• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ABD Ireland plus traveling tips

dejnosluvmickey

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are planning on doing Ireland in 2010. Unlike any other trip we have done, we are doing this one alone and leaving all 6 of our children at home. We just got off the DCL and that was a blast with all kids. I think between passports and airfare, it will cost way too much $$ for us to take 6 kids under the age of 14 (in 2010), and the baby will only be 3.

I plan to pay for my sister and her husband; and my husbands brother and his wife. They will be getting x-mas presents for atleast 5 years for this trip. Thank goodness grandma is going to stay back and watch all the kids. =)

I was also thinking of staying a little befor the ABD and a little after. If I'm going to go to Ireland I want to see as much of it as possible so I am thinking 2 weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions of interesting thigs to do that are not on the tours??

I had someone give me wonderful tips when we did DCL, so I will try to share a few of them here.

#1. Buy 2 Gallon zip lock bags and pack each outfit for each day in one. Put everything in from socks to undergarments. If you are going somewhere warm and going to go swimming put in a swimsuit for each day (nothing worse than having to put on a wet swimsuit full of sand). When you change clothes for the day...put the dirty ones back in the bag. =) less time figuring out what is clean and what is dirty.

#2 Pack your shoes in ziplock bags. If they get dirty or muddy you don't get mud in your suitcase.

#3 Pack your suit case in a larger suitcase. If you stay longer, you have enough room for all of the stuff you have bought along the way.

#4 Purchase underwater cameras in advance. In places you dive, they can cost you more than $20. Get them at home from Walmart and they are only $15.

#5 Make sure you have any medications you may need. Not only perscription, but OTC's. My daughter needed a dose of benadryl when we were in the bahamas...$9 for a $3 bottle. You can get a lot of single dose medications at the local pharmacy. Headache medicine is a must. Band-aids and sunscreen should be taken too.

#6 Long trips with kids...pack "acitivites" like coloring books and activity books. Older kids...make sure you have enough batteries or power cords for DVD players and IPods.

#7 If your going to a country that English isn't the first language...Know how to say a few choice sentances or get a translation book that you can point to. Aslo before you leave on your own...grab a business card of the hotel you are staying at. If you get lost, simply pull out the card and someone can point you in the right direction.

#8 I think this one is the best....pack 1/2 of your clothes in your suitcase and 1/2 of your husbands in yours. Pack the other 1/2's in the other suitcase. If one gets lost then you still have 1/2 of your clothes =)

#9 Have a plan...plan in advance but be understanding that sometimes things change. Sometimes I make a back up plan.

I hope this helps =) I'm no master of travel, but I do travel with 6 kids...7 if you count my husband.

Since I've hopefully helped someone......maybe some advice on don't miss's in Ireland???

Hummm...I thought atleast 1 person would have atleast a few ideas for me.

:wave2: dejnosluvmickey....you're name is familiar....were you on the SSMC 2008? DH and I were. We had a blast too.
We are also planning a trip to Ireland 2010 through Adventures by Disney.
Thanks so much for the tips.....very helpful.

I too am looking for ideas, suggestions and places to go that are not on the list.
Any help would be appreciated.

Take care:flower3:

:wave2: dejnosluvmickey....you're name is familiar....were you on the SSMC 2008? DH and I were. We had a blast too.
We are also planning a trip to Ireland 2010 through Adventures by Disney.
Thanks so much for the tips.....very helpful.

I too am looking for ideas, suggestions and places to go that are not on the list.
Any help would be appreciated.

Yes we were on the SSMC 2008. I was the one hearding the 6 children. =) We had a wonderful time.

I've bought a few books on Ireland..and have even looked at a few other guided tours. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of something they may have 'missed'.

I'm glad you found the suggestions helpful. I like to find the easiest way to do things. With so many traveling with us I have to find ways to simplify things. =)

I have been to Ireland a couple of times - I don't know what is included in your tour, but some things I enjoyed - tour of Waterford Crystal factory, Powers Court gardens, Dublin City tour, Cliffs of Mohr, Ring of Kerry, Giant's Causeway, Aran Islands and Galway(my favorite city).
The best things are the unplanned - driving along a country road and finding an old castle ruin, waiting for the sheep to get off the road, or visiting with the very friendly people in the pubs.
The people are some of the friendliest I have ever met. I actually had folks come up to me on the streets as I was struggling with a map and ask me if I needed directions or help and then led me to where I wanted to go! :lovestruc
Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have the time of your life - Enjoy!

:wave2: beequeen
Thank you very much for your information.
We are planning on going through Adventures by Disney. It's 8days 7nights Dublin, Killarney and Shannon. I read on Day 7 they take you to an excursion to the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher.
This is the trip of a life time for me.......my husband and I are planning on going in 2010.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter