A mouse, an owl, and a turtle go on vacation…-We are in Florida!

sarahk0204

DIS Veteran
Time for a PTR!

Let’s start with some history.

Here I am, age 6. I am with my two younger brothers. It was 1976, and it was my first trip to Disney. My grandparents retired to the Space Coast of FL in 1972, and they worked hard to get their only grandchildren to visit once a year. I grew up making many trips to the Magic Kingdom, Sea World, Circus World, and Kennedy Space Center.

Here is DH on his first trip to Disney. We were on our honeymoon in 1996. Despite not growing up with it, DH enjoys his Disney vacations.

Here are our children on their first trip. It was 2008, and they were 4 years old. (Yes, they are twins.) We are in the camp of waiting to bring children to Disney until they are old enough for them to remember it and for us to be able to enjoy it.

Here we are on our latest trip in December 2013

We did annual trips in 2008 and 2009. In 2010 we bought DVC, and, lured by the siren songs of developer points and annual passes, we made two trips each in 2010 and 2011. Then DH started his PhD program, and vacation money became tuition money. Sadly, we went two years between trips before this last one in 2013.

Now we only have to wait about 18 months between trips. Let me give you our basic plan, which will also explain the critters in the title of this trip report.

First of all, we are driving from IL . We have driven for all of our trips except this last one in December. When we started vacationing with the kids, they were toddlers, and DS especially was wary of new experiences. I had visions of being one of those families you see on the news who is kicked off the airplane because of their toddler’s temper tantrum. Truth is, we like to drive. Yes, we use electronic devices, and yes, it takes more time, but we enjoy it.

We will leave when the kids’ school gets out. In our district, we have 5 potential snow days built into the calendar. The cool thing is that when they are all used up, we still only have to go until the last possible date on the calendar. So our school next year can get out as early as Wednesday, June 3 and as late as Monday, June 8, but no later than that.

As of now, I will have our vacation start on 6/9. If we have a mild winter (unlike this year), we may go to Florida earlier.

We hope to make our first stop with our friends near Tampa. Since we’ve made fewer Florida trips, we’ve made fewer side trips to visit them. They keep asking us when we will be back. After a couple of days there, we hope to move on to:

WWHP! (or whatever they are calling it by then). We have never been to US as a family. I went to US once in 1992, pre WWHP, pre IOA, pre DH, even! We will come from Tampa with a stop at DTD (gotta get a Disney fix in there somewhere!) We will likely stay 1 night at the Doubletree right outside US and move there for the following night Then we will spend 3 days/2 nights at a Universal onsite hotel before heading to:

VBR! My grandparents lived about 20 miles up A1A from here, so I love the area. It is very much “home” to me. We will spend a couple of days here, just relaxing. DD and I may try the spa. We’ll definitely have dinner at Lobster Shanty, a family favorite. The day we check out, we will head north to:

Kennedy Space Center! DH and I were last here on our honeymoon, and the kids have never been. After a full day there, we will head further north to have dinner with some IL friends who have recently relocated to Jacksonville. We’ll spend the night near them, before our next stop:

Baltimore, MD by way of Richmond, VA. This is because DS discovered football within the past year. Now, DH is a fan, and we usually have games on in our house on Sundays. It has been the fall background for DH to grade papers his entire career. DH is a Chicago Bears fan. DS and DD didn’t really pay attention to the games much before this past season. Now, they can have conversations about the game with their dad and grandpa. It’s pretty cool.

But what do the Bears have to do with Maryland? Well, DS has decided he is not a Bears fan. Ok, but his initial alternative was to become a Packers fan. Now, this would not do!

A cousin was following the Baltimore Ravens, so DS started following them as well. He watched their games on the NFL app, and asked for Ravens stuff for Christmas. Both kids did state reports this year, and DS chose Maryland (and learned quite a bit about fun things to do there, etc.). (DD chose Hawaii, but Aulani isn’t in the budget yet!)

So, DS would like to go to Baltimore. DH teaches English, and he really likes Edgar Allen Poe. We visited Poe historic sites in Richmond, VA when we were first married. There are also some Poe sites in Baltimore. So we will drive to Richmond, spend some time there, and then drive to Baltimore for a few days.

Of course, Baltimore is very close to Washington DC. Our kids are old enough to actually appreciate that, so we will use Baltimore as a home base and travel into DC via train. We will have no shortage of things to do there!

We still need to get back to IL from Baltimore. Rather than a straight shot home, we keep finding things to do along the way. As of right now, we are going to visit the Antietam historical site, the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, OH, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

So, 4 people, 5 various animals, and about 3 weeks vacation, driving through 13 states.

Time for some pictures of the places we will be visiting!

This is our friends’ pool. The back corner is actually a raised, hot tub area, and the water comes over in a waterfall into the pool. We LOVE this pool.

This is DH, our nephew, and DS in said pool. Our friends are my sister-in-law’s parents. Hearkening back to Power Ranger days, the guys are making a Megazord.

This is a fun wildlife park near our friends’ home.

Manatees feature prominently here. ;)

VBR is just gorgeous.

DD enjoyed the crafts.

DS lost his first tooth at the pool. Luckily, the gift shop sold mints in little metal containers that made an excellent tooth fairy box. (Our tooth fairy doesn’t do well with loose teeth under pillows.)

This is from the character breakfast at Shutters. The food is very similar to Ohana and also served family style. We will be hitting Vero in the middle of the week this time, so we may eat breakfast here, but without Goofy and Donald.

This is at the Cocoa Beach Lobster Shanty in 1996.

And this is 2008. DH was pretty stressed trying to keep twin 4 year olds out of the intercoastal.

We will most likely be going to the Lobster Shanty in Vero Beach, but the food is very similar to Cocoa. Lobster Shanty has some haters on the VB thread. People complain it is where the seniors go. Well, when my grandma first took us there in 1996, she was 88 years old. So yeah, we went during the early bird special.:rotfl: The fish is good, the prices are reasonable, and it is family friendly. DS has really started to like seafood over the past couple of years, and he will have lots to choose from. DD is less adventurous, but they have some nice chicken dishes, too.

KSC in 1996.

I do have some photos from US in 1992, but they are in a different album. I'll work on those for next time.

Ok, so "next time" was over 6 months later! No time like the present :lmao:

As promised, the Universal pics, circa summer 1992.

This is, I believe, the "Animal Actors" show.

This is pre-Hard Rock Hotel, when there was only a restaurant.

Mel's Diner

My brother is on the left. The other guy is a guy he grew up with. Does anyone notice what is missing from this picture?

So, we are finally firming up some plans.

We've used several, but not all, of our snow days. However, with trying to balance DH's work, my work, and timing things so our friends will be home from attending an 8th grade graduation, we will start our trip on Wednesday, June 10. I think my ticker may be a little off, but since I've gotten Hedwig 2/3 of the way across the banner, I am not changing now.

I've booked the Doubletree for the night before our Universal stay. We are using hotel points, so I believe we just pay for parking and taxes. Breakfast is not included, but there is a Starbucks in the lobby. :thumbsup2

I've booked the VB portion using DVC points. We have a Garden View (aka parking lot) Inn room for 3 nights.

The Lobster Shanty in VB has closed. :( We may go to the one in Cocoa Beach, or perhaps we will try the Landry's restaurant in Melbourne. We are members and have a reward coming, so we may save it for that, as we've outgrown RFC and T-REX.

KSC is a "maybe" at this point, due to time, money, and the desire, especially DH's, to not cram everything possible into this vacation. Cleveland at the end has fallen by the wayside as well. At DS's request, we are going to visit Antietam on the way home, but then we will probably come back via southern Ohio and Indiana.

I will try to keep this a little more timely from now on. Trip planning is a good distraction from this frigid weatherparty:

Got some more hotels reserved.

We belong to a couple of hotel points programs. I do surveys online to earn "money" to "buy" hotel points. Way back when we started, I was looking at a Hilton property for our halfway point on the trip down. By the time I was able to book, that hotel is no longer available for the night I want for points. I started looking at IHG hotels instead, so now we have a Holiday Inn Express booked for a night in Alabama.:)

The other bit I reserved is our Baltimore/DC stay. We have 5 nights booked at a Homewood Suites. DH and I debated between 4 and 5, but with a good rate and a full kitchen, we can make 5 nights worth our while, I think.:cool1:

I still need to book a Richmond hotel, ideally with Hilton points, and there are 2 nights I won't prebook because I am not sure how far we will get that day. Then I just have the Universal nights to book. Waiting for payday on that one, but things are starting to shape up. :thumbsup2

I read this when you revived it, but did so from my phone and forgot to comment! I seem to be doing that a lot lately! I had to go back and reread the opening since it had been a while. I think it's a good idea to skip the Rock n Roll Hall of fame. While it was cool to see when I was in Cleveland, I don't think it was worth a special trip.

Plans sound good. I hope that you get out on the day you want to!

I read this when you revived it, but did so from my phone and forgot to comment! I seem to be doing that a lot lately! I had to go back and reread the opening since it had been a while. I think it's a good idea to skip the Rock n Roll Hall of fame. While it was cool to see when I was in Cleveland, I don't think it was worth a special trip.

Plans sound good. I hope that you get out on the day you want to!

Thanks! Yeah, I think we can live without the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. We are going to stay at the Hard Rock Hotel, so that will make DH happy. DS was happy to take Antietam in lieu of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, so I am keeping the various parties satisfied!

I just got HRH booked for 2 nights. With the AAA discount, we saved about $90.:cool1: Now I just have to get Richmond booked, and we will be set for hotels.

We talked to 2 families this weekend who have been to DC with kids in the past couple of years. Picked up some helpful tips from both, although my DBIL was sad to learn that the restaurant he recommended for us in Baltimore had closed all but its airport location. :sad: We are trying to get some ideas for food, but since this isn't as intense as WDW dining, I am fully prepared to wing it. ::yes::

Sounds like a fun trip. I am interested in seeing how D.C. turns out too. I want to take the kids there but I think I need to wait a few years until they are old enough to appreciate it. I haven't been since I was in sixth grade which was 25+ years ago now! I am also really considering trying Vero Beach on our next trip to get in a few beach days. So many choices so little time! I also went to Universal back when it was just Universal it was probably the very early 1990's. I think it may have changed just a bit? Lol. Anyway looking forward to your report!

Sounds like a fun trip. I am interested in seeing how D.C. turns out too. I want to take the kids there but I think I need to wait a few years until they are old enough to appreciate it. I haven't been since I was in sixth grade which was 25+ years ago now! I am also really considering trying Vero Beach on our next trip to get in a few beach days. So many choices so little time! I also went to Universal back when it was just Universal it was probably the very early 1990's. I think it may have changed just a bit? Lol. Anyway looking forward to your report!

Yes, my DSIL did mention that our DN (nephew) at 8 1/2 was a little young for DC. His older sister was going on 12 at the time, and she enjoyed it much more. My kids will be 11, so I think we're good.

We LOVE VB, but I grew up visiting my grandparents on the Atlantic side. People who are used to the Gulf side don't seem to be as fond of it.

I did book a hotel in Richmond, so now I need to get tickets for US. It looks like one of those extra day free deals will be good while we are there, so that may work out well.

Well, the Universal tickets got delayed by a payday or 2 in lieu of a new refrigerator. :sad1: Our repairman tried, but the part we needed is no longer being made.

In happier news, I did figure out the plan of attack for our first Universal day. We are interested in checking in and using early entry to WWOHP. I wasn't sure if we'd have enough time. So, I did some research.

Parks open at 9:00 AM that day.
Early entry will then be at 8:00 AM (likely Diagon Alley last time I checked).
Early check in to Universal hotels begins at 7:00 AM.
The Starbucks in the Doubletree opens at 6:00 AM.

Score! The whole family is happy! :cool1:

And from a discussion on the VB Facebook group, I've found that I have a good chance of our existing MB working on the door and pool entrance at VB. I linked the stay in MDE, so we will give that a try.

Got a couple of more things done.

I cashed in some reward points for a gas GC and a Starbucks GC. Dollar General had 10% off on fast food GC this week, so I added a Wendy's GC to our supply. We have a fundraiser for the kids' school at McDonalds next week, so I will purchase a GC then. We have a tradition of breakfast at McDonalds on the first day of the road trip.

After looking online, I decided I want to get a paper Triptik from our AAA office. The online function limits the stops you can put in and the number of maps they can mail to you. Since I am working every other Friday near our AAA office, I set a date to go there and put in for the Triptik. That way, I can have as many maps as I can carry. From past experience, I know that I have to specify routes I want. The computer program that AAA uses has some defaults that we don't like. For example, we live in north central Illinois. There are plenty of routes to Florida that don't take us through Chicago and Indianapolis, but the AAA program defaults to those. Once you factor in traffic, the Chicago route is not any faster (and is more stressful to boot). I've found if I specify the roads I want, I get the Triptik I want the first time. And yes, I know I can use GPS, but it is nice to have something concrete for when the signal is lost or whatever. Besides, I do things like keeping track of what we spend on the road, etc, and the Triptik is a nice place to put notes and such.

I've never got a TripTik before. We could have used more maps on our SW roadtrip last year, when we got to Indian Territory, there was no signal for quite a while, so I totally understand.

I've never got a TripTik before. We could have used more maps on our SW roadtrip last year, when we got to Indian Territory, there was no signal for quite a while, so I totally understand.

Yes, I can totally understand losing a signal in the terrain of Indian Territory. We tend to lose our signal in places much less exotic, like the middle of Central Illinois. I will keep my paper maps and Triptiks along with my technology. :)

Getting some stuff done!

Made dining reservations for The Kitchen at the Hard Rock Hotel and Mama Della's at Portofino Bay. I am still researching Vero Beach restaurants since our beloved Lobster Shanty has closed, and the one in Cocoa Beach is 40 miles away. The VB Adoration thread on the DIS had some suggestions, and I belong to a VB FB group as well, so I posed the question there.

DD decided on a pedicure for her spa treatment, so I made a reservation for both of us at the VB spa. Maybe DH and DS will go to the military museum nearby, or maybe not.

I ordered our Universal tickets from UT. The third day free promotion is still valid during our stay, so I saved a chunk of money!

I still need to buy train/subway tickets for the Washington DC part. Our hotel in Baltimore is near the airport, and there is a shuttle. The commuter train (MARC) has an airport stop, but it is a mile or so from the terminal. I need to check with the hotel to see where the shuttle can take us, or if it would be better to pay the $9 for train station parking.

And here comes the wrench into our travel plans. :(

We just found out that our almost-paid-for mini van is in need of some major car repairs. These would be the kind that are A) needed to keep the car running and running safely (exhaust and brakes) and B) are very expensive (Are catalytic converters solid gold? Yikes!). Anyway, DH and I talked, and we decide that the best way to salvage at least some of this trip and not go into debt to do it would be to cancel the Richmond-Baltimore-Washington DC portion. The kids were disappointed, but they understood. I hadn't bought train tickets yet, so I just had the hotels to cancel, which went smoothly.

I did get my Triptik from AAA a couple of weeks ago. Now it is only correct up to a certain point, but the return journey is just retracing our steps. We have also made this trip many times, so we really don't need a new Triptik.

And :offtopic: from my trip report, but I see there are plans for cabins/bungalows at VWL. DH and I both agree that this would be a great place to add on, were we ever able to.

Less than a month to go! :cool1:

Just updated my SunPass, so we have plenty for those tolls. We don't use many toll roads, but it sure comes in handy for when we do.

DD has a friend whose family moved to Jacksonville last year. The mom and I have been in contact, and they've decided to drive down on our second Universal day and stay at HRH as well for 1 night. They have Universal APs. DD is excited to see her friend, and DH is happy that we get a little time at US as a family before we hang out with them.

Home stretch!

I restocked our travel first aid kit. When we aren't traveling, I tend to borrow from it to use items, meds, etc, at home. Supplies were running pretty low.

Yesterday was the somewhat local graduation party that our friends from Tampa were attending. They are eager to have us visit, and are psyched to clean and cook before we arrive. :thumbsup2

I got the email that our Owners Locker is set to be delivered to our Universal hotel. :cool1:

Tomorrow starts the single digit dance. :banana::banana::banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter