? about Eastern Cruise

precious2flh

Mouseketeer
I'd love some info on the Eastern Cruise...we are trying to book a week long cruise for next year. We're not much on shore excursions...we like to just "walk around town" and sightsee. Will we be able to do that in St Maarten and St Thomas? Is there a lot of stores or things like that relatively close to where you dock...is it anything like Nassau...cleaner I hope! I'm real paranoid about missing the ship or being stranded somewhere so I don;t like to venture anywhere I can't walk back to the boat from. Also, I really had planned to do the Western cruise but see where the Eastern is $800 cheaper so that's why we wanted extra input...those of you that have done both...how would you compare the two...it will be my hubby, 13 ds, 8 dd, and myself.
Thanks so much!

The cable car in St. Thomas is fantastic! It is a short walk from the dock (just say no thanks to the taxi drivers who insist you won't like it as they help you across the street!) The view is amazing & there is a cafe, some shops & a bird show up at the top along with a "nature trail" (wear sneakers for that - it's rocky) walk.
We've got some pictures here:
http://community.webshots.com/album/50815843JPOHMo

In St Thomas the ship is docked very near Havensight mall. You can easily walk there. You would need to get a taxi to go into town. It is not very far but too far to walk.

In St Maarten you will be able to walk to shops also. There is also a ferry that will take you to another part of town to shop also.

Just make sure you bring a watch and plan to be back on the ship AT LEAST an hour or so before you have to and you will be fine.

These ports are cleaner than Nassau but you still get hassled by merchants and the hairbraiders.

What are the prices for the cable car ride? One-way or round-trip?

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

The Roundtrip Cost is only:
$15 per Adult
$7.50 for children (6-12 years)

Here's a link to their site:
http://paradisepointtramway.com/

Just remember to say thanks but no thanks to the taxi drivers - they will follow you, telling you it's a waste of money, that you'll want their tour anyway, that it's $30 to ride, etc. It was, without a doubt, our favorite cruise experience off of the ship!

Originally posted by SC Minnie
In St Thomas the ship is docked very near Havensight mall. You can easily walk there. You would need to get a taxi to go into town. It is not very far but too far to walk.

In St Maarten you will be able to walk to shops also. There is also a ferry that will take you to another part of town to shop also.

Just make sure you bring a watch and plan to be back on the ship AT LEAST an hour or so before you have to and you will be fine.

These ports are cleaner than Nassau but you still get hassled by merchants and the hairbraiders.

We walked from town to the ship in St. Thomas. yes, it was a bit of a walk, but we were two adults and had no problems...although we did have bottled water with us, there are NO facillities between town and the ship. There is also a K-Mart about 7-8 blocks from teh ship if you need anything like that. And a Chase Bank ATM RIGHT at the pier, nice and safe place to take $$.

We found Phillipsburg to be almost as bad as Nassau, it was dirty and there were lots of hawkers. That walk is a bit rougher, and we opted for the water ferry.

Anne

I really liked both islands on the Eastern cruise....taking a taxi is easy at both locations.....you can definitely save money by not taking excursions....however, I must say.....the ones I did last year were more fun than I expected due to....Disney MAGIC!

For tstobb :wave: ,

Thanks for the tip regarding Paradise Point Tramway, this looks like something we might like to check out!:smooth:

BTW, I saw your Webshots photos a few weeks ago and really enjoyed them.

:wave:
Thanks! Here's a shot of the tram that you usually won't see
wheel.JPG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter