ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

Yeah, if only! We take full advantage of Boma when we go because we have such a sweet spot for it, but seems like your beautiful concierge upgrade would have been more than enough for your family this day!

I do like it too, but not being a huge breakfast eater, it's hard for me to justify it. And yes, the Concierge service served many of the very same things as Boma. They had cook to order omelets, fruit, pastries, pap, bobotie, etc...

And real lattes... ;)

Oh no! It happens. :( To this day, Nathan still gets confused about when and where he is allowed to have liquids when travelling.

Yes, it does happen. Done it myself, but twice in one trip?
:rotfl2:bahahah

Very exotic and classy!

You know it, Baby! Flame broiled!

Oh my goodness, beauty!

Just wait!

Wow!! Looks rough! :rotfl:

I know. It was tough lounging on a chair for hours.

Hmmm, I know where you can get some for a mere car payment.

Oh?
I'm curious to know what fudge you think is worth a car payment!

I think that thing's been under construction for about 15 years.

Getting a wee bit antsy are we?
I have it on good authority that it will be open...

eventually.

Unless it isn't.

Agreed. Common decency and kindness are just... gone.

Well.... not completely... but it's gotten too darned rare!

Sigh.... yes, I do. But, I did look carefully, and wasn't very close at all. (Is embellishing still allowed here?)

Oh sure!
And knew that as soon as you wrote about your back.
But... up until I read that line, I was :scared:

Well, then you're off the hook for a while! :banana:

woot!

I think you just did both.

They lived.

See ya suckas!

You know it! Gonna do the same in about a month.

:sad2: Money well spent...

Generally they are good and adventurous eaters, but breakfast just doesn't ever really do it for us.

Well... that did save you $30.

Except I spent it on other stuff.

Were wings extra?

These guys have it going on! Maybe they'll be ready to hire a pilot someday like me.

Whoops.

I don't think I have. But know people who have.

Ask me about the time I left a small Leatherman in my bag....

As a matter of fact, I do.

I remember being surprised. I'm usually far too early at the airport. Not late.

Me too. Anxiety levels hit the roof if I"m over an hour before my flight time. I like to be an hour and 15.

Nope. I knew there was no way.
If you had, there's just no way you could've stopped yourself from gushing about it all this time.

You know me well.

So.... you slept, then?

No way! New territory shouldn't be missed!

That didn't get used at all, did it.

The TV or the coffee maker? either way....

no.

Yeah.... used to be.

Sigh..... sadness.

The UnMagical Depress couldn’t whisk them away fast enough. My wallet breathed a sigh of relief as we watched their shoulders heave rhythmically with sobs of despair as they made their way back to grey and rainy Oregon, and worse to school, while we looked forward to 4 more days of vacation with smug looks on our faces.

This is so awesome...send them back not only home but back to school lol. Must have been great.

After a quick ride back to MCO, we got ourselves checked into our no-namer airline:

Who knew you could fly from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale? I'm curious though, how come if you were going to fly you didn't just fly all the way to Miami and save a couple hours? Was it cheaper or did you want to enjoy the ride on A1A? Both make sense but I was just wondering...

They lived.

By the skin of their teeth?

You know it! Gonna do the same in about a month.

Woot! Me too!

Except I spent it on other stuff.

:rolleyes:

These guys have it going on! Maybe they'll be ready to hire a pilot someday like me.

You wouldn't mind flying to the keys on a regular basis, huh?

Ask me about the time I left a small Leatherman in my bag....

All right. I will!

Me too. Anxiety levels hit the roof if I"m over an hour before my flight time. I like to be an hour and 15.

pffft. Amateur.
I go for 90 minutes.... minimum.

No way! New territory shouldn't be missed!

Well, there is that, too.

The TV or the coffee maker? either way....

no.

I meant the TV, but... either works.

Sigh..... sadness.

Yeah.... Total shame. Maybe it was taking a bit longer... but they removed magic.
That's not good.

Caught up again...boo to leaving Disney but yay for the Keys! I cant' wait to hear about this portion of your trip...I'm headed to Key West next week for the first time (that I can remember...first trip was at 3) and am really excited!

The resort looks beautiful!

Jill in CO

Oh?
I'm curious to know what fudge you think is worth a car payment!

None, however that's what Disney charges and that's what my kids paid. Well, nearly so anyway.

Getting a wee bit antsy are we?
I have it on good authority that it will be open...

eventually.

Unless it isn't.

Sigh.... Now it looks like next year....

Well.... not completely... but it's gotten too darned rare!

Yes. Yes it is.

Oh sure!
And knew that as soon as you wrote about your back.
But... up until I read that line, I was :scared:

Good, I built suspense. ;)

Nice send off. I can totally relate to the relief in your wallet.

While Disney may be a great vacation, it's also a great burden on the checking account.

Yes I am. I've never been.

Then follow me!!

I would have been pissed.

I was. ;)

Not really. Didn't you have a picture with the crown from here?

I think... somewhere on FB. Maybe??

Nice digs. I'm looking forward to more.

It was a very boutiqu-y type of resort. Nothing super duper fancy, but not a dump either.

Must be this one

Huzzah, the Doc's in the house!

You had me at fart jokes.

Clearly, my audience is easy to please!

This is the first I've heard anything about this. Very interesting...

I know!! I wonder if it'll be themed and have parlor tricks like Trader Sam's and the old Adventurer's Club?

Yes. Reasoning skills. I'm sure that's what it was.

Uh huh.

Whoa, I can get petrified camel turds? Sign me up!:thumbsup2

See comment above about being easy to please.

Normally that bus ride is unbearable. You might have finally found the loophole!

Just keep vacationing... forever.

:sad2: Of course they did.

Protip- Avoid Disney buffets unless you enjoy wasting $$.

Well, it beats Tac--oh, never mind.

Guess what I had last night on the way home at 9:00?

In other words, welcome to the Keys!

To paraphrase.... yes.

I'll still be here reading about the Keys.

Glad to have you aboard here, Carrie. :)

So jealous you get to go back to WDW in a month. I still have almost a year until I go! And I haven't been there in five years already!!! I know you feel my pain.

While you're waiting do lots and lots of planning and reading TRs! I always made dozens of fake trip itineraries just for fun, made my window decorations, my guest book, designed our T-shirts, etc... lots of trip related stuff you can do to help pass the time. :) Or hey, start a PTR. :)

:tiptoe:

Are you and @pkondz planning a meet?? Just noticed both your tickers!

Not sure you saw my reply since it wasn't quoted, but I did just below your post on pg. 121.

I'm looking forward to reading about the Florida Keys, it's a place I have never been.

And I look forward to you being here! I know you're really busy (as are we all) so any commenting you do is fabulous! :)

Huzzah, the Doc's in the house!

I am, but now I've got 121 pages to catch up on. <sigh>
Actually, I think I've gotten to page 15 or 16 so far. trying not to look at all the responses to catch up, but it's difficult to not look and see the banter.

BTW: That guy you're helping on the first page looks like he should've asked for a different nurse. If that's what your patients look like, :eek:

Well lookie there.... Go figure. :rotfl: I am all caught up but still hopelessly behind everywhere else. I am reading along but either on my phone or late at night and have totally failed at any possible comments. :sad2:

I am usually in those circumstances around here too. Caught up somewhere, and hopelessly behind everywhere else. And I totally get phone reading. Can't comment at all, so I get that!!

I knew some of the last batch of pictures but.... see above for the failure at commenting. I will say - would have gotten Z wrong.
My dorkness aside, I didn't know that was in MK ... :teacher:

See, you learn something new everyday! :D

Come back often for more useless and random knowledge.

Looking forward to the keys part but already see that Mike is is making friends coming and going by missing the flight and then not putting the liquids in the checked luggage.... Ah the fun of travelling. :rolleyes1

He just misses too many important memos in the travel dept.

This is so awesome...send them back not only home but back to school lol. Must have been great.

HAHAHAHA!! When they go home, they go big. LOL!

Who knew you could fly from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale? I'm curious though, how come if you were going to fly you didn't just fly all the way to Miami and save a couple hours? Was it cheaper or did you want to enjoy the ride on A1A? Both make sense but I was just wondering...

So, here's the deal.

1) I was (pretty much still am) totally clueless on FL geography. I can take a DME from MCO to WDW and that's about the total extent of my knowledge. So, yeah, didn't know how far it was from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. Yes, I googled, and it said only an hour's difference, which it was, so went with that.

because...

2) Yes, they were cheaper. Worth the extra hour in the car.

Caught up again...boo to leaving Disney but yay for the Keys! I cant' wait to hear about this portion of your trip...I'm headed to Key West next week for the first time (that I can remember...first trip was at 3) and am really excited!

The resort looks beautiful!

Got a few days off in the next couple of weeks, so hope to write some more. :) Not sure how much I can do in a week, but sure will try!

It was a very middle of the road resort. Not too pricey or fancy, but certainly not a crappy one either.

I am, but now I've got 121 pages to catch up on. <sigh>
Actually, I think I've gotten to page 15 or 16 so far. trying not to look at all the responses to catch up, but it's difficult to not look and see the banter.

BTW: That guy you're helping on the first page looks like he should've asked for a different nurse. If that's what your patients look like, :eek:

Then you certainly have your work cut out for you.

Yes, if you want to cut out the chatter, by all means use the chapter links. I *think* they all work?

Poor Manny (short for Manny Quinn); he's seen better days. At least I think he was a he that day. ;)

Last edited:
I took them to Boma on this last morning to ease the pang of guilt, but far more importantly to get myself some Pap, Turkey Bobotie, and Chakalaka. #AKLPriorities For $30 a head, my kids got plates that looked just like this.

Well at least you got the food you wanted.

Yep, time to send them on their way. You can eat Cheerios at home and be happy for $.30 a bowl.

Your Cheerios must be cheaper than mine. Mine run $3.99 per box and I really doubt I'd get 10 bowls out of a box. :rolleyes1

I wouldn’t have even made that reservation if we’d known we were gonna get upgraded and in hindsight should have cancelled it and saved myself about $100. Live and learn.

That's all you can do...

After a quick ride back to MCO, we got ourselves checked into our no-namer airline:

I had not heard of this airline until our last cruise. We stayed off site the night we arrived in Orlando. We took the shuttle to and from the hotel, when we went back to the airport the other couple on our shuttle bus took silver. Interesting that they only fly in FL and the Bahamas.

This time, Mike mixed up in his head which bag was which and ended up putting all of his liquids in his carryon. Know what the TSA does with used deodorant and toothpaste? They throw it away and then go buy stock in Johnson and Johnson.

:lmao:

He then stopped in a bookstore and spent every last minute he could in there, while I went to wait at the gate. Not knowing where he was or what happened to him. Texts are just far too convenient. Yes, I was irritated.

I would be FREAKING out. We need to be sitting at the gate at least half an hour before the plane leaves, maybe more.

Probably could have done that, had I cancelled Boma.

:lmao:

What? Burger King isn’t exotic?

Pictures or it didn't happen.

We stopped about halfway down in Islamorada where we’d make base camp for the duration of our stay.

Do you know if it's still there now?

The view from our balcony:

Looks very nice.

And last, but not least, the room photos, in case you are headed to the Keys and are scoping out some decent digs:

Again I ask, is it still there?

For $30 a head, my kids got plates that looked just like this.

17A7F0C1-CC12-4903-AC2F-513B7D13C5A2.jpg
I see way too much plate in that picture. There's a right way and a wrong way to do a buffet. This is clearly the wrong way.

This time, Mike mixed up in his head which bag was which and ended up putting all of his liquids in his carryon. Know what the TSA does with used deodorant and toothpaste? They throw it away and then go buy stock in Johnson and Johnson.
Oh no... easy to do, but so frustrating.

It could have just as easily been National or Enterprise or Avis. Pick one. Any one. They all eat cameras, so it really doesn’t matter.
I agree. The rental company name doesn't matter. The common denominator in this situation would be you.

Towel creations that Disney USED to be good at:
:rotfl2: So true...

The place looks incredible. Not a bad place to stay for a few days in the Keys!

I've made it to page 42. Still a lot to catch up on. Been trying not to comment, but 2 must be done...

1) I really loved all the pictures of the light fixture. Just wish you hadn't had all that other stuff going on behind it. :lmao:
Seriously, good pictures despite what you think.
2) Did you honestly just say good and hip hop in the same sentence??? Your credibility score just dropped.

Okay, 3
Scariest part is always there...the horror I avoid every time even if it's not the "not so scary party". So, this trip is likely your most costly...the therapy sessions get very expensive. If your kids grow up to be serial killers from being exposed to IASW at such a fragile age, it's all on you!

Last edited:
And..... the nickel drops. Sheesh!
a bo
Clear as mud now?

Fantastic trip wrap up! My favorite photo is the castle with the fireworks - wish I could just step right into that picture. And now I'm hungry from reading about food again. Those photos were tricky for unobservant folk like myself, and Mr. Google failed my attempts at hints!
DD20 and I are off on a mini trip this weekend so that she can meet up with a friend and go to a concert that she's wanted to see for 10 years (Gavin DeGraw) and I have a date with the local Art Gallery and the jetted tub in the hotel suite with my Lush bath bomb, a bottle of wine, and my Kindle.
Also put in an application to adopt a rescue dog, we'll see if we make the application cut and if the rescue dog would get along decently with us, and our current dog and cat.
Looking forward to your Keys Adventure - and all your adventures, of course!

I'm glad you enjoyed the Report, Donna! :) It was a pleasure writing it up. :)

Sounds like a perfectly delightful little get away! Bath bombs and bottle of wine! Yes, please!

OH wow! Do let us all know about a potential new pooch! We love new family members around here. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter