A question for the Budget Board

Should we add a Community Sub Forum to the Budget Board?

• Yes, I want a community sub-forum

• No, I like the Budget Board the way it is now.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WebmasterPete

Grand Administrator
Hi everyone,

In taking a look over this board the last few weeks I see a wide variety of posts here, and while many of them deal with 'budget' related topics, there are some that don't. Since this is what we consider a 'very busy' board (lots of traffic), I was wondering if we should set up a separate community sub-forum here for posts that don't necessarily fall into the budget category. We've done this on some of our other large forums and its worked out well. Rather than just make a unilateral decision, I thought I'd post a poll to see what all of you thought. If you're happy with the board the way it is, that's fine and we can leave it alone. If you think a community sub-forum is a good idea, we can do that pretty easily. Just figured I'd ask for opinions :)

Thanks,
Pete

For years this forum has moved from Disney trip financial to financial in general and then to completely :offtopic: discussions. Possibly the forum moderators should be more aggressive in moving the OT threads into the CB instead of having a Budget CB.

I think that keeping it to allow any financial-related discussions is a good idea.

I like it the way it is but I have to agree on the off-topic posts (and there's been a couple doozies!). I know the mods work hard (yay mods! :cheer2: ) but I don't think they need another spot to keep an eye on.

I think that the reason people post :offtopic: threads here is because this is the particular forum they feel most comfortable in. I can understand that. On the other hand I also feel that it can become a bit "cluttered" with off topic discussion. In that, sometimes one has to scan through titles of OT threads to find the budget topics that are meant to be here. I don't take offense to OT threads here but I do sometimes "forget" I am on the Budget Board simply because there can be so many OT threads. I come here looking for budget advice, ideas and info and though some of the OT threads may be interesting or pertinent to other areas of my life, I do feel that the focus should be on Budget/financial issues. WE do have a community boards and although there are different people who post there many of them are also the same as those who post here. A subforum seems like a compromise. Thank you Pete for involving Dis Board members in this decision.

Well, we already have a great community board here...so why do we need 2? I'm not sure if a 2nd budget board would make things easier on the mods....if so that's ok too, but isn't it simpler to just move the OT things?

I think that the reason people post :offtopic: threads here is because this is the particular forum they feel most comfortable in. I can understand that. On the other hand I also feel that it can become a bit "cluttered" with off topic discussion. In that, sometimes one has to scan through titles of OT threads to find the budget topics that are meant to be here. I don't take offense to OT threads here but I do sometimes "forget" I am on the Budget Board simply because there can be so many OT threads. I come here looking for budget advice, ideas and info and though some of the OT threads may be interesting or pertinent to other areas of my life, I do feel that the focus should be on Budget/financial issues. WE do have a community boards and although there are different people who post there many of them are also the same as those who post here. A subforum seems like a compromise. Thank you Pete for involving Dis Board members in this decision.

:thumbsup2

I come here for budget advice, great deals and cool people. In fact, I come her to ESCAPE the CB! :thumbsup2

I would welcome a subforum...with open arms!!
smiley_hug.gif

Why doesn't someone just moderate this board and move off topic posts to the community board, with a trailing flag to show that it has been moved?

Seems like if someone actually was involved in moderating this board then this wouldn't be a problem.

I can understand that too. It doesn't bother me, but I do understand that it bothers some people. I say leave it the way it is or just have someone actually come and mod every once in a while. I didn't think we actually had a mod on this board... so maybe someone who loves the BB could be assigned to it.

No sub-forum needed (as I feel there are plenty of places on this website to discuss whatever moves you), but I would really like to see one of the BB regulars become a host/moderator, so they could have the power to move some of the more "off-topic" stuff to the Community Board, or other compatible forum without embarrassing the Moderator Team (for inappropriate threads/posts left on the BB way too long).

Fact of the matter is this board is assigned a moderator/host (aka-mad4themouse) who has not been heard from since 11-09-2009, which is more than 2 years ago (but still listed as someone who actively hosts/moderates the BB). For whatever reasons only known to aka-mad4themouse, that person has (obviously) not been present on The DIS in a long, long time. Fix this oversight, and a majority of your problems will be solved.

I think the lack of a full-time, dedicated moderator is what enables some posters (who have never mentioned anything Disney) to come here, post their financial woes, and hopes we will solve all their problems.

Thing is, the Budget Board has evolved into something way different than it's original intention (to plan Disney trips on the cheap, which is what brought me in) -- anymore, it's become something of a place where some are seeking financial advice/airing their financial "dirty laundry" while there are others who come here to vent about anything that bothers them (which was made evident by a thread that was recently locked and caused me some issues because of a comment I made).

My bottom line about the BB is that it was not intended to be, say, another Clark Howard or Suze Orman-type webiste (and I don't think the owners want it to go in that directon, either).

Hope this helps...

I'm fine with it as it is, but I also understand that some/many people don't like to see OT posts (I tend to just skip over them, but I am on the BB often enough that there aren't that many new posts to scroll through each visit).

I do think that sometimes threads are moved too aggressively - I like reading threads about eating at home or using coupons, even if they don't specifically relate to Disney, because it helps me divert more money to the Disney fund. I also enjoy reading other travel threads - questions about nice, cheap hotels in other places, etc. They are off topic, I guess, but I'm always looking for a good travel deal! :goodvibes That's just personal preference, though - I don't know that they necessarily belong on the Budget Board.

The CB seems even busier than the Budget Board, though, so is it more helpful to the moderators to move threads to the CB or to a BB sub-forum? I think the BB posters can roll either way as long as we understand the rules.

Thanks for the opportunity to be involved in the solution! :thumbsup2

Thing is, the Budget Board has evolved into something way different than it's original intention (to plan Disney trips on the cheap, which is what brought me in) --

While I agree with your post, and I also came to the Budget Board looking for ways to plan Disney trips inexpensively, I don't know if there is enough material to sustain the budget board if it is limited to Disney discounts. Room discounts are discussed on the Codes and Rates Board, airfare on the Transportation Board, and ticket brokers on the Theme Parks Board. I like knowing I can get mister fans at Walmart for cheaper or knowing that the Disney Store is having a sale or free shipping. I also like knowing when Target clearance goes 75% off, even though it has nothing to do with my upcoming Disney trip. I'd hate to see those posts go away (and maybe you're not suggesting that they do), but I also don't want to see it morph into relationship advice or a credit/finance board with no Disney connection.

I do think consistent application of whatever rules are decided would be a good thing. I know the moderators are overworked, but a better understanding by all of us of what should be on this board would be a good thing.

I like this board the way it is. The CB has a lot of regular threads - followers of this and that - and I think topics like "Free Shipping at DMR" would get buried in a hurry. I think of the CB as more of pop-culture threads and I like the money-related topics here better. Thanks for letting us have a say!

I would like to see a sub-forum but not as a "community board" type thing. I would really like to see a separation of Disney/Vacation Budgeting and Family/Home/Life budgeting. I have seen so many threads that turn into "why are you coming to a budget board to ask about spending thousands on your Disney vacation?"

While I agree with your post, and I also came to the Budget Board looking for ways to plan Disney trips inexpensively, I don't know if there is enough material to sustain the budget board if it is limited to Disney discounts. Room discounts are discussed on the Codes and Rates Board, airfare on the Transportation Board, and ticket brokers on the Theme Parks Board. I like knowing I can get mister fans at Walmart for cheaper or knowing that the Disney Store is having a sale or free shipping. I also like knowing when Target clearance goes 75% off, even though it has nothing to do with my upcoming Disney trip. I'd hate to see those posts go away (and maybe you're not suggesting that they do), but I also don't want to see it morph into relationship advice or a credit/finance board with no Disney connection.

I do think consistent application of whatever rules are decided would be a good thing. I know the moderators are overworked, but a better understanding by all of us of what should be on this board would be a good thing.

:thumbsup2

i think there should be a sub-forum. i try and come to this forum to check out some deals, see how others save money, and see how they spend money. I understand that people feel comfortable and many are scared of change, but if you keep allowing this to be a place full of off topic topics then you should not call it the budget board.

also i am sure there are people who could help moderate, but people tend to moderate themselves. if you think you would have to mention the thread is OT, or "im not sure if this belongs here" then you know to put it in the sub forum. if your thread doesnt really have any numbers of any sort, then it probably doesnt belong in the budget board.

i know i can skip threads, but with so many off topics in this forum, i just stop reading and close the tab i have open for this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!