A question about renting DVC Points...

DisneyNewbie76

Earning My Ears
Forgive me if I put this in the wrong forum...How would one know if you are renting from a DVC member that bought from Disney or bought the Points via resale? Would it matter?

It shouldn't matter, the "perks" are only available to the owner of the points and whoever else is on the deed.

If they can book the room, it doesn't matter either way.

Doesn’t matter... the current restrictions are for owners (whether they can book a cruise, get member extras like access to magic nights, annual pass benefits, etc).

Forgive me if I put this in the wrong forum...How would one know if you are renting from a DVC member that bought from Disney or bought the Points via resale? Would it matter?
You could always look the owner's name up on the Ocean County comptroller's website to see if the contract was deeded directly to them from DVC or if they purchased it on the resale market from another owner. But as @Matty B13 said, what would be the purpose? Renters don't get to take advantage of Membership benefits. If the owner can book the reservation for you, that's all that matters.

Renting is largely a matter of trust. This is why the Rental services are popular. They help people get over the trust concern.

When you rent, the owner is trusting that you will pay. And you are trusting that they will book the reservation, and not cancel it before you arrive.
The owner will be able to give you a confirmation number. You can enter this confirmation number on My Disney Experience and verify that it is what you contracted for. And you can go on to make 6 month dining reservations and 60 day fastpass reservations.
There are some horror stories where the owner takes the money and does not provide the reservation. This can happen if the owner is behind on dues and Disney forecloses, for example. This is extremely rare.

Should not matter. I have successfully rented out my un used points numerous times. It requires a fair amount of trust from both parties. I provide a written contract in an effort to protect both of us.

You could always look the owner's name up on the Ocean County comptroller's website to see if the contract was deeded directly to them from DVC or if they purchased it on the resale market from another owner. But as @Matty B13 said, what would be the purpose? Renters don't get to take advantage of Membership benefits. If the owner can book the reservation for you, that's all that matters.
Looking up names in the Orange County Comptrollers website only works for resorts that are in Orange County, FL. Not Vero, not HHI, not GCV, not Aulani.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter