A short vent by my family's official planner AKA me

Jess_S

DIS Veteran
Background: My parents, DH, DS and I are going to WDW at the end of the month. I have handled all of the planning including booking our resort, tickets, dining, fastpasses, etc.

A few days before our FP window opened, I called my parents to discuss the fastpass situation. I told them that DH and I would be getting FoP fastpasses, but that DS was too small to ride it. I explained that FoP regularly has 3 hour plus waits, so they really needed a FP to ride. Both of them said they weren't interested in riding any ride that DS couldn't ride and asked that I book Navi for them instead. I followed up by sending my mom a spreadsheet of the fastpasses I was planning to book for each day of our trip. I later updated the spreadsheet with the fastpasses I actually booked.

Today, I got a call from my Mom.

Mom: "My co-worker just got back from Disney and he says I really need to ride the new Avatar ride, Flight of something. Did you get me a fastpass for that?"

I figured that DISers would be the only ones to understand my exasperation.

Last edited:
I’m a disney newbie but maybe you could try the rider switch option. I know it’s debatable whether you have to have a fast pass or not but maybe you’ll get lucky???? Sorry I fear I’ll be in the same boat with my in-laws in a few months time. They are saying the same thing yours are saying but I don’t trust them to really mean that either.

Oh, we get it!

I did a trip which included meals for 10 people at CRT, BOG, and Le Cellier amongst others... FP for Mine Train and all the headliners (this was before Pandora). Ages from 1 yr to 70.

Everyone just breezed through all these things - we were in line for Laugh Factory and we were looking close to missing the Mine Train FP and they were like, can't we just move it? And I remember how they thought BOG was nice for lunch, could we come back for dinner?

I still feel this strange mixture of both pride and exasperation that they all thought it was just easy breezy peasy!

Hang in there - and I agree, keep trying to get FP and otherwise try to get a rider switch!

Ugh! In general, people just don’t get it unless they are Disney people, lol
But hey... on the bright side You Got the fastpasses At all... and so many can’t or didn’t.
Have a great trip!

Background: My parents, DH, DS and I are going to WDW at the end of the month. I have handled all of the planning including booking our resort, tickets, dining, fastpasses, etc.

A few days before our FP window opened, I called my parents to discuss the fastpass situation. I told them that DH and I would be getting FoP fastpasses, but that DS was too small to ride it. I explained that FoP regularly has 3 hour plus waits, so they really needed a FP to ride. Both of them said they weren't interested in riding any ride that DS couldn't ride and asked that I book Navi for them instead. I followed up by sending my mom a spreadsheet of the fastpasses I was planning to book for each day of our trip. I later updated the spreadsheet with the fastpasses I actually booked.

Mom: "My co-worker just got back from Disney and he says I really need to ride the new Avatar ride, Flight of something. Did you get me a fastpass for that?"

easy fix for this one all of you go to line CM and ask for rider swap pass. you and husband ride as planned and your parents ride with the rider swap pass. happens all the time with my large group and at least this one is easy fixed

"No, Mom, I didn't. You specifically told me that you did not want to ride ANY ride that DS cannot. DS is not tall enough for FOP. Did you have any other suggestions?"

easy fix for this one all of you go to line CM and ask for rider swap pass. you and husband ride as planned and your parents ride with the rider swap pass. happens all the time with my large group and at least this one is easy fixed

Does this work if only 2 of us have fastpasses?

As of now, I've told my mom that she is welcome to rope drop FOP while the rest of the family does other things. My son has, umm, let's say, unique, interests and he wants to go directly to the naked mole rat exhibit when we enter the park and then head over to the petting area so he can pet goats with low crowds.

As of now, I've told my mom that she is welcome to rope drop FOP while the rest of the family does other things. My son has, umm, let's say, unique, interests and he wants to go directly to the naked mole rat exhibit when we enter the park and then head over to the petting area so he can pet goats with low crowds.
Yes Rider Swap can be used with both FP+ access or Standby access. Just head up to the CM heading the line and explain.

I like your son's way of thinking. I'd totally be hanging out with him. Bring on the naked mole rats and goats! :thumbsup2

when you go to your FP time you show your son to CM at line and ask for a rider swap ticket. then you and husband other person with FP ride then you give rider swap to mom and they ride while you guys do something with your son. it is called rider swap. do not have to do at rope drop only thing you don't seem to have planned to use this is having CM see your child. check out rider swap for info. as I said this is one of the easier problems to fix even with only 2 FPs just be glad it is not trying to add a guest to ADR with nothing avavible

Oh i feel your pain and frustration -- even when people see the spreadsheets they really do not know the extensive work that goes into these trips. We arrive in 8 day -- thankfully our traveling party (my family of 5 and in laws) have a pretty good understanding of how WDW works. All you have to do is tell them that there are no fast passes available and that they will be going on Navi. You could be nice and say that you will keep looking in case something opens up, but you know that they have no chance.

I'm hoping the best for you with the kid swap, but there have been some stories/rumors that with some big rides everyone had to have a FP

We are also hoping it would work with only some having AP. We'd like to be able to use a FP take the younger one on another ride.

I can so relate to your pain. At 180 days I made ADR's not a peep from my daughters relatives. On Wednesday I made all of the fast pass reservations. Now its Friday and I have over a dozen emails asking what about this restaurant (Chef Mickey's) we always eat there and people wanting me to drop some fast passes. I cannot believe I got both FoP and NaVi for consecutive days (Day 1 and Day 2) and 3 people are whining that they wanted to be sleeping in at 11:30. Sigh sometimes I think g*d has it in for me.

While you have a perfect explanation of how Baby swap works, there have been more cases of it not working at FOP without everyone having a FP than it working. I feel your frustration. I would tell her she can try baby swap and see if it works or she can choose to stand in line for it while the rest of you tour the park.

Haha, I feel your pain. My PITA is my husband. I have pretty much always plan/research all of our vacations, and Disney is no different. I asked him if there was anything he wanted me to attempt to get FP's for and he said no whatever you think. Which is fine, that's our dynamic, I'm a planner, he is not. So I'm hoping there won't be any last minute things he asks about. I mentioned rider swap, and he isn't interested in doing that. He is happy doing whatever our 3 1/2 yr old wants to do. I myself, love rides so I want to ride EVERYTHING. I have a feeling after I ride FOP, and see how awesome it is, he will want to ride it too. Anyway, I was going to say- he did surprise me though with ADR's. I was unable to get any of the ADR's we had wanted and after searching everyday for 2 months, I pretty much told him we are winging it because I'm frustrated with it. Literally NEXT day he gets us in to my #1 choice, BOG for lunch! He has since booked Cindy's Dinner and Bon Voyage Breakfast. I'm happy that he has started helping, so I'm trying really hard not to complain cause I know how annoying that is as the vacation planner. Good luck with you Mom, hopefully it will be a fun trip and she gets on FOP. :)

This is why I don't go crazy with the planning. Pick a few places to eat, pick some FPs and wake up whenever and hit the park we feel like that day. If I had to plan a trip that included other people I'd just tell them I wasn't going LOL.

I do understand though for some planning is just as exciting as the trip, I hope your mom gets to ride without too much of a wait :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter