"A Mind at a Time" by Mel Levine M.D.

dejr_8

<font color=CC00FF>DIS Veteran<br><font color=33CC
Just wanted to suggest this book to anyone with a child that exhibits difficulty in school. In fact, I would probably suggest that anyone with kids in early grades read this book.

It nicely maps out that all kids have talents and nearly all kids have some learning issues.

Just wanted to suggest this book to anyone with a child that exhibits difficulty in school. In fact, I would probably suggest that anyone with kids in early grades read this book.

It nicely maps out that all kids have talents and nearly all kids have some learning issues.

I am sure his books are excellent and everyone I know with a child who had learning differences practically ran over the other cars on the highway getting them to Chapel Hill to be assessed by him, so I think his academic work is good.

However, I don't believe he is in practice anymore due to some allegations of improper treatment of some of his patients. It was a pretty big scandal if I recall correctly.:scared1:

Edited to add: No, he isn't in practice anymore. He committed suicide earlier this year, in February. I copied and pasted this:

Dr. Levine, 71, was found in the woods near his Rougemont, N.C., home with a gunshot wound to his forehead. His death was reported a day after a class-action sexual abuse and malpractice suit was filed against him in Boston.

He was apparently accused of improperly conducting genital exams on young boys during the academic/behavioral assessments. At least 40 men were alleged to have been fondled.

So sad - he really was a great champion of different learners.

I am sure his books are excellent and everyone I know with a child who had learning differences practically ran over the other cars on the highway getting them to Chapel Hill to be assessed by him, so I think his academic work is good.

However, I don't believe he is in practice anymore due to some allegations of improper treatment of some of his patients. It was a pretty big scandal if I recall correctly.:scared1:

Yes, his suicide as a result of those allegations pretty much has stopped him from practising.

His books are excellent. I also heard him speak a few years ago. He was an excellent speaker as well.

Yes, his suicide as a result of those allegations pretty much has stopped him from practising.

His books are excellent. I also heard him speak a few years ago. He was an excellent speaker as well.

Apparently he was excellent in many regards but impulse control seems not to have been one of them.

I remember so many people being so very upset about this when it came out - he was revered as an expert and it was like finding out someone you trusted with your child had molested them.

The boys who were alleged to have been molested were in Boston in the
1960s - 1980s, so no local incidents were ever reported.

Mel Levine was a pioneer in the field of developmental pediatrics.

While the allegations and his suicide were a tragedy, let's please remember that people, at least in this country, are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Wow! I don't know how I missed this story. I have read all of his books.

Can't the "victims" go after his estate if they feel they have a case?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter