Actual Dog Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes service dogs have been allowed to stay at other resorts by ADA law. And no they will not need to stay at only the 4 resorts..that would be against the law. And no Disney cannot charge an extra fee simply because a person has a service dog but can be charged for damages just like other guests.

Q11. Can hotels assign designated rooms for guests with service animals, out of consideration for other guests?

A. No. A guest with a disability who uses a service animal must be provided the same opportunity to reserve any available room at the hotel as other guests without disabilities. They may not be restricted to "pet-friendly" rooms.

Q12. Can hotels charge a cleaning fee for guests who have service animals?
No. Hotels are not permitted to charge guests for cleaning the hair or dander shed by a service animal. However, if a guest's service animal causes damages to a guest room, a hotel is permitted to charge the same fee for damages as charged to other guests.

Thanks for this info! I think this thread will be great and I look forward to reading actual experiences vs some other threads with wild speculation.

Yes service dogs have been allowed to stay at other resorts by ADA law. And no they will not need to stay at only the 4 resorts..that would be against the law. And no Disney cannot charge an extra fee simply because a person has a service dog but can be charged for damages just like other guests.

Q11. Can hotels assign designated rooms for guests with service animals, out of consideration for other guests?

A. No. A guest with a disability who uses a service animal must be provided the same opportunity to reserve any available room at the hotel as other guests without disabilities. They may not be restricted to "pet-friendly" rooms.

Q12. Can hotels charge a cleaning fee for guests who have service animals?
No. Hotels are not permitted to charge guests for cleaning the hair or dander shed by a service animal. However, if a guest's service animal causes damages to a guest room, a hotel is permitted to charge the same fee for damages as charged to other guests.

Also according to the ADA, emotional support animals are not part of the ADA law since they do not provide a service. I am interested in seeing the impact on these animals and their owners.

Also according to the ADA, emotional support animals are not part of the ADA law since they do not provide a service. I am interested in seeing the impact on these animals and their owners.
Me too but at the same time it wouldn't be law Disney would be following (whether people like the law or not) it would be their own policy or their own 'case by case' type situation.

ETA: Still an interesting point to keep in mind and keep track of how they handle it.

He won’t be able to go to the parks. But I think he’ll have fun at the campground.

How so? He isn't permitted anywhere but in the actual cabin, the potty spot...and the little doggy run I think they have. It's not like you can take him for long walks around the grounds or to the lake or anything, right?

How so? He isn't permitted anywhere but in the actual cabin, the potty spot...and the little doggy run I think they have. It's not like you can take him for long walks around the grounds or to the lake or anything, right?

It's been awhile, but when we camped in our RV at FW, and rented a golf cart, we took our beagle with us "looping" and walked him in many non-populated areas (obviously not by the pools, trading post, horses, etc). We always combined WDW and Universal on these trips, so that same beagle stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel (in one of their pet designated rooms) many times, and we saw many other dogs while there (the majority of whom were being very responsible).

He was crate trained (and we traveled with the crate) and used to being alone up to 8 hrs a day, so was a good traveler. I'm afraid not all dogs will be, but that remains to be seen.

Terri

Trigger warning: Someone planning to stay at WDW with dogs! You have been warned. :dog2:

So this post is just booking experience so far, but I will report back once the stay is complete.

We will be staying 1 night at Art of Animation with two dogs that are each ~25 lbs in early November.

Our family already had plans to stay over a week at a DVC resort before the changes were announced. Once we heard about the updated dog policy at 4 of the Disney resorts, I changed the reservation the night before the DVC stay was to start from a La Quinta in the Universal area to Disney's Art of Animation. Incidentally, most hotels in the Disney Springs area charge $150 to $200 flat pet fee, so Disney's $50 was far cheaper for a single night stay. That is also the same price per day to board both the dogs in the Orlando area. (Don't know about the cost of the disney kennel as it has always been fully booked whenever I've tried to make reservations!)

When speaking with the Cast Member regarding room types available to book with dogs, she said that they were restricted to the standard view Little Mermaid section and the Cars section family suites.

I was reminded during the booking that a print-out proving the dogs are up-to-date with their vaccinations will be required, that the dogs could not be left alone in the room for more than 7 hours (not a problem, since ours will never be left alone), if there was any barking reported we'd be required to be back to our room within 30 minutes. She also mentioned that they would be allowed on Disney's Magical Express in a dog carrier, but this was not relevant to us as we're driving. The pet fee will only be collected upon check-in, and we will also receive a map at that time showing where the dogs are allowed to walk. At absolutely no time are the dogs allowed in the shops, restaurant or pool areas.

We're very interested to see how our test case goes, but reading through some of the responses on other threads, I'm starting to be on edge that we're going to have to listen to angry rants while there.

Trigger warning: Someone planning to stay at WDW with dogs! You have been warned. :dog2:

So this post is just booking experience so far, but I will report back once the stay is complete.

We will be staying 1 night at Art of Animation with two dogs that are each ~25 lbs in early November.

Our family already had plans to stay over a week at a DVC resort before the changes were announced. Once we heard about the updated dog policy at 4 of the Disney resorts, I changed the reservation the night before the DVC stay was to start from a La Quinta in the Universal area to Disney's Art of Animation. Incidentally, most hotels in the Disney Springs area charge $150 to $200 flat pet fee, so Disney's $50 was far cheaper for a single night stay. That is also the same price per day to board both the dogs in the Orlando area. (Don't know about the cost of the disney kennel as it has always been fully booked whenever I've tried to make reservations!)

When speaking with the Cast Member regarding room types available to book with dogs, she said that they were restricted to the standard view Little Mermaid section and the Cars section family suites.

I was reminded during the booking that a print-out proving the dogs are up-to-date with their vaccinations will be required, that the dogs could not be left alone in the room for more than 7 hours (not a problem, since ours will never be left alone), if there was any barking reported we'd be required to be back to our room within 30 minutes. She also mentioned that they would be allowed on Disney's Magical Express in a dog carrier, but this was not relevant to us as we're driving. The pet fee will only be collected upon check-in, and we will also receive a map at that time showing where the dogs are allowed to walk. At absolutely no time are the dogs allowed in the shops, restaurant or pool areas.

We're very interested to see how our test case goes, but reading through some of the responses on other threads, I'm starting to be on edge that we're going to have to listen to angry rants while there.
Please do let us know how your trip goes :)

And to the bolded I'm really sorry. Others get the right to be upset but they don't get the right to take it out on you personally. I hope you can still have a great vacation!

Thanks for the post. Is it just one 50 fee or per dog? I also hope you don't get any snide remarks...all I can say is be the bigger person and smile and say have a nice day! Of course followed by a big glass of wine to calm you!

We are staying at POR starting this Thursday. I am allergic to dogs (not life-threatening, but not something I want to deal with while on a vacation) and we take afternoon naps, so I sent an email to Guest Services last week. I asked if there was any way they could ensure I would not be near a room with dogs. I got a generic response shortly after that instructing me to call if my trip was within the next two weeks to please call. I haven't been in the mood to wait on hold for who knows how long, so I decided I would take my chances.

Yesterday I received a phone call from Lake Buena Vista, so I answered. It was in fact Disney and they were incredibly friendly. She said there was no way they could guarantee we would not be near a dog room if we are staying at POR. She was willing to find us somewhere else to stay (which was nice because the website told me no other rooms are available) and every moderate resort had availability. I thought about it for about two seconds before I told her it was unnecessary. POR is my DD's absolute favorite resort and she would be heartbroken if we changed resorts, especially so close to our trip. I did ask for her to make a note on my reservation for a deep cleaning if dogs have stayed in my room in the past. I am optimistic that we won't be bothered by barking dogs during the day (or night) because I have to be optimistic or I might cry. It won't ruin my vacation, but I will be angry if I am bothered by barking dogs at all. I have 2 dogs I would love to take on vacation with us, but if we left them alone in the room for any amount of time, they would bark. They would bark if they heard any noises outside of the room. They would drive ME crazy, so I would hate for them to drive anyone else crazy. I hope other dog owners are as considerate.

We are staying at POR starting this Thursday. I am allergic to dogs (not life-threatening, but not something I want to deal with while on a vacation) and we take afternoon naps, so I sent an email to Guest Services last week. I asked if there was any way they could ensure I would not be near a room with dogs. I got a generic response shortly after that instructing me to call if my trip was within the next two weeks to please call. I haven't been in the mood to wait on hold for who knows how long, so I decided I would take my chances.

Yesterday I received a phone call from Lake Buena Vista, so I answered. It was in fact Disney and they were incredibly friendly. She said there was no way they could guarantee we would not be near a dog room if we are staying at POR. She was willing to find us somewhere else to stay (which was nice because the website told me no other rooms are available) and every moderate resort had availability. I thought about it for about two seconds before I told her it was unnecessary. POR is my DD's absolute favorite resort and she would be heartbroken if we changed resorts, especially so close to our trip. I did ask for her to make a note on my reservation for a deep cleaning if dogs have stayed in my room in the past. I am optimistic that we won't be bothered by barking dogs during the day (or night) because I have to be optimistic or I might cry. It won't ruin my vacation, but I will be angry if I am bothered by barking dogs at all. I have 2 dogs I would love to take on vacation with us, but if we left them alone in the room for any amount of time, they would bark. They would bark if they heard any noises outside of the room. They would drive ME crazy, so I would hate for them to drive anyone else crazy. I hope other dog owners are as considerate.
I hope other dog owners are as considerate as well :) Either way the guest with the dog and the guest without the dog wants to have an enjoyable vacation.

And I'm not making light here at all but truthfully all I really do when surrounded by people is hope they have the same respect for me as I do for them--that goes far and above this new policy and includes all the different types of people I am in contact with.

Thanks for the post. Is it just one 50 fee or per dog? I also hope you don't get any snide remarks...all I can say is be the bigger person and smile and say have a nice day! Of course followed by a big glass of wine to calm you!

The $50 is per night, it doesn't matter if it is one or two dogs.

I don't really think we'll get too many (if any) comments, and if we did we'd take things in stride. Since we've been DVC since '92, we've seen a lot of new ideas tested over the years and are just happy to take part in this trial!

I am optimistic that we won't be bothered by barking dogs during the day (or night) because I have to be optimistic or I might cry. It won't ruin my vacation, but I will be angry if I am bothered by barking dogs at all. I have 2 dogs I would love to take on vacation with us, but if we left them alone in the room for any amount of time, they would bark. They would bark if they heard any noises outside of the room. They would drive ME crazy, so I would hate for them to drive anyone else crazy. I hope other dog owners are as considerate.

I do hope you have a quiet trip Jaiminee Krikit. If it's any consolation, whenever we've stayed at other pet friendly hotels, the dog rooms have been a completely separate wing/floor. Also, since there is no cost advantage to bringing your dogs to a Disney resort vs. boarding in the Orlando area, I think there would be very few kooks like us who'd want to take on the responsibility of caring for their dogs on vacation. But I do hope you report back on your experiences!

If it helps, I've heard that there will be no dogs in the Royal and Preferred rooms at Port Orleans-Riverside.

Called Disney and was told they don't know, which makes me really suspicious.

The people you're talking to don't work at the resorts. This hasn't yet started so there's no chance of them to know how it's going to play out irl. Heck, call center CMs don't know how the most basic things are handled at the resorts. Don't be suspicious.

Well, then if you don't have to prove that the dog is a service animal, I wonder if the number of "service animals" will arise just to avoid the cost?

If it hadn't already happened there's no reason to assume it will happen.

The hotel is entitled to require proof of service dog status

Businesses have a very confined set of questions they can ask. And none of the questions allow asking for "proof". Especially since there's no such thing.

Last edited:
I hope that nobody rants to your face! I mean it's easy to internet yell at mickeyfanboy8837598347258935 (i hope this isn't someone's real screenname). I would think that MOST people would be too busy enjoying their OWN vacation to stalk out dog people and yell at them. I would hope.

Do I think people are nuts to bring dogs on a park vacation....sure. But if someone wants to make their vacation more complicated, that's on them. (side note, I love my dog but we fly to orlando and even if we didn't, she's nuts. Like medicated nuts. worth the 35 dollars a night to keep her at her regular daycare overnight nuts)

The people you're talking to don't work at the resorts. This hasn't yet started so there's no chance of them to know how it's going to play out irl. Heck, call center CMs don't know how the most basic things are handled at.m the resorts. Don't be suspicious.

If it hadn't already happened there's no reason to assume it will happen.

Businesses have a very confined set of questions they can ask. And none of the questions allow asking for "proof". Especially since there's no such thing.
Proof is an overstatement. They can ask what task the animal is trained to perform. Some pet owners may be ready with lies and some may be surprised by the unexpected question. Emotional support dogs don't generally qualify as service dogs.

Too many pet service dogs and we might see state or federal IDs. Organizations which train and supply service dogs generally give the owner paperwork/ id card. The issue would be with self trained service dogs

This thread is a fantastic idea and it doesn't make sense to shut it down. Honestly, shut the other one down! :headache:

Looking forward to other peoples' experiences. We will probably do a trial run with our dog in the spring at Ft. Wilderness.

You look at the other thread and you'd think the hotels are going to turn into a flea infested pee palace of doom.

The issue would be with self trained service dogs

And to me those dogs are the reason I don't want proof to be needed. A dog that has the ability to sense a seizure coming on and alert the owner to get to a safe place (sit down on the sofa, get out of the slippery shower, pull over to the side of the road, etc) or a dog that can sense blood sugar changes before the person can possibly know are vital and life saving and sooooo cool. And I don't want their owners to have to go find a place that can verify them.

But I'm getting off topic. I just don't see how the service dog thing is going to get involved in all of this. If you're a sneak who knows of the two allowed questions, you were already doing this. If you weren't, this isn't going to cause you to become one. If you do, and if you leave your dog in the room to bark, they now have some strong rules for you. 30 minutes to get back to the barking dog? That's a very short amount of time. That's serious. I like it.

Proof is an overstatement. They can ask what task the animal is trained to perform. Some pet owners may be ready with lies and some may be surprised by the unexpected question. Emotional support dogs don't generally qualify as service dogs.

Too many pet service dogs and we might see state or federal IDs. Organizations which train and supply service dogs generally give the owner paperwork/ id card. The issue would be with self trained service dogs

Airlines are looking/pushing for a state or federal ID as they are seeing many passengers say they have a trained service or emotional assistance pet. Hubby had two service dogs on a flight a couple months ago, one clearly trained as it didn't acknowledge any passenger etc and was quiet. The other dog got on board and started barking at first service dog...hmmmm...which one is clearly trained? Since airlines cannot question the authenticity of the service dogs, he had them sit in different parts of the plane.

Good luck with your trial run in the spring if you go through with it!

I'm sure by then some of the kinks will be worked out, if I ran the zoo I probably would have implemented a tad differently (like picking a start date 60 days out and asking for pet info at reservation/early check in just to get a rough idea of how many people would actually bring dogs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!