A Pirate Planning A Week At The Disney Beach Club Resort

Pirates Life Podcast

Earning My Ears
Hello there, obviously my first time posting a trip report or for that matter any type of report on these historic boards. With that, I have yet to give my POV on restaurants, attractions, gondolas, complain about Ohana's appetizers or post the obligatory sunburnt legs, lounge chair, frozen concoction, filtered picture with some random dad in the background tossing a kid in a pool. Oh but wait, it's coming.

Here's a bit of background of us lucky SOB's who are going on this trip back home. Disney Beach Club Resort June 3rd-9th + DDP. Going all out, squeezing the life out of life!

Rob (Me), Wife Maggie (The Warden), Mother Inlaw Barbara (Getting Younger Everyday), Uncle Michael (53), Daughter Julia (26), Julia's Partner - Kiri (27), Daughter Emma (23), Son Luke (20), Son Nicholas (10). Yes, when you stop laughing, gasping and doing the math. We had the bonus baby Nicholas.

So here is the kicker...we actually live in the real-life town of Saratoga Spring, NY. Does that give me extra credit for not knowing how to post pictures yet?

My wife (The Warden) and I were college sweethearts and have been married for 28 years. Although she claims it seems more like 58 years, but whatever!

Although she does have a point, I have spent most of our 28+ years traveling non-stop for The NFL and The Walt Disney Company putting footballs in kids hands around the world and spreading the magic. I will get into that later.

So yes, this old pirate is turning 52 in July of 2019 and as I type that number I'm thinking, boy it has been one heck of a journey! My wife has said since the day I met her (Spring 1986) that I have a bit of pirate blood in me. I guess it's the sense of adventure that has been the fuel to my life's fire. Never one for a normal 9-5 job, same coffee shop, same commute, same restaurant, same meal, the same thing week in and week out routine guy. She should have known then and ran far away!

Ok, so here is a bit more about the author which I hope paints a clear picture of this idiot and why this "Pirate Blood" dad has taken my family on one heck of a life adventure. I hope this trip is one of those special moments that will add to their life memory bank.

Early Story....

My three sisters and I certainly grew up in a Disney family. Our first family trip was in 1972, where a side trip meant Gatorland and mini golf. We would make the trek down from Connecticut all shoved in my dad's small company car, no Griswalds family truckster for us. We always drove until the first time flying down, I was in college.

From then on it was our families BIG trip every 4/5 years. Our parents would scrounge and save for years leading up to each trip and we brought everything with us so we didn't eat out. Very frugal. Life at the parks for us was bologna and cheese sandwiches wrapped in aluminum foil and fountain water. Mom would say, "If It can't be brought, it can't be bought."

To this day, we thank our parents for making all those sacrifices just to be able to afford to take us for that one week every few years. Amazing memories of the parks back then. It's funny how long the same smells stay with you all these years later. The popcorn machine as soon as you walk into the MK or the Poly hotel lobby and of course the smell of the POC ride.

There aren't many places in our lives as we get older that stay pretty much the same, especially the smells. Perhaps grandma's house, or your old High School gym and the Magic Kingdom. I think the emotional connection to those memories is a part of what binds this Disney community together.

As a young adult we were able to go more frequently with the family through High School and in college I was fortunate enough to have played a memorable college football game at the Citrus Bowl, where we spent a few days with my teammates and family running through the parks and then late night on Church Street Station. My first flight to Orlando.

Through the adult years of wine and food festivals, weekend trips, family vacations, there were so many memories bellied up to the Rose and Crown Pub. Particularly one amazing afternoon where we just happened to stumble into the pub at the same time the entire new entertainment cast from the Disney Wonder was singing their hearts out before their maiden voyage the next day. Apparently, the piano player (Forgot her name) was also one of their mentors and the director for many of the park live shows, which most were recruited from for the Wonder. This was their big send-off. What a legendary Disney experience.

Too many trips drinking around the world showcase to count or the nights entertaining clients during Illuminations dessert parties in Italy, Maccraco and UK. Lot's of wonderful times working with super talented cast members in all the business units across the WDC (Parks, Studios, Cruise, Radio Disney, Disney Channel, ESPN, ABC) an amazing time spent with the Disney Media Group bouncing between Burbank, Orlando and NYC offices. It's one thing to love the experiences at the parks, which never diminished, stacked on top of the massive gratitude for having spent a good portion of my career at the mouse house, is certainly special and I'm forever thankful.

Now, we are returning to the Disney Beach Club with all the family in tow. It's bittersweet as it's also the resort we spent two weeks on our honeymoon and you never forget the beautiful smell of the DBC lobby.

Needless to say, lots of history and memories.

Last edited:
Count me in on this trip. Quite the Resume you have... We leave in 11 days so I am on here often right now. Can't wait to see your next update. And if you are having trouble with pic's I just use the snip it tool, and copy paste. It works. And you don't have to use photobucket or any other photo service.

Count me in on this trip. Quite the Resume you have... We leave in 11 days so I am on here often right now. Can't wait to see your next update. And if you are having trouble with pic's I just use the snip it tool, and copy paste. It works. And you don't have to use photobucket or any other photo service.
Awesome thanks for coming along on our crazy journey. Thanks for the tip on snip it. Have a magical trip!

Trip Planning...

Disney Beach Club: Monday June 3rd-Sunday June 9th

With this group of Maggie and I + 4 kids + 2 inlaws coming from several different locations, there are some logistics that needed to be coordinated to have us all converge on WDW the same week.

Barb (Mother in law) lives an hour north of WDW at the massive retirement community called "The Villages" where I like to say they built the wall to keep 150,000 seniors from escaping! We may have to disguise her and tell her we are taking her on a cruise, not a big park fan. Still working on it.

Uncle Michael (Maggie's Brother) will be flying in from Hartford on Sat June 1st and only staying until Wednesday, June 5th, as he owns a popular Hair Salon in CT and his clients, would hunt him down for their cut and color like a scene from Game of Thrones. BTW, Uncle Michael has been our family travel buddy for 25+ years. Like us a Huge fan of WDW.

Julia and Kiri are driving in from Georgia on Thursday, June 6th and staying until Sunday, June 9th. Julia graduated from SCAD in Savanah, fell in love with the South and Kiri. They have a digital marketing agency in Macon, Kiri's hometown.

Emma lives with her boyfriend Ben in Saratoga Springs, he is not making the trip as he coaches baseball and they will be in the midst of their season. Emma went to college at F.I.T in NYC and works in property management. She is flying solo from Albany, NY on Wednesday, June 5th at 5am, which is a savage Diznoid move not wanting to waste a minute, not in the parks. She is also staying through Sunday.

We have two rooms at the DBC, so Barb and Uncle Michael will share room #2 from Monday-Wednesday which Barb will then drive back to The Villages State Penitentiary Wednesday after dinner and Uncle Michale will fly back that evening to reclaim his hair throne.

Emma, Julia, and Kiri will share Room#2 from Wednesday - Sunday.

Poor Maggie has us three nit whit men all week as her roommates. We are slightly terrified.

Luke, Nicholas, Maggie and I will be flying out of Albany Saturday, June 1st at 5 pm. Mag's also a hair stylist has her own legend of hair mavens she needs to attend to on Sat before she is allowed to leave the area so it's a night flight for us.

Luke who is a college Sophmore, plays football at the University of Albany where he might be the only college football player on record that watches nothing other than Disney films and game films. As you can image Nicholas idolizes his older brother so these two will be joined at the hip all week as well as tag-team harassing their sisters and the warden. Should be interesting.

Maggie's use of a Beach Club Lobby scented candle burning daily in the house is an indication that no place on earth besides our home is she at her happiest as when she is at the DBC. Can't blame her and as they say "Happy Wife Happy Life". At least for a week!

Since we are flying in on Saturday night June 1st, we plan to rent a car and spend a few days at Barbs eating Lasagna, stunt driving her golf cart and then breaking her out for a few days at the happiest place south of the Villages.

ADR:

Since everyone has their own agenda and top 10 things they would like to do, I only planned dinner ADR's. So we agreed to do whatever you want to do during the day, but let's plan to have cocktails and dinner together at night.

Each restaurant booked has special meaning to us as a family and I also tried to match up the ADR's times to roll into fireworks and EMH's plus who will be in town which days I tried to plan out something for everyone. California Grill is my all time favorite restaurant EVER, so I bookended the trip meals there with seating times for MK fireworks. (I do miss Wishes).

Monday: California Grill
Tuesday: La Hacienda
Wednesday: Citricos
Thursday: Cape May Cafe
Friday: Hoop-Dee-Doo-Revue
Saturday: California Grill
Sunday Brunch: Boma

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter