A question about discounts and hotel-only bookings

mkt

Earning My Ears
Hello all

A quick question: when there are % discounts, 3 for 2 discounts, etc., available on packages on the Disney site, are these usually available for hotel-only bookings as well (either direct from Disney or via Expedia, for example)? So if there's say 40% off for some dates including tickets on the Disney site, can I expect to get 40% off the room-only price for the same dates if I ring them or shop around?

I ask because I'm considering an Annual Passport - but I don't want to buy one and then realise that I would have saved more without one.

Many thanks!

In a word, no.
Generally speaking, AP room-only discounts with Disney are rubbish. Certainly in the last year they have not really offered good value, compared with packages of the same duration (and especially compared with what you can pay if you shop around for the offsite associated hotels through various agents). For example, last May I was looking at staying onsite, room only with our Dream APs, for 3 nights, midweek, low season. Disney's room-only quote with AP discount for those 3 nights at the Santa Fe was £388. I got a fantastic room, breakfast included, for both of us at the Magic Circus hotel, for less than half that price (£180 total), by booking through travelrepublic.

Expedia, at certain times of the year, do offer very good rates for the onsite hotels, which you can book through them for room only.

I have my second AP specifically because of the good rates on room-only through Expedia I got late last year, and will more than likely be going offsite in a 4-star hotel this coming trip, (including buying a new AP for my daughter) for less than half what it would cost to stay in a 2-star onsite property. Unless Disney come out with around a 50% discount on their brochure prices, I won't be looking at booking a package with them anytime soon.

Thanks very much for your help.

So, if I understand it right, my best bet is to buy an Annual Passport anyway (as we're planning on staying for four days and may return within 12 months) and shop around?

Yes, if you're intending on having 2 trips within 12 months, there are definite advantages to having APs, especially if you're not set on staying onsite.

Despite the woeful offers for room-only with APs from Disney themselves, I still think, for frequent returning guests, the combination of APs and shareholders club benefits are the best combination, to get the best value for money for your trip :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter