A springtime WDW trip that didn’t happen..please share thoughts

Tinkaboo

DIS Veteran
My son and his girlfriend had a wonderful trip planned for spring break, unfortunately, they were to leave the weekend that Southwest had all the cancellations. They were already at the airport inIndy when they found out. This was on Saturday, Southwest said they couldn’t get them out until Tuesday. They were scheduled to return on Friday so it didn’t make any sense to go for two days basically.

Disney wouldn’t do anything, said they needed to talk to their trip insurance people. They are still hassling with the insurance company, had to get Southwest to provide a letter ,etc.

I’m just curious to hear from others who may have had similar experience, as that was the first weekend in April whenthousands of flights were cancelled. I did read a news story about a family who rented a car and went on, etc but I’m especially interested to hear personal stories from DISers who may have had this happen.

I‘m hopeful he will eventually get this resolved as it was several thousand dollars. I was glad to hear he had trip insurance, he’s a smart kid, and had even planned on proposing at the French restaurant. (He ended up proposing anyway just at home lol).

If trip insurance fails, has anyone had any experience with getting Disney to reschedule? They basically told him since it was day of, tough luck. Can’t believe they would be that callous especially when there had to be hundreds of people in same situation at the peak of spring break.

TIA for your stories….
Tink

Smart kid having ins., but if they don't cover his loss, it makes you wonder why have ins. I've had it for every cruise and most flights, but never for cost of hotels at Disney. I always figured I could cancel any stay, but when it happens the day you're supposed to be there not sure what I'd do. Hope it works out for him.

Yeah, sometimes I’m not sure whose kid he really is..we made prolly 8 trips to WDW when he was little and NEVER had insurance...lol. I was going to a concert in California with my friend last year but when COVID re-emerged, we decided it wouldn’t be prudent. I had bought insurance with those tickets and got my money back, granted it was only couple hundred bucks.

I‘m really trying to stay out of it, but it’s hard sometimes. But he’s very level-headed and I’m sure he will persevere.

And exactly..isn’t that what insurance is for????

We drove back April 2nd (reached destination April 4 at 4 am) after having a half day at Epcot. We received a refund from our flight eventually, but we had to pay for a car, hotel, groceries etc. We book flights separately and get trip insurance as we figure Disney has a better refund policy (we’ve had flights cancelled on us less than 24 hrs prior by AA last year and we had to scramble and lost money by booking last min on Spirit).

I would expect better from Disney. They could have forfeited the first night but allow rebooking for a future trip.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/southwest-cancelled-our-flight-with-less-than-12-hours-😡.3878174/page-2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter