Accio, Vacation! A PTR

DancinDaisyDuck

Nothing left for me to do but dance
My husband and I are about to celebrate our one year wedding anniversary on May 6th. He happens to be on a work trip next week (April 23 to 26) in Orlando and I decided I just couldn't allow him to be there without me, so I'm going down to join him and then we are staying through the weekend for our very first visit to Universal Orlando and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I am a Disney veteran but have never been to Universal before, but Husband has been once when he was in middle school, so he has some vague memories of the Studios but Island of Adventure didn't exist then.

Here is a brief overview of our plans. I have some time to myself the first couple of days while he is still working. I fly down after work on Tuesday the 24th, Husband will already be there at his conference. His conference hotel is the Renaissance Sea World - it's literally between Sea World and Discovery Cove. I decided not to visit Sea World for many reasons, but I am looking forward to hanging out and lounging at the hotel pool.

Wednesday - I'm starting the day with a morning work out at Fitness CF (What? On Vacation? I know, I know. I am a Les Mills BodyPump and RPM instructor and I love taking classes while I'm travelling just to meet other instructors and remember what it's like to take a class once in a while! Plus I need to earn my Butterbeers.) and then back to the hotel to relax and have some pool time. I plan to Uber/Lyft over to Disney Springs for lunch and to check out what's new over there. I haven't been since it was officially Downtown Disney - I can't be in Orlando and NOT step foot on Disney property. This won't be the first time this week I'll do that, either.

After husband is done with work on Wednesday, we have ADRs at 'Ohana! He's never had dinner here before and I can't wait for him to experience it. Depending on what time we wrap up eating and how tired he is from his work day, we may pop in to Trader Sam's, or just go back to the Hotel.

Thursday - Another workout at Fitness CF, and then I am going to pack up our stuff and Uber/Lyft over to Royal Pacific, where we are staying for the Universal portion of our trip! Husband will be cleaning up from the conference exhibit hall and will join me over then when he's done. I just plan to relax at the pool, read my book, have some beverages, and explore around the hotel. We will have dinner somewhere either in the hotel or at CityWalk, depending on how he's feeling. We have a big day to rest up for!

Friday - Universal Day 1! We won't be up early for early admission this day, but I hope to start in Islands of Adventure at 9 a.m. and start the day spending as much time in Wizarding World as humanly or wizardly possible. This is what we're really going for, so we want to get as much out of our time there as we can. I imagine we will spend up until about lunch time, maybe 1 p.m. here and then explore some other parts of Islands before taking the Hogwarts Express over to Diagon Alley and do what we can there before we go.

The park closes at 6 p.m. this night due to Grad Nights. We will probably head back to the hotel between 4 and 5 to shower and change. We're heading back to Disney property for our early anniversary dinner at California Grill! This meal will be a first for us. I have wanted to eat here for a very long time and I'm looking forward to it. Our reservations are for 7:20 p.m. so I am hopeful we'll get a nice view of Happily Ever After, too! Fitting for our anniversary trip :)

Saturday - I will drag Husband's barely conscious body out of bed to try and get to the park for early entry this day, but we'll see how that goes. I want to begin in Studios today so we can ride the Hogwarts Express the other way as I understand it is two different experiences! We plan to stay until close this day as well, which is 6 p.m. again for Grad Night. We also need to go back to the room at some point to check out, or request a late check out. Once we're ready to leave, we will Uber/Lyft over to one of the hotels next to MCO for the night. We have an early flight home Sunday so we'd rather sleep a little longer and have a shorter commute to the airport!

So even though we have two short days, we are confident with Express Pass and some strategy we'll be able to do everything we want. In addition to Harry Potter, we are also excited about riding some coasters and all the big kid rides our kids wouldn't do if they were with us. We love them, but they cramp our style sometimes. I'll pop back in after we get back with a report and some pictures!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Sounds like you have some great plans, you should check out the non HP rides too. My favorite is the Mummy and MIB, Rip Ride Rock-it are not to be missed at US. At IOA you have Hulk, Spiderman, Kong and Jurassic Park to name a few...so much fun. I know you're going to have a blast.

Sounds great! Enjoy your adults only trip!! We've yet to do early entry as we just can't get moving that early so I understand DH!

You’ll have a fantastic anniversary celebration in Orlando

Be sure to have it noted in your rpr reservation you will be celebrating your anniversary there

Sounds like you have some great plans, you should check out the non HP rides too. My favorite is the Mummy and MIB, Rip Ride Rock-it are not to be missed at US. At IOA you have Hulk, Spiderman, Kong and Jurassic Park to name a few...so much fun. I know you're going to have a blast.
Thanks! We are definitely excited about all the other areas, too. I am especially excited about Men in Black, Spiderman, Minions, Hulk, and The Mummy.

Sounds great! Enjoy your adults only trip!! We've yet to do early entry as we just can't get moving that early so I understand DH!
Thank you! I never seem to have a problem being a morning person when either an amusement park or a full breakfast is involved, but I remain the only one in the family that can do it!

Confident with Express Pass and some strategy...Express Pass is your strategy!!!

Enjoy!
I am so used to having to strategize even with Fast Passes. My husband is really looking forward to not having to plan around the plan and timed return passes. Much more his style!

You’ll have a fantastic anniversary celebration in Orlando

Be sure to have it noted in your rpr reservation you will be celebrating your anniversary there
Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!