ABD Rhone River Cruise

I'm pretty sure my DD who will be turning 13 and I will be booking this for either June or July. The June 11 to the 18th works better for us for a lot of reasons, but would consider the mid-July sailing. Anybody want to chime in some more about the lavender blooming? Any chance to see it in mid-June? I'm thinking about the add-on. I've had a couple of negative experiences traveling in France as a non-French speaker. I'm wondering if the extra expense for the add-on would be worth it versus the stress of traveling in Paris on my own. I'd welcome any input!

I’m sure it can depend on weather, but from what I’ve read, the lavender blooms the last week of June through the beginning of August. I was looking at the September Adults only trip, but I’d really like to see the lavender fields. I’m sure it gets really busy with tourists this time of year, but I’m unsure when I’d get back to Southern France (with all the places I want to go) We had a fantastic tour guide when we went to Paris and we never had an issue with not being a French speaker, so I would say the add on would not be worth it, but that was my experience. If you’d feel it would make your trip less stressful, then it may be worth the cost.

I've had a couple of negative experiences traveling in France as a non-French speaker

It is likely that your negative experience resulted from *you* inadvertently violating some European norm of behavior. The French person was simply reacting to what appeared to them as an "ugly American tourist". A better understanding of European culture can show you how avoid these situation and have better interaction with locals. This can be done without being fluent in French, but does take some effort to learn the cultural differences.

-Paul

I've booked the Adults Only Rhône River cruise for May of 2020. Anyone else? I guess I should start a Meets thread! :)

Sayhello

Actually, the negative experiences were wholly attributable to not knowing the language (e.g., not understanding that suburban train service was unexpectedly discontinued for a very long time, and then having difficulty finding an alternate way to the hotel). I have not had negative interactions with French people, just negative traveling experiences in France : ) I personally find it stressful not being able to fully understand what is going on; perhaps I am too afraid of appearing to be an ugly American that I am reluctant to ask for assistance. I have been there 3 times, so it's not keeping me away, and I am going back for more.

It is likely that your negative experience resulted from *you* inadvertently violating some European norm of behavior. The French person was simply reacting to what appeared to them as an "ugly American tourist". A better understanding of European culture can show you how avoid these situation and have better interaction with locals. This can be done without being fluent in French, but does take some effort to learn the cultural differences.

-Paul

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!