ABCs of A Trip Worth Waiting For + PNWMM: P: A Practically Perfect Pacific NW Mouse Meet- pg. 26

If you know me at all, you’ll realize that if there is ANY chance of watching a live music performance, I’mma gonna take it.

Me too! I love the live performances.

f they change that scene, I will be one of the sorely disappointed!

I do not like this at all. They are depicting something that actually happen in history. Plus it's classic Disney.

Yes, I was rather chilly, so ended up buying yet another $485 sweatshirt.

DH has fell victim to this too. We ended up spending way too much on a Donald sweatshirt he will only wear in Disney. We also ended up spending too much on a blanket ne very chilly night while waiting to see Fantasmic.

To Infinity and Beyond!

IMG_9784.jpg

Too cute!

During the hiatus, there were several announcements made that there was a chance that the Fireworks show would be cancelled due to high winds.

I hate this announcements. Such a feeling of dread.

Enjoy the shots I did get:

These are fabulous. I really like the castle projections too.

About halfway through, they abruptly stopped and an announcement came on saying it was just too windy to continue.

Bummer. I'm glad you got to see some of it. And you did get to head back to a warm shower and dry pants.

Side note: Are clams truly happy? I wonder about these things… usually around 2:00 AM when Brain won’t shut up. If clams are happy in the salty sand, is there anything that would make them happier? Can clams be unhappy? What life lessons can we learn from clams???

I don't know. They ain't talking.

I do know, from Jim Gaffigan, that there is no such thing as a happy camper. Whenever you use that phrase, it's always in the negative. "He is NOT a happy camper." Gaffigan says the happy camper is the guy who's leaving, because he gets to take a shower.

The 5 of us did have a destination and reservation, and this was one not to be missed! By some act of pixie dust and magic, Alison and Fran, being the locals they are, scored an invitation to Club 33 for our little group.

Woohoo! The fairy godmother strikes again!

Actually, the skipping part was also only in my heart because it was so freaking crowded in the park (scary crowded!), and there was no room from skipping.

Plus @pkondz needs room to sashay. Lots going on here.

From a jealous distance, I would envy the members and yearn to be chosen to serve or host "up there". I'm pretty sure you'd have to work there a million years before scoring a position at The Club. The fact that I couldn’t even see it made me want to visit it all the more. Never, ever in my wildest fantasies, did I think I’d have a chance to set foot inside such a coveted piece of real estate during my lifetime, let alone have lunch for an afternoon.

I'm SO glad you got the chance to experience it!:goodvibes

Hey, you guys scrub up pretty well! Not much you can do with the one in the middle, I understand.

You know, the kind with a little box of nice, thick towels to wipe your hands and a bowl of mints, and other complimentary things to freshen up with?

:confused3

I don't think they do these things in guys' bathrooms.

(Kay found a hidden Darth Vader in a race she and I had over one picture that Alison pointed out.)

A hidden Darth Vader?? Why aren't there more of these around?

Actually, I can’t speak for the others, but I saw a lot of food consumed during the meal, which usually testifies to one’s state of appetite. (With 3 exceptions: Thanksgiving Dinner, pizza and lasagna. Those are always consumed far beyond the point of one being “full”. Hungry or not, I have no problem eating those until the Heartburn Ogre declares a win.)

Thanksgiving and the Super Bowl: my 2 days to eat as much crap as I want without feeling guilty in the least!

I also did the wine pairing and found myself… ummmm… on the snockered side by the time I walked out (yes, I did walk out).

NOW is the time to do It's a Small World!

This experience was truly a once-in-a-lifetime treat, one I’ll never forget. (And yes, your wisecracks aside, I do remember all of it. )

I'm glad it was all you'd hope it would be, even if you are short-circuiting the wisecracks.

If you know me at all, you’ll realize that if there is ANY chance of watching a live music performance, I’mma gonna take it. Every time. If there’s a banjo, even better.

Did you know it's impossible to play a sad song on the banjo?

We rode and enjoyed it just as much as ever. Yes, we did yell out, "We wants the Red Head!" If they change that scene, I will be one of the sorely disappointed!

I understand the reasoning for the change, but I still come down on the side of preferring to preserve the ride. My favorite commentary I read on the subject:

"Now at the end of the ride, the pirates will plant trees and participate in a recycling program." :rotfl2:

If someone in our family says they have IBS, they aren’t talking about cramping or the need for Lomtil. They’re talking about having Itchy Butt Syndrome- an affliction that should be added to the Handbook of Effective Torture Methods. Waterboarding has NOTHING on post Wet-Disney-Ride IBS.

And it's not a Disney ride unless they spray you with water somewhere...

Yes, I was rather chilly, so ended up buying yet another $485 sweatshirt. Those are the only kind they sell in the Emporium.

Truth.::yes::

(Hey, Lady, I’ll trade you a corn dog for an invitation to The Club! :rolleyes:)

Let me know if that works!

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Saw that one on FB. What an awesome shot.

And…. stunted. About halfway through, they abruptly stopped and an announcement came on saying it was just too windy to continue.

Well...that sucks.

I'm going to try and slowly dig my way out of the void of replies I've managed to do this month. Pathetic.

That sounds to me like no time to catch up! I'd be spending the free time that I had eating and sleeping! :eek: Have a great trip, and I hope your Lasagna DIS meet is a success!

I get so few opportunities now...

And after vacation and pigging out to dizzying degrees, I'd better lay off the eating for a while.

As for sleeping...

The lasagna Meet will have to be commented on by the consumer. I cannot judge my own lasagna. Only the company which was,.... well, you've met him and know just as well as I do... pretty fabulous!

Can happen to anyone.

Did I mention how I knocked over a glass of wine at a wedding?

Mine?

With everyone (about 150 people) watching?

No, you didn't!! Would you care to take a moment to share this momentous occasion with my dear readers? (and me? I can already tell it's going to be a good one!)

Then when you're done, I'll tell you about how Andrew made a funny slip like that at his wedding.

I do believe he has an opinion.

A stupid one... but an opinion.

It IS a stupid opinion. Corvettes are a very good quality machine and have won its own fair share of races.

Flight time Winnipeg - Portland 5 hours.

That enough?

Yes, I only need 3. So with the extra 2, I'll clean the bathroom.

You're welcome.

Nah. I'd never order an English muffin.
Maybe if I look at their menu?

Hmmm..... sorry, no photos whatsoever. I do remember thinking, "Ummm, is that all?!"

:laughing: So did you check? Were you right?

It was Enterprise. And they treated me just as well as last time.

At the time, I couldn't see the photo.

Ah.

(It's been so long now, I have no idea what we were even talking about.)

No worries. We know you're busy!

Nothing new under the sun. Ain't gonna change anytime soon either.

Thanks for your prayers. I am not sure about the time off without pay. That has not been allowed at my current job, but we also had more time off. I can't really afford more than a day or two. I hear you on the rental home. We would like to sell ours but need to fix it up some first and just can't swing it. We are continually putting our fix up money into basic maintenance stuff and
The mortgage is more than the rent right now. Our renters pay every month, so I have been dragging my feet on making any changes.

Hey Tammie,

How are things now??

You've been on my mind a bit lately!

Have a fun flight, and a good travel day. Hope your visit is extra special.

Thanks! I did!! It was a fabulous, wonderful trip!

This summer seems to be the more controlled chaos. I guess relative to last summer which was very uncontrolled. I have lots of very young ( high school age) staff and well a certain amount of angst goes along with that. Hopefully we settle for a bit then once August hits we do it all over again. :rolleyes:

I guess that goes with the business? How are things now? I think you also had a trip in there somewhere? Or are about to have one?

Well, how about this? A TR that I've missed for the last 2 months? Go figure. Well, I've caught up... not commenting on everything, but there were just a few things I picked out.

Oh! You mean this TR that after you've commented on I go an ignore for about a month?

Sorry, Andy, a bit of chaos going on right now! But I'm getting there, now that I'm back. Now...

if only my family members would stop getting in car wrecks!

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: I mean, didn't they have food coloring back in the old days? :rolleyes1 :duck:

:rotfl:

Why use that when you can poison the water supply and possibly small children as well?!

Well, if you're going to commit a party foul, go big in the classiest place you can find. That's actually some impressive service that they refilled your drink.

It how I roll! Go big, or go home!

How does one go about leaving $1000-$1500 worth of camera gear laying around, not once, but twice in the same day??? You'd think those extra 40 minutes on the road would have taught you that lesson.

Oh, did you think this story was over yet? Surely you jest...

Congrats Gramma!!!!!

Hey, as long as they throw in a ", Please take me to Disneyland!" after the Gramma bit, I'm ok with that!

Ok TR Readers Extraordinaire!

I've got a start, sputtering as it is, on replies here. Who knew that after I got back, we'd have BIG TIME family drama go down. (If that makes no sense to you, and you weren't aware of the near miss with my SIL, please refer to my other TR- link in Siggie). So please accept my apologies for being pretty behind on commenting and stuff.

I'll get there, but class tonight.

I am working an overnight Wednesday night and might be able to do a little bit then too, and will keep at it this afternoon maaaaaaaaybe if I get tired of studying.

Okay, carry on!

Hey Tammie,

How are things now??

You've been on my mind a bit lately!
Awe thanks for asking. I am just busy finishing up. I've been encouraged by so many to look for another job, so I may do that. The new job starts Aug 1st. The crew over there is nice, and mom and dad are moving two states away, so I may make it. At this point I am getting a nice bonus to finish July, so I will stick it out.

Glad to hear your SIL is on the mend. Praying for a quick recovery.

Wow! Look at all of you Hoity Toities! You all clean up nice -especially PKondz! I'm so excited you got to do Club 33! Thank you for sharing, and I love your souvies!

Thank you Tammie! It was a lovely, lovely afternoon, made even moreso by having lovely tablemates!

I do say I think you might be getting accustomed to the swankiest of Disney Dining. Yes, with capital D's. And you all looked very nice, what a special treat. Although, you may have my share of escargot; I fear they are not for me, and I have tried them once. :{

Yes, sadly I am. I usually hit up at least 2 or 3 signature dining restaurants every trip now, mostly because I just don't want burgers and fries anymore. But also because I really enjoy the quieter atmosphere so I can have a break from the crowds and noise. I'm on a mini quest to try as many Disney restaurants as I can. :)

I'm not sure I'd like them if I had not tried them as a small girl urged on by my French Gramma. She got me to love frog legs, headcheese, and brains too.

Oh, I am so happy that you were able to eat there, I knew you would love it!! And especially with your personal history of working in New Orleans Square!

It was a huge treat for me. I'd often wonder while working at BB what it was like "up there". :)

I got the pin as well - and shot glasses that I since haven't used... But admire them every time I open my "good glass ware cupboard".
Yeah, I figured I'd actually USE my wine stopper now and then, so went with that.

(Ask me how many times I've used it... :sad2:)

You mentioning Mucha (and I think you mentioned him in a previous update, too) reminds me of my visit to Prague last summer- not only Mucha's home town, but what an amazing variety of the most over the top Art Nouveau buildings. You should put Prague on your list of places to visit in Europe for the next time you are here (oh - and I have to admit that their castle tops Nuremberg's castle by a fair bit.).

OH man!! I would LOVE to visit Prague someday! Budapest too. But Prague sounds amazing! I didn't know that's where Mucha called home. And a better castle you say? Yes, please! Someday, I"ll get myself back to Europe and get to more places than the last couple of times.

Reply below is courtesy of Google...

The original full phrase is "Happy as a clam in high water". Clams can only be "harvested/dug up" during low tide - so when the tide is high, they are less likely to be captured, cooked and eaten.

You're welcome. :teeth:

Thank you for that! More useless information that I'll probably actually remember, for the mere fact it IS useless! :rolleyes2

Well I'm glad that you were able to clean yourself all up. :lmao:

Me too! IBS is real.

It was a Hurricane. Signature glass, plus it's a New Orleans favorite.

DUH! I can't believe I brain farted on that one.

So beautiful!

Technically it was a clarinet...but who's keeping track. :rolleyes1

Clarinet, sax...

OY!

I think what I had possibly in the back of my mind was that funky and cool piece of art made from musical instruments. That was neat!

Yes, you were a little schnockered! Sounds a little better with the "sch" it's a little bit more slurring that way. But you did make it through the rest of the day and you did walk out of there, even down the stairs without falling down! :lmao:

It was close. ;)

I'm very curious to know how one would birth a child in one's heart. That seems like quite the anatomical feat of wonder. :scared1:

That is a dang good question! Hmmm...?

I think there was some faulty syntax going on there.

Very cool. @franandaj did good with her pixie dust. pixiedust:

Yes, She did!!!

Good thing you weren't on an alphabetical quest at the time.
For realz! That might have ended really badly.

Love the napkin folding. I don't think I've seen the customary purse stools, but it sounds vaguely familiar from your V&A discussion.

All in all, seems like a good meal and a fun experience!

Yes, puts the dining experience squarely into the hoity-toity category.

The food was superb, and the company even moreso!

Wow a meal in club 33.
You have joined a club of a very few privlaged people that manage to get in there.Fran and Alison did you proud by getting your self Pkondz and kay in to one of the most exclusive resturants in California.A memory that will last a life time I bet.
How was your first flight with yourself at the controls I bet that was just as good as eating in Club 33.

Yes, and have photos and a pin to prove it! ;)

They are 2 find ladies for sure! Just lovely, lovely people. :)

I actually didn't end up flying that day, and STILL haven't! Lame!!!

But now that the house has sold and I"m back from vacation, I really need to make this a priority!

So, I've got a Disneyland/Anaheim Convention Center area question. I was doing some Expedia searching, and went ahead and made a reservation at the Super-8, since it had the highest ratings of anywhere cheap that seemed walkable to the Convention Center. It seems like that area should be pedestrian friendly. (It's on Katella, in or next to the GardenWalk area). I feel like driving would be annoying due to all the Disney traffic - is that a reasonable assumption? Everything closer seems to be more expensive, not good reviews, or something else - I haven't looked at *every* possibility, but some. It's just a reservation, so I'm thinking of also reserving something at somewhere a little nicer if the budget can increase, but I'm not sure which is more important - nicer hotel, or proximity. (And if I have to drive, then I have to pay to park, too, and they are doing construction on the convention center parking, if I understand correctly). I don't mind walking 10-15 minutes, since we will be sitting a lot during the day, but I also prefer to walk places where it is actually pedestrian friendly.

(ETA: I'm tagging @franandaj since she knows the area, even if she would probably never consider staying at a Super 8!)

I'm going to let you and the others discuss this! I've only ever stayed at the Anabella (which meets its demise next month. RIP!) so don't really have good answers.

I am a tired mama. So what does my brain latch onto in the last post? Not the awesomeness of where you ate. Which is AWESOME and EPIC. But the clam thing. And I can't shake it. So I had to know. And I found this link.

https://www.quora.com/Phrase-Origins-Where-does-the-saying-happy-as-a-clam-come-from

Mystery solved. On to better things!!! :lmao:

Aw, Kat... why tired?

And yes, umm, thanks for that. LOLOLOL!! Inquiring minds and all that, ya know... ;)

Glad that you had a great time at that restaurant and get to experience it. Even though it is nice, I really missed the old one. I do miss going through Court of Angels before it was changed for the m

Me too, Bret! Such a lovely affair!

Pat O's is a legendary bar in the Quarter. http://www.patobriens.com/patobriens/default.asp They made hurricane's (drink) famous. I met Anita and Marc there a couple of years ago.

Ahhh, ok. Makes sense now. ;)

Well, if I ever make it down to NOLA, Pat O's will be on my list for sure!

What a Lovely picture this makes.
Can't think of anything more exciting or fun!

What a beautiful picture. Ya'll look fabulous!

Awwww, thanks! It was fun being in the parks a bit more on the swanky side.

I like to check out the swanky loos too.

Some of them are quite nice these days. I mean where else in the world can you find themed potties?! I love the Norway one!

I see Allison already helped you with this. Having never been there I thought when I saw it that it looked a lot like a hurricane from Pat O's.

Yes! And I all like, "duh!" when we she said it.

Love all the little special touches. 1967 was a very good year if I do say so myself.

I think it's quickly becoming... vintage.

I'm so happy for you! What a special treat and memory of a lifetime.

Absolutely! Just a precious memory to always have now.

Yes. I remember that. You snagged her storage area, relegating me to lugging mine on my shoulder.
To the swift fall the rewards.

You snooze, you lose.

This has already been answered by a couple people, but.... I'm happy enough eating them.
Actually I had clams just last week. It was really good too!

I love them too. Not often, but sometimes. Especially in pasta or chowder!

I assume this was on your trip?

Yeah, I figured I'd actually USE my wine stopper now and then, so went with that.

(Ask me how many times I've used it... :sad2:)

That's kind of like the thing I read once Martha's (Stewart) world vs My World....

Martha: Freeze leftover wine in ice cube trays for use in sauces.

Me: Leftover wine? :lmao:

There was an old gal with us?
I only remember an old fart (me of course) and beautiful young ladies.

1967.... vintage. ;)

I had no idea. When I was told about it, it was pretty much the first I'd heard of it.
I think I had in passing, but, since I'd never get in there (wrong!!! :)) I relegated it to the dusty cobwebs of my mind.

I'm glad you could experience it too! Very fun treat!

So that's what the puddle was! I just assumed you'd spilled a drink again.

Oopsies! Just yesterday I spilled my entire LARGE water all over Starbucks.

I didn't stop there.

I also spilled (just a little and not enough to really burn her) some hot coffee on my barista's hand 15 minutes later.

So, peeing and spilling. All in a day's work.

Oh, thank goodness.
I didn't say anything, since I had no frame of reference.
But I do remember thinking it was insanely crowded.

Summertime crowds. They suck.

:laughing: I'd like to see that someday.

I also have been known to sway with the Dapper Dans, dance a bit with the Jazz Groups, and tap my foot with the marching band. It's how I roll.

This goes back a long ways. I'm really glad you were finally able to realize your dream.

:goodvibes

:) I'm very happy for you!
Heck... I'm happy for me too!!

:bitelip::bitelip::bitelip:

So that's what it's called! I've been calling it "This lounge that was beside the restaurant"

But, point of order, it would be "Le" Salon Nouveau.

Fine, Mr. French Guy.

LE Salon Nouveau.

At least mine was 2/3 more accurate than "lounge that was beside the restaurant". :lmao:

Nice shot of two beautiful ladies.
Too bad the ol' geezer is blocking you both.

Actually, that's very uncharacteristic of me. I'd almost always put myself behind two such lovely ladies. You both deserve to be out front and be the center of attention.

With THAT Avatar looking leg of mine?! No! Best to stay BEHIND someone! (What the heck?!!?)

How about 'opulent'?

Works for me! Opulent, it is!

And I think that's mine in the background. No idea either. Maybe @franandaj knows?

A flip of some sort, since it had egg whites.

As Alison pointed out, it was a clarinet... But it wasn't an animated image. It was an actual clarinet... and it moved.

When I said animated I meant in the sense that it moved. Or rather played the music. Not as in cartoon... but yes... it was a clarinet. :)

Ah! So that explains a certain incident that took place about two weeks ago.......

Well, that doesn't sound good...:scared:

Happy 29th birthday Club 33!

:blush::blush::blush:

That's one of my favourite memories of that trip. Kay's reaction to her stool.

Her face was worth a million bucks! What a great reaction!

I believe you were the only one who ordered that. How was it? I'm not sure I asked?

I think Alison did too! It was very tasty! Just excellent; nicely seared, and flavorful and flaky on the inside.

I didn't know you got those! I know you were talking about getting the pin, but...

Yep! Pretty fancy! Really belongs on a nice decanter or fancy bottle of say, Scotch or Bourbon.

It was absolutely INSANE that week, and the next one too. I was just out there a couple hours ago, and it was amazing how short the waits were. However people with the So Cal resident passes are blocked for the entire month of July.

I usually try to avoid the parks at all costs in the summer. I was swiftly reminded why.

We didn't want to show how much shorter we were than you. :laughing:

Yes. This.

Awwww. C'mon, she was very happy when we left, although you didn't ride on Pirates with us afterwards....
Hey! I was WAY more concerned with being wet and cold at that point that being happy and giggly. Although, I'm sure I was all of that as well. ;)

Nice!! Looks like the show is quite different from Florida, now I'd like to go see it myself - Haunted Mansion projections, so cool!

It is pretty different! It really reminded me of the Hallowishes show from FL, given the projection elements. IKR!!?? The HM part might have been my favorite!

Funny, I just sent you a PM for picture guesses a few minutes ago and mentioned this same thing. Glad to know we are on the same page!

Yes! Just so stupid. Not sure why they constantly have to bend to everything PC when everyone KNOWS it's meant to be tongue and cheek. Seriously, Folks, take your PC elsewhere and leave a classic sight gag alone.

I enjoy the corn dog nuggets at Casey's Corner. I've read that the corn dogs in Disneyland are different and better. Any truth to that? Just curious. I may never get to experience a DL corn dog, but one can always dream.

Yes the Nuggets rock!! Need me a fix!

Yes, they are very good at DLR. THe one from the Little Red Wagon was great! The one at The Castle took me by surprise...and I'll get to that eventually. :)

I can't disagree that it may truly belong in Disneyland, but I am sad that I would have much farther to travel if I ever want to see this treasure again.

I know... I kinda wish they could duplicate it and have two options. A day parade and a night parade. I hope someday you'll get to go to DLR, and experience all it has to offer. It's a very different couple of parks!

I do not like this at all. They are depicting something that actually happen in history. Plus it's classic Disney.

I know. You'd think everyone would have the brains to know that Disney doesn't ACTUALLY condone this. But that it's a sight gag and is kinda funny.

DH has fell victim to this too. We ended up spending way too much on a Donald sweatshirt he will only wear in Disney. We also ended up spending too much on a blanket ne very chilly night while waiting to see Fantasmic.

I wish there would be places with Walmart priced stuff we could buy and then donate to charity after wearing once. Win-win! OH well, I think that's not in the $$ scheme of things.

These are fabulous. I really like the castle projections too.

Thanks! They are mesmerizing to watch; I almost like it more than the fireworks themselves!

Bummer. I'm glad you got to see some of it. And you did get to head back to a warm shower and dry pants.

Me too!! I was not very comfy after getting wet. ;)

Well, if I ever make it down to NOLA, Pat O's will be on my list for sure!

I'll happily join you there.

Some of them are quite nice these days. I mean where else in the world can you find themed potties?! I love the Norway one!

Do you mean the new ones in Epcot? If so I liked them so much when I saw them in May I took pictures.

I think it's quickly becoming... vintage.

Much too soon. Where has the time gone.

Thanks! They are mesmerizing to watch; I almost like it more than the fireworks themselves!

Me too. I loved the new MK show. I wish I had been closer to see more of the projections.

Me too!! I was not very comfy after getting wet. ;)

I'm feeling you. Wet pants are not good.

I is for: I Found It.... Again.

Vacations deserve good food. They also deserve sharing with good friends. Friday was filled with both. Because I was on vacation. And because I meant business. Well in a vacation-y, leisurely sort of way. Vacation also happens to be for sleeping in. Unless you’re at Disney, and then well… then there is no such thing. So, once again, I arose on the early side and readied myself for my first Meet of the Day. It wasn't a DISMeet, it was my mom’s cousin. Carol and her husband contacted me very soon after I announced I’d be in SoCal, and I was thrilled I could have a nice brekkie with them. They are unbelievably gracious people, and agreed to make the drive from Burbank to Anaheim to meet up. I was grateful, because I’d, as you know, already turned in my camera-swallowing rental, so didn’t have a way to go anywhere other than by public transportation.

We chose to try the outdoor restaurant at the Anabella Hotel where I was staying called the Tangierine Café. And holy cow am I glad we did! It was fabulous. It wasn’t just your average run-of-the-mill diner food, but wow, nom-noms, yummy-real-restaurant food, like this:

IMG_4010.jpg

I hadn’t had Eggs Benedict in forever, but am a bona fide lover about once a year or so. Well, you know… of Eggs Benedict. Otherwise that just sounds…. awkward. And I’m here to tell you, it’s the Hollandaise that either makes for breaks this dish. This particular sauce was spot on, just perfectly lemony, a hint of spicy, and creamy and velvety. The eggs were poached to divine doneness too. Yes, I ate about half. Yes, I threw the other half away, but only because I’d saved them in the hotel room fridge long enough to prevent "food waste guilt" from becoming too overwhelming. I wished I’d had someone there to have split it with me. It’s an ongoing vacation affliction that plagues me when I travel solo. I usually solve the problem with the self-instituted Wasteful Food Practices Act, by relegating myself to the Appetizer section of any given menu…. unless I’m in the mood for Eggs Benedict. There is a handy exception to the WFPA when necessary. Like when Eggs Benedict is on the menu.

Now, where was I? Oh yes, breakfast with cousins. Conversation was delightful and we reminisced as family tends to do when they have gone years between seeing one another. Christmases past, Great Aunt Louise, Grandma’s peach tree and roses, and Disney were all topics of discussion. It was great as always to hear about how she and my mom and aunt would run all over Disneyland in the 60s like they owned the place and we recalled attractions of the past like the Skyway and the Adventure to Inner Space (my personal favorite!). We laughed and caught up, then ended with promises to visit again when I’m through the area next.

Stuffed, it was time to venture out on my own and see what I could find amusing to do. Trust me, it doesn’t take much. I’m pretty happy with nothing to do in fact. So that’s what I did. Well, not ALL the time, but long enough that one might actually question my sanity. Or call it “wasting a colossal amount of Disney time”. I called it pure bliss. But, let’s do this in order, shall we?

After we said our goodbyes from breakfast, I waddled back off to my room and made a phone call. This one was not made in sheer terror like the one made the day before, but rather in minor irritation with myself. Brace yourselves, because you’re about to be observers of the Greatest Camera Debacle of Human History.

The night before, just as I watched Alison pull away after dropping me off, I realized that, for the FREAKING 3RD TIME, I had left my camera behind. Yep, my obviously very unimportant $1,500 piece of equipment that I may as well just throw in the trash <hugest, most gigantic eye roll ever inserted here> was driving away in the Fran and AJ Mobile.

Shoot.

Me.

Now.

I think Alison texted when they got home? Maybe? Details suck at this point, but regardless, she did know it was there by the time I called her the next morning. Not only did she tell me she was planning to bring it, but we confirmed our Meetup for Trader Sam’s set for a bit later. Yay! Meantime, I had my phone to take sucky photos with. Which I did. Wanna see what kind of stuff I did to kill time?

Good, because this is a Trip Report, and I’d worry about you a lot if you had said no. Then again, there is also the high possibility you could have said no because this TR actually is really pretty bad and not worth your time. I get that. But…

If you are still here because it seems more enjoyable than cleaning your bathroom (mine’s done; writing this chapter was actually my reward for cleaning the scum off the toilet bowl) then I shall now let you in on a little secret: DTD is a pretty cool place and I found plenty of fun stuffs to do! With nothing more than my very small park bag, and my phone, I trekked the distance to the Bag/Security Check at the one end of DTD (the still appropriately named Shopping Venue in Cali) and headed on in … straight for 1. The Bathroom, then 2. $ixbucks.

Essentials, People!

I wandered. Shhh… don’t tell anyone who reads my other thread… but I shopped. Alright, alright! I didn’t BUY anything. (How could I? I had just been to $ixbucks.) But I did enjoy looking. The one shop that I totally could spend a solid chunk of paycheck at was Vault 28. I don’t make that much though. Sad. I popped into this shop and that, and eventually wound up near the “end” at WoD, wherein I found a CM to clear something up. If you know me at all, I’m kinda…. curious. (I was once accused of being “nosey”. I’m so misunderstood.) While winding my way along, I kept running into these, starting way back at $ixbucks.

IMG_4015.jpg

IMG_4013.jpg

I thought they must be something akin to the Remy Hunt at F&W, and sure enough, the very next day the Official DLR Easter Egg would begin. I just happened to notice that the eggs had already been put up. The maps, however, wouldn’t be available until the next day. Meantime, I thought, as a way to have a little fun, I’d find as many as I could in DTD as I made my way back to Trader Sam’s to meet up with the others. By now, it was about time to head that way. So, I turned around and re-traced my steps- more informed and with a new purpose and plan to my next day. I was ecstatic! Along the way, I found several more of the dozen in the Hunt, and made note of them, so they’d be easy to find when I got my map and did it for reals:

IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_4018.jpg

IMG_4023.jpg

Ahhhh, YUS! Right where it belongs.

IMG_4011.jpg

Soon enough, I was found myself neatly in front of Traders Sam’s tucked on the grounds of the Disneyland Hotel.

IMG_4053.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

Surrounded by lush, tropical beauty, its siren call beckoned me in. But not quite yet. A quick call and several texts revealed that due to some sucky situation brewing at home, Fran and Alison couldn’t join me until 3:00 or so. Which actually was no problem at all. I decided to give Sam's a preliminary check out and was starving by then anyway. There was an empty bar stool right up next to the action in which I plopped my solo little self. <plop>

“Hello, Miss! What can we get started for you today?”

IMG_4032%20-%20Copy.jpg

(Side note: I’ve been carded not once, but twice in the last few months. Ummm…. At this point, I’m not sure whether to be flattered or disgusted by their blatant condescension. Are they mocking me? Do I need to gently suggest they see their ophthalmologist at their earliest convenience for a Macular Degeneration check? Stymied. I realize it was dark in there, but COME ON!)

“Hmmm….. well,” says I. “I’ve not been in here before and would like something strong, tropical, and comes in a cute little Tiki cup.”

This was handed to me 5 minutes later:

IMG_4037%20-%20Copy.jpg

Yes, it did taste good and yes, it was as fun as it looked.

Wanna see something neato? (Sure ya do!)

Before my Tiki came:

IMG_4029%20-%20Copy.jpg

After:

IMG_4033%20-%20Copy.jpg

And that Dear Readers, is where I will leave you for now. Imagine, if you will, (it’s easy if you try) a cool, fruity libation in which The Tikis come to life when ordered. Volcanoes erupt as easily as the laughter of the clientele; the steady rhythm of South Seas drumming throbs a pulse of happiness; and all the cares in your world melt away on a warm sandy beach filled with all of your new best friends.

Stay tuned for more Solo at Sam’s, followed by Sam’s-Induced DISMeet Ridiculousness.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!