A Quick Trip Report (June 23-27)

GPC0321

DIS Veteran
I just wanted to share some highlights and reflections of my most recent trip. It was me (45) and my parents (mid-70's) and this was my fourth trip in as many years and their third trip since 2016.

1. We stayed at the Villas at the Grand Floridian in a standard studio villa. This was our second time staying here, and while it didn't "wow" us as much as the first time (which was during Christmastime), it was still very nice.
  2. We live in eastern NC, so our weather here at home is usually pretty close to Orlando's (sometimes it's actually hotter here in the summer than there). Having said that, it was HOT down there that week! So hot that it was being talked about on the news and by the locals and cast members. Most days the temp was 96-99 with heat index reaching to around 110. It only rained once the whole trip, and that was Tuesday afternoon/evening (we were there Sunday through Thursday). The weather on Wednesday was noticeably better, still hot, but less humidity and just more tolerable. We were careful not to do too much during the heat of the day, and Mom and I stayed pretty much submerged in the Courtyard pool at the GF during the afternoon, LOL!
  3. I went at the same time last summer, and it seemed more crowded this summer, especially at Magic Kingdom, which was so hot and crowded one day that we just gave up and came back to the pool. My mom and I adore Magic Kingdom, but we went enough on this trip that I almost grew tired of it. I like being able to just walk around and look at things and watch the street performers and castle show and such, but it was hard to do with the crowds and heat this year.
  4. Sunday we met up with some of our family who we hadn't seen in a long time and just happened to be there at the same time staying at the Contemporary. We hung out at MK, rode a few things, had lunch, then parted ways. That night was Animal Kingdom. We watched Festival of the Lion King (always great), ate at Tusker House (first time, was great...that pork was so yummy! Met Goofy, Mickey, and Daisy), watched Rivers of Light (LOVED it!), rode Na'vi River Journey (loved this too! better than expected!), and caught a Tree Awakening before leaving (very cool).
  5. Monday Mom and I went to MK to shop for a Vera Bradley purse (used to have them on Main St. don't anymore) and hang out. It was too hot and crowded, so after we shared a citrus swirl while watching the camel at the flying carpets spit on people (we did this twice during our trip, LOL), we headed back for the pool. Monday night was Epcot and one of the highlights of the trip. We rode Spaceship Earth and Living with the Land, and then my parents got to ride Soarin' for the first time. They loved it! My mom is prone to motion sickness and doesn't really like "thrill" rides at all, and she was holding on for dear life through the whole thing, but she couldn't stop talking about it even after we got home! So glad she liked it! From there, we headed into World Showcase and strolled around, finally arriving at Rose & Crown where we had an IllumiNations Dining Package reservation. Our table was PERFECT for watching IllumiNations. Could not have asked for a better spot. The weather had cooled as night fell, so it was comfortable out there, and the food was delicious! Absolutely worth the price, and a great way to say farewell to my favorite nighttime show (*sniff*).
  6. Tuesday morning I got up at the crack of dawn and headed by myself to Animal Kingdom while the parents slept in. My mission: Rope drop Flight of Passage (which I had never ridden), and I had a 9-10am fastpass for Everest (which I still haven't ridden!) The whole thing went smoothly and I got to ride FoP: I'll say right now, I don't get the hype on this ride. I mean, it's fine. It was enjoyable and all that, but it's hardly worth all the hoopla I've read and heard about it and certainly not worth a long wait! I think I enjoyed the queue and getting to wind through the area under the floating mountains as much as the actual ride. To me, Soarin' is a much better attraction. I never got tricked into thinking I was really riding the banshee through all of that the way I get tricked into thinking I'm actually flying over mountains and landmarks in Soarin'. Maybe part of it is being anchored to that bike thing on the ground vs. hanging with my feet dangling (feet that In pull up because I'm convinced they're going to hit a mountain top!). I don't know, but for me, FoP was a "one and done". I actually liked the Na'vi River Journey better, and will make an effort to do that one again!
  7. Got off of FoP to discover Everest was down and I had a choice of other fastpasses, none of which I wanted, so I left AK at a little after 9am, which, I discovered, isn't easy since no buses are going back to resorts at that time! Luckily there was a "Special Events" bus that is on stand-by to transport guests who need to get somewhere not on the normal routes, so I got that bus all to myself on the way back to the GF. The bus driver was really nice and we chatted the whole way back. I also texted Mom to let her know I was on my way. We had plans to go to Disney Springs to the Vera Bradley store to procure the coveted purse (for Mom). They were eating breakfast when I texted, and I realized I hadn't eaten anything, so I told her to pick me up a kid's Mickey waffles to go and I'd see them back at the room! (For the record: I ate kid's Mickey waffles every morning and I miss them so much now. We all found that the kid's portions for breakfast suited our appetites and were so much cheaper PLUS you get that little bottle of Dasani water to take back to the room for later...we have refillable mugs for normal drinking).
  8. Went to Disney Springs and found the glorious purse for Mom, then went to World of Disney and bought some stuff, then went to the Lego store and stared in disbelief at stuff, then headed back to the hotel.
  9. I think we wallowed in the Courtyard Pool a little when we got back. Then it was time to get ready to head to Hollywood Studios for the Galactic Spectacular Dessert Party. While getting ready and just chilling in the room, the heavens finally opened up and it poured. The rain continued until we got to HS, then it stopped. We had some time to kill before the dessert party was open, so we watched Voyage of the Little Mermaid. When we got out of that it was pouring again, so we hunkered down under a shelter, donned our ponchos and I went to check us in for the party, where I was informed that we would be the "Family of the Day" (!!!) This mean that we got to borrow lightsabers and follow the Stormtroopers from Launch Bay to the viewing area, leading everyone else. We got our picture taken with a certificate awarding us as the family of the day, and were introduced to everyone at the party before heading off to watch the show. It was nice to be chosen, but I honestly do wish they'd picked someone with kids. There were plenty of Star Wars-crazy kids there with their own lightsabers and such that would have gotten a much bigger thrill out of it. Still, it was a nice bit of Pixie Dust, and I could have refused...they did ask if we were willing to do it, and one does get caught up in the moment, LOL! Anyway, the dessert party was fine, though we preferred Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam Dessert Party. We met Kylo Ren, which was...awkward, and the Stormtroopers were doing their thing as they milled around the party. The food was good, and the show was good. I'm glad we did it, but it's not anything I'd be interested in doing again. That's literally ALL we did in HS. Never even laid eyes on Toy Story Land! (Next time, next time)
  10. Wednesday Mom and I got up early and went to Animal Kingdom. We rode Kilimanjaro, which was one of the best experiences we've had on that. It's always great, but the animals were very visible and CLOSE this time. Giraffes all over the place. Saw the lions and elephants better this time than ever before too. Afterward, we walked the Maharajah Jungle Trek, then went and watched the Up! Bird Show (cute), then ate at Flame Tree, then did Bug's Life.
  11. We had a Hoop Dee Doo reservation for 4:00 that day, so we headed back to the resort and just relaxed (no pool) until it was time to go. Navigated the monorail to boat situation and got to Fort Wilderness a little early, so we chilled in rocking chairs on a porch until it was time. This was our first time doing Hoop Dee Doo, and another big highlight of the trip for us! Our table was at the very front, right next to the stage, and we had such a great time! The food was delicious (those ribs!), and the show was absolutely delightful! Again, like the IllumiNations Dining Package - well worth the money!
  12. After Hoop Dee Doo, we returned to the GF, though Mom and I stayed only briefly. MK had EMH until 1am, and we were determined to go (you might notice we leave Dad behind a lot, he likes it that way, trust me, LOL). Our first priority was a good spot for Happily Ever After, which we got in the non-dessert party garden viewing area (Casey's/Crystal Palace end). We sprawled on the fake grass and let other people's children wallow all over us and blow bubbles at us (LOL...they were cute children, we didn't mind), and then had an excellent view of HEA. Afterward we just let the masses clear out a bit, and then went to see what we could do. I'll be honest, it was tough staying until the end, especially since we'd been up since early that morning. I have to give my 76-year old mother mad props! She hung tough the entire time! We honestly didn't get a whole lot done, it was still SO crowded! We did ride PeopleMover, and watched Country Bears, rode Small World, did Laugh Floor, ate a pretzel (while watching the camel spit on people again), and finally rode Haunted Mansion at about 12:30 before strolling out of the park and calling it a night. Got the boat back to the GF and collapsed into bed.
  13. Our last morning we had FastPasses for Mine Train, BTMRR, and Splash at MK. So we got up, ate breakfast, got our luggage squared away at the airline check-in, and hopped on the monorail. I wasn't sure about Mom on Mine Train, but she road it, and though she needed to sit down afterward to ("get my brains unscrambled"), the PhotoPass pictures of her and Dad on it are fantastic, and she sure LOOKS like she's having a blast! Big smile in one and laughing in the other! I've already got prints and they'll be framed for an anniversary gift next month. Mom sat out Big Thunder, which I do believe was best for her. She chilled in a rocking chair in the shade while Dad and I rode. Then we sat with her until it was time for Splash, which she did with us. We. Got. Soaked! LOL! It was fun, still probably my favorite ride in all of Disney.
  14. After that, it was one last pass through The Emporium to pick up some souvenirs for people back home, and then back to the GF to grab lunch, then we chilled in the lobby until time for the Magical Express.
  15. I had gone into this trip with the realization in my head that this could be my parents' last trip. That this might be getting to be too much for them. But as we boarded the Magical Express that afternoon, my Mom announced "I feel sure I WILL be back!" And for the next week after we got home, she did nothing but talk about the trip, how much she missed being there, and how she couldn't wait to go back! Now THAT is MAGIC! :tinker:

Last edited:
It sounds like you had a wonderful trip! I'm glad your parents enjoyed it and your mom wants to go back.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who enjoys Soarin' over Flight of Passage. I've always felt I'm missing something with FoP. I've never felt the banshee breathing on me and find the crouched position kind of awkward.

Sounds like a great trip! We love Hoop de Doo, too! I love your mom's attitude and reaction at the end. One of my favorite things about Disney is that it's magical for all ages! I'm so glad you and your parents had such a magical time.

I really enjoyed your trip report. It sounds like you did a superb job of pre-planning, which is no easy feat. Your Mom sounds like she’s a lot of fun and thank you for sharing what sounds like a very magical family trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter