ABCs of A Trip Worth Waiting For + PNWMM: P: A Practically Perfect Pacific NW Mouse Meet- pg. 26

O is for: Off to Other Disney-Centered Occasions

The pre-trip excitement reached its normal, insomnia-inducing levels, and I slept fitfully wondering what I’d forget this time. Trust me, it was plenty. But that was more due to the fact that I had absolutely NO idea what to expect for this event than to anything else. But that, my friends, is getting WAY ahead of myself. Let’s begin where all good stories do… on a freeway going somewhere. Which is never quite as good a story as one beginning on a plane to somewhere, but this, Dear Reader, was only a trip from Salem, Oregon to Lynnwood, Washington.

At the last minute, I ended up being scheduled to get off of work at 3:00, so instead of leaving in the evening, I was free to leave in the afternoon… much to my rush hour-loathing relief. If you have never experienced Portland or Seattle rush hour traffic you have no concept of “just give up and don’t bother” traffic. It is soul crushing and not to be attempted unless migraines are your thing. I was loaded up, my bags were anyways, and I took off straight from work at 2:30 because I got off early, and without any hulabaloo or hoopla arrived at Karilynn’s around 6:00. Err…. except the little inane scenic route Google Maps took me on through in one little spot. I mean, isn’t the most direct route always to get off the freeway, toodle through town and several signals, and then get back on, only to continue north again? :confused3

She gave me a tour of her museum-like home of which I’m pretty sure has more Disneyana than all of EBay, World of Disney, and the Emporium combined, and then we loaded her bags and we shot
off like Thelma and Louise.

For dinner. As noted before, Seattle rush hour traffic is soul crushing, and it’s best to just not. Eating is always more enjoyable than crawling at 5 mph for 2 hours, but then again, so is having a femur reset. Maybe.

Kinda a tossup.

We ended up at a little Chinese place near her home where I took exactly NO photos. I mean, I sure thought I did, but there’s nothing on my phone, so just close your eyes and imagine some respectable Americanized “Chinese” food sitting on a plate. It more than filled our tummies and we were ready around 7:30 to hit the road, hoping to make it to our hotel by 8:30. Which we did- The Embassy Suites Convention Center in Lynnwood, WA.

Check-in was super easy and we were in our room by 8:45 or so. Neither of us expected a suite-style room (ummm, yes, I’m aware it was Embassy SUITES) but, I think it took us both aback a bit. It worked out super well because I slept in a little extra in the mornings, and Kari had a place she could go and read or primp while I snoozed. Here are the obligatory photos of the pre-trashed room.

IMG_4656%202.jpg

IMG_4657%202.jpg

IMG_4658%202.jpg

IMG_4659%202.jpg

IMG_4660%202.jpg

Not bad digs, if I do say so myself…

It didn’t take us long to ditch the bags and set out to scope out the Door Decorating Contest Entries (see what I did there?) I didn’t take a count, but I think there were around 15 entries or so. All of them obviously had a ton of time put into them and the creativity was amazing! But a couple really stood out. She and I nailed it in predicting the Winning Doors.

One had a little matching game of what quotes came from which Disney movie, another paid homage to retiring Chef Oscar, and yet another had the entire Jungle Cruise mapped out with the corresponding jokes that went with each location. All very fun!

Other random photos:

IMG_4667%202.jpg

IMG_4668%202.jpg

This one, which took one of the top 2 places (sorry! I can't remember which one actually won!) was a mock Trick or Treat Trail from MNSSHP complete with candy, a Photopass Photographer, characters and the Boo to you Soundtrack

IMG_4661%202.jpg

My favorite, and I think the winner (?), but for sure in the top 2 was a Beauty and the Beast-themed display with hand cut silhouettes of Disney couples. An obvious incredible amount of work went into this one, and I was completely impressed:

IMG_4662%202.jpg

IMG_4664%202.jpg

This one's theme was Disney parks worldwide, but focused on the Asian parks where @Malia78 happens to be right now!

IMG_4666%202.jpg

We may give it a try next year. :scared: The competition is pretty stiff!

By the time, we’d done our little walk-about, we both decided it was time to hit the sack; it’d been a long day for both of us. While visions of Fairies and Pixies danced in our heads, we quickly fell asleep excited for what the day of the Big Meet would hold.

I know about that kind of traffic. It can rake us an hour to go 5 miles after work. We pretty much dont bother most nights. That is something i wont miss here.

Fun idea for a contest! There are some great ideas! Looking forward to seeing more of this Disney adventure.

I was free to leave in the afternoon… much to my rush hour-loathing relief. If you have never experienced Portland or Seattle rush hour traffic you have no concept of “just give up and don’t bother” traffic.

Worse than LA traffic????? :confused3

Err…. except the little inane scenic route Google Maps took me on through in one little spot. I mean, isn’t the most direct route always to get off the freeway, toodle through town and several signals, and then get back on, only to continue north again? :confused3

Perhaps it was routing you past a very congested portion of the freeway or an accident?

Neither of us expected a suite-style room (ummm, yes, I’m aware it was Embassy SUITES) but, I think it took us both aback a bit.

I love staying at Embassy Suites, between the split rooms, complimentary breakfast, and complimentary Happy Hour, they are awesome!

It worked out super well because I slept in a little extra in the mornings, and Kari had a place she could go and read or primp while I snoozed. Here are the obligatory photos of the pre-trashed room.

Yup, I can let Fran sleep and work on TRs in the living room area!

It didn’t take us long to ditch the bags and set out to scope out the Door Decorating Contest Entries

Not surprised they had a door decorating contest.

(see what I did there?)

Actually no, but then again I can be pretty dense.

While visions of Fairies and Pixies danced in our heads, we quickly fell asleep excited for what the day of the Big Meet would hold.

Curious to hear about this....do they only let folks from the PNW come?

Chiming in from Hong Kong... great start Leisa!
I think you captured it perfectly.

If I remember right, I think the Halloween Party won and Beauty and the Beast came second.

Working on my inside source to give us an edge next year

sigh.... I was talking about the last dinner at Naples. Not the PNWMM. Sorry, that wasn't clear. :)

No worries. I was just confused.

So... normal, for me.

Are you sure?

Actually... no!

Phew! I thought you were going to take all the fun out of waiting in lines.

Nope! :)

While not fun, I don't hate them. I do get a little pay differential and that mostly makes up for it.

The years of my life that I will lose as a result probably don't make up for the differential that I've earned.

I have a confession... not a big ice cream fan.

You too?
You have that in common with Ruby, then.

Hey, I wasn't the one tipping. LOL!

Nor was she!

Well, then we'll all have to wait until you get to that chapter.

::yes::

I'm not sure I'd go so far as dump... LOL!

:rolleyes:

Correct! My mistake. And no, not told... just informed that she was there. :) Sorry, poor choice of words. Relax, just was trying to get across the point that it worked out and I met her there. :) Ya done good.

Okay. Phew! I thought :eek: I demanded that she meet her?!?!?!?!?! :faint:

She at times was quiet. And I think it took a little bit for her to warm up. :)

That's pretty much her, all right.

I recall you telling me she was having a hard time with her feet a few times. I think she was moving slower than usually due to sore tootsies.

Ah. Yes, there were issues... but I didn't think there were that night.
Could be wrong.
I frequently am.

So, we agree that while it was good, it was no fantastic enough to be memorable! LOL!

I guess! :laughing:

So, a typical teen.

::yes::

A very good kind of insurance policy!

And it worked too. Look! I have kids!

Yeah, I think so. I just remember them falling during our whole meal. Every time one would fall it'd scare me.

I remember that! You'd jump!

I guess it'd have to be pretty bad to be less than that for me too.

I almost never tip less than 20%.
I did the other night though.
I think that makes it... 3 times in my life?

ANd that is very certainly possible! Clearly by that time, the memory was failing as badly as my last souffle.

oops!

And yet, I'm still grateful.

You're welcome.

April.... I'll get even.

Nope! You won't. Unless you go twice while you're there.
Or I don't go at all (a possibility).

Shoot! Maybe April will be less so. (But not likely. )

Don't know.
Like I said, I might not go at all. Don't know.

The pre-trip excitement reached its normal, insomnia-inducing levels, and I slept fitfully

Ah yes. I do recall you mentioning that.

wondering what I’d forget this time. Trust me, it was plenty.

Uh, oh...

At the last minute, I ended up being scheduled to get off of work at 3:00,

Nice!

I took off straight from work at 2:30 because I got off early,

Even nicer!

I mean, isn’t the most direct route always to get off the freeway, toodle through town and several signals, and then get back on, only to continue north again? :confused3

Oh, for sure. Yep.
Or through a field.

Happened to us yesterday.

She gave me a tour of her museum-like home of which I’m pretty sure has more Disneyana than all of EBay, World of Disney, and the Emporium combined,

Whoa.

Eating is always more enjoyable than crawling at 5 mph for 2 hours, but then again, so is having a femur reset. Maybe.

Kinda a tossup.

:rotfl:

Okay, That's funny.

Neither of us expected a suite-style room (ummm, yes, I’m aware it was Embassy SUITES)

facepalm_zpsb4hvgtwd.gif

It worked out super well because I slept in a little extra in the mornings, and Kari had a place she could go and read or primp while I snoozed.

So she's a primper, huh?

Here are the obligatory photos of the pre-trashed room.

Must be done.
It's a rule.

It didn’t take us long to ditch the bags and set out to scope out the Door Decorating Contest Entries (see what I did there?)

Um... nope?

yet another had the entire Jungle Cruise mapped out with the corresponding jokes that went with each location

Cool! I like that!

Anything HM has my vote.

This one, which took one of the top 2 places (sorry! I can't remember which one actually won!) was a mock Trick or Treat Trail from MNSSHP complete with candy, a Photopass Photographer, characters and the Boo to you Soundtrack

Holy crap! Impressed!

My favorite, and I think the winner (?), but for sure in the top 2 was a Beauty and the Beast-themed display with hand cut silhouettes of Disney couples. An obvious incredible amount of work went into this one, and I was completely impressed:

While I can certainly appreciate the effort, I prefer the previous one.

We may give it a try next year. :scared: The competition is pretty stiff!

You should! It would be fun! Maybe I'll go too (depending on the rest of this update....)

While visions of Fairies and Pixies danced in our heads, we quickly fell asleep excited for what the day of the Big Meet would hold.

Looking forward to it! :)

How fun! And fabulous that you got out earlier than expected!!

IMG_4662%202.jpg

Wow! This is beautiful!!

If you have never experienced Portland or Seattle rush hour traffic you have no concept of “just give up and don’t bother” traffic.

Well, I do have the D.C. Beltway and NJ Turnpike.:scared:

I mean, isn’t the most direct route always to get off the freeway, toodle through town and several signals, and then get back on, only to continue north again? :confused3

Well, sure. Doesn't everybody do that?

it was Embassy SUITES

Sweet!

Er, uh...I do like Embassy Suites.

One had a little matching game of what quotes came from which Disney movie, another paid homage to retiring Chef Oscar, and yet another had the entire Jungle Cruise mapped out with the corresponding jokes that went with each location. All very fun!

Wow, that's really impressive!

Gorgeous door. I can see why you were taken with it.

I know about that kind of traffic. It can rake us an hour to go 5 miles after work. We pretty much dont bother most nights. That is something i wont miss here.

I'm so tickled you're moving back! It'll be good to be in a place you can slow down and focus on the house and this part of your family. :) And, ditch the traffic. ;) Just stay out of Portland.

Fun idea for a contest! There are some great ideas! Looking forward to seeing more of this Disney adventure.

Kari and I are going to have to work hard at this to have a shot.

Coming up in a TR near you!

Worse than LA traffic????? :confused3

Hmm, Seattle I think does easily rival LA; Portland, while bad, doesn't last hours like Seattle does.

Perhaps it was routing you past a very congested portion of the freeway or an accident?

I checked the Trip Check sites and nothing was red, but it was only a 10 minute delay, so wasn't too terribly worried.

I love staying at Embassy Suites, between the split rooms, complimentary breakfast, and complimentary Happy Hour, they are awesome!

And we missed happy hour by about 30 minutes. I was bummed!

Yup, I can let Fran sleep and work on TRs in the living room area!

A noble use of the area!

Not surprised they had a door decorating contest.

I really enjoyed seeing the entries, and whether you win or not, it's a fun way to participate!

Actually no, but then again I can be pretty dense.

Just a silly place on words- Entries= doors and contest "entries" ;)

Curious to hear about this....do they only let folks from the PNW come?

NO!!! And, in fact.... about that....

I really, REALLY think you and Fran would HIGHLY enjoy this. There are loads of booths with Disneyana for sale and I can easily see Fran hosting one with stuff for sale. Or at the very least buying stuff for re-sale. The speakers, as you'll see, are seriously high caliber and I think you two should seriously consider coming next year. I think the furthest people came from was Minnesota, but also I think there was a couple from the UK.

Chiming in from Hong Kong... great start Leisa!
I think you captured it perfectly.

If I remember right, I think the Halloween Party won and Beauty and the Beast came second.

Working on my inside source to give us an edge next year

Thanks! I'm so glad you could chime in and say howdy!

I think you're right. I liked B&tB better, but will concede that the MNSSHP was very well done!

Ohhh, niiiiice!!!

Great start for your first PNWMM. I love the door contest. Can't wait to hear more.

THanks! More coming up this week!

No worries. I was just confused.

So... normal, for me.

Then we're a lot alike.

The years of my life that I will lose as a result probably don't make up for the differential that I've earned.

But they'll pay for medical care resulting from them.

You too?
You have that in common with Ruby, then.

Now... if it'd been creme brulee! ;)

Okay. Phew! I thought :eek: I demanded that she meet her?!?!?!?!?! :faint:

Calm down. Just the way I worded it. I was happy to find her and we found things to chat about. :)

And it worked too. Look! I have kids!

:rolleyes1

I remember that! You'd jump!

I need to look at what kind of tree it was. Unless Alison can find out for me first.

I almost never tip less than 20%.
I did the other night though.
I think that makes it... 3 times in my life?

Uh oh!! Not very good service, huh? :(

Nope! You won't. Unless you go twice while you're there.
Or I don't go at all (a possibility).

Hmm, I'll go at least once, Still working on a plan, but not til after my trip. Too much on my plate right now.

Don't know.
Like I said, I might not go at all. Don't know.

Sounds like you've got other things more fun going on. :)

Oh, for sure. Yep.
Or through a field.

Happened to us yesterday.

A field?! Okay, that's just weird!

So she's a primper, huh?

Well everyone has to to some degree, no? Some of us do more than others.

Um... nope?

I have no idea what this was in reference to, so we'll go with....

nope.

Anything HM has my vote.

I know!!!! Happens to be in my favorite top 3 depending on the day/mood.

You should! It would be fun! Maybe I'll go too (depending on the rest of this update....)

I think you'll be more than amply impressed by the time I'm done. Trying to talk Fran and Alison on popping up for it too!

Looking forward to it! :)

More coming soon-ish.

How fun! And fabulous that you got out earlier than expected!!

I love Meets like this, and this one was something new to me. It was a lot of fun!

Wow! This is beautiful!!

It really was! Very well-thought out and nicely executed!

Those were certainly some very creative, and impressive displays! You can do it though, I've got confidence in you!!!!

I think the think tank needs to get moving now, if we're to have a shot at it.

Well, I do have the D.C. Beltway and NJ Turnpike.:scared:

Very true. Yikes!

Well, sure. Doesn't everybody do that?

Only when they're dumb enough to be duped by a GPS.

Sweet!

Er, uh...I do like Embassy Suites.

I see what you did there! :thumbsup2

And as a free breakfast guru, I think you'd have been impressed. That's in the next update.

Wow, that's really impressive!

A lot of time and effort went into those!!

Gorgeous door. I can see why you were taken with it.

It took my prize as prettiest!

I really, REALLY think you and Fran would HIGHLY enjoy this. There are loads of booths with Disneyana for sale and I can easily see Fran hosting one with stuff for sale. Or at the very least buying stuff for re-sale. The speakers, as you'll see, are seriously high caliber and I think you two should seriously consider coming next year. I think the furthest people came from was Minnesota, but also I think there was a couple from the UK.

If we were to do anything sale/purchase related we would have to drive, which is not impossible....it does sound intriguing.

need to look at what kind of tree it was. Unless Alison can find out for me first.

We may go out there tomorrow, we need to get some pins.

I think you'll be more than amply impressed by the time I'm done. Trying to talk Fran and Alison on popping up for it to

If it's the same time of year each year, next year won't work. We have a cruise that starts on August 25 so that would be too close, but I will keep it in mind.

If we were to do anything sale/purchase related we would have to drive, which is not impossible....it does sound intriguing.

That is true... hmmm...

We may go out there tomorrow, we need to get some pins

If you remember... otherwise we can take a peek in April.

If it's the same time of year each year, next year won't work. We have a cruise that starts on August 25 so that would be too close, but I will keep it in mind

I heard a rumor they're moving it back to June or July next year. Just a rumor though...

But they'll pay for medical care resulting from them.

I hear the medical care isn't that good once you're dead.

Uh oh!! Not very good service, huh? :(

No.

Sounds like you've got other things more fun going on. :)

Well, probably only for me.

A field?! Okay, that's just weird!

Had to pull over at a stop sign, turn off the car and start it again.

Well everyone has to to some degree, no? Some of us do more than others.

Some do less.

I think you'll be more than amply impressed by the time I'm done. Trying to talk Fran and Alison on popping up for it too!

I saw that. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts