AAA membership worth it?

kardut

Earning My Ears
Debating whether to get AAA membership before our drive down on Saturday. Does AAA only offer WDW discounts if you book vacation through their travel company, or are discounts available to all members? What kinds of non-hotel discounts are available? Also, what does TripTix provide that a regular map doesn't (our drive is a pretty straightforward, though long, shot down I95)? We don't really need the emergency towing and stuff since our auto insurance covers that, but just looking for advice to see if it's worth it. Thanks in advance...
--karen

I booked a vacation with them and it was not a pleasant experience at all. They put me in the "Nicky Bird" HJ (I think) hotel (more like a motel, if you ask me) and showed me another building in brochures instead, never told me the offsite transportation was so pathetic, they did not get my seats assigned in the plane and I had to spend more time trying to figure out who could swap seats so I could be next to my children (they ended up sitting us in the tail!), they did not book direct flights (try stopovers with a 3 and a 5 yr old), they gave me vouchers for everything and I still had to stand in all the lines to swap for the real tickets (as if I was purchasing them for the first time anyway) and in the end, I decided to just go it alone next time. . You don't save anything in those packages either! But I was infuriated when I learned that for the price of putting me in that dilapidated motel I could have stayed onsite, enjoying a better atmosphere and transportation. They never itemized the alternatives for me.

So if you don't need the emergency service or the convenience of renewing your license in their office rather than DMV, travelers cheques, etc.., then you probably do not need AAA.

Wanda

I have booked vacations through AAA in the past and have had excellent results (Cancun, Bahamas and local). They are more expensive than if you do it yourself, which I now do. They do offer discount on tickets (small, call to find out) we've gotten them there before we had the Disney Club membership. The triptic will tell you if there is any ongoing construction to avoid and are much easier to read then a regular map. They will give you free maps and tour books as well. I had to get my car towed last year and that easily paid for our membership. Ford Roadside Assistance was not able to help...so luckily we had AAA. We have also gotten discount tickets for an area amusement park and saved $ there. There's also 10% off at Hard Rock Cafe if you plan to go there, the one in Orlando is great.

It is good for the road service, I have used them to jump start or tow my car in the past. As long as you stay below 3 miles or so, you do not pay the tow truck. But it is not free if it goes over that.
I even use AAA to renew my driver's license at their office rather than stand in the lines at DMV, get free maps, tourbooks and buy my traveler cheques for free.

But there's no way on earth I'd ever use their travel agency services again.

Wanda

I love AAA, but I've never had them book any reservations for me. I love the Tourbooks and maps. We end up using their towing service about once a year. The WDW hotel discounts are about the same as with the Disney Club. You call WDW, not AAA, to make your resort reservations. You can also save about 5% on WDW tickets at your local AAA office, but they sell only a few types of park hoppers. If you don't already have Disney Club and/or an emergency auto service - AAA is especially valuable.

Actually the towing is free is you have the plus plan. We did not the first time and my car needed to be towed back to the dealer (35+miles) and I payed the difference and upgraded right then and got the towing free (this was done at AAA's suggestion, since then we have kept the plus plan which is a little more expensve).

Shows my age, doesn't it?:rolleyes: Most of what was said above is true as far as Cost verse other discounts from codes etc. I have kept AAA because of the free maps, trip ticks, tour books and roadside assistance. Their travel agency is only as good as their agents. Fortunately, the one I use in Fort Wayne is excellent. Two nice perks of booking Disneyworld thru AAA is preferred parking at the parks and one use of the AAA lounge in future world behind the Carosell of Progress (AC and resembles a comfortable family room). IMO, I think AAA is a little cheap to only let you use it once. In spite of these perks, I would not Join AAA just for that. The best perk from AAA is the use of a travel Agent and services any where in the country. Due to bad weather on the coast one summer, we made a decision to leave and find a better spot. The nearest AAA found a great resort on quick notice and made reservations. Got us mapped out directions. We went from hurricane-like conditions to sun and fun in 24 hours.

I belong to AAA, but would not book WDW vacation through them. I always check with them to see what rates they can get me, but have always been able to find cheaper rates through other sources. For our upcoming trip I am using Dreams Unlimited & they have been wonderful. I booked my vacation in December (for 6/02 vacation) and they have contacted me twice with new lower rates (a savings so far of $1600 for a family of 5). You may want to check out their web site at www.dreamsunlimited.com

Happy planning!

you get ht preferred parking even if you only order park hoppers from them and they're about 5% off too.
I think its worth it just for the towing. everything else is bonus.

You bet it's worth it!! AAA saved me $300 on our CBR reservations in June and will save me another $600 in auto insurance premiums this year by purchasing through AAA auto. I called for an auto quote and was pleasantly surprised at the discount they're giving me. We'll also take advantage of no fee traveler's checks through AAA for our trip in June.

There are no guarantees that a room will be available, but if you are driving and you're willing to take a chance, The Walt Disney World Info Reservation Center in Ocala sometimes discounts the higher-end Disney resorts by up to 50% at the last minute. Reportedly there are no discounts on the Value resorts. Rooms are sold strictly on a walk-in basis (not by phone). The center also sells Disney passes at full price. It's located at 3601 SW 38th Ave (exit 68, off I-75) in Ocala and is open 9-6 daily -- call (352) 854-0770 to confirm hours.

AAA members can get very good (about 10-20% off) discounts at the Disney resort hotels, depending on the season. Room-only reservations with an AAA discount can be booked directly through CRO -- just call and ask if there is an AAA discount for your dates and resort.

www.MouseSavers.com

Do you have DC?? :earsgirl: There is a Discount deal for AAA!!! and AAA gives you discounts off of rooms,and tickets and thats with out a package.

Are you going to Universal or IOA at all? AAA gets you 10% off on all food and merchandise purchased within these parks. Between the money we saved on our Disney, Universal and Sea world tickets as well as all of the discounts at these parks, we saved over $500 on a $40 investment. Not to mention the peace of mind we had driving from NY to Florida knowing that we had AAA if we needed it.

We use our CAA for triptiks, maps, discounts at restaurants and other local businesses in town, tows (if we ever needed them) and free traveler's checks. Their travel quotes are always higher than our regular travel agency and so we would never use them for travel services either. We just had them quote a Disney Cruise and all she did was call Disney directly and qouted me the same price I received when I called at home! I've never understood what the deal is with them and Disney since everytime I call CAA, they offer me the same prices that I have been quoted at Disney. Plus, last year, our card wasn't accepted at many of the places that it should have been accepted at. Sea World said that they didn't honour AAA/CAA very much anymore, and as far as Disney goes, I still haven't been able to figure out what the benefit is for a CAA/AAA card in relation to Disney discounts. At Universal though, they readily accept CAA/AAA for use at restaurants and shops as previously mentioned. For us Canadians they do offer Sea World and Univeral tickets at par, but so do all of the other big travel agencies as well. We just knocked our CAA plan down to basic from premium service as that is just fine for us.

Tiger:jester:

I have had AAA for years and never knew I could renew my Driver license with them! When you go to universal, do you show your card at the resturants and gift shops? We are going in July.

Julieee960 - -
Yes..Just show your AAA card to your waiter/waitress or to any cashier and he/she will give you 10% off on everything you buy.

It was a great extra perk when we were at US/IOA last fall!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter