A Room for 5?

momdad4kids

Mouseketeer
We've finally shoved the 1st one out of the nest:dogdance: Now traditionally we've always booked adjoining rooms at POP but with only 5 of us we cant decide where to stay. So I thought who else better to ask than the fine people of the WDWinfo boards! :worship:

We thought about POR but I don't think the 5th sleeper is really big enough so we're leaning towards a jr suite at Coronado or the Contemporary but Im sure you guys have some ideas so lets hear them!

Depends if you want 5 real beds or not. From what I've read and seen on video, junior suites are 2 rooms together- a regular room plus a living room with a sofa bed. If you are ok sacrificing a bed anyway, then you might get a cheaper room at a deluxe which will have a daybed or sofa bed and a better location (although less space - 420sqft vs 620sqft).

How big is the 5th person? And are the other 4 comfortable sharing 2 total beds? If the answers are "small" and "yes" then you have lots of options. Many Moderate rooms have a Murphy bed for the 5th person. If the answer is "no", then I would just get two rooms at the cheapest rate. If the fifth person is big and the others are comfortable sharing 2 beds, consider renting a 1 bedroom DVC unit at Animal Kingdom Lodge or Bay Lake Tower. They have sleeper chairs for the 5th, not a Murphy bed.

All Star Music Family Suites. Four sleeping devices=sleeping space for up to six: kitchenette; two bathrooms.

IF you need two rooms make sure you request connecting, not adjoining. Adjoining just means close to each other and not with a door that opens between them.

Same situation here--oldest just left for college!
We will be staying in a YC garden view room this December. Our youngest is 12 and I think will fit in the day bed just fine.

Edited to add: Our other two are 14 and 16 years old; they are both boys and are fine sharing a Queen size bed. Dh and I will be in the other queen.

Unusable advice deleted....reality didn't hit me until I hit Post Reply :sad2:

ETA. We were just 4.....realized after I typed that they may not allow group of five to reserve one standard room

Last edited:

Have you thought about a cabin at Fort Wilderness? If that's your thing, then it might be a good option. Coronado is beautiful, but for the price of a Junior Suite, you could stay at a deluxe that sleeps five and be closer to the parks. The daybeds at the deluxe resorts are pretty nice. I'm 5'11" and I've comfortably slept in one. You could also consider renting DVC points for a one or two bedroom villa.

We stayed at CSR in April- regular 2 queen room. We had a twin air mattress with us as backup, but they had a rollaway available. Plenty of room for it. Even though we could have folded it up for floor space at times, we ended up leaving it out all week. If you aren't expecting to spend a lot of time in your room and you just need sleeping space for five, that is an option.
But they won't let you register 5 people in a regular room at CSR unless the fifth person is under 3, right?

Some of the DVC studios can accommodate 5 people to a reservation, like Boardwalk Villas. However the sleeping areas are 1 x queen bed, 1 x sleeper sofa, 1 x murphy bed.

Honestly, not sure if a deluxe room is priced better than two connecting (if possible, I know on request only but they try) rooms at a value resort.

I rented (from www.redweek.com) a one bedroom at AKL Kidani last year - the living room had a queen (or double?) sofa sleeper (I think it was queen) and a chair that folded out to a twin bed. Plus an extra full bathroom. My favorite feature is the washer/dryer (and we used the kitchen for breakfast and snacks). I only paid about $250/night, not sure what the owner was thinking! The location actually got to me; I prefer Jambo as someone in our group was constantly wanting to get something from the Mara, so it was a bit of a pain. Also the bus service wasn't so great (I've liked it better at Pop sometimes). Not all one bedrooms sleep five, and since my kids wanted their own beds, with both sofa sleeper and chair opened (we just left them open after the first day, not worth the hassle of closing and opening) the living room was crammed! You had to climb over to get to the balcony.

I'd rather have two rooms, but this trip was supposed to just be 3 of us initially, so was fine. But oldest ended up joining us, and I had already paid for the room.

We love CBR for our family of 5, but our kids are younger. The pull down bed can fit a small adult. I can certainly fit on it at 5'2". If you are all really tall it might not be that comfortable. But it's a great resort with nice rooms.

Really depends on what type of bedding is okay ... sofabeds, fold out chairs, murphy beds .... and how your kids are at sharing beds.

And what level of "quality" you want from your room or resort.

There are options at every level, with different price points and much different levels of quality.

My family has always enjoyed POR. Last year when we stayed there my brother slept in the pull-down and he was about 5' 2''. I totally suggest you still look into POR. CBR has a similar layout of the room too. AoA and ASMu has nice family suites too. The cabins at FW have a kitchen which is a money saver if you like to make your own food to take into the parks. The suites at CSR you mentioned are very nice but construction could be a problem unless you don't mind the construction. I'd also consider looking into rooms on Dave's dvc as their prices are decent on their 1 br's unless you also are interested in a studio.

p07jmt826ggbhx2x.png

al6ypv7dkvyue27u.png

I think DVC would be the way to go. Rent points from a member to make it more affordable. The GF and Poly studios sleep 5 and are a decent size. Also a 1 bedroom many others will also sleep 5. Not sure which ones exactly. I know that OKW does and is one of the largest. AK one bedroom does but it is not nearly as spacious, same with BLT. BC is only 4.Poly does not have a 1 bedroom. You will have to ask about the others.

For our first on property stay we chose the Lion King family suite at Art of Animation and it was wonderful! Bedroom with queen for the wife and I, sleeper sofa for our big kids, and Murphy bed for the other. Two baths made getting ready in the morning or cleaning up in the evening easy. We would all stay there again in a heart beat.

Our family resembles yours - 4 kiddos! For many trips we did two rooms at a moderate (loved POFQ). When oldest did not travel with us, we took the opportunity to move to the deluxe level. Room costs with discounts seemed a wash compared with 2 mod rooms and we did save on food and ticket costs for the 6th person.

We looked at all of the options for our last trip (August 7-14) from DVC to suites to the cabins. We really preferred real beds, and in our experience the deluxe hotels with the daybeds and 2 queens do the best with this. Disney is exhausting and everyone needs a good nights sleep, which can be a gamble when you start talking murphy and fold out (my personnel fav is the fold out ottoman offered at Music - LOL).

We stayed at BC our first trip with 5 and this past trip we stayed at BWI (which we adored).

I should've given you people a bit more info, our family (in residence) is currently my wife and I plus 3, 15yo DDs (the smallest being 5"7). We're thinking the last week of Feb/ 1st week of March and looking for a deal. The suites at ASMU and Art tend to fill fast or aren't included in most of the deals. We can live with 2 queens and a sleeper sofa, I just don't think the day bed at POR will be big enough but I could be wrong. The cabins at Fort Wilderness would work fine but "we" already have a camp and if the natives get used to the extra amenities at FW like running water and electricity I could be in for a world of financial hurt (you'd be shocked how many pests that attracts too:P).
We're really leaning towards a deluxe, as PA Princess said "Room costs with discounts seemed a wash compared with 2 mod rooms and we did save on food and ticket costs for the 6th person". Maybe renting a DVC is the way to go but we've never really seriously looked into renting points before.

I should've given you people a bit more info, our family (in residence) is currently my wife and I plus 3, 15yo DDs (the smallest being 5"7). We're thinking the last week of Feb/ 1st week of March and looking for a deal. The suites at ASMU and Art tend to fill fast or aren't included in most of the deals. We can live with 2 queens and a sleeper sofa, I just don't think the day bed at POR will be big enough but I could be wrong. The cabins at Fort Wilderness would work fine but "we" already have a camp and if the natives get used to the extra amenities at FW like running water and electricity I could be in for a world of financial hurt (you'd be shocked how many pests that attracts too:P).
We're really leaning towards a deluxe, as PA Princess said "Room costs with discounts seemed a wash compared with 2 mod rooms and we did save on food and ticket costs for the 6th person". Maybe renting a DVC is the way to go but we've never really seriously looked into renting points before.

The rooms that sleep 5 with a pull down bed would likely not work for your family of teens and adults. The ones at POR and CBR are really for a child. The ones in the DVC studios may be a little larger, but still smaller than a regular twin size bed. Here is some good info:
https://dvcnews.com/index.php/resor...5/news-99629/3228-studio-murphy-beds-up-close

The deluxes that have a proper daybed (e.g., GF, Poly, Contemporary) may work. I think the daybed is pretty close to a twin-size.

It will be more cramped than two rooms/two bathrooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!