AAA Discounts disappearing everywhere

I love AAA, and don't ever ask for the discounts (except at hotels). They truly are my "keep my car insurance rates super low" service...I have a clean record on insurance and save $250/year for it...and AAA costs me way less than that. I do have towing and car side assistance on my regular insurance (it's just standard), but I wouldn't dream of using it.

Without AAA, I'd have had calls to my insurance 4 times in the last 6 years for roadside assistance...and I can't imagine what my insurance rate would look like from that. And when it's under 32 degrees, and your car dies 25 minutes from home at a homeless shelter on a Wednesday night with your kids in it (who had just volunteered at a Valentine's Party at said shelter) and they come out and replace the battery in under an hour right there for a very reasonable price - the service becomes priceless.

Using the Roadside assistance provided by your insurance company doesn't affect your insurance rate. I have used the Roadside assistance provided by State Farm several times and it doesn't affect my rates. Your car breaking down has nothing to do with you being a good driver or not.

Oh I believe you can be double covered. The OP however said the AAA rep was lying and the reason they said they were lying was because the daughter already had an account. Just because someone has an account already doesn't mean a payment can't be misapplied to it (or something else occur).

:confused:

I was literally just sharing my personal experience, not taking sides in any debate. Have a nice day.

Using the Roadside assistance provided by your insurance company doesn't affect your insurance rate. I have used the Roadside assistance provided by State Farm several times and it doesn't affect my rates. Your car breaking down has nothing to do with you being a good driver or not.
Agreed. The only thing that may happen is using it too frequently could mean they remove the coverage from the policy. Some people use roadside assistance to fill up gasoline and not in the "oh no I'm empty" way just to use an example.

I love AAA, and don't ever ask for the discounts (except at hotels). They truly are my "keep my car insurance rates super low" service...I have a clean record on insurance and save $250/year for it...and AAA costs me way less than that. I do have towing and car side assistance on my regular insurance (it's just standard), but I wouldn't dream of using it.

Without AAA, I'd have had calls to my insurance 4 times in the last 6 years for roadside assistance...and I can't imagine what my insurance rate would look like from that. And when it's under 32 degrees, and your car dies 25 minutes from home at a homeless shelter on a Wednesday night with your kids in it (who had just volunteered at a Valentine's Party at said shelter) and they come out and replace the battery in under an hour right there for a very reasonable price - the service becomes priceless.
There is no connection between your insurance coverage and roadside assistance. Using it doesn't affect your rates and not using it doesn't affect your rates.

There is no connection between your insurance coverage and roadside assistance. Using it doesn't affect your rates and not using it doesn't affect your rates.

Maybe for your insurance...https://www.insurance.com/auto-insurance/auto-insurance-basics/can-roadside-assistance-sabotage-your-car-insurance.aspx

AAA is perfect for us where we live.

But where my son goes to college we learned that there is very little AAA tow truck coverage when he needed a tow. He was told 3 hours before they'd arrive!

So he found a local tow truck company that got to him in 20 minutes and he paid them.
He may be moving back home after his final semester in college so it would be worth having then. Otherwise it's pretty tempting to cancel it for him. He drives an old Honda Accord so he needs some sort of towing coverage.

Maybe for your insurance...https://www.insurance.com/auto-insurance/auto-insurance-basics/can-roadside-assistance-sabotage-your-car-insurance.aspx

I'm not sure I would put a ton of stock in that article is uses a lot of words like "can affect", "may be looked at", etc.

According to Clark Howard, you shouldn't get roadside assistance through your insurer:
Never use these things your insurer offers you
Roadside assistance
Some auto insurers that offer roadside assistance treat your use of it as an at-fault claim and put that through on your C.L.U.E. report.
What’s a C.L.U.E. report? C.L.U.E. stands for Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange. It’s a shared database insurance companies report to when you make a claim. If you have too many claims on your C.L.U.E. report, that could make you radioactive to other insurers for three years.
Why would insurers want to do this? Because it limits your ability to jump ship when they want to raise your insurance rates!

“It’s the Wild West with no rules on what insurers can decide to report on your C.L.U.E. report,” money expert Clark Howard says. “And you have no right of appeal either.”
So here’s the # 1 rule about roadside assistance: Never get it from your own insurer. Get it from AAA or elsewhere.

https://clark.com/insurance/when-not-to-contact-your-insuran/

According to Clark Howard, you shouldn't get roadside assistance through your insurer:
Roadside assistance
Some auto insurers that offer roadside assistance treat your use of it as an at-fault claim and put that through on your C.L.U.E. report.
What’s a C.L.U.E. report? C.L.U.E. stands for Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange. It’s a shared database insurance companies report to when you make a claim. If you have too many claims on your C.L.U.E. report, that could make you radioactive to other insurers for three years.
Why would insurers want to do this? Because it limits your ability to jump ship when they want to raise your insurance rates!

“It’s the Wild West with no rules on what insurers can decide to report on your C.L.U.E. report,” money expert Clark Howard says. “And you have no right of appeal either.”
So here’s the # 1 rule about roadside assistance: Never get it from your own insurer. Get it from AAA or elsewhere.

Funny, since AAA IS our insurer. :rotfl2:

Roadside assistance

Your CLUE report is really used for New Business for acceptability. Often there's a 3 year time frame and then some things are 5 years,7 years or 10 years (I most often see that for DUIs).

Companies often have different rules for acceptability vs when you're an insured.

Because I don't know all companies out there there may be some that increase your rates but I haven't in real life experienced that or heard of anyone around me having that happen with them. However companies often have more rules regarding "up to policy limit", "X coverages are required for Y incident to be covered" or a more sense that you're abusing the coverage (which is what I ran into more with people using it every day for weeks or months at a time to get 1gallon of gasoline...).

I'd like to know what companies actually count roadside service claim as At-Fault rather than a tow claim or a comp claim (like I said I don't know all the companies out there). Plus you have to consider that states can have rules on what is considered At-Fault for example being considered 51% or more fault finding vs 50% and below OR a dollar threshold being used, collision coverage used, etc.

Funny, since AAA IS our insurer. :rotfl2:
I've had AAA for years and years.

For at least 4 years though (can't remember when I switched if it was at the 5th year mark or not) I had them for auto and renters AND had AAA membership and had several service calls in that time period.

None of those service calls by the way made it to my CLUE report lol.

I went to the AAA South website to look at discount and deals. There are alot of them. Some are things you have to order through aaa.com to get the discount like clothes and such.

Others such as discounts as restaurants you will just need to show your card. They listed discounts on MNSSHP, Legoland FL, Busch Gardens in Tampa. But you need to get the tickets either online or go to an AAA office.

No Georgia Aquarium discounts though - rats. I was thinking I might want to do that one Saturday.

Try finding a service facility that you can reach at 2am on a Saturday (who am I kidding, I’m never out past 10am)
There are plans which will dispatch roadside assistance but you're responsible for the cost, frequently a flat rate. Some of the roadside assistance offered by no fee credit cards operate that way. At one time a major company, I think Allstate, offered a plan which was free or almost free. You paid if you used it.

My experience, most of the AAA discounts are no better then AARP or COSTCO. AAA car rental discount generally include an extra driver. Might be a plus if you're not a Costco member.

AAA maps and guide books aren't used much.

We switched to Allstate, through Good Sams, because we have an RV and AAA prices were very high for RV coverage. With Allstate, there were no additional fees, for family members and it included all of our vehicles, including motorcycles for less than AAA. They do give some discounts. I really haven't missed AAA discounts. We might have missed out on a few dollars here and there, but we can usually find discounts if needed (for hotel, etc) through other means.

I've been a AAA member for several years now, but I use it primarily for roadside assistance and discounts on hotel rooms. That's the value in it for me. Discounts at restaurants, on tickets, etc., never seemed to be that much in the first place.

No, the first instance was last May. My BF is Muslim and we don’t talk during Ramadan. I was also traveling to Disney when this happened. . He took a trip to Maine and got a flat tire on his very heavy, very large truck. He had his new AAA card showing it was effective in May. Also, when I paid the renewal I sent him the receipt until the card arrived. He called for a tow and was told he wasn’t active. He had to break our agreement of no communication and text me. I called AAA who lied to me. Bottom line is they told me they applied the payment for his card to an expired account my DD21 had. BUT she had her own personal account, so that was lie. They gave BF a free year.

Obviously, you complained and they gave your BF a Free year, so unsure of what your complaint is??? It just seemed like a mix-up with your membership dates.

Today when I went to the UPS store to send a package, the clerk asked me if I had AAA. Apparently you get a 10% discount if you do. It's been a long time since I looked up all the places that give you discounts but maybe it's time to recheck...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter