A Little Bit Of What You Fancy Does You Good

Just love Thursdays and Sundays when you post updates. Your gown is a scrumptious color and your lipstick is a perfect match. Enjoying the report so much , as always.

Ditto! Also like the way Graham's vest matches the embroidery on your gown.

Just found this today and am enjoying reading about your trip so far. I have only been on one Royal Caribbean cruise so far and it was on the Explorer of the seas and even though it is not the same class ship, I see a lot of similarities between the 2 ships.

Sounds like a bumpy night but glad you caught up on sleep later in the afternoon.

Breakfast sounded nice. Good start to the day. The only decent coffee on a cruise is the 10,000 pound expresso maker in the conceirge lounge on The Dream. But that is an expensive way to buy coffee..

I love the sound of the Viking lounge.

How neat running into your Disney partner in crime and his Mum at the meet and mingle. Next cruise China!

Oh Corinna my eyes popped out of my head at the next bit. Peter Max what! He is one of my favourite artist. It is my dream to have a piece of his work. Have you seen his Disney paintings? Beyond beautiful. I have a book with them in. I say if I will the lottery I will have the big Mickey on the stairs.

Your lunch looked good. How neat a gluten free table clearly marked. Oh that ice cream soft serve...they had that on NCL. It was great.

Oh my being just in time with your gowns! I think you choose a lovely colour and design for tonight.

Love the photos. Nice backdrops. The Captain one I like the idea of a vintage vehicle in the background. Shame not on this class.

Dinner looks a winner. Apart from dessert maybe. But cute towel bunny and tomorrow a quiz how perfect!

What a nice day. Glad you got your dining sorted.

Just love Thursdays and Sundays when you post updates. Your gown is a scrumptious color and your lipstick is a perfect match. Enjoying the report so much , as always.

Welcome on board. This time I have to be pretty disciplined as it is not too long now until the next trip. I love the colour of the gown, but I was not at all sure about the style.

Corinna

Just found this today and am enjoying reading about your trip so far.

Welcome on board.

I have only been on one Royal Caribbean cruise so far and it was on the Explorer of the seas and even though it is not the same class ship, I see a lot of similarities between the 2 ships.

It actually is the same class ship. Navigator of the Seas and Explorer of the Seas are both Voyager class ships. Voyager of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas and Adventure of the Seas are considered to be first generation Voyager class and Navigator of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas are second generation. However, there are not many differences. The main differences are that some of the bars are different, that Explorer has one specialty restaurant less and that the art gallery is on deck 4 rather than deck 8. Another difference is that Explorer has the Coca Cola Freestyle machines, which Navigator does not have. Our next cruise will be on Explorer in April.

Sounds like a bumpy night but glad you caught up on sleep later in the afternoon.

That was definitely needed. For the first few days, I was seriously sleep deprived.

The only decent coffee on a cruise is the 10,000 pound expresso maker in the conceirge lounge on The Dream. But that is an expensive way to buy coffee..

I think you will be positively surprised with the coffee at Cafe Promenade and if this does not do the trick, they also have a Starbucks next to this. I believe you have the ultimate drinks package and on our cruise, the Starbucks coffees were included in this.

I love the sound of the Viking lounge.

It is a beautiful space.

Next cruise China!

This is definitely creeping closer to the top of the bucket list.

Oh Corinna my eyes popped out of my head at the next bit. Peter Max what! He is one of my favourite artist. It is my dream to have a piece of his work.

I would love a piece of his art myself. We were spoiled on this cruise and saw plenty of his art. One evening the whole gallery had only his artwork on display.

Have you seen his Disney paintings? Beyond beautiful.

I did not know he did Disney paintings as well. I have to find out about this.

I think you choose a lovely colour and design for tonight.

I ended up hating the design of the gown and this has since headed to the charity shop. I loved the colour though.

Corinna

It actually is the same class ship. Navigator of the Seas and Explorer of the Seas are both Voyager class ships. Voyager of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas and Adventure of the Seas are considered to be first generation Voyager class and Navigator of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas are second generation. However, there are not many differences. The main differences are that some of the bars are different, that Explorer has one specialty restaurant less and that the art gallery is on deck 4 rather than deck 8. Another difference is that Explorer has the Coca Cola Freestyle machines, which Navigator does not have. Our next cruise will be on Explorer in April.

I don't know why I had it in my head that the Navigator was a different class. I was thinking that the Voyager class was the step above but now I remember that is the Freedom class. Hope you have a great time on the Explorer, I remember reading about it on a previous thread that looked like a great itinerary. Hoping there will be a TR for that one too?

That looks amazing. I want!

I don't know why I had it in my head that the Navigator was a different class. I was thinking that the Voyager class was the step above but now I remember that is the Freedom class.

Yes, that is right. I think from what I have seen, the Freedom class is essentially an inflated Voyager class.

Hope you have a great time on the Explorer,

Thanks.

I remember reading about it on a previous thread that looked like a great itinerary.

It is an amazing itinerary.

Hoping there will be a TR for that one too?

That is most certainly the plan.

Corinna

I am a bad disser and have not logged in since May but found your trip report and following along now :D

What a nice relaxing day. The buffet meals sound like they have a bigger option than DCL. I would have been happy as a clam to have a gluten free area. I always have to ask the chefs first.

Welcome on board. I had not seen you around for a while. Good to have you back.

Corinna
I know I'm so bad lol. I had even started a trip report for last years trip to Paris and haven't updated it since May lol

I completely missed this the yesterday.

I am glad that you are enjoying it.

Also like the way Graham's vest matches the embroidery on your gown.

I had not even noticed that.

The buffet meals sound like they have a bigger option than DCL.

I love the Windjammer on the Royal Caribbean ships.

I would have been happy as a clam to have a gluten free area. I always have to ask the chefs first.

Royal Caribbean is pretty enlightened in that respect.

I had even started a trip report for last years trip to Paris and haven't updated it since May lol

I have to check this out when I get a minute. There is a lot going on in my life at present.

Corinna

Day 4

We were awake bright and early again. Graham wanted to get some breakfast, but I did not really feel like it. I suggested that we could get a muffin and a coffee at the Cafe Promenade. Graham wanted a proper breakfast so we headed up to the Windjammer. This time we had no issue finding a table. Graham started with a plate of scrambled eggs, pork link sausages, mushrooms and tomatoes. He then went back for a bowl of oatmeal and some peaches and pears. At some stage, a server came around to ask if we wanted something to drink. Graham had a coffee and an apple juice and I had a coffee. I had a look around. For some reason there were no muffins that morning and there was nothing else I fancied so I just stuck with the coffee.

After breakfast, I said goodbye to Graham and headed down to the Star Lounge for the progressive trivia. There was one issue though. Neither of us had a clue who we were looking for. I had hoped that as we were meeting quite early, there would not be many people around. However, the Star Lounge was already very busy. I stood near the entrance and had no idea how I was ever going to find the team. I did not have to wonder for long. I heard that somebody asked for me and I went over to introduce myself. We went back to where the rest of the team was already sitting. Five of us came from Greater Manchester with the sixth person coming from Texas. We had a little time left for me to get to know the rest of the team a little before the quiz started. It turned out that we were quite well matched with different people having different areas of expertise. We managed to score 15 out of a possible 20 points that day. Once the quiz was over, I said goodbye to the team and headed out.

By then I was hungry and decided to pick up a snack at the Windjammer. On the way, I passed one of the sales on the Royal Promenade. Normally to say that I am not too keen on those would be the understatement of the year. There is not much that takes my fancy and this creates a real bottleneck. It also tends to bring out the worst in people while they hunt for so called bargains. However, the theme for that day was costume jewellery and I figured this was worth a look. I found two beautiful Murano glass pendants that were 75% off. So instead of $18 per pendant, I paid $4.50. That definitely was a bargain.

With my treasures in hand, I headed up to the Windjammer. When I got on the lift, I spotted somebody who looked familiar. This was one of those situations that you get completely thrown if you meet somebody out of context. At some point I had eye contact with the person and there was no sign of recognition from his side. I was however surer than ever that I knew this person. This was a neighbour of ours that I had not seen for a while. I know that he and his partner were avid cruisers so I should not have been surprised to see him. I also seemed to remember that Royal Caribbean was their cruise line of choice. So in the end I decided there was only one thing to do. I called out his name and sure enough, he reacted. Once he heard my voice, there was a definite spark of recognition. We exchanged a couple of words and then we reached his deck and he got off.

I carried on towards the Windjammer and made myself a sandwich with a toasted English muffin, salsa and pork link sausages. This went down a treat. When I walked through the solarium, I found Graham. I asked him if he was planning on hanging around for a bit. When he confirmed this, I headed back to our cabin to drop off my jewellery and pick up my iPad before heading back upstairs to join him.

We relaxed up there for about an hour and then Graham suggested that we should get some lunch. When we got to the Windjammer, they were still serving breakfast, but had started to set up for lunch. Graham had a bacon sandwich and a couple of mini Danish pastries for a second breakfast. I had a pear and then decided to wait until they were up and running for lunch. I then had a slice of Jerk pork, a pork chop, some steak fries with Bolognese sauce and Parmesan cheese and some beef and olive casserole. Graham had an ice tea and I had a Coke. For dessert, Graham had some apple crumble with custard and I had a piece of flourless chocolate and pear cake.

After lunch, we headed back to the cabin briefly to pick up the invitation for the art auction. We had spoken with the gallery manager the previous evening and she gave us a VIP invitation that entitled us to extra raffle tickets. We had never been to an art action before, but there was free champagne on offer, we had no other plans and it sounded like a bit of fun. We went for registration and the area in front of the Star Lounge was packed. We did not have long to wait to get registered, but we still had to wait for a while until they were letting people in. Once we got to go inside, the auctioneer explained the terms and conditions and also how the auction would work. We were then encouraged to have a look at the artwork displayed around the edges of the venue and there was free champagne, too. This was actually my favourite part of the auction. The art that they had on display was quite diverse. Some of it I loved, some of it caught my interest and some of it just left me bewildered. After about 30 minutes, the auction started. For every artwork up for auction, the auctioneer told us a bit about the artwork and the artist. So it was quite an educational experience as well. I really enjoyed the experience and on the way out, we were given another print.

I had not anticipated that this would take so long. When the auction was over, it was nearly time for the next activity. This was the photo scavenger hunt. As this was cancelled due to lack of participation on the Ovation, I was keen to do it this time. I talked Graham into joining me. I quickly went back to the cabin to drop off our print and pick up my camera and then met Graham in front of the venue. We bumped into our neighbour again and this time round we had some time for a chat. The reason that we had not seen him for a while was that they had moved away. It was nice to catch up.

I did not really know what to expect. We ended up getting a list of 10 photos we had to take. I can’t remember all of them. The easiest was getting a name tag from a Romanian crew member. One of the photographers we had become friendly with was from Romania. So we went to see him in the photo gallery. I also had no issue with a photo of somebody working out. One was surprisingly difficult and that was a photo of somebody eating an ice cream. We did get lucky though in the Windjammer after striking out at Ben and Jerry’s. So I did not need to sacrifice myself in the name of the competition. Others needed a little bit of creativity and staging; like somebody sleeping in an inappropriate location, somebody fishing and the recreation of that famous Titanic scene. Two defeated us and those were a human pyramid and a cancan line by the theatre. There was actually a team that got all 10 and some bonus points for being back first. It was a bit silly, but harmless fun. I think I have this out of my system though.

We had a wander around for a bit and then decided to find somewhere to sit where there were comfortable chairs and we could indulge in some people watching. We ended up in the Bolero Lounge, which on the Navigator of the seas is an open plan space near the dining room on deck 4. We found some nice seats. I had a look at the drinks menu in case that somebody came to ask what we wanted to drink. It seemed only fair enough that we should order a drink if we are taking up seats in one of the bars. Nobody ever came and for periods of time, the actual bar was unsupervised. I was quite surprised by this. I was happy enough reading my book and Graham watched the world go by. At some point, they started to set up for a musician near where we were sitting. We decided to retreat back to our cabin.

By then it was not that long until dinner anyway. So we got ready for dinner and then headed out again to do the round of the photo opportunities. There was a nice spread again. They had a photographer by the hanging sculpture. The backdrops they had out that day were an abstract one in earth colours, the black one, the one with the bow at sunset and the white one. For this they had all kinds of props like a life preserver, a picture frame and puzzle pieces. Once we had done the rounds, we headed for dinner.

This evening there was no wait at all. We were shown to a different table, which was just a couple of tables further down. We did however have a different serving team. The serving team we had the day before where very good and attentive, but Sonny and his assistant server Nataliia were truly wonderful. Dinner was great as well. We both started with crispy fried Camembert, frisée salad, strawberries and candied walnuts. I was not too sure about the frisée salad, but the rest of the dish was divine. For his main course, Graham went with the mixed grill, which consisted of a lamb chop, chicken and sausage and was served with roast potatoes, tomato and mixed vegetables. He seemed to like this well enough. I had the roasted pork loin, roast potatoes, herb dumpling and red cabbage. The pork was tender and everything was full of flavour. I washed my dinner down with some Coke and Graham stuck with water. For dessert, Graham had strawberries with champagne jelly and vanilla ice cream, which he enjoyed. I had the Belgian chocolate tart with vanilla ice cream. The tart was nothing to write home about, but the ice cream was delicious. Throughout the dinner we were entertained by a piano player playing soft music. I had not even noticed this the previous evening, but I thought it was a really nice touch.

After dinner, we had a quick look in the logo shop to check if they had any models of the ship. They did have plenty so we did not have to do anything about this just yet. We then headed back to our cabin. We were welcomed by a rather strange towel animal. I had a quick look through the Daily Compass and then ready for a bit and then we had another early night.

Nice update, sounds like you did some fun activities. I like to take part in those types of things on cruises.

That is definitely a strange towel animal...

Well done for doing so well on the quiz!

I like the pork being available in the Windjammer. It is one of my favorite meats. I am going to enjoy this..

How funny seeing your neighbour!

I love the bargain pendants.

The hunt to gather various photos sounds interesting....

The art auction I love the sound of.

Abtract backdrops are great this night. I like Grahams yellow jacket with your pretty outfit.

Dinner sounds nice. Mixed grill and champagne jelly! Yes please. Plus pork..mmm. Hard to choose. Glad your servers were nice.

Lovely day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter