A stroller What Would You Do?

estherhead

DIS Veteran
We have a 2.5 year old who needs a new stroller. She'll be in it for multiple trips for the next 5-6 years & around town. I've settled on a Maclaren, and not the Volo as it doesn't recline.

I also have two big kids, 7 & 9 on this trip. Right at 70 lbs. They do not need strollers. But I'm Disney savvy enough to know that every once in awhile, they will be having a melt down or whatever. I know them.

I hate to spend the $200 on the Triumph XLR. But, it hold 65 lbs. And my original thought was to buy the Quest or Triumph just for the toddler and then if someone gets sick or melts down, we'll just rent a double stroller for one day. But at $35.00 a pop, I'm not sure this is economical.

What would ya'll's decision be? Oh great Maclaren lovers?

I have a 7 year old and we would never consider him getting in a stroller, but that is just us. We would make our way back to the room or find a bench or long show to sit in before we wheeled him around. We have been taking our now 4 year old since he was 15 months and have the same umbrella stroller from Walmart. It is lightweight, has a canopy, a basket underneath, and it reclines slightly....never fails, will fall asleep in it if he is tired enough. I couldn't imagine bringing an expensive bulky stroller to the World. Our $15 stroller has lasted numerous Disney trips, plus everyday trips. It replaced our big bulky Eddie Bauer one. And if someone takes it we are only out $15 bucks instead of $400. Just something to consider.

I agree....just get the single. If you think the 7 or 9 yo are headed for a meltdown, change gears and have an ice cream break, go back to the resort to swim, etc.

Pushing a 7 and/or 9 yo in a stroller, even a Maclaren, will give you a meltdown!!!

Do you mean the Techno XLR? It's so worth it even for just the toddler. If you can grab one of the new one's floating around the internet at $209.

The sunshade is incredible and the recline is awesome. It's not cumbersome Graco type and has the umbrella fold and carry handle. I get so sad seeing those wee one's bent in 1/2 trying sleep or seeing someone drag a stroller behind them to get it to recline. I guess I look at it this way your toddler's getting nothing but bigger, you know you're going to be using it for 5-6 years you're really not investing that much more per trip into the much nicer ride that could hold your older kiddos in a crisis.

I agree....just get the single. If you think the 7 or 9 yo are headed for a meltdown, change gears and have an ice cream break, go back to the resort to swim, etc.

Pushing a 7 and/or 9 yo in a stroller, even a Maclaren, will give you a meltdown!!!

I agree. Unless your 7 and 9 yr old kids have some sort of health condition, I'd let them walk and do like Perditamarie suggests. That's the perfect time to head for the pool and put the baby down for a nap.

We bought a Techno XLR last year for DS almost 3's trip to Disney last year. Also because I was tired of lugging around our graco stroller. LOVE the Techno.. So glad we got it. This winter we are going again. Now we have a second child and will rent a double Mac while we are there but the Techno is coming down for the trips from the airport and back.

We got ours on Ebay. Saved A LOT of money which is always good.

On our WDW trip this past April, my kids were the exact same ages as your kids. I brought our Peg Aria for DS2. DD9 & DS7 walked. If they were tired, we slowed down to their pace or took a break. We also went back to the resort every afternoon to relax and swim, so we all had a mid-day break. Honestly, my older kids would be horrified at the thought of being in a stroller, even for a few minutes.

For your 2 yr old, get whatever stroller you think is best for her. if your older kids really need a stroller, you could always rent as needed.

Thanks everyone for the quick answers. Yes, I did mean the Techno XLR, not the Triumph. We've had every kind of stroller & spent plenty of time pushing around $15.00 Wal-Mart strollers, enormous double jogging strollers, Graco double strollers, etc. I think with me being 35, I'm ready for the toddler to have a real stroller that I don't have to bend over to push & that is easy to tote around. I'm old, I need a stroller for me, ya know?

And, yes, I do believe in taking breaks, etc. Both my girls are very active & would never ride in a stroller, even on a hot day at the zoo, here locally. However, my husband is like some kind of power walking/stroller pushing maniac at WDW & I wear a sports bra cause we move that quickly. I'm not even kidding.

So I'm just being realistic with my family (ya'll know you CANNOT change dh's) there will be moments when a big kid needs a break. We've also had big kids in strollers because they get sick & cannot make it back to the entrance. For other families, these are rare occasions. For our family, we can count on it.

We'll be on the DDP this time so there will be plenty of breaks & chilling. But even still, it's scary for me to have no back-up plans.

And yes, we do also have special needs kids in our group (seven kids total, three are mine) so I like options for that too.

But I HATE to spend $200.00 on a stroller. I was hoping to be in the $100 range. It's hard to double that.

OK, thanks to all of your help. And quick! I've decided on a Maclaren Triumph in Pink & coffee for $130.00 (shipping incl.) I think the Techno XLR was just simply out of my price range. It'll be fine & I'll just antibacterial & Airborne & hope on THIS trip no one gets sick on the FAR end of Epcot. And with a 55lb weight limit, we could probably push a big kid in an emergency.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter