ABD Japan July 14-26 (with Tokyo Disneyland Extension): Trip Report and Impressions

@CaliforniaGirl09 You are the 4th person to express that the Tokyo portion of the trip needs restructuring. So my question is what time did everyone have to meet up for the Farewell Dinner? Because I am seriously considering doing a tour of Akihabera on Day 10... and make most of that day our own time (would probably still do the shine and ceremony). We are big Video Game Fans (and have no interest in shopping or Takeshita Street at all really) Also on day 9... I believe that's a dinner oyo… what time did you guys get through with ABD. Might try and get a reservation at the Ninja Asaka Restaurant (its either do that or the Robot Restaurant show that night)

I want to say the meet time for the Farewell dinner was 5:30 so earlyish. You'll read about this later, but we ended up skipping that last day entirely. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that as some people really loved the ceremony, but I was done with Shrines :) From what I heard, Takeshita street is totally missable. As I recall we were done pretty early on Day 9--that's after the boat ride if I recall. I want to say we were back at 4:30 or so. We had scheduled a late dinner at the hotel and it was lovely to relax and enjoy the room. You will want some time to enjoy that room. It's fabulous!

Loving your report so far and already making notes for our 2020 trip!! It will be fun to compare trip experiences. I don’t have any info so far about our traveling companions (number or demographics) for our trip with Thomson. Definitely planning to book the Tokyo Station Hotel for the night in Tokyo before our flights back to the U.S. (I will need detailed instructions on how to find the ramen place in Tokyo Station, lol.) And it’s embarrassing to admit that I’m almost as excited about our JAL flights in First (for me and DH, while the kids slum it in Business) as I am about the trip! Also need to get details on Tokyo Disneyland for our pre-days there...

Yay! I was totally thinking of you and your DH with the large group. I can't remember how much of our itineraries overlap, but you are going to have a fabulous time. Japan is an amazing country. DD is ready to move there :) I should have mentioned that I used booking.com for the Tokyo Station Hotel, and it worked out great. I may get you lost in the train station, it's really tricky to find, but the concierge at the hotel helped.

That's how we were about the flights. I was looking forward as much to them as anything else. You and DH are going to love it. Get ready for the Cristal, but they also had some amazing sake. I'm hoping to get the rest of the report up in the next couple days. But you are smart to do DL on your own--the ABD price was a rip off. I knew it, but I didn't want to stress about getting a package.

Yay! I was totally thinking of you and your DH with the large group. I can't remember how much of our itineraries overlap, but you are going to have a fabulous time. Japan is an amazing country. DD is ready to move there :) I should have mentioned that I used booking.com for the Tokyo Station Hotel, and it worked out great. I may get you lost in the train station, it's really tricky to find, but the concierge at the hotel helped.

That's how we were about the flights. I was looking forward as much to them as anything else. You and DH are going to love it. Get ready for the Cristal, but they also had some amazing sake. I'm hoping to get the rest of the report up in the next couple days. But you are smart to do DL on your own--the ABD price was a rip off. I knew it, but I didn't want to stress about getting a package.

Just booked the Tokyo Station Hotel! Thanks for the recommendation about booking.com. I don't tend to use those sites (usually book direct with the hotel for benefits, etc.). I was planning to price compare in this instance, but the hotel showed zero availability on our date. Booking.com had rooms, and they were cheaper than both Expedia and hotels.com. I'll check back periodically to see if I can do any better on price, but happy to have that taken care of.

We'll see how Tokyo Disneyland goes without a package, but I didn't want to deal with that stress either, and I was able to use Hilton points for our entire stay at the Hilton Tokyo Bay, so we'll figure it out. Mostly want to get your thoughts on where to eat, what rides to focus on first, etc. (basically park days strategies). We've got plenty of time to chat :)

Just booked the Tokyo Station Hotel! Thanks for the recommendation about booking.com. I don't tend to use those sites (usually book direct with the hotel for benefits, etc.). I was planning to price compare in this instance, but the hotel showed zero availability on our date. Booking.com had rooms, and they were cheaper than both Expedia and hotels.com. I'll check back periodically to see if I can do any better on price, but happy to have that taken care of.

We'll see how Tokyo Disneyland goes without a package, but I didn't want to deal with that stress either, and I was able to use Hilton points for our entire stay at the Hilton Tokyo Bay, so we'll figure it out. Mostly want to get your thoughts on where to eat, what rides to focus on first, etc. (basically park days strategies). We've got plenty of time to chat :)
Awesome. Glad that worked out. I think the Tokyo Bay hotel is really convenient as well so you should be good. The nice thing with the ABD was all the Fastpasses. Those really helped. I think the package available direct online has one or two less, but they still have a lot. You might consider trying to get a couple nights just for the Fps, but if you are there 3-4 days you can probably do without. We had two plus days and the Fps were key. But yes, lots of time :)

Awesome. Glad that worked out. I think the Tokyo Bay hotel is really convenient as well so you should be good. The nice thing with the ABD was all the Fastpasses. Those really helped. I think the package available direct online has one or two less, but they still have a lot. You might consider trying to get a couple nights just for the Fps, but if you are there 3-4 days you can probably do without. We had two plus days and the Fps were key. But yes, lots of time :)

We'll have two full days plus the evening of our arrival day (but realistically won't arrive early enough to justify a park ticket for that night). So we will have to power through the best we can without the package FPs. That's why we'll need to have a plan and prioritize...

Great report and so helpful. My DD20 really wants to go to Japan and I have agreed. However what she wants to do and what ABD does is not gelling. She wants a ton of Tokyo time. I found a man online who was referred to me that he designs your itinerary down to when to pull money from a certain machine etc. Super detailed. I think and you have confirmed this is the way to go for my family. He also felt the tour bus size would slow us down. I felt a big difference in people on our NYC ABD vs. So Cal NYC took forever to do things with 38 people. I complained mightly when I got home. The guides said made their life so difficult too.

We just got home from Waikiki again second summer in a row and visited the Temple they have there. I was there 10 minutes, rang the bell and ready to move on. I too am not into seeing all these temples.

I agree totally on the first class flights! OMG YES! We do Delta one to HNL and love it but I don't find those lay back beds that comfortable. Can you tell me your best travel hack on ANA? Unfortunately if it involves Chase I am shut out due to too many cards.

If you could design your PERFECT trip with number of nights and cities - what would be it be? Thanks!

Last edited:
Great report and so helpful. My DD20 really wants to go to Japan and I have agreed. However what she wants to do and what ABD does is not gelling. She wants a ton of Tokyo time. I found a man online who was referred to me that he designs your itinerary down to when to pull money from a certain machine etc. Super detailed. I think and you have confirmed this is the way to go for my family. He also felt the tour bus size would slow us down. I felt a big difference in people on our NYC ABD vs. So Cal NYC took forever to do things with 38 people. I complained mightly when I got home. The guides said made their life so difficult too.

We just got home from Waikiki again second summer in a row and visited the Temple they have there. I was there 10 minutes, rang the bell and ready to move on. I too am not into seeing all these temples.

I agree totally on the first class flights! OMG YES! We do Delta one to HNL and love it but I don't find those lay back beds that comfortable. Can you tell me your best travel hack on ANA? Unfortunately if it involves Chase I am shut out due to too many cards.

If you could design your PERFECT trip with number of nights and cities - what would be it be? Thanks!

It sounds like a promising option. I did love the ABD and I would highly recommend with a smaller group, but the big groups have really just killed it for me. It's sad because we've loved our trips so much, and the guides really are top notch, but a big bus tour is not what I want in travel. I felt badly for the guides, too--they do their best but that's a lot of people to keep track of and corral.

You sound like us at Temples :) We call ourselves the Griswalds with stuff like that (i.e. from the Vacation movie with the Grand Canyon).

The best travel hack that I know of--and one of the best hacks out there--is using Virgin Atlantic miles for ANA flights. You can google and find out all the details, but Virgin is and Amex MR partner so you will be okay there. Bummer about Chase!

I thought two weeks was good, and I actually really liked flying in and out of Tokyo. It's a fun city to just hang out in and get acclimated. I think 4-5 days in Kyoto is good--you could do day trips to Hiroshima and Nara. I'd totally rely on the trains, which are awesome. We did first class with ABD and it was great. I think they call it green cars.

I'd definitely try to hit Takayama and Shirakawa. Two days there was good. I'd skip Odawara because I'm not into modern art, but tons of people on our tour LOVED the open air museum so YMMV.

What I was really bummed about missing was Mt. Fuji and staying at a traditional Ryokan hotel. I was told we couldn't all fit in a Ryokan :( I'm a hiker and not hitting Fuji was a definite bummer. I'm not sure whether you want to do the parks, but I thought 3 nights would have been perfect (we only did 2). Tokyo is a really cool city. I thought 5 days was perfect. I wish we'd done Tokyo Tower, and I wish I'd thought ahead to book a baseball game. I really just wish I'd had more time to walk around the places we visited and absorb.

Hope that helps!

Edited to add: definitely do at least one food cooking class like making sushi or bento boxes, and schedule a good food tour somewhere. We did ours in Takayama but it was kind of paltry. (You'll read about it later). The cup noodles museum was craziness but really fun if you have memories of those like I do.

THanks Caligirl that was amazingly helpful! I have chatted with you in the past and always felt we had similar travel styles. Yeah so skipping the modern art museums etc. Good tips. Thanks again. I will check out the Amex hack now. thanks!

Caligirl - me again! Ok I see the 30 percent transfer hack. As of now, I have NO amex card. What card would you recommend? Would this work on any amex ? I am just confused on which amex to get for the virgin airlines....virgin airlines??

Caligirl - me again! Ok I see the 30 percent transfer hack. As of now, I have NO amex card. What card would you recommend? Would this work on any amex ? I am just confused on which amex to get for the virgin airlines....virgin airlines??
The hack is actually using Virgin Miles to book ANA because of a sweet spot in the partner redemption chart. Here's an explanation: https://onemileatatime.com/redeeming-virgin-atlantic-miles-ana/ (hope the link goes through). But you are right, it's even better right now because of the travel bonus. But since you don't already have membership rewards points ("MR's" aka the name of Amex's point currency), that probably won't help you. The good news is that they usually have transfer bonuses more than once a year.

What card depends on your spending style--recommending cards isn't my expertise--but you could definitely post over on the Budget Board (I love credit cards so much) thread and ask. I think you might already be over there? Anyway, I think the best bonuses are targeted (i.e. 100k for Platinum cards). I love my Amex gold rewards personal card, and my husband really likes his business blue preferred, but I'm not sure what the best deals are out there right now. You'll want big bonuses. Any Amex that earns MRs will work for Virgin Airlines as they are a transfer partner (i.e. NOT cash back cards).

@CaliforniaGirl09 great write up I'm a fan of omaat also I book as many experiences as I can with points been doing it for years, I have a question how did you get the Jiro reservations? did you use an Amex concierge? how far out did you have to do it? been trying to do this myself hopefully finally go to Japan in the next year or 2.

@CaliforniaGirl09 great write up I'm a fan of omaat also I book as many experiences as I can with points been doing it for years, I have a question how did you get the Jiro reservations? did you use an Amex concierge? how far out did you have to do it? been trying to do this myself hopefully finally go to Japan in the next year or 2.
So glad you are enjoying! The Tokyo Station Hotel concierge was able to secure our reservations at Jiro. The Peninsula Hotel didn't come through and I've heard that Amex is useless although I didn't try them. I believe all the concierges at 5-star hotels in Tokyo can get them for you, but it depends on dates, etc. You want to contact your hotel concierge as soon as you have hotel reservations to get on the list for the dates you want to go. They will contact Jiro on the first of the month BEFORE you want to go. In other words, we wanted to go in July so the concierge contacted Jiro on June 1st. You will love it. It was an epic meal. Good luck!!

So glad you are enjoying! The Tokyo Station Hotel concierge was able to secure our reservations at Jiro. The Peninsula Hotel didn't come through and I've heard that Amex is useless although I didn't try them. I believe all the concierges at 5-star hotels in Tokyo can get them for you, but it depends on dates, etc. You want to contact your hotel concierge as soon as you have hotel reservations to get on the list for the dates you want to go. They will contact Jiro on the first of the month BEFORE you want to go. In other words, we wanted to go in July so the concierge contacted Jiro on June 1st. You will love it. It was an epic meal. Good luck!!
this is great advice many thanks!

Days 5-7: Nara, Takayama, Shirakawa, and Odawara

I decided to group these days together as much of them was spent on the road.

After seven ABDs I really should know to analyze the itinerary for suspicious language better (aka “scenic transfer” on day #7 means long bus ride), but for some reason I thought we were taking the train on most of this trip. I didn’t realize there would be so much time on a bus. In my defense, the itinerary on day #5 doesn’t say anything about transfers—you have to look at a map and calculate the distance from Kyoto to Takayama to realize that it is a long way away.

For me there was too much time on buses. Day #5 in particular was a real grind as we had horrible weather and the driver had to go really slow for the last few hours. I think we had about 7-8 hours of bus time that day with the time to get from Kyoto to Nara (traffic), then to the Sumo place, and then finally to our hotel in Takayama during the monsoon ☺. I might be off, but if I am, it's not by much.

It was raining so hard on the way to Takayama that huge waves of water were hitting the windshield. It was mountainous driving so it would have been even scarier had the driver not been exceptional. He really was fantastic, and despite the scary conditions from where I was sitting (DH an DS were blissfully unaware in the back) I felt as if we were in good hands.

But it was taking so long for us to get there that the guides were worried we would miss dinner at the hotel. I was sitting in the front with DD who gets motion sick, and I could see all the calls and negotiating going on by Tomomi. I got the sense that the hotel in Takayama (Associa) isn’t as excited to have ABD there as the others, and they aren’t nearly as accommodating. When we finally arrived at around 8:30 pm, we all rushed up to eat with our hand luggage and had a buffet dinner under the watchful eyes of the staff. I’m sure they just wanted to go home, and we were all grateful they’d kept it open for us. I think most of us passed on our thanks so hopefully that helped.

The “scenic transfer” from Takayama to Odawara on day #7 was another 5 - 6 hour bus ride. The guides broke it up with movies and a long trivia game (won by DH and DS much to their gloating—DD and I sadly missed out by 2 points), but two long days like that on a crowded bus are a lot. I’d love to see ABD integrate more train rides—the bullet trains are so awesome—but I think they’d have to eliminate some of the stops. (For example, you can get from Kyoto to Odawara in 2 hrs on the bullet train and Kyoto to Takayama in 3). It will be interesting to see how the itinerary changes over the next couple of years. My sense is that there have been complaints about the long bus rides.

On some trips the long bus rides don’t bother me—the original Scotland and Ireland both had a lot of bus time—but this one felt different. I think in part it was due to the big group, not having room to spread out, and every stop taking so long to get on and off the bus and move everyone from place to place. The long bus rides made me feel as if I was on a big bus tour, which is not what I’m paying the $$ for. I still have big group PTSD from our 51(!) on the ABD Baltics Add-on, and this brought it all back in a not great way.

On the positive side, as far as long bus rides go, Japan has some of the best rest stops I’ve ever seen. If there is a country award for clean, nice, rest stops, Japan wins hands down. The “magic” toilets, as my son dubbed them in China, are everywhere. There are mostly western toilets in Japan, but one or two places also had squatty potties. If you read my report from China, you know that DD and I definitely embraced the squatty potty. I found them easy to use and much cleaner, but we didn’t have many converts this trip, LOL.

Hotels:
Days 5 & 6: The Associa was nice enough, but easily the least lux of the hotels on this trip. The "North Korean" décor as someone quipped was outdated, but it was fine, and I suspect the nicest place in the area.

We really enjoyed the Onsen, which we tried out the second late afternoon. DH has a tattoo on his arm so he and DS couldn’t try it, but even for this modest former Catholic schoolgirl, it was really no big deal. People are very blasé and no one is looking at you. We ran into another of our group in the hall so three of us went together and we were pretty much the only people in there. We felt pretty stupid trying to figure out the sit down showers, especially when we realized later that there were western showers. But it provided a good laugh. And just a head’s up on temp … I love hot hot tubs, but these were really hot even for me. We didn’t stay long, and it took a long time to cool off.

Here we are all kitted out for the Onsen. The hotel provided these funny slippers that I tried desperately to buy later--I should have tried to buy them at the hotel. I'm weird, but I loved them. Think Vinyl Grandma.

The Hilton Hotel in Odawara is only one night, which was kind of sad. We were there for only a little over 12 hours! It was a nice hotel, and I loved the buffet breakfast and dinner there. It was the only place other than the sushi making day where we had the option of sushi for an ABD meal. The guy made me exactly what I wanted. This is also the hotel where the Junior Adventurer night takes place.

I’ve mentioned this in another thread, but we only had one true junior adventurer on this trip, but all the “kids” through college age were given the option of participating in the bowling/games/pizza night and every one joined in, including DD19 and DS22. DH and I tried to argue that we were going to take continuing education classes but we were shut down :) They had a blast, and it was one of the highlights of the trip for them. There were many saying that they wish this night had come earlier as the young people really bonded—as did the adults. We hung out outside the bar with a few of the other couples and really had a great time.

The bowling shoe vending machine! Japan is a land of vending machines--they are everywhere.

DS on the lanes:

Activities:
I was pretty templed out by Day #5 and there are two of them that day.

The first one with all the gates was fine, but I really wish we’d had more time to walk. There is a loop that you can walk in 2 hours, and by this time I was craving exercise and activity, but we only had enough time to do a small portion of it (maybe 15-30 minutes).

By far my favorite temple of the trip was the Toda-ji Temple in Nara. It was massive and very impressive looking. Unfortunately, our Nara experience was a little tainted by the weather. It was our one day of really unpleasant heat and humidity. My husband’s comment at one point was that he didn’t care whether we went to the Imperial Museum of Toe Clippings as long as it had AC. He kills me sometimes--that one will go down the family lore.

The picture doesn't really capture the size of this place:

I was also not enamored of the famed Nara bowing deer, especially after I pulled a huge tic off one of our fellow travelers after she was brushed by a deer that must have thought she had something. They are very aggressive if they think you have food or paper. So head’s up—if they get close tic check! I don’t think they have Lyme disease but still … ick.

They are rampant:

The mochi making would have been cool if it had been separate and inside, and if we’d gotten to see more of the process. But it’s outside in the middle of the street, and you are fighting with people who don’t realize this is a special “reserved” activity and are trying to push their way through you. It basically consists of a few rounds of banging of the mochi with a huge mallet. One of our junior adventurers got to help out and that was it. I’m not surprised it’s gone from the itinerary next year. It seemed like a nightmare for the guides.

The long ride to Takayama was broken up by the Sumo stop. This was one of those things I thought would be really cool but didn’t end up resonating with me. The people are all really nice and so excited to see us, but it wasn’t something I’d be clamoring to do again. There’s a little too much TMI on those outfits, too, LOL.

For the Takayama days the whole group visits Shirakawa together and then we break off into two groups for the afternoon and the next morning. One group rides bikes and the other has a food tour in Takayama. We had the bike ride the first day, which was nice as it put us back at the hotel a little earlier so we could to the Onsen before dinner.

The UNESCO village of Shirakawa is charming and was a highlight of the itinerary for me. It’s mostly looking at the buildings and shopping, but we also did a little nature walk and hike up the hill that helped alleviate some of that restlessness that we were experiencing from moving so slowly and all the bus time.

Charming thatched houses:

Gorgeous views from the top of the hill:

I was raining a little that day, but it stopped for most of the bike ride. We loved the bike ride, and it ended up being DD’s favorite part of the trip. We had a few stops along the way to look at things like the rice paddies and the farm where the famous Hida cows are raised.

Continued in next post ...

Continued from last post ...

The food tour the next morning was something I was really looking forward to. Our guy was really nice and gave us a great recommendation for lunch (more on that later), but it was a pretty wimpy food tour. I was expecting a typical food tour where you pretty much can forget about eating lunch, but our samples were very puny. We had about a thimble worth of sake, a few bits of other things, a small sugar candy, and a skewer of dumplings. It was fine, but maybe a little oversold as a “food tour.” And if someone from ABD is reading this, we paid $$$ for this trip for the four of us … can you maybe spring for a few cups of sake at the sake tasting? I was most bummed about that.

The dumpling lady on the tour:

We each got one of these very yummy candies--I ended up buying some later.

Oops! Forgot about the Calligraphy. It took about 15 minutes and was fun, but apparently not super memorable. It took place in a coffee shop, which was kind of weird as other patrons were watching us the whole time. We also weren’t offered coffee or treats, which I was expecting since it was in there.

The set up:

The main purpose of staying in Odawara seemed to be due to its proximity to the open air museum. If you are a fan of modern art and/or Picasso, you will love it. If you aren’t—like moi—it was a beautiful setting and interesting, but that’s about it. This was a trip highlight for some on our trip though so my meh reaction should be taken with a grain of salt.

This was my favorite--I called it splat :)

The very beautiful setting:

Showing my lack of culture, what I was really looking forward to was the CupNoodles museum. I, of course, thought it was Cup ‘O Noodles. I would have sworn up and down that’s what it was—as would a few others in our group. But I would have been wrong. It’s CupNoodle in Japan and CupNoodles in the US.

It was fun and kitschy, especially for someone who grew up on top ramen like I did. It was also crazy busy and somewhat ordered pandemonium. It was probably one of the busiest places we went. Who would have thought? Apparently I’m not alone in my lack of culture ☺

The masses of humanity at the museum!

Choosing my fillings--it ended up being really good. Much better than I remember.

The Giant Buddha was eliminated from the itinerary without explanation. Only when I asked—and joked that it was the thing that I was most looking forward to—did we hear that it had been eliminated due to time and too many shrines/temples.

Up next ... food.

Last edited:
Days 5-7 Food:

The Associa hotel dinner and breakfasts were fine—I don’t remember specifics. We really enjoyed the Hida Beef place, but could have used a double portion, LOL. Our family pretty much eats like truck drivers, and this was sometimes an issue with the provided meals on this trip that hasn’t been an issue before.

We found a great place for an OYO lunch in Nara. It’s another place with cold (handmade) udon noodles and tempura among other things, but it was a much more hip looking place and had mostly local business people in there. It’s opposite McDonalds so easy to find. Another Highly Recommended.

Yum!!! Love handmade noodles, the tempura shrimp, dipping sauce, and a very yummy rice ball flavored with some kind of purple flower that was delicious.

After our food tour in Takayama, we were looking for ramen and our guide recommended a place that was a little off the beaten path, but which we found easily enough with the map he gave us. It was easily my favorite ramen of the trip (and that's saying something since we had great ramen everywhere). It felt very authentic and it was really cool to have the chef making it right in front of us. Another Highly recommend.

I think it's called Menya Toto

Absolutely delicious. I got the super size :)

The beach lunch in Kamakura was the first western meal we had with ABD. The setting was great and there was a great clothing shop in the lower level of the building, but the meal was one of our least favorite. It was served in courses where you didn’t know what was coming next, and the combination was kind of odd. It tasted fine, but spaghetti, curly fries, hot dog pizza, and fried chicken aren’t my usual go to combo—especially one at a time. I think it went: yummy salad that I could have eaten about 4x more, curly fries, hot dog pizza, fried chicken, brownie cake? I don’t remember, but I’m sure @sayhello will have it better.

Pretty setting for our lunch:

You are doing so well with this report, I feel like such a slacker!! :) I keep thinking I'm almost done with the next installment, but for some reason, Miyajima/Hiroshima is taking a lot of effort to get down. *Hopefully* in the next day or two!

Anyways, I can't help you much with the meal at Kamakura beach. I remember how hard it was to get a drink of water, and the very delicious fried chicken fingers, and the tiny but delicious portion of chocolate cake/brownie. That's about it. I know there was more, but for some reason, it just wasn't that memorable. We got stuck in traffic, and got there REALLY late, so I think we were all just grateful to get food and EAT it!

I'm one of the ones that *loved* the open-air museum! Everyone is different, eh? But I TOTALLY agree with you about the lame excuse for a food tour in Takayama!! I enjoyed walking around the old town, and our guide's explanations of the different shops, but the teeny-tiny bits of food we got were really very unsatisfying. And our guide was carrying them around with her! They weren't even *at* the shops! That activity could definitely do with a big boost.

I'm also very jealous of all the good ramen you guys had! I obviously should have been more diligent finding ramen places!! :)

Sayhello

You are doing so well with this report, I feel like such a slacker!! :) I keep thinking I'm almost done with the next installment, but for some reason, Miyajima/Hiroshima is taking a lot of effort to get down. *Hopefully* in the next day or two!

Anyways, I can't help you much with the meal at Kamakura beach. I remember how hard it was to get a drink of water, and the very delicious fried chicken fingers, and the tiny but delicious portion of chocolate cake/brownie. That's about it. I know there was more, but for some reason, it just wasn't that memorable. We got stuck in traffic, and got there REALLY late, so I think we were all just grateful to get food and EAT it!

I'm one of the ones that *loved* the open-air museum! Everyone is different, eh? But I TOTALLY agree with you about the lame excuse for a food tour in Takayama!! I enjoyed walking around the old town, and our guide's explanations of the different shops, but the teeny-tiny bits of food we got were really very unsatisfying. And our guide was carrying them around with her! They weren't even *at* the shops! That activity could definitely do with a big boost.

I'm also very jealous of all the good ramen you guys had! I obviously should have been more diligent finding ramen places!! :)

Sayhello
You need to get yours up so I can remember all the stuff I forgot, LOL!! Hiroshima was such a great day I can see why it would take some time!
We didn't have the same traffic issue that I recall. I just remember having to go to the bathroom, and it taking forever to get off the bus. A few of us wanted to go ahead, but the guides were sticklers about not letting people do that. It was the first time that's happened on a trip, and they really should have let us since there were only 2 bathrooms and everyone had to go! The line took forever.
LOL, I had a feeling you would love the open air museum. Most of the people did. My family was probably in the minority but there were definitely some people who were in our camp.
I'm with you 100% on the "food" tour. It would have been better if it hadn't been advertised as a food tour.
Ah, I'm a total ramen head. I could have helped you out there. DS and DD are, too. DH likes it but doesn't love it for every meal like we do, LOL.

You need to get yours up so I can remember all the stuff I forgot, LOL!! Hiroshima was such a great day I can see why it would take some time!
We didn't have the same traffic issue that I recall. I just remember having to go to the bathroom, and it taking forever to get off the bus. A few of us wanted to go ahead, but the guides were sticklers about not letting people do that. It was the first time that's happened on a trip, and they really should have let us since there were only 2 bathrooms and everyone had to go! The line took forever.
LOL, I had a feeling you would love the open air museum. Most of the people did. My family was probably in the minority but there were definitely some people who were in our camp.
I'm with you 100% on the "food" tour. It would have been better if it hadn't been advertised as a food tour.
Ah, I'm a total ramen head. I could have helped you out there. DS and DD are, too. DH likes it but doesn't love it for every meal like we do, LOL.
The traffic along the beach in Kamakura was HORRIBLE. Literally crawling for at *least* an hour. You could tell James and Tomomi would probably have gotten out & pushed the bus if it would have helped!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter