A Night at the Grand Californian

shannonkay

Disneylandrian
Let me preface my report by explaining that I live about 10 minutes from Disneyland and I have an Annual Pass. I'm also a former cast member and my sister is a current cast member.

I love Disneyland and go there often, but obviously we don't need to stay at the hotels because we live in the area. So I've never had a "Disney Vacation". We also never took real vacations growing up. If we went anywhere it was to visit family in the midwest, or it was a day trip. The first time I stayed in one of the hotels at the resort was the night of my wedding almost four years ago when we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel.

My husband and I were feeling desperate for some alone time. With his birthday coming up this week, we decided to stay the night at the Grand Californian.

We left our toddler with Gramma and went to have dinner and some alone time for the evening. We were going to do Blue Bayou but opted not to. We had a great date night, then went home to pick up our daughter to spend the night with us back at the hotel. It was so much fun, we let her walk around the hotel grounds a bit and showed her our room, then we went through the downtown disney entrance and got smoothies at Jamba Juice, which was so close to the hotel entrance(And they give a 10% AP discount!). We were able to just enjoy the room, watch the olympics and in the morning we got a room service breakfast. I think it was definitely worth the experience even though we live here.

IMG_3879.jpg by prettygeek, on Flickr

We spent a little time in DCA, rode Little Mermaid and such, but this is where we got the best of both worlds because we left at about 2pm and our 16mo Guinevere was asleep before we were even off of Disneyland Drive. She napped for 2 hours when we got home!

But this little overnight "trip" has kind of opened my eyes to something I'd never experienced. When we walked from the hotel right into Downtown Disney, my husband said "Downtown Disney is the best downtown there is!" And then it hit me. That's what Downtown Disney is for! In June we went to San Francisco for a conference and we stayed at a hotel that was "downtown" but we didn't feel too comfortable walking around and it was not stroller friendly at all. Downtown Disney is like the "downtown" you would experience living in a city, but Disneyfied. I didn't really get that before, as a local. It just seemed like a Disney adjacent mall(and it is).

This really made me want to experience this "on the premises" type vacation again, so much that I'm going to start planning a trip to Disney World in Florida, something I've never cared that much about before. But I really want to get that "resort" experience and I'd like to do it somewhere I don't actually live. I didn't appreciate until now how different the local experience is to the "resort guest" experience. Don't take it the wrong way, I LOVE being a local. But I want to get that other experience too.

I just wanted to chime in for a minute and say that I'm glad you posted because we don't get enough viewpoints/Trip Reports from people on this board who are locals but who also stay onsite at one of the Disney hotels. Then, to top it off, you are also a former CM so you have that perspective too!

While I don't live nearly as close to DLR as you do (you said you're about 10 minutes away; I'm up in the Beverly Hills/Miracle Mile area of town, so I'm about 40-45 minutes away with no traffic), people still find it odd that I would be staying onsite at Disneyland when I live fairly "close."

But it's just...different, somehow. Yes, there have been times when I've gone home at the end of the night (after a day trip) and not stayed in a hotel, but it truly feels more 'vacation-esque' to me - more of an escape - if there is a Disney hotel involved. It enhances the experience in a way that only some folks will understand. When I'm in the room, I appreciate it and enjoy it. I relax in the room, I watch TV, I look for hidden Mickeys in the bedspreads and shower curtains, I enjoy the view from the window, etc. I just like going to sleep and waking up on Disney property. The whole trip feels much more immersive to me if I am also staying onsite.

As for Downtown Disney, I agree about that too! It is the best Downtown there is! Much nicer and cleaner than other Downtowns I've seen. I think that Downtown Disney - especially during the holiday season, when Christmas music is playing and everything is festive - really serves as a great way to get people in the mood for entering the parks. It's a nice little connecting path between the parks and the Grand Californian and the Disneyland Hotel.

I just wanted to chime in for a minute and say that I'm glad you posted because we don't get enough viewpoints/Trip Reports from people on this board who are locals but who also stay onsite at one of the Disney hotels. Then, to top it off, you are also a former CM so you have that perspective too!

While I don't live nearly as close to DLR as you do (you said you're about 10 minutes away; I'm up in the Beverly Hills/Miracle Mile area of town, so I'm about 40-45 minutes away with no traffic), people still find it odd that I would be staying onsite at Disneyland when I live fairly "close."

But it's just...different, somehow. Yes, there have been times when I've gone home at the end of the night (after a day trip) and not stayed in a hotel, but it truly feels more 'vacation-esque' to me - more of an escape - if there is a Disney hotel involved. It enhances the experience in a way that only some folks will understand. When I'm in the room, I appreciate it and enjoy it. I relax in the room, I watch TV, I look for hidden Mickeys in the bedspreads and shower curtains, I enjoy the view from the window, etc. I just like going to sleep and waking up on Disney property. The whole trip feels much more immersive to me if I am also staying onsite.

As for Downtown Disney, I agree about that too! It is the best Downtown there is! Much nicer and cleaner than other Downtowns I've seen. I think that Downtown Disney - especially during the holiday season, when Christmas music is playing and everything is festive - really serves as a great way to get people in the mood for entering the parks. It's a nice little connecting path between the parks and the Grand Californian and the Disneyland Hotel.

Thank you! I'm glad someone understands what I am talking about. Just because you're close to home, that doesn't mean you can't get that more "vacationesque" experience sometimes.

Thank you! I'm glad someone understands what I am talking about. Just because you're close to home, that doesn't mean you can't get that more "vacationesque" experience sometimes.

Hey, I get it! I live in Long Beach and I actually bought a DVC timeshare at the Grand Cal! It's worked out for some great staycations in the last couple years. Especially with the health issues that we've been having, flying to Florida hasn't been an option so it's nice to go out there and pretend, we're not just a few miles from home!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter