A park in search of a maintenance budget

cenoxx

Earning My Ears
We just returned from DLP, 23-27 April, stayed Seqoia Lodge.

I've never seen so many 'out of order' signs on rest rooms, on minor attractions etc. They need to double the maintenance budget.

We had pirates of the caribbean closed on the last day due to 'technical problems' (it was fine the previous evening for extra magic hours). The backlot tour was closed due to technical problems when the park opened. When we went back later, we had our tram taken out of service on the backlot tour before we even boarded due to 'technical problems'. The new tram had a faulty monitor so we missed out on the narration.

The aircon in the hotel mysteriously did not operate before 10pm, turned itself on, then stopped after 9am. Even when running it seemed to be having no effect - disappointing given the mini heatwave.

As recorded elsewhere, the Studio Park is not worth much time, although our 3 year old did enjoy the magic carpet ride...we rode it about ten times with no queue since nobody was heading that way as it looks more like a building site than a route to a ride (two new rides being built down that way).

We played it smart, did about an hour and a half each morning then bailed to the village for lunch, back to the hotel for the pool, then back to the park for another hour and a half in the late afternoon. We avoided sunstroke and queues and enjoyed it generally, with the cast members being almost universally pleasant. The one exception to this was Cafe Mickey. The service was slow, the food poor, and the experience terrible for all the adults. The only reason to eat there is the plethora of characters which my 3 year old loved.

Best 3 :

Flying Carpets...forget 45 min queue for dumbo, go to the studios.
The buffet at billy bob's on the 3rd floor - people miss it/don't understand its there. Good food, quiet, very nice
Breakfast in the park - nice touch for free, plus a headstart on the crowds if you go to Fantasyland (bella note seemed very quiet)

Worst 3 :

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. Broken things are Bad, Mr. Disney.
Studios - even the new rides will not make it worth a full day. The studio should be pulling some of the crowd from Magic Kingdom.
Air con that doesn't work - This one just had me dumbstruck.

Cen.

Hi cenoxx and welcome to DLP DIS board :wave2:
We are a friendly bunch here so please join in on any other thread or if you have a number of questions then just start a new thread for each :goodvibes

If you have not had a look yet, posting guidelines can be found here and details regarding help on signatures here

Thanks for your review. Shame that you were disappointed :)

The aircon in the hotel mysteriously did not operate before 10pm said:
I know it sounds a bit shocking hearing the word 'heatwave' in April but cenoxx is right!...when we went from the 11th - 14th april the weather forecast said max of 22°C for the 12th and 13th but it was actually around 24°C for the 12th and 27°C for the 13th with the 11th and 14th being around 21°C.

aww no :( gutted to hear you werent happy with Cafe Mickey,we plan to dine there in July

As recorded elsewhere, the Studio Park is not worth much time, although our 3 year old did enjoy the magic carpet ride...we rode it about ten times with no queue since nobody was heading that way as it looks more like a building site than a route to a ride (two new rides being built down that way).

Studios - even the new rides will not make it worth a full day. The studio should be pulling some of the crowd from Magic Kingdom.

Cen.

Sorry you didnt enjoy your trip. Unfortunately rides do breakdown. Disney have an excellent safety reputation and Im sure we would all rather they stopped a ride for a few hours to fix even a minor fault than allow it to run causing danger to guests.

To reply to your comment about Studios I would disagree. OK there are probably less rides there which appeal to young children but there are lots of shows. Cinemagique, Animagique and Stunt Show are all excellent and appeal to all ages. The parade is also good and it is the best place for meet and greet. Lots of people have reported on the board about very short queues to meet Mickey etc compared to trying to do this in main park.

Another advantage is a lot of these are undercover which is good in bad weather and also heatwaves (which we also experienced in April)

Did you report your problem with the air con?

:cheer2: :cheer2:

Each family tours differently and you're probably right to take a young kid back to the hotel for pool and a nap, I know i'd enjoy that! :thumbsup2

Shame about the rides but it sometimes happens. I hope the next time you visit you'll get to try the rides you missed...plus the Studios are getting some new rides this year so its definitely worth a visit back again at some point!

And Welcome to Disboards, hope you like it here :)

The Studios looked AWFUL when we went in February - not much more than a building site. I had my sister with us for her first trip and I was cringing, imagining what it must look like to her eyes. I know that great things are coming and the building is necessary but it looked so dull and claustrophobic. To top it all the tram tours broke down and we had to miss Catastrophe Canyon and RnR Coaster was broken as well. I kept telling my sister how good it normally was and took her to Cinemagique, Animagique and the Stunt Show, by which time RnR Coaster was working AND Push the litter bin came and talked to us so the day in Studios wasn't the disaster I feared.;)

After having several stays in WDW in August :eek: 27 sounds downright chilly:goodvibes

I can understand that it was not expected in April, at least when I book Orlando for August, I know what I'm getting myself into.

Average temperature was around 27 degrees, starting early and lasting well in to the evening.

A 3 year old can only take so much before they flag. Leaving the park was the logical and correct thing to do unless you love heatstroke and queues for indifferent food.

I agree with the quoted comments (see my 'sceptic' thread). I was there also last week and by lunchtime on day 1 were frazzled and realised that a stroller at 7.50€ is a life saver...

Reading theads like this make me realise how easy we have it holidaying in DLRP just the two of us. We plan to have children but I think visits to DLRP will have to be done differently. I sometimes look at the length of people's stays and think that's too long but with children things obviously take longer - we'll learn that when we have kids no doubt.

Sorry you didn't have as good a time as maybe you'd hoped. We keep meaning to visit the Billy Bob's buffet - what was the food choice?

Reading theads like this make me realise how easy we have it holidaying in DLRP just the two of us. We plan to have children but I think visits to DLRP will have to be done differently. I sometimes look at the length of people's stays and think that's too long but with children things obviously take longer - we'll learn that when we have kids no doubt.

Don't worry though the trips are just as enjoyable with the troops in tow :goodvibes

Sorry you didn't have as good a time as maybe you'd hoped. We keep meaning to visit the Billy Bob's buffet - what was the food choice?

They have two separate areas next to each other - one buffet with the usual staples for kids, then the main buffet for adults. There's a salad selection, ribs, hot wings, spicy chicken, carved ham and beef, corn on the cob, dauphinoise potatatoes, sausages...it's pretty good with a solid selection of desserts too. Plus, if you get in there when it opens at 6pm, you'll probably be alone for maybe 30-45 minutes and the staff are that much more relaxed. When we went, the 'greeter' lady took my 3 year old by the hand and showed us to the table, commenting to the other servers about her new 'boyfriend', the 'young james bond' ! One of them even found a buffalo bill hat from the show and gave it to him. Maybe they don't get many kids up there (it really is hidden on the third floor above the bar area) but we enjoy it every time. I can't comment on what it's like when it's really busy, we only ever went there at opening time.

Cen.

Plus, if you get in there when it opens at 6pm, you'll probably be alone for maybe 30-45 minutes and the staff are that much more relaxed. When we went, the 'greeter' lady took my 3 year old by the hand and showed us to the table, commenting to the other servers about her new 'boyfriend', the 'young james bond' !

What a lovely CM. Definitely need to give this place a try on our next trip :)

We had 3 days, and DD & DW didnt even see Adventureland. The strollers are a lifesaver, but I left them one morning to do the meet n greets while I rushed around and did POTC, BTM, PM, IJ, BL etc

Billy Bob's buffet - what was the food choice?
Starters... pasta & salads (good selection)
Mains... 2 or 3 texmex, and a couple of carvary meats then assorted veg n pasta.
Desserts... good selection of cakes
Cheese.... better than good selection
Kids... various starters n desserts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter