A Little Sour, but a Lot of Fun: Spring Break 2019 DR *Updated 11/17 Complete!

Hope you are feeling better!

Thank you, feeling much better this week!

Who is that young man? That cannot be Asher. He is a toddler. That is a clear pre-schooler right there.

I know, he looks so tall. He is a skinny one though, not surprised though, Chad and I were both very skinny little kids.

I must come home with this for Casey. Any idea if you can buy it without the slushy?

Yes, as a matter of fact, they asked if I wanted the slushy in it or not. But I don't know if the price is any lower without it.

Yum this looks and sounds awesome too! We ended up having some cauliflower on our last trip at Nomads that became one of our favorite things of the whole trip (so good we ate it twice!)

I had that cauliflower on my solo trip and I think it's the best dish I've had at Nomad so far. It's so good! It was actually HOT (temperature-wise), which I am finding to be an anomaly...foreshadowing.

Last edited:
Glad you were able to having a relaxing dinner. We had breakfast once at Olivia's and it was really good. We are returning in December and will have to give it a try for dinner.

Next time you drive, you should take the Western Way in (it’s a toll road as well) and you can avoid I-4 completely! When we lived in Georgia, we used to go that way.

Don’t blame you for bailing on a crowded Saturday night at Disney Springs!

Love all the booze at Olivia! Nice way to ease into vacation! Your food looks decent as well. Old Key West is so nice and I’m glad Asher got to burn some energy on their playground!

That sounds like a much nicer start to vacation and hopefully set the tone for your entire trip! I would have been sucking that prosecco down like it was water ::yes::

We loved OKW when we stayed there but never got to Olivia’s. From your photos that was clearly a mistake. Love that you got the first drinking day. Did you alternate your boozy days with DH?
Looking forward to more.

It's so funny you mention the lack of storage/furniture in your hotel room! I was just thinking about how I've been noticing the lack of storage and furniture in renovated hotel rooms EVERYWHERE now. Some of the DVC suites don't even have dressers! What is up with that?

I'm sorry you missed your ADR at Wolfgang Puck :guilty: But I think you definitely made the right call. I swear Disney Springs is worse than the parks when it gets crowded, and I hear amazing things about Olivia's!

What a relaxing, delicious looking meal! :beach: Those scallops look to-die-for, and Prosecco is my favorite :lovestruc

It sounds like you guys had a really fun, low-key evening at OKW! Can't wait to read about Magic Kingdom!

sher was able to experience his first Waffle House waffle as a result.

img_4741-jpg.397113
When in the south....

We were making good time until Ocala and then it all fell apart—stop and go traffic all the way from Ocala to the turnpike, then of course on I-4 as well.
Yikes! That does not sound enjoyable.

We drove around the West side parking lot for a few minutes before giving up and canceling the ADR. We didn’t really want to be at Disney Springs when it’s that packed anyway.
Speaking of not enjoyable....No chance you could get me near DS on a Saturday

They are the same person, it is uncanny.

img_4749-jpg.397115
Twins!

img_4757-jpg.397119

Conch Fritters
served with Key Lime-Mustard and Roasted Red Pepper Rémoulade --$12.00
Oh these look so good. Key West is one of our favorite places in the world and we love conch fritters. I'll have to get to Olivias some day to try these

img_4758-jpg.397120

Seven Mile Sea Scallops
Pan-seared Scallops over soft Polenta topped with an Edamame-Pancetta Succotash and Tomato Vinaigrette --$27.00
Yum!!! These look delicious and how great to have scallops on a non-signature menu

I picked up a Turtle Krawl for myself from Gurgling Suitcase because playgrounds are much more enjoyable with a cocktail. The playground is cute and the whole resort area is just lovely. It’s on our list to stay there, we’ll get around to it eventually.
Amen sister!!!!!

I’m in. Cant wait to hear more. It’s been over 10 years since I’ve been to OKW and I think I may need to change that soon.

My baby is going to turn three in a month and a half. She’s already starting to turn into a threenager with me luck, lmao ‍ :eek:

Day 2 – March 31

I would have liked a relaxing non-park morning after our exhausting drive the day before, but it was our only Sunday during our trip and with spring break crowds, I knew it was our best chance for Magic Kingdom with (somewhat) tolerable crowd levels. I stuffed some sort of food into Asher and made sure Chad ate something so that we wouldn’t have a hangry episode mid-morning. I was fine with just coffee.:coffee:

We arrived just after rope drop and spent the morning doing a few Fantasyland attractions, but the wait times grew very quickly and we skipped several attractions as a result.

Chad wants to skateboard in the drained castle moat.

IMG_4764.JPG

IMG_4770.JPG

By the time we got around to our Peter Pan FP time, Chad was grumbling about food even though our lunch ADR was only an hour away, so I sent him to Sleepy Hollow while Asher and I rode Peter Pan. The corn dogs there aren’t freshly dipped anymore, but it’s the only place with savory food that early in the day. Chad waited forever, we were finished with Peter Pan and waiting on him at our designated meeting place when he finally showed up with his lukewarm corn dog. I could do with more savory food options that don’t require waiting in line at Starbucks at all the parks in the mornings.

IMG_4102.JPG

After looking around the Christmas shoppe, an extensive interaction with Mary Poppins, and the Move it! Shake it! party (during which Asher refused to either move it OR shake it), it was time for our 11:30 ADR at Liberty Tree Tavern and I was starving!

The waiting area was already packed, but we were seated quickly in this corner bench table right by the entrance to the Ben Franklin room. I was grateful to be somewhat sequestered because it was already madness in that place and very loud. It was obvious they were fully staffed and expecting a super busy day. I will request the Ben Franklin room in the future, it seemed quieter in there.

IMG_4775.JPG IMG_4773.JPG

I apologize for the terrible photo selection, the lighting was terrible and I was in the restroom with Asher when the food arrived, so Chad forgot to take photos before he divided up our food.

The wine and beer list has been nicely expanded here. I went with the sparkly that I like to have at least one glass of per trip:

IMG_4777.JPG

Iron Horse Fairy Tale Celebration Cuvée Brut, Russian River Valley --$17.00

Chad had an Angry Orchard Hard Cider that was delicious and refreshing. I steer clear of most ciders because they tend to be too sweet, but that is one that I could drink.

The children’s menu has been greatly expanded and I like this new format:

IMG_4772.JPG

We were able to order some apple slices for Asher even though they’re not on the menu and planned to share our entrees with him.

While I was in a lengthy restroom visit with Asher during which our conversations were incredibly amusing to the poor souls waiting for a stall, our food arrived.

There are several new additions to the menu since our last visit, but we went with our favorites from last year:

IMG_4137.JPG

Colony Salad
Grilled Chicken, Washington Apples, Sweet Pecans, Applewood-smoked Cheddar, Dried Cranberries, and Honey-Shallot Vinaigrette --$18.00

That’s half the salad there, Chad had already divided it. On our last visit, the kitchen divided our plates for us when they knew we were sharing, but I guess they were just too busy this time. Sadly, this wasn’t great because the chicken was way overcooked and tough (as in partly jerky). The salad was also drowned in dressing, even though I had requested it on the side. Sending it back seemed like too much of a hassle, so we didn’t bother.

We also shared:

IMG_4139.JPG

Tavern Battered Fish and Chips
House-made Tartar Sauce and Tavern Fries --$19.00

We were so impressed with this dish last spring and were dying to have it again, but it ended up being disappointing as well. The fish filets were miniscule inside super thick, oily batter. The fries were fine, but the cole slaw was flavorless, whereas last spring it was delicious. I’m really hoping this was just a matter of a super busy day and the kitchen cutting some corners. We could have mentioned it to a manager, but it felt so hectic in there that day that I’m not sure it would have mattered. The service was fine, very efficient and friendly enough but food-wise, a disappointing visit to Liberty Tree Tavern. We will definitely give it another try in the future, though I may make the earliest possible ADR next time, both to beat the crowds and hopefully keep Chad away from the corn dogs.:rotfl2:

Day 2 to be continued…

Last edited:
Thank goodness for the addition of wine and beer! I like that wine too. Without that, your lunch would have been a bit of a bust. Sorry the dishes didn’t live up to memory. So disappointing when that happens, especially if you’ve been looking forward to it.

Glad you were able to having a relaxing dinner. We had breakfast once at Olivia's and it was really good. We are returning in December and will have to give it a try for dinner.

I definitely want to try breakfast there, it would be so nice to sit out on the patio in the morning. Was it very busy during breakfast?

Next time you drive, you should take the Western Way in (it’s a toll road as well) and you can avoid I-4 completely! When we lived in Georgia, we used to go that way.

We made the mistake of trusting our Waze app on that one, I'm not sure why it routed us on I-4 this time. :confused3 Chad says we're NEVER driving again though, LOL.

That sounds like a much nicer start to vacation and hopefully set the tone for your entire trip! I would have been sucking that prosecco down like it was water ::yes::

Yes, I'm not sure what I was thinking by planning to go to Disney Springs. I must have thought it would be easier and more relaxing to walk over there. If I had planned it out better, we would have walked to DS and taken the boat to OKW.

We loved OKW when we stayed there but never got to Olivia’s. From your photos that was clearly a mistake. Love that you got the first drinking day. Did you alternate your boozy days with DH?
Looking forward to more.

I really want to stay at OKW now, I like the atmosphere and I also like that there are two real beds in the studio rooms.

We both know our limits, so we don't really have to plan that carefully. I usually don't have more than two drinks per sitting though, I must have been feeling froggy that first night. Luckily I wasn't any worse for the wear the next morning. :thumbsup2

It's so funny you mention the lack of storage/furniture in your hotel room! I was just thinking about how I've been noticing the lack of storage and furniture in renovated hotel rooms EVERYWHERE now. Some of the DVC suites don't even have dressers! What is up with that?

I'm sorry you missed your ADR at Wolfgang Puck :guilty: But I think you definitely made the right call. I swear Disney Springs is worse than the parks when it gets crowded, and I hear amazing things about Olivia's!

I don't know where guests are expected to put things, especially when there are typically only 5 or 6 hangers in the closet??? I've seen people mention taking one of those collapsible shelf units that hangs in the closet, which is a great idea, but why do we need to pack our own furniture? LOL. :rotfl:

We sadly never made it back to Wolfgang's this time, it's still on my to-do list.

Oh these look so good. Key West is one of our favorite places in the world and we love conch fritters. I'll have to get to Olivias some day to try these

I haven't been to Key West, so I can't compare with the conch fritters there, but as far as what we've had around Florida, the ones at Olivia's are pretty good in comparison.

I’m in. Cant wait to hear more. It’s been over 10 years since I’ve been to OKW and I think I may need to change that soon.

Thanks for joining!

My baby is going to turn three in a month and a half. She’s already starting to turn into a threenager with me luck, lmao ‍ :eek:

It's been quite a year for us...he FINALLY seems to be (slowly) growing out of that phase. I'll take the "terrible twos" any day, those were nothing in comparison. :eek:

Looking forward to hear more!

Thanks!

Hello! Here to join along on your dining report! My sister and her husband ate at Olivia's for the first time, for breakfast, last summer, and really enjoyed it. They're going back to WDW in July, and plan on eating dinner there. Everything you had sounds really delicious. We had breakfast there in the past, when we stayed at OKW, which was many moons ago, but I don't think we've ever had dinner at Olivia's. Seems like we'll have to give it a try. It's just so hard fitting in all the restaurants we want to eat at! Your son is adorable. I was LOL imagining the conversations you were having in the bathroom stall. I have four little grandsons, ages 7 months, 5, 6 & almost 7, and I've heard it all! Sorry your LTT lunch was disappointing. My husband & I had lunch there last year, and it was just okay. I hate putting out money for "just okay" food, especially if it's table service. I'd rather have hot dogs at Casey's. I agree with you about the MK having scant options for early morning counter service food. There really isn't anything besides Starbucks.

Sign me up for this one, can't wait to hear more.

I recently had some battered cauliflower at a Mexican restaurant local to me and my partner, I really enjoyed it.

A shame about your experience at LTT, I think you're on the money with the fact it was so busy, fingers crossed it's much better next time for you guys, and me in August!

We arrived just after rope drop and spent the morning doing a few Fantasyland attractions, but the wait times grew very quickly and we skipped several attractions as a result.
Yup, those spring break crowds are no joke. Pretty positive last year was our one and only spring break trip lol! Thanksgiving is heaven compared to spring break. Of course we're doing NYE this year so we aren't necessarily smart folk :crazy:

I really enjoy LTT lunch! I also normally get the colony salad, not only because it's always fresh and delicious but because I feel better about ordering the Oooey Gooey Toffee cake after :D Unfortunately the rest of the family doesn't like it so much so we do the Plaza more often, where I do not complain about my fried green tomato sandwich!

Chad wants to skateboard in the drained castle moat.

img_4764-jpg.398912
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

img_4137-jpg.398910

Colony Salad
Grilled Chicken, Washington Apples, Sweet Pecans, Applewood-smoked Cheddar, Dried Cranberries, and Honey-Shallot Vinaigrette --$18.00

That’s half the salad there, Chad had already divided it. On our last visit, the kitchen divided our plates for us when they knew we were sharing, but I guess they were just too busy this time. Sadly, this wasn’t great because the chicken was way overcooked and tough (as in partly jerky). The salad was also drowned in dressing, even though I had requested it on the side. Sending it back seemed like too much of a hassle, so we didn’t bother.
Oh no, this is usually so good and one of my favs. Though how I can see how the dressing could be a bit of a turn off. I always get it on the side too because they definitely make sure that lettuce is not coming back up for air :P

img_4139-jpg.398911

Tavern Battered Fish and Chips
House-made Tartar Sauce and Tavern Fries --$19.00

We were so impressed with this dish last spring and were dying to have it again, but it ended up being disappointing as well.
And its LTT for the fail....We've really enjoyed this in the past, so maybe spring break had them a bit discombobulated :confused3 We always do lunch instead of dinner and I don't think I've ever seen it remotely crowded at 1130

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter