??? about flights for early December....

Laurabearz

I cant load my bobbin!
I know this prolly should be in the transpostation section but I thought since Early December is a HUGE time for us DVCr's I might get more reponses here.....

Anyway, Right now for the eecond week in December (Dec 8th or 9th to December 15th) from Chicago is going for 215 (ATA) 308 (United) and 315 (AA). SOuthwest hasnt come out with their rates yet (just thru October).

215 RT seems a bit steep to me since this is not THE Holiday season...... we normally can fly for around 150 or less (and not via SWA)

I guess what I am asking.... should we book now, or hold off to see if the price falls.... If it was just us we would book via AA (coz we love the extra room) and if they later came out with a lower price, take the vouchers, and rebook at the lower rate. We do not want to book ATA with the thought of cancling, because then we would have to fly them again <grin> and we prefer American.

We are traveling with other family members and price is a huge consideration for them..... Do you think, if we wait, we will be able to beat the 215 RT fare that ATA is offering.... And do you think any other airline besides SWA will beat them? (Hubby hates the boarding system at SWA and refuses to fly with them.)

Thanks much! :wave:

For me in MSP, anything around $200 (+/- $25) is a steal of a deal for a non stop flight. If Southwest gives you great prices regularly, it might be worth your while to wait for their schedule to come out.

This year, the rule of thumb has generally been that rates have gone up, not down, as time has gone on, especially in the midwest.

Good luck whatever you decide.

If you can get direct flights with good times now, BOOK IT NOW!!!!!;) Those prices are very good.You may pay a lot more if you take a chance and wait:(

By the way, there were posts on the Transportation Board that SWA is changing it's boarding system to a more normal boarding system like other airlines do. I think I read it takes effect late summer so that change would be there when you travel. So DH can breathe easier if you decide to go with SWA.

Laurabearz,

I would wait a little and when Southwest fares come out AA and UA will probably match them. Right now the airlines bookings are very soft for that time of year.

And Southwest is changing their boarding process. The will get rid of the plastic cards and use printed boarding passes. Instead of boarding in groups of numbers (1-30, 31-60, etc) they will have groups A-D, each group will have 45 cards issued in it. The will not have advance seat assignments so it will still be a "cattle call". The good thing is that if you check in at the ticket counter they will print your boarding card there and you won't have to check in again at the gate.

Hope this helps,

Laurabearz,

Also going in early December. I am looking at $186 from Columbus, OH (Delta) and may jump on it soon. Last year we got $160 in mid-August but I'm getting itchy.

One nice thing about Delta is you can check how many seats are left on their Web site without purchasing; I don't know if you can do that on any other airline.

Originally posted by erikthewise

One nice thing about Delta is you can check how many seats are left on their Web site without purchasing; I don't know if you can do that on any other airline.

Thanks for the info.... Delta stopped their non-stop service from Chicago :-(

And nonstop is a must for us!

I guess I will just take all this wonderful info and present it to my BIL and Family and see what they say..... Takes the pressure off us! Hardy har har!

Thanks again for all the responses..... keep them coming!!!:bounce: :bounce:

LauraBearz,
Where are you in Chicagoland? We are in the SW suburbs. We are going to WDW 12/7-12/16 and I too have been watching those flight prices daily. We do not have a problem flying ATA but I am not crazy about their flight times. I am holding out for SW, which as you say are booking through Oct. right now. We have plenty of United Frequent Flyer miles to fly free but are saving them for a Hawaii vacation a couple years away. Let me know what you decide.

Laura- we too fly out of chicago and usually go after Christmas, but have gone in Jan and Feb as well. Usually $200- $250 is an excellent fare and Jan sometimes you can get $150 - 175. But the airlines are all hurting right now(except maybe SW) and they are trying to see what the market will bear. Last year we booked in September for a late Dec trip and got $200 - 231 (this was before Sept 11) and of course after that more fares dropped to around $200. This year fares are $300 plus so I'm hoping they drop in the fall! It might not hurt to wait until Aug-Sept, BUT you are always taking a gamble that the lower prices will be gone. If you travel frequently on AA I'd book it and watch like a hawk for the fare to drop and get vouchers. For the rest of the family send them on ATA at the cheaper fare, or take your chances and wait for a sale- chances are they will have one in the fall.

Chip.... we are in LaGrange Park (woohoo) I think we have decided to go with AA at 315, just because more leg room and prefered flying times.... If they lower it, we will cancle and rebook...

Thanks for all the piped in with your thoughts! They are always welcome!!! Wish us luck!

have went 4 times in early dec flying from Detroit. Have always found rates for under $200 in early September. My parents got a great rate 1 and a half years ago with Champion Air. You have to book through a travel agent with few travel times though. Just another option as I have never seen them on the internet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter