if he'd help with the planning at least for the days youll be in Epcot and Animal Kingdom. See what he gets excited about. Make it clear that it's a family trip and he's part of the family, and that his cousin would enjoy having him there too so he's not the only kid.

It seems like he might just be getting a little bored with DL since it seems like you go there frequently. I've never been to DL, but from everything I've heard, even the rides that are the "same" between DL and MK aren't exactly the same in most cases, and there are some that are completely different. I think just going somewhere new will probably bring about a bit of excitement in him, even if he doesn't seem excited now.

What kind of things interest him? We might be able to give some ideas of things he'd really like about DW if we had some ideas of what he likes.

What would you all do?
It sounds like he has some sort of issue that's not necessarily Disney related what with liking the pools and enjoying the idea of AK and Epcot. He also enjoys spending time with his younger cousin. I don't know what is going on with your sister's health but your saying you may never get to go on a trip like this with her again maybe something your son overheard and interprets in his own way. I would try having a convo with son to understand why he really doesn't want to go and if he's adamant this is not a vacation he has an interest in either cancel it completely or find a different vac locale that better meets everyone's wants.

DGD is 13 and made it clear she wants to go on a boat access only primitive camping trip instead of another Disney visit this forthcoming July; not fighting her on her decision since the world is wide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter