A much needed Disney weekend - Day 2, part 1

PrincessMira

Mouseketeer
DAY 2 part 1

Since it is Saturday and we are at the DLH, today is EE day! We love EE days. I’m convinced it is the best way to enjoy the park, granted DS is 4, so we spend most of our time in Fantasyland.

We are up bright and early at 6:00. Well DH is up, but DS and I are still sleepy. Normally DS is bouncing off the walls at 6:00 a.m. :bounce: (he is one of *those* kids that never seems to need to sleep – but alas at Disney he DOES get tired). I asked for a 6:30 wake up call, but missed it as I was in the shower at the time. DH and DS didn’t seem nearly as excited as I about Mickey calling. Oh well. No points given or taken away for planning for me.

I read on the DIS about Whitewater Snacks for breakfast, so we headed down for the walk through a deserted DTD. As it was around 7, we ran into a few CM’s on their way to work. I have to say the CMs this trip were all wonderful. Previous times, while not having a bad experience – we never seemed to have an overly nice CM either. Not this trip – everyone smiled and made conversation it was just great. We made it to Whitewater Snacks and the DIS is correct once again. :disrocks: We got the breakfast burritos that were nice and filling. At least one meal didn’t break the bank.

Now we were off to wait in line. While we are usually the early birds outside of Disney – somehow we just don’t manage to be first at DLR. That’s ok, we were probably 10 or so back. I enjoy chatting with the people in line and looking at the kids all excited. It is what standing in line should be. Well, little did I know (as we’ve never been this close), but the first (of course) 10 people got their tickets all checked before the countdown….so when the crowd hit 3..2..1..they could go right in and the rest of us needed to wait to have our ticket checked. How cool is that?! Ok, now I really have an incentive to get up and going early for next time. They didn’t get much of a head start, but the idea of those handful of people in each line walking in at the ‘1’ seems pretty fun. I think I have a better chance being apart of this group than the family that gets open the park, that’s for sure.

We are off, I love Main Street on EE days when you feel like you have it to yourself. DS has this great ability to spot a Princess as they are coming out to their post for pictures/autographs, etc. We’ve never really had to wait in line for a Princess, other characters – yes, but Princesses – nope. He practically tackled Snow White last trip as she was walking to the castle. Today, he spotted Cinderella. She waved to him and he looked to us to get the ok to run over and talk to her. She chatted with him for a while, asked about his Lightning McQueen shoes and watch (that will be a recurring theme) then posed for a picture. Of course, we turn around and now there is a line forming. But Cinderella picks right up and proceeds to her assigned place. As we are all kind of walking in the same direction she asks DS where he is going. He smiles and says “The Castle” like where else would I go? :lmao:

47b6d733b3127cce8c9d12dd8f5f00000016108AbsmzZs5cst

listening closely to Cinderella

I wanted to go on Peter Pan so I start chatting up DS on Captain Hook etc. He sees the ship they have outside for pictures and seems ok. Hmmm, that is until he gets to the front of the line and sees it is a dark ride. :eek: Then it is a no-go and he couldn’t get out of there fast enough. Ut-oh. Maybe the Buzz ride the night before didn’t wash away all the BTMRR drama. No biggie, Dumbo is right in front of us with a small line ‘Let’s Go!’ The golden Dumbo is gone so DH & DS had to search for one with a purple hat as that is DS’s favorite color. Once the ride is done, DS is back in good spirits so we head off to the teacups. I love this ride and am beyond excited to see a Mother and Daughter riding it all by themselves…how cool is that? We might get to have the teacups to ourselves – that seems like something that would rarely happen. But the mother-daughter stuck around for another ride…can’t blame them, I would’ve too. DS lets me spin the cups around…yeah.

Off to Buzz for DS and I and Space Mountain for DH. DH agrees with the majority that SM is better at DL than WDW. So we split up to conquer Buzz one more time. I’m happy to report I finally made it to L-4! :woohoo: We meet up with DH and DS sees C3PO at Star Tours. We happily peer in from a distance as I know DS wouldn’t like this ride. A CM comes over and starts chatting. Asks if DS would like to get a little closer and talk to C3PO. Really? I don’t think DH & DS even paused for a second. :thanks:

Then DS spots the Astro Orbitor in the air. Now on a previous trip he made it to the front of the line before deciding it went too high. This time we ask repeatedly and DS assures us he wants on. Ok here we go. Except not. DS climbs in and is just about to be buckled and decides that’s enough. So you’d think he would get off and be telling me he was scared, nope. He got off excited that he was brave enough to even get in the rocket. Oh my. Thank you to the CM’s noticing and waiting a second to let him get off vs. having him ride and be upset. I'm sure that saved us from more drama.

By now, we are thinking lets get over to the rope drop for Adventureland to run to Pirates. DH wants to see the DL version to compare to WDW. I want to see it too but DS doesn’t seem like he quite his normal self – I should’ve known. The mad dash was fun but just as we turned the corner the line is already to the Rivers of America. What was I thinking? :confused3 Why didn’t we line up at Fronterland? Next time, I promise. Anyway, we run right up to the door again and with one look at the boats in the dark water, DS bolts backward. So I’m off to explore New Orleans Square with DS while DH rides. DS ends up loving the POTCC store, running from the fake swords to the fake jewels. We end up walking all around, peeking in stores. It was pretty nice exploring – although not a ride, it was still time in DLR and that is not time spent stressing over work.

DH gets done and makes all the comments I’ve read on these boards about the differences. He notes he saw BB from the boat and thinks many of the tables have nice views. We shall see, I’m not so positive. But our reservations aren’t until 5:30 p.m. So now we decide to head over to CA. I want to go on Monsters Inc. and DS needs to see Lightning McQueen and Mater.

Part 2 of Day 2 to follow in another day or so…I need to go to work to pay for next DLR trip. :surfweb:

A much needed Disney weekend - Day 1
A much needed Disney weekend - Day 2, part 1
A much needed Disney weekend - Day 2, part 2
A much needed Disney weekend - Last part

Enjoying your report so much. Looking forward to more. I do have one question? Has your husband been to DL before or was this his first trip?? Thanks! :tinker:

tinkermell said:
Enjoying your report so much. Looking forward to more. I do have one question? Has your husband been to DL before or was this his first trip?? Thanks! :tinker:

Glad to hear you are enjoying the TR. I love to read other's TR. It is such a nice way to still have some Disney magic in-between trips.

Ah my husband...this wasn't his first trip. Actually, it is our 3rd trip this year. The first trip was last Thanksgiving, nicely planned by moi via the DIS. We had a great time, even enjoying the crowds. But funny enough DH never really made any comments about loving it, so I figured we would be waiting a while to come back or just be saving for a WDW trip.

Little did I know, he DID get some pixie dust on him! Last April, he called me up on a Friday morning from work saying we needed to get away for the weekend. 'How about Disney?' WHAT???!!! so we jumped in the minivan and headed to CA. A little Mickey just makes work stress melt away.

But that trip led to me to planning this one, as paying for April's tickets had my coupon/discount brain in overdrive. Eeek! if we had only bought AP's at Thanksgiving, think of the $$ we could of saved. Oh well. I promptly showed DH the math of AP's and he agreed next time we should buy them. Well, that was good enough for me...I started planning 'next time' right then.:cool1:

Stupid me. If I would have looked by your signature I would have seen you had been to DL before. Now for my next one. How does he compare the WDW to DL?? Thanks, and maybe I'm opening a can of worms?? :rolleyes1 :tinker:

tinkermell said:
Stupid me. If I would have looked by your signature I would have seen you had been to DL before. Now for my next one. How does he compare the WDW to DL?? Thanks, and maybe I'm opening a can of worms?? :rolleyes1 :tinker:

I point blank asked him this morning. He didn't even hesitate to say WDW is his preference but noted they are two totally different experiences. Which is so true.

But DLR is only a road trip away and therefore less $$$...so I'm all over it.

He's makes a point to ride Space Mountain everytime we go. So I think it is fair to say he agrees with the majority that it is a better ride at DL. He's made similar comments about Small World too.

He did raise his eyebrows, I believe, the first time we walked down Main Street when he saw the castle. But DL is the original and you can't beat the original!!

now if only the food options could get better at DLR......

PrincessMira said:
I point blank asked him this morning. He didn't even hesitate to say WDW is his preference but noted they are two totally different experiences. Which is so true.

But DLR is only a road trip away and therefore less $$$...so I'm all over it.

He's makes a point to ride Space Mountain everytime we go. So I think it is fair to say he agrees with the majority that it is a better ride at DL. He's made similar comments about Small World too.

He did raise his eyebrows, I believe, the first time we walked down Main Street when he saw the castle. But DL is the original and you can't beat the original!!

now if only the food options could get better at DLR......
I'd have to agree on the food part. My family of 10 went for the first time to WDW last Dec. and we went on the dining plan. Everynight we ate like queens and kings. Yum! I'd go back just to eat like that again! Thanks to the DIS we had good info on where to go. Back to preferences. We all decided that we liked DL better than MK, because it is more intimate, something always just around the corner, and it does have alot of rides. The MK seemed so open. It was beautiful, just not cozylike. It's probably in what you get used to, don't you think?? Just like alot of people like the castle at the MK, but I never even gave that a thought. Anyways, both parks are great and each have their uniquenesses. :tinker:

MirandaPen said:
What did you think was better at WDW? I have never been there.

I think it is a totally different kind of vacation. WDW is so large that it needs many days to see it all (or most of it). IMO I don't think it has the 'Walt' touch. But I think everyone should try to go at least once...it is quite something to see.

To be a little more specific :) I like the variety of Disney hotel choices, the food options and additional parks besides the MK.

PrincessMira said:
I think it is a totally different kind of vacation. WDW is so large that it needs many days to see it all (or most of it). IMO I don't think it has the 'Walt' touch. But I think everyone should try to go at least once...it is quite something to see.

To be a little more specific :) I like the variety of Disney hotel choices, the food options and additional parks besides the MK.
I agree with you PrincessMira. :tinker:

I want to go to WDW as soon as my 2 year old can handle the flight. He cann't even sit through dinner as it is now. What would be the best age to go? I also have a 6 year old; I don't want to waste too many years waiting.

MirandaPen said:
I want to go to WDW as soon as my 2 year old can handle the flight. He cann't even sit through dinner as it is now. What would be the best age to go? I also have a 6 year old; I don't want to waste too many years waiting.

I'm sure you will get a variety of answers on this board. I'm not sure there is a perfect age, as the look on a toddler's face is just as amazing as a pre-teen squealing on a ride when Disney is involved.

WDW has a good transportation system so you can go back to the hotel for mid-afternoon naps while they are still young. Hopefully your 2 yr old is good in strollers (unlike my son) that will help a lot since WDW is larger.

Sorry for the wishy-washy answer. If it was me, I'd probably wait until your youngest is tall enough for the majority of rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter