A mouse, an owl, and a turtle go on vacation…-We are in Florida!

Got an email from the Hard Rock Hotel about our upcoming stay. :cool1:

They did include the concierge email. I wrote to them, asking about the laundry facilities. I haven't received a reply yet, but, as I don't usually think of concierge guests doing their own laundry on vacation, I may be asking the wrong people. :rotfl2:

No reply from concierge, but I did find some pictures of the HRH laundry. Looks like they take cash and cards, and they also have that app (that I think Disney has/is getting?) where you can get a text when your cycle is done. Cool

We bought our AAA travel Visa cards today. We use them for food (our own prepaid dining plan).

Got an email from the Doubletree about our upcoming stay. :goodvibes Just trying to finish up last minute things, like planning the meals so that the fresh food runs out when we leave.

The dog and the cat are getting dropped off for boarding tomorrow, and they are acting pretty sad and sorry now that the suitcases are out.

Everyone is packing. I am almost caught up with laundry.

We will be on the road in less than 36 hours! :cool1:

We are in Florida! We spent the past 2 days with our friends, and we had a great time. We went to DTD for a few hours, and now we've checked in to the Doubletree across from Universal. We are going to eat our hotel tonight, and I've already scoped out the Starbucks for tomorrow AM. :cool1: iOA, here we come!

First Day

We did as much as we could the night before, in order that we could get up really early to drive over halfway the first day. When it was just the two of us, DH and I could make the trip in 2 days. The first time we drove with children, it took 3 FULL days. Now we are back to 2 days. This first day was the “day of bugs”. I actually managed to A) have nearly everything packed the night before and B) not overpack. Yay me! All we needed to do at 3:30 was load up the minivan and go. Unfortunately, the interior lights of the van attracted some weird flying insects. DD 11 has a HORRIBLE fear of bugs. This is not due to any sort of childhood trauma; it just is. Also unfortunately, her fear is manifested in lots of hysterics and histrionics. After much screaming and crying by DD and some cursing from DH, we shooed the bugs out and were on our way.

Our normal plan is to leave by 4 AM and get about 20 miles down the road before we stop for breakfast at McDonalds. This was the first of several dining “adventures”. When we pulled up to our usual McDonalds, the lights were out (at a 24 hour restaurant). An employee helpfully informed us that the freezer was broken. So we got back on the road.

Luckily, exits (and McDonalds) are plentiful in that part of the trip. We continued on down the interstate to the next McDonalds, and got our breakfast. We continued through Illinois and made it to the Kentucky welcome center by lunchtime.

Another tradition for our summer driving trips is packing a picnic lunch to eat at a rest stop on the first day. We have stopped at the Kentucky welcome center in Paducah before, and it is lovely.

The problem was that this year we stopped at a major cicada hatching time. DD's fear of bugs kicked in, and she refused to sit outside to eat. DH was not comfortable leaving her in the car with the engine and AC running, so we all ate our lunch in the car and continued down the road.

We stayed just north of Montgomery that night. The Holiday Inn Express was new and had many outlets and USB ports.

Last edited:
Day 2

After a hot hotel breakfast (love the breakfast-included hotel chains!), we were back on the road. We stopped for lunch at Chick-fil-A in Dothan, AL. This is another driving to Florida tradition. Since we now have one of these in our town, it isn’t quite as special, but still a tradition.::yes::

After lunch, we crossed into Florida:

I am not the best photographer with my iPad.:sad2:

We made it to our friends' house in time for dinner.

Day 3

Our friends (especially the husband half) are very interested in local history. He took us to a local nature preserve/Native American historical site. We spent some time in the museum first.

Then we ventured outside to walk the grounds and climb the steps of the mound. While we are planning on retiring on the Atlantic side, the Gulf side is really pretty. There is a good reason this section is called the Nature Coast.

While we were coming back, I got an email that we could check into our hotel outside of Universal. This was the first time I used the Hilton app to pick a room. Fun!

Our friends’ pool is just as lovely as ever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter