ABD Backstage Magic 4/17 - 4/22/11

I listened to the podcast announcements right when I got up this morning (and was 20 mins late for work!!!) and it got me even more excited! Looking forward to touring with Pete, Walter, Teresa, and Kathy! We're going to have so much fun! And I'm glad Teresa is going bc I'm sure I'll be crying over everything and she tears up all the time too LOL :goodvibes

I listened to the podcast announcements right when I got up this morning (and was 20 mins late for work!!!) and it got me even more excited! Looking forward to touring with Pete, Walter, Teresa, and Kathy! We're going to have so much fun! And I'm glad Teresa is going bc I'm sure I'll be crying over everything and she tears up all the time too LOL :goodvibes

I know I'll probably shed a few tears in Walt's apartment. I am looking forward to spending time with Pete, Walter, Teresa, and Kathy as well! I did briefly meet Pete, Walter, and Teresa at the Disney Institute Behind the Scenes tour. I remember they got to see Walt's apartment and I was so jealous. This trip I will be able to go up there! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

I know I'll probably shed a few tears in Walt's apartment. I am looking forward to spending time with Pete, Walter, Teresa, and Kathy as well! I did briefly meet Pete, Walter, and Teresa at the Disney Institute Behind the Scenes tour. I remember they got to see Walt's apartment and I was so jealous. This trip I will be able to go up there! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

LOL glad to hear you're a crier too!!! I was tearing up just listening to Pete and Walter talk about people getting emotional. And after a ton of times in MK at WDW I still get choked up every time I walk in. I'll probably be on the ground seeing DL's Main Street for the first time in April. This trip is going to be great!!!!! I've never been so excited to fall apart in front of people I don't know :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Thanks for all the info Jason! I'll be looking for flights like crazy once they come out! I am considering coming out before or staying after. I think going before would be good - esp for the time change. Plus it would be cool to check out Downtown Disney and some other stuff nearby. I guess I'll decide more as it gets closer! I wonder how many people are signed up for this trip so far? If it will be a big group or a little smaller?

Hi Susan,

It looks like Continental has come out with flights out of Newark for April. I'm been checking daily, right now its about $450-$470 round trip.

Jason

Hi Susan,

It looks like Continental has come out with flights out of Newark for April. I'm been checking daily, right now its about $450-$470 round trip.

Jason

Did you purchase yet? I'm going to wait a while to see if I'm going to come early, stay later, or both. LOL too early to figure that all out now!! Thanks for letting me know and keep me posted!!

Did you purchase yet? I'm going to wait a while to see if I'm going to come early, stay later, or both. LOL too early to figure that all out now!! Thanks for letting me know and keep me posted!!

I haven't purchased yet...hoping to do so sometime this month!

Jason:goodvibes

Hello everyone! I just wanted to pop in and say hi. I will be joining all of you on the trip in April. :thumbsup2

A little bit about me -- I'm a certified Disney nut, I'm a DVC owner at Kidani Village, and I have 2 more trips planned to the world this year including the Food and Wine Festival and a trip in December for my birthday.

I live in New Jersey -- I noticed a couple others (Susan and Jason) are from New Jersey as well. Susan, I live about 20 minutes from the outlets in Jackson (I'm in Robbinsville).

I've only been to Disneyland once before, but it was about 20 years ago so I really don't even remember being there. Really looking forward to going back again.:cool1:

Right now I'm looking into adding 2 extra nights at the end of the trip -- I figure I won't want to leave and probably won't get back to California anytime soon. I think I'll probably fly in on the day of the trip. Anyone else adding days to the end?

Looking forward to getting to know all of you!:)

Hello everyone! I just wanted to pop in and say hi. I will be joining all of you on the trip in April. :thumbsup2

A little bit about me -- I'm a certified Disney nut, I'm a DVC owner at Kidani Village, and I have 2 more trips planned to the world this year including the Food and Wine Festival and a trip in December for my birthday.

I live in New Jersey -- I noticed a couple others (Susan and Jason) are from New Jersey as well. Susan, I live about 20 minutes from the outlets in Jackson (I'm in Robbinsville).

I've only been to Disneyland once before, but it was about 20 years ago so I really don't even remember being there. Really looking forward to going back again.:cool1:

Right now I'm looking into adding 2 extra nights at the end of the trip -- I figure I won't want to leave and probably won't get back to California anytime soon. I think I'll probably fly in on the day of the trip. Anyone else adding days to the end?

Looking forward to getting to know all of you!:)

Hi Robin! Great to hear you are going as well! I'm also a Disney nut - or a "Fellow Disney Freak" as my friend and I call each other! I own at SSR! I'm getting ready to leave for VWL/BCV on Monday and can't wait! What dates are you going in December? I'll be there the 14-19 staying at OKW. Another ABDer from this trip will be there as well. We should have a mini-pre-meet if you are there at the same time LOL!

I'm about 10 -15 minutes from the outlets! I love going there. I have never been to DL but am really looking forward to it! I would like to add days at the end - but do have to work that Monday. Was even thinking of flying in a day early to adjust to the time a bit. Did you see the points at VGC??? Wow - they are so high! So maybe another place nearby. Where were you thinking of staying? Are you flying out of Philadelphia or Newark?

Hi Robin! Great to hear you are going as well! I'm also a Disney nut - or a "Fellow Disney Freak" as my friend and I call each other! I own at SSR! I'm getting ready to leave for VWL/BCV on Monday and can't wait! What dates are you going in December? I'll be there the 14-19 staying at OKW. Another ABDer from this trip will be there as well. We should have a mini-pre-meet if you are there at the same time LOL!

I'm about 10 -15 minutes from the outlets! I love going there. I have never been to DL but am really looking forward to it! I would like to add days at the end - but do have to work that Monday. Was even thinking of flying in a day early to adjust to the time a bit. Did you see the points at VGC??? Wow - they are so high! So maybe another place nearby. Where were you thinking of staying? Are you flying out of Philadelphia or Newark?

Susan, I know several "Fellow Disney Freaks" myself! One of my best friends owns at BLT and she is way more Disney obsessed than me.

I love those outlets too -- maybe we'll run into each other at the Disney outlet sometime! It's the only one around here, although they are reopening the store in the Freehold Raceway Mall sometime later this fall. It will be nice to have the Disney store nearby again:thumbsup2

I'd love to fly in early too, but I think I'd rather spend the money at the back end and enjoy some more time at the parks. I actually took off on Monday so am thinking of adding 2 nights and taking the red eye back on Sunday night. I'm wondering what the impact of Easter will be at the parks though. It could be crazy crowded:scared1: But I think I'll do it anyway since I probably won't have the opportunity to go back to CA. I will most likely fly Continental out of Newark. I can't remember the last time I flew out of Philly. Where do you think you'll fly out of?

The points for GCV are crazy -- I know they're higher because it's a holiday but they seem higher overall at all times of the year compared to WDW. I *think* at this point I am leaning toward paying cash for the 2 extra nights at the Grand Californian, even though the prices are crazy. I just love my DVC and I don't think I'll be as happy if I move someplace else. It's a lot of money though (and I'm going solo so already paying the single supplement) so I have to decide if I want to splurge. Is there anyplace specific you were thinking of staying for the extra days?

My dates in December are 12/11-12/17 and I'll be at AKV, so we will be there at the same time. I would love to meet up with you and any others from this trip that will be around. It will be nice to meet in person before the trip :goodvibes You're going to have a great time on your upcoming trip -- I'm staying at BCV for the first time in Oct and can't wait!! Are you packed yet?

Susan, I know several "Fellow Disney Freaks" myself! One of my best friends owns at BLT and she is way more Disney obsessed than me.

I love those outlets too -- maybe we'll run into each other at the Disney outlet sometime! It's the only one around here, although they are reopening the store in the Freehold Raceway Mall sometime later this fall. It will be nice to have the Disney store nearby again:thumbsup2

I'd love to fly in early too, but I think I'd rather spend the money at the back end and enjoy some more time at the parks. I actually took off on Monday so am thinking of adding 2 nights and taking the red eye back on Sunday night. I'm wondering what the impact of Easter will be at the parks though. It could be crazy crowded:scared1: But I think I'll do it anyway since I probably won't have the opportunity to go back to CA. I will most likely fly Continental out of Newark. I can't remember the last time I flew out of Philly. Where do you think you'll fly out of?

The points for GCV are crazy -- I know they're higher because it's a holiday but they seem higher overall at all times of the year compared to WDW. I *think* at this point I am leaning toward paying cash for the 2 extra nights at the Grand Californian, even though the prices are crazy. I just love my DVC and I don't think I'll be as happy if I move someplace else. It's a lot of money though (and I'm going solo so already paying the single supplement) so I have to decide if I want to splurge. Is there anyplace specific you were thinking of staying for the extra days?

My dates in December are 12/11-12/17 and I'll be at AKV, so we will be there at the same time. I would love to meet up with you and any others from this trip that will be around. It will be nice to meet in person before the trip :goodvibes You're going to have a great time on your upcoming trip -- I'm staying at BCV for the first time in Oct and can't wait!! Are you packed yet?

I was at the Freehold Mall last week and saw the "Coming Soon" sign on the Disney store! I can't wait for it to open. I go to the outlets more than the mall though, but once it opens again maybe I'll visit there more :)

I can't take off that Monday bc I work in a school and we aren't allowed to take off the day after a break. I would love to add 2 days on though and leave on Sunday. If I'm tired at work that Monday - I don't care haha! I haven't really looked into where just yet. I'd love to stay at GCV. I wonder if there will be any DVC or AP discounts at that time for rooms there? We'll have to check as it gets closer. :thumbsup2 Were you looking for a roommate? Did you check out the thread for solo travelers looking? My roommate and I met up on one of the threads - so it should be a lot of fun!! :woohoo: Let's def set something up for December.

I love AKV! I stayed in a Jambo House studio for my b-day in '08. It was awesome! I haven't packed yet - but that will be my focus of the weekend. :scared1: Excited to stay at VWL as I've never stayed there. This is the 4th trip to BCV and that's my favorite! :goodvibes 4 more days.....:dance3:

:yay: Another ABDer! :banana:

Hello! I'm going on the trip and will be sharing a room with Susan. I will also be at WDW in Dec. I am going on the Podcast Cruise Dec. 12-16 and then staying at Pop until the 23rd. There is a unofficial podcast cruise event on Dec. 17 at Epcot. I don't know if you would want to stay another day for that. If not then maybe we can all meet up on the 16th?

I'm not really sure how crowded DL will be after the ABD trip. But I do know that Friday and Saturday are blockout days for all AP holders except premiums. So there won't be as many passholders those days.

I thought I would share some information about DL as I am not sure how much everyone knows about the differences between DL and WDW. I have a premium AP (well actually a premier pass since I also have a WDW AP). I go to DL quite often. This year I have probably been 7 or 8 times.

As you probably know DL is a lot smaller than WDW. It only takes maybe a minute to walk from DL's entrance to DCA's entrance. It is only a 5 minute walk to the onsite hotels. It can also be a 5 or 10 minute walk to an offsite hotel. I always stay offsite as it is much cheaper. I use Priceline and usually get a 3 1/2 star hotel for $50-$60 a night with all taxes and fees included. Some hotels may charge a resort fee or parking so it could add another $15-20 to the price. I usually get the Hyatt, Sheraton, Marriot, Crown Plaza, or Hilton for that price. If you want to be within walking distance to DL, I would not take a chance with Priceline. Most hotels have ART (Anaheim Resort Transit) or free shuttles. I don't remember how much ART is, but it usually leaves about every 30 min. A lot of people on the Disneyland boards love Hojos and I have also read that the Candy Cane Inn is a good hotel. I've never stayed there as Priceline is usually cheaper and I always drive down to DL, so being close to the parks isn't a big deal for me.

There is a huge price difference in staying onsite vs. offsite. For example, currently the price for 2 nights after the trip at DL Paradise Pier is $725, the Grand Californian is over $1,000 and Hojos is $320. If you took a gamble on Priceline, you might be paying $100-120 for two nights. Of course there is always the possibility of discounts, but I am not sure how often DL offers discounts. I know you wrote that you wanted to stay at the Grand Californian, but I thought I would give you some information just in case. Also, hopefully it will help out any other ABDers who are thinking about staying pre or post ABD.

I hope that helps out a bit. If anyone else has questions about DL or hotels, feel free to ask. I would also recommend checking out the Disneyland board as there is tons of information there about hotels, the differences between WDW, Fastpass info, how to plan your day, etc...

I can't wait for the trip! Hopefully we can meet up at WDW in December. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter