A new "Day Six" waterpark option for Disneyland visitors

DLgal

DIS Veteran
Wasn't sure where to post this, but figured here is a good start.

There is now a new water park just 15 miles south of DLR.

Wild Rivers waterpark has finally opened in Irvine! Some of you may remember the original Wild Rivers which was sadly closed in 2012. Well, it's back and I have to say, after having visited twice, it's SO MUCH BETTER than the original!

Our family is lucky enough to live just under 2 miles from this awesome new water park, so we purchased season passes last fall when they went on sale. So far, we have been twice and are going again this afternoon.

The park has been in a sort of "soft open" mode since July 10 while they finished up some slides and stuff. They are still working on a few things like the food service locations and bar, and one kiddie slide area is still under construction, but the Grand Opening is this Wednesday the 27th and by that date, the park is expected to be 95% complete. From my experience, if your kids are taller than 42", the park is worth the admission price for sure. It's not quite ready yet for the smallest kids, since their slide pool won't be open until likely next season.

That said, this park is clean, well run, has cool live entertainment (singers/bands play live music), and has a lot of fun attractions. The staff are all super friendly and helpful and our experiences so far have been really great (especially on uncrowded weekdays).

There are 4 family raft rides, 5 double innertube slides, racer mat slides, 4 "cannonball" style slides with drops into a deep pool, 2 body slides, a wave pool, lazy river, and huge play structure with additional 5 slides and dump bucket. The park is small in footprint which makes it easy to navigate. There is plenty of comfortable seating located around the park, and also cabanas available for rent.

There is food available while they finish up the official food venues, and it's good, but some of it is VERY overpriced (my one criticism so far). $7 for a frozen treat is even higher than Disney charges. So, be ready for that.

Admission is $65, which is a bit high compared to Soak City ($48) but from my experience, Wild Rivers is a superior product. Knotts has a larger wave pool and lazy river, but Wild Rivers has better slides and caps attendance to keep waits reasonable. It's a great way to spend an extra day in the area. Since it opened, my kids haven't even asked to go to Disneyland. They just want to go there every day. 😆

Here are some photos.

20220720_114047.jpgIMG-20220717-WA0029.jpgIMG-20220717-WA0021.jpgIMG-20220717-WA0008.jpgIMG-20220717-WA0006.jpgIMG-20220717-WA0017.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20220717-WA0032.jpg
    IMG-20220717-WA0032.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Nice! I still remember the old one near Irvine Amphitheater, good to know it's back!

This one is near the NEW Irvine Amphitheater. Well, now its called the Five Point Amphitheater. They relocated to the other side of I-5.

Interestingly, Wild Rivers is built on part of the old El Toro Marine Corps Air Station. The buildings and some ride names play homage to that history (Tomcat Racers, Mustang Bar), and some attractions are right up against old hangars that are currently being demoed/cleaned up by the US Navy. It's kind of a trip that it's a water park now.

This one is near the NEW Irvine Amphitheater. Well, now its called the Five Point Amphitheater. They relocated to the other side of I-5.

Interestingly, Wild Rivers is built on part of the old El Toro Marine Corps Air Station. The buildings and some ride names play homage to that history (Tomcat Racers, Mustang Bar), and some attractions are right up against old hangars that are currently being demoed/cleaned up by the US Navy. It's kind of a trip that it's a water park now.

Oh hey that's cool -- I still remember my old urban design professor telling us stories of the safari park that predated the old Wild Rivers site (specifically: the Bubbles the Hippo incident).

I will say, I'm gonna miss seeing the telltale runways of El Toro from the air, as they slowly get chewed up by development.

Oh hey that's cool -- I still remember my old urban design professor telling us stories of the safari park that predated the old Wild Rivers site (specifically: the Bubbles the Hippo incident).

I will say, I'm gonna miss seeing the telltale runways of El Toro from the air, as they slowly get chewed up by development.
Lion Country Safari!! I remember going there as a little girl. Glad to hear SoCal got another waterpark. Maybe they'll start including it in those bundle packages for activities.

PHXscuba

Yeah, it's a bit weird that they are building right over the old runways. My kids high school is really close to the old air traffic control tower, which is staying as a historical landmark.

I snapped this photo the other day from the stairs for one pair of family raft rides. It is such a strange juxtaposition of old and new.

20220720_142010.jpg

@DLgal if you happen to remember, please post good areas for the cabanas. I noticed a lot of different choices online, but have no idea where they would be located. I'm not immediately planning on visiting, but would like to know in case we're able to get there before the season ends.

@DLgal if you happen to remember, please post good areas for the cabanas. I noticed a lot of different choices online, but have no idea where they would be located. I'm not immediately planning on visiting, but would like to know in case we're able to get there before the season ends.

I wouldn't get a cabana. It's really not necessary and they still don't have the restaurant and bar open so you lose the value of having food/drinks delivered. Right now, all you get for your several hundreds of dollars is a tent with no ventilation (in most cabana sections).

There is PLENTY of shaded seating available near the wave pool, and the chairs are comfy (they are low slung mesh chairs). Get there close to opening time and you will have no problem finding seats. We like the area to the far right or far left when facing the wave pool.

My best advice is to go on a WEEKDAY. It is a much more enjoyable experience compared to a weekend. The weekends are absolutely mobbed.

They are only open daily for the next 2 weeks and then they go to weekends only, so if you are going to go, do it soon!

But to answer your question, if you HAVE to get a cabana, the best area is River Green. It's quiet and those are the only cabanas that open up in the back for ventilation. The best section near the wave pool is Wave Pool Red. This link might help.

https://wildrivers.com/cabanas/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter