Absolutely frustrated with DD's school!!

Any significant trip my children have gone on through school were known about and planned 12-18 months in advance. There is no excuse for only six months lead time.

Especially with a trip that has the potential to be expensive. I don't know where you live in relation to DC, but there are rooms that need to be paid for as well as transportation and food. Are parents expected to write a check on the spot or will fundraising be involved? When ever our (previous) district had a trip like this planned (for the middle/high schoolers) there was always a large lead time of at least a year so that parents could save up and fundraising could happen. Living on the west coast (then) trips involved airfare which isn't cheap. To me 6 months isn't much time to save.

You guys are great - and you brought up some very valid and rational points.:thanks:

I really don't know when they plan these things, but I do know the 8th grade trip is an every-year thing. So some general range (at least a month or so) would have been possible. I did forget about it though, and it wasn't on the school calendar (which also just came out this August). So I COULD have called the school, if I remembered the trip. I thought I was doing the right thing by planning during a school break. But they're leaving DURING school break. I'm sure I'm not the only parent who will be caught by surprise by that.

I also know there has been no fundraising. Maybe they do that this year? Usually, they just ask for $$ and if you can afford more, it's always welcome. But that's just normal field trips, not $$ full-week hotel stays and sightseeing tours! I'm sure they'll be going in buses, so there won't be flights to deal with.

We're in Massachusetts, and we barely survive the hot days of summer here. Literally. I get sun poisoning and DD wilts into a puddle. August is out of the question! And I thoroughly admire all of you who brave that crazy summer heat and humidity. We went in September. Once. Our family in Florida is usually HERE in August.

So here's the good news: POFQ was available. And $400 cheaper - yay! Flights were available at exactly the same times for exactly the same prices (love Southwest!). I sat down with my crowd calendar and my must-do list this evening and planned the whole week. Crowds are WAY better. Got all my ADRs except BOG and I might not have gotten that even at 180 days. Heck, I got O'hana, and I know some folks struggle with that. I'm really looking forward to that - we've never been. I'm feeling much more "normal" for knocking all that out in 3 hours.

So all's well that ends well. For those of you with older kids, I hear you! 7th grade was an eye-opener. This may very well be our last full week until DD's in college. Which will be here before we know it!

And to those of you who pointed out DD is very blessed to get to do a D.C. trip - yes, she certainly is. DH and I are thrilled for her and her friends. What an amazing experience they'll have!

8th grade was the last time DD willing left school for a Disney trip. She said she missed too much, even with getting the notes and assignments in advance, and there was always work to finish before leaving, work to do while on vacation, and work to catch up on (on top of new work) when she returned. As she said, it's no fun doing school work at night, being exhausted from a day in the theme parks, while everyone else is vegging out or asleep! High school was the start of our August trips... and yes, it's bloody hot in August! College was a relief... October, January, March, May trips!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!