A little less housekeeping would be nice

I've tried my best to stay out of the debate here but I've finally gotten to listen to Tuesday's show. It didn't get posted to iTunes until Thursday for some reason.

1. Obviously, Pete and the team have paid attention to this thread and are trying to change things up. Kudos to them for that. I didn't think there was a problem that needed fixing but clearly some people felt otherwise.
2. I suspect that skipping introductions was probably an oversight, not intentional.
3. I think totally eliminating Housekeeping is swinging too far in the other direction. That said, they didn't really eliminate it since the first two Rapid Fire items were things that formerly would have been done in Housekeeping (Aulani discount and Med cruise update).
4. I missed the run down of the other shows. I don't think the problem was that it got done. I think the issue was how it got done and how much time got devoted to it. Simply having one person read a brief prepared list of that week's shows wouldn't take more than a minute: Monday the Disneyland team discusses the Walt Disney Museum and the DU show has Tracey's review of CBR; Wednesday's Universal show previews HHN and Best and Worst will discuss the best CS locations at the resorts; Friday DisPop will review the newest Marvel movie. There! Done! How long does it take to read that sentence?
5. Patreon is voluntary.
6. There is NOTHING wrong with DU advertising on this show. They are the ones that pay to make it happen so that all of us can enjoy it week after week. I am quite happy to spend a few minutes hearing about upcoming trips that I'm not going on in order to keep getting tons of free entertainment and information.

Maybe re. upcoming shows, a graphic could be shown with the weeks show schedule and days? Possibly with a one line summary of the content that week? I do like to know what's coming up so I can decide of it interests me or not.

Maybe a quick mention of Patreon every other week? Alternating with Kevin's DU DIS trip updates possibly? (unless there is something urgent of course).

I thought about this a bit more and the only downside is not everyone watches - so the sidebar graphic obviously doesn't work for them - but the featured show would still and can just mention that info on other shows is on the website and in shownotes for those who do audio only

Obviously this all assumes we get our weekly twisty treat update ;)

I love this idea of a a Graphic, I know they can do lower thirds with the equipment they have, can they also do a Right third or split view? I'm afraid that that if they show an "up n coming" graphic on the screen for the appropriate length of time it takes a person to read it that Pete will eventually start reading said graphic to us instead of just talking in which case that negates the point of doing the graphic. If it's off to the side where I can read it while they continue the show great.

If they go that route then post that graphic in the show notes so you don't have to type it all out again for the audio only crew to find.

In place of a graphic, a scroll along the bottom like the news stations do with a one-liner of this week's upcoming show and topic would be sufficient for me.

I've tried my best to stay out of the debate here but I've finally gotten to listen to Tuesday's show. It didn't get posted to iTunes until Thursday for some reason.

1. Obviously, Pete and the team have paid attention to this thread and are trying to change things up. Kudos to them for that. I didn't think there was a problem that needed fixing but clearly some people felt otherwise.
2. I suspect that skipping introductions was probably an oversight, not intentional.
3. I think totally eliminating Housekeeping is swinging too far in the other direction. That said, they didn't really eliminate it since the first two Rapid Fire items were things that formerly would have been done in Housekeeping (Aulani discount and Med cruise update).
4. I missed the run down of the other shows. I don't think the problem was that it got done. I think the issue was how it got done and how much time got devoted to it. Simply having one person read a brief prepared list of that week's shows wouldn't take more than a minute: Monday the Disneyland team discusses the Walt Disney Museum and the DU show has Tracey's review of CBR; Wednesday's Universal show previews HHN and Best and Worst will discuss the best CS locations at the resorts; Friday DisPop will review the newest Marvel movie. There! Done! How long does it take to read that sentence?
5. Patreon is voluntary.
6. There is NOTHING wrong with DU advertising on this show. They are the ones that pay to make it happen so that all of us can enjoy it week after week. I am quite happy to spend a few minutes hearing about upcoming trips that I'm not going on in order to keep getting tons of free entertainment and information.

Agree with all the above - though clearly you do miss having the run down of the shows as the Universal show is on Thursday not Wed ;)

I especially agree with the last sentence - if this is something you enjoy why wouldn't one be willing to listen to 5 minutes of "advertisement" or whatever if that is what keeps something I like up and running. I know on other podcasts I listen to they usually have a read in the middle of it for some product or another and I am happy to listen to is as I know it helps pay for something I am enjoying and not paying for (if it is a paid thing then that is different)

Many of us listen to the show so graphic-only content is worthless. But as I said, just reading a list wouldn't take much time at all, maybe 30 seconds.
I wouldn't say it's worthless. Maybe to an audio only subscriber such as yourself but to those that watch would find it useful.

To be honest if your looking for what's coming in your audio podcast the actual description of that weeks podcast, which by default it set to download automatically, tells you what that show is about so if u don't want to listen to it you don't play it

I love this idea of a a Graphic, I know they can do lower thirds with the equipment they have, can they also do a Right third or split view? I'm afraid that that if they show an "up n coming" graphic on the screen for the appropriate length of time it takes a person to read it that Pete will eventually start reading said graphic to us instead of just talking in which case that negates the point of doing the graphic. If it's off to the side where I can read it while they continue the show great.

If they go that route then post that graphic in the show notes so you don't have to type it all out again for the audio only crew to find.

In place of a graphic, a scroll along the bottom like the news stations do with a one-liner of this week's upcoming show and topic would be sufficient for me.
Although I don't know exactly what software/hardware they use for the lower third (although would be interested to know what equipment they use - maybe something for Patreon?), I suspect other graphics can be queued. Yes, would not work if Pete reads it out, but something we can read as they continue the show would be cool. Scroll bar could work too.

I'm in between, I like being updated on what's going to happen every week and the topics. But does it take a little time? Yeah.

Although I don't know exactly what software/hardware they use for the lower third (although would be interested to know what equipment they use - maybe something for Patreon?), I suspect other graphics can be queued. Yes, would not work if Pete reads it out, but something we can read as they continue the show would be cool. Scroll bar could work too.
But how would that work for those who listen on itunes?

But how would that work for those who listen on itunes?

It wouldn't. A lot of people forget that it's a podcast and many people listen to it. Not everyone watches the YouTube videos.

It wouldn't - but would at least be something for those that do vs nothing at all

I agree though that it was more how long it was taking them to get through the shows vs doing them at all - so a quick read through (like @disneysteve laid out) and maybe spend another minute on a specific show if it has something special going on or do like a spotlight show of the week or something

It wouldn't, but nothing will work for listeners unless Pete reads through the show lineup. A graphic would simply provide those who watch the information.
When the show started doing video, Pete was very clear that it would not become a video-only show and have a bunch of content that only worked if you were watching. Even now, someone at the table will occasionally be making hand motions or something and Pete will say, "A lot good that does our listeners" so he's still well aware of the fact that a significant portion of the audience is listening, not watching. I think any change to the format needs to keep that in mind, so replacing a spoken segment with a graphic just wouldn't work.

When the show started doing video, Pete was very clear that it would not become a video-only show and have a bunch of content that only worked if you were watching. Even now, someone at the table will occasionally be making hand motions or something and Pete will say, "A lot good that does our listeners" so he's still well aware of the fact that a significant portion of the audience is listening, not watching. I think any change to the format needs to keep that in mind, so replacing a spoken segment with a graphic just wouldn't work.
I completely agree, completely replacing it with a graphic wouldn't be ideal. But maybe a graphic and talking about the weeks 'featured show' could (as suggested above), or alternatively a quick runthrough of the show lineup.

This is the kind of sidebar graphic I was thinking would work to complement Pete talking (maybe a different featured show talked about each week, or maybe just the list of shows being read out rather than info about each shows content spoken?
gM9tNQ
full

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!