A word of CAUTION about Names on clothing

fam4jc

DIS Veteran
Hi. I was going to order Tshirts with my DD's (5 & 7) names on them for our trip (12 days away:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc ) to WDW. My DH stopped me. He is a detective and wouldn't let me order the shirts. He said that we should never have our DD's first names anyplace that a stranger could read it. Not on back packs, name tags, tshirts, etc. He told me that if someone has bad intentions they will use the child's first name to confuse them into believing they know them and/or their parent's.

Just thought I would pass this along since I was a little shocked by his stand on this issue. He is a daddy first, and a cop second.

If you are putting "in case you get lost" ID on your children for WDW, you *do* need to put it somewhere where it can be seen and read by CM's without removing any items of clothing. CM's are not permitted to undress children in order to look for ID.

If you put the info in small print somewhere where it is difficult to read, such as a shoelace tag, a stranger cannot see it without obviously making an effort to read it. Not perfect, but better than losing track of your child.

We had a metal id tag (the size of a dog tag) on DD's shoelace. I was uncertain about putting DD's name on it for the reason your DH mentioned. We did not put her name on it, but put DH and my name, our hotel, and our cell phone number. I also put it face down on the shoelace so you could not read it unless you turned it over.

I was going to order tshirts with my kids name on them also! I was trying to decide if it was "safe" to do or not and now I have my answer. Thanks! It's too bad there are so many sick people out there.....

The best purchase I ever made was the ID Inside wrist band. They come in hot pink and royal blue, which I purchased the hot pink for my daughter.

It's a velcro wristband, with the words ID Inside on the front. When you take it off, there is a little slip of paper inside which contains a place for name, address, phone, etc...

I made up my own inserts for when we go camping, to parks, etc... When we camp, it's the same campsite so I can reuse that paper. I also laminated mine for safety against the weather.

Here is a picture (hope it works)

pinkblue.jpg

It's the best investment ever made. I told my daughter that if she is lost, to have a CM look inside her band, but I'm hoping they could've read the outside band, which stated "ID Inside".

Originally posted by etwinchester
The best purchase I ever made was the ID Inside wrist band. They come in hot pink and royal blue, which I purchased the hot pink for my daughter.

It's a velcro wristband, with the words ID Inside on the front. When you take it off, there is a little slip of paper inside which contains a place for name, address, phone, etc...

I made up my own inserts for when we go camping, to parks, etc... When we camp, it's the same campsite so I can reuse that paper. I also laminated mine for safety against the weather.

pinkblue.jpg

It's the best investment ever made. I told my daughter that if she is lost, to have a CM look inside her band, but I'm hoping they could've read the outside band, which stated "ID Inside".
Where did you buy these and the cost?

I ordered the ID Inside for DS also. It really does the job nicely. I make up different slips of paper for traveling with our airline, flight numbers and cell phone number, then a separate one for our resort name and cell number along with his name. It's easy to switch the slips of paper.

I ordered from www.id-inside.com and I think it was about $7.00.

Since DS is older now, he sometimes doesn't like wearing it on his wrist, so we tighten the wristband to make it really small and he wears it on his fanny pack belt.

Those ID inside things look great! That way you could have emergency information on your child without putting them at risk! And the shoelace ID tag, also a great idea! My DD5 is fearless and will wonder off if we don't watch her ALL THE TIME. That is why we will rent the double strollers in the parks!

Thanks everyone.

Will your children be without you on this trip? Will you be addressing them by their names in public? If someone really wanted your children, they would be watching them and I guarantee you they would be able to figure out their names. All they have to do is listen to what you or a friend calls them. Or even just ask them. If your kids are like mine, they'll volunteer their names to anyone that asks. (I'm not about to teach them not to do this either, as I want them to be able to tell someone who they are in the unlikely event something did happen and they were separated from me.) I may not be a cop, but I'm a savvy mom who believes that having a name on a T-shirt or something else isn't going to make a difference in my child's safety.

I have to agree with dijid. If someone is really interested in your kids they will find a way. We have spent time talking with our kids about strangers and dangers that they may face. They are well informed and we often quiz them on what they should know and do. We have the guest of honor badges for our children. They add a new level to the wdw experience as cms and character's address them by name and often autographs are personalized. I wouldn't want my kids to miss that because of a fear that I have. I think that trusting your kids with appropriate info will keep them much safer than keeping their names off their clothing.

Generally speaking, and correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of kid's being grabbed is a spur of the moment thing. A window of opportunity so to speak. We have been advised that we shouldn't have our young kids backpacks personalized either. As my dd gets older, I'm feeling safer about having her name on things. We do have a family 'password' just in case. But, she is never far away from me, in fact a lot of times she is still walking hand in hand with me at WDW!! If she were younger (she's 10 1/2) I probably wouldn't personalize. Especially much younger kids, say 6 and younger. But, each family must decide what is right for them.

I doubt it. I can't imagine a wacko being in Disney without the intention to harm a child and then spot a name on a childs shirt and suddenly decide this is the time.
I think most of these wacko's are out looking for this.
If they wanted my girl all they would have to do is follow us for about 50 yards and they would not only hear me adress my daughter by her name, but likely catch the names of the rest of my family as well.
I think there is a greater risk of her being attacked by an alligator around Tom Sawyer's Island than being kidnapped!
Sorry, just had to vent.

Bill

We think it best to talk about strangers to our children on a level they can understand, and in a way that doesn't replace safety and politeness with fear. Then we watch them like hawks, with our Uncle Ambassador riding herd.

Even so, one evening at Epcot last year a CM demonstrating a Segway asked one of the Little Delegates to follow him, and off they went to look at sidewalk fibre-optics, unbeknownst to the rest of us. They were found not far away after a few tense moments, and further instructions were given to both about what had happened.

I've never put my kids names on their clothing or backpacks where they can be seen for this reason. They've only been inside in case they were lost.

I just wanted to add that I know kids think it's great to have a personalized "plate" on their bike, but this is just as dangerous too, especially as a predator would be behind them and able to call them by name.

How about Mickey ears with names? I wouldn't want them to wear those in the parks either....

I laminated a wallet size family photo and wrote on the back:
Lovesdumbo Family
Polynesian Resort
Jan 6th to 11th
Cell #(xxx)xxx-xxxx

That way I figured if they got lost the CM's would know what we looked liked.

I just purchased an ID tag that attaches to the shoe. They are really inconspicuous and come in various designs. I just want my little one to be able to find a CM and tell them "I am lost, look at my shoe tag". They are $12.95 w/ no S & H and can be ordered from AWAREABOUTS.COM. I haven't received mine yet, so I can't attest to the quality - but I am sure they are fine

I've always used an ID sticker, lately I used a tag I attach to her shoe but it has my cell phone number and our resort name on it. I don't put her name on it (of course she's certainly old enough now to tell her name & I do try to remind her about talking to strangers--CM's are the ones with the special tags-of course you never know if those could be fake). But, she is pretty good about sticking with me, so I'm pretty lucky that way, but you never know!!

Originally posted by goofy4tink
Generally speaking, and correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of kid's being grabbed is a spur of the moment thing. A window of opportunity so to speak.

Spur of the moment, no, but window of opportunity, yes! Public displays of names do not cause children to be abducted. If a child happens to be in a potentially dangerous situation, a publicly displayed name could potentially open that window of opportunity just a little bit wider....

It does not pose a great threat to a child, but it does pose a threat to some small degree. Are you crazy if you choose to still do it? I don't think so. Are you crazy if you chose not to? I don't think so. Just know that the experts do advise against it.

My 2 cents....

Originally posted by etwinchester

pinkblue.jpg

It's the best investment ever made. I told my daughter that if she is lost, to have a CM look inside her band, but I'm hoping they could've read the outside band, which stated "ID Inside". [/B]

My three kids have these. I like them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter