A little recognition for the life guards!!!

MikeTaylor

Freelance contributor to wdwinfo.com!
Just sitting here lounging by the Meadow Pool catching up on E-Mail and resting my poor feet and saw a lifeguard (AJ) dive in and and save a little girl just a second ago. Apparently, a few kids were having a breath-holding contest and as soon as one of them stopped moving, he jumped in and pulled them up.

Right on.

Just sitting here lounging by the Meadow Pool catching up on E-Mail and resting my poor feet and saw a lifeguard (AJ) dive in and and save a little girl just a second ago. Apparently, a few kids were having a breath-holding contest and as soon as one of them stopped moving, he jumped in and pulled them up.

Right on.
Awesome, nice to hear! Hope that despite being tired, your "bad foot" is doing pretty well. I can empathize, having a "bum foot" too. Hope you and the wife are enjoying your trip, and will have a magical time!

It was rough today in the MK, but luckily, we're just a boat ride away from all of this serenity... She's outlet mall shopping by the way... Hahaha.
rsz_img_20170824_193951282_hdr.jpg

I've been walking with a cane as a precaution everyday, but it's still a lot of steps... No Swiss Family Treehouse for me! I'm in the hot tub now, just relaxing and texting, hoping I don't drop the phone! Haha.

I know I am being a jerk here... but what you are saying is the lifeguard did his job. The parents didn't, but the Disney employee making $400 a week did.

Poking the hornets nest further, when there is always a huge wait list for the CP and even any job at WDW, why is it a thing when a CM does their job?

It's good to see that you were walking Mike. Last year seeing you in the scooter reminded me of a dog with the 'cone of shame'. I could tell you just wanted to get up a be walking. Hopefully some rest makes WDW much more reasonable.

Yeah, definitely trying to get back to where I was. The heat really kicked our rear ends-even taking it easy and ducking into pavilions/merchandise buildings whenever we could to cool off. We ended up resting on our last park day and going home early. That is hard to do (and I know it's a waste) especially for me...waiting on this vacation for so long, but it was truly necessary. Our feet were hurting even before our easy, middle-of-the-week-day at DHS/DS. We tried to jam-pack as many new experiences as we could in that time frame, so for that I am at least somewhat proud of this trip. This was definitely the trip of "hit and miss". For every positive, there was a negative. We got a 2PM BOG rezzy last minute (during parade time, duh) and that was one unexpected pleasantry.

I may get to squeeze out one week of vacation next year; I feel like I'm going to spend a lot of free time researching a good Disneyland trip.

As for the CM's just doing their jobs, I get it. It was jarring at the time and I feel like the unwavering attentiveness involved with being a lifeguard is more of an issue as a CM than your run-of-the-mill park employee, hence, the desire to make a post.

I was standing next to the lifeguard at the poly many years ago when I was telling my 6 or 7 year old DD to get out of the pool when all of a sudden she jumps in and pulls my 4-5 year DD old out. I had already gotten her out but DD had walked down the steps back into the pool and fell on the last step happened so quick you have no idea and I was standing right there. The next day, I gave the life guard a small gift and talked to her manager to thank her.

Mike Go to Disneyland! Can not beat the weather! If you listen to the daily fix, you'll notice almost every day is 72 and sunny. It feels like they just change the date on the weather forecast but never the forecast itself.

I know I am being a jerk here... but what you are saying is the lifeguard did his job. The parents didn't, but the Disney employee making $400 a week did.

Poking the hornets nest further, when there is always a huge wait list for the CP and even any job at WDW, why is it a thing when a CM does their job?

I totally agree that it is the lifeguard's job and I respect your opinion, but how often do lifeguards get credited for their work? I hear stories all the time about other CMs--servers, merchandise employees, characters, character attendants, ride attendants, etc always getting compliments and none about lifeguards. Personally, I think it is the CMs jobs to do what they do too, but I hear compliments. So why not the lifeguards, too? Believe it or not life guarding is not an easy job because it requires a lot of standing in one place and moving your head in a circular motion (which is boring), and often times this leads to lack of attention. These lifeguards risk the lives of others. Good on that lifeguard for paying attention.
Source: I work for my county's park and rec system with plenty of lifeguards

My main point was about the lifeguards making little money (kind of in line with teachers, nurses, and first responders) for what they do, which often involves covering parents mistakes. I think I overestimated that the lifeguards make $400 a week.

I probably am more inclined to praise other CMs since I don't go in the pools and don't have any children that I know of. I really don't know how any CMs make magic on $10.50 an hour, and I see why so many CPs don't last their full term.

Mmm yes, because if a parent ever makes a mistake, or can't keep their eyes on their children 100% of the time, we are not doing our job. Watching kids at a pool is a breeze after all.

we're just back from 3 weeks at SSR....the lifeguards at the main pool there are awesome....totally professional..
best lifeguards i've seen in a very long time!!

I was a life guard at 16 you gotta be spot on, and attentive. It's crazy to think how one second of not looking can be fatal to someone.

Mmm yes, because if a parent ever makes a mistake, or can't keep their eyes on their children 100% of the time, we are not doing our job. Watching kids at a pool is a breeze after all.
You are absolutely correct.

I have watched those Lifeguards at many different WDW pools and they are so well-trained and focused. I give them a LOT of credit. That job isn't easy. My DS just lifeguarded here at home for the summer and it's a big responsibility and can be very stressful. I just think the WDW are beyond wonderful.

And to the poster who thinks it's the parents fault if their kid drowns, you obviously don't have children or you wouldn't make such an ignorant statement. All it takes is one second of looking away for these terrible tragedies to happen. Nobody is to blame. But I am thankful Disney employs and trains these awesome lifeguards and I feel safer knowing they are there watching out for my kids with me.

And to the poster who thinks it's the parents fault if their kid drowns, you obviously don't have children or you wouldn't make such an ignorant statement. All it takes is one second of looking away for these terrible tragedies to happen. Nobody is to blame. But I am thankful Disney employs and trains these awesome lifeguards and I feel safer knowing they are there watching out for my kids with me.

Who is at fault if your kid drowns? Is it the kid making minimum wage working at the pool? There is someone to blame if a child drowns; Parenting is a full time job. If you need to rely on lifeguards to watch your children it may be time to stop breeding. Somehow I am able to have a pool in my backyard with no lifeguard, yet no one has drowned. Since you know that I "obviously don't have children" please help me understand how any parent could allow their children into a death trap like a pool and not supervise them.

Don't tell me that on one hand your child is so important to you, but on the other hand you can't possibly be bothered to supervise them when they are swimming. Put down your nook, phone, book, and ipad. You are responsible for your children's lives. Lifeguards are there as a last defense for insurance reasons; They are not baby sitters. It is your type of reasoning that allows children to step into dangerous situations and then blame the coyote for eating your kid. Own parenting and stop being righteous and being able to reproduce.

I do not understand how my message was passed bye so easily. Here it is dumbed down:
lifeguards don't make a living wage
people treat lifeguards as over-entitled for telling them not to on wet concrete
when your kid nearly drowns you praise the college kid who saved it
when your kid drowns you blame that same kid
when pools are closed you hop the fence because it's your vacation
Darwin was right

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter