A Jedi's Strength Lies In His Heart: The Path to Star Wars Rival Run 2020

Sleepless Knight

Jedi Knight Seeking His Jedi Princess
2019 Giant Race Lou Seal Challenge Recap!

Let's go back first to last year. The Giant Race Half Marathon was supposed to be the dream. I was happy with my new training plan from @DopeyBadger and felt confident that I could pull off the sub 3 hour half that was a mental barrier to my ability to complete the marathon. Then everything went wildly off the rails. I was in a bad place mentally heading into the race, completely wiped out physically the night before the race, and that all cascaded into my most difficult race ever. In spite of everything going wrong that day, I still actually set a new PR, but was still miserable. Now that said, my misery on that day taught me invaluable lessons that helped me truly enjoy my first marathon at Disney World this past January.

When I could register for the 2019 Giant Race, I debated between the Half and the 10K. I chose the half in part because I wanted to avenge last year's showing and meet my goals. Then a nasty cold wiped out all my planned training for June and I had to go back to square one. Coach told me that I should focus on using this race as training to get ready for Dopey and not worry about avenging last year. Better to be injury free. I appreciated him dialing back my aggression.

So I headed into today's races with the only goal of finishing the half marathon injury free and walking the 5K with my dad and little sister. Unlike last year, I made sure to start slow and just let the race come to me. My last race before today was a 5K in June. On that day, I felt like I had a lot in the tank, but needed to be conservative because my primary goal that day was to appropriately pace my 8 year old nephew and keep him from attempting to sprint the 5K.

Well as it turns out, today was my day. I basically used run/walk/run as I felt the need to slow down for a bit before pushing myself again. I didn't worry about pace at all aside from checking to make sure that my pace was in the ballpark of the race required 15 minute per mile pace. As I came upon each mile marker, I realized that the sub 3 hour half and with that a new PR just might be in reach. However, I chose not to worry about it. I knew I was on pace to finish and that would be good enough. But as miles 11, 12, and 13 continued to show that those goals were within reach, I decided to push myself to see if I could do it.

When I crossed the finish line, I realized that my gun time indicated that I may have broken the sub 3 hour half and I was pretty sure I had set a new PR even if I didn't break the sub 3 hour half marathon.

I looked up the preliminary race results and they show 2:58:58. So in the race where I was perfectly content with finishing ahead of the sweepers, I have at least set a new PR and probably broke the sub 3 hour half.

Giant Race San Francisco 5K

As part of the 10th anniversary of the Giant Race, they added the Lou Seal Challenge. Run the Half Marathon or 10K at 7:00am and then run the 5K at 10:50am.

I figured after the marathon, this would be less difficult. Admittedly, it's substantially easier to walk the race instead of trying to race it, but I was fine with that. My dad came into town to run the 5K because he wanted to experience being on the field at the Giants ballpark, so I was more than happy to walk the 5K with him and my racing buddy little sister. As we left the ballpark after the half to proceed to the 5K start line, I could really feel it on the stairs. However, my soreness had dropped substantially after the 5K. So my 58:33 5K time worked as a great recovery walk.

All in all, a happy race day for me. I feel like I handled the life happens stress much better this year than last year and enjoyed the race even before I realized that my set aside dream goals were still within reach.

Sleepless Knight

So life gets in the way of updating my training journal. Partially a function of having spent a whole lot of time in the past few months of spending too many hours in the day in front of the computer at work and therefore a desire on my part to not spend much time recapping my running here in the training journal. Suffice it to say, marathon training continues so that's good.

September 2019: 14 hours, 47 miles

October 2019: 15 hours, 50 miles

November 2019: 30 hours, 105 miles

• Sleepless Knight

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I was much more consistent, frequent, and better about updating this training journal. But 2019, not so much.

December: 66 miles.
    2019: 483 miles.

I remind myself that while December does not look great for marathon training, it does involve multiple multi day visits to Disneyland so there was a whole lot of walking on those days which sort of suppresses the miles for the month, but does involve fatigue in my legs.

Other major December news for me was obviously The Rise of Skywalker. Without getting into spoilers, I loved it. I then spent the next 2 days in Disneyland doing exclusively Star Wars. Hyperspace Mountain, Star Tours, Star Wars characters, and mostly wandering Galaxy's Edge and just geeking out yet again over everything there. I've spent enough time in Galaxy's Edge this year that CMs are starting to recognize me and just smile and nod.

I leave for Disney World and Dopey Challenge #2 on Tuesday. I have thus far avoided getting sick, so I hope that continues. Aside from finishing Dopey, my major goal there is to experience Rise of the Resistance as many times as I can. This goal will also involve sleeping in until 5:30 or so on non race days so I have that going for me.

Sleepless Knight

New journal title might mean more regular updates around here. Maybe. But I can't promise anything.

January stats:

15 hours
    58 miles with 48.6 of those miles being extremely Dopey miles especially in that heat.

Star Wars Rival Run training has officially begun, but I'm still working on getting more consistent on that front. We'll see how it goes.

Sleepless Knight

Well February did not get off to the start I hoped for. My allergies have been unusually awful for this time of year and that left me with a nasty headache that caused me to cancel some runs. Then I came down with a bad cold that completely wiped me out for 2 days last week and that started this week off on the wrong foot. But I feel like I'm trending in the right direction and may indeed be back on track.

2/3 3.44 miles First run back after Dopey
    2/8 5.75 mile walk wasn't planned, but it happened.
    2/10 1.44 miles
    2/12 2.44 miles
    2/14 2.44 miles
    2/19 3.44 miles
    2/21 3.44 miles
    2/22 5.4 miles

Finally got all my flights figured out for Rival Run and fastpass+ reservations booked. Spending a lot of time in DHS, but I already knew that was happening. Hopefully Rise of the Resistance boarding groups will not be impossible.

I missed out on Star Wars Nite at Disneyland party tickets for August, so that's not happening. Disappointing, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Besides that my first Star Wars Nite party morphed into a longer visit with my sister and her family wherein I spent lots of time with my then 16 month old nephew hanging out with Lightning McQueen in Carsland so now when his parents and older brother go on rides that he's not quite tall enough for yet, he takes me to Galaxy's Edge where we hang out with Chewbacca, help Rey hide from the First Order, visit R2-D2, and get out picture taken in front of the Millennium Falcon. He's informed my sister that he wants to play lightsabers with me in Galaxy's Edge in May.

Sleepless Knight

February got off to an uneven start, but I feel good about how it finished.

Monthly totals: 14 hours, 47 miles.

Coach tweaked my plan for the week in order to keep me from pushing myself too hard as I get completely back in my groove. In the past I've been laser focused on simply resuming a plan if I had to leave it for whatever reason. Only now am I beginning to understand that consistency and adjusting as needed are a better way to win the day. Running is one area of my life where there are many different paths to success. Because many other areas of my life are of necessity in varying degrees of rigidity, I let that spill over into my running and that created unnecessary stress in my life when things did not go according to plan.

Sunday: Planned rest
    Monday 2/24/20: 3.19 miles
    Tuesday 2/25/20: 3.44 miles
    Wednesday: Planned rest
    Thursday 2/27/20: 3.19 miles
    Friday 2/28/20: 3.94 miles
    Saturday 2/29/20: 5.94 miles

• Sleepless Knight

Well, we all know what happened in March. The workload in March is always very heavy and extremely stressful, so once it became clear that Star Wars race weekend would be canceled, I chose to stop running and use what little free time I do have in March to unwind in other ways. Since I'm an accountant and we are classified as a necessary business, I continued to work in the office.

March 2019: 22 miles

After April 15th, I chose to stop working on weekends, but continued to work longer hours in the office on weekdays so I did get some exercise in. On April 19th, which would have been the Star Wars Rival Run Half Marathon, I went for a walk to at least do something.

April 2019: 6 miles

May has started out a little bit better. I am finding that getting outside and going for a walk helps my mental outlook some during this time. My workload remains much higher than normal for this time of year given all the questions that Covid-19 created on the financial side of things. Nevertheless, I am grateful to have work right now given that so many others face so much uncertainty right now.

So far this month, I've been going for walks and just taking it easy. It's more about getting out there and doing something than trying to push myself. Nevertheless, I'm starting to feel the itch as it were so I may resume running in the next week or so. As it stands, I've already walked more mile this month than I did last month and I've logged more "exercise" time this month than all of March.

I signed up for the runDisney virtual summer series to keep myself motivated to get out and exercise. I'm giving serious consideration to registering for the now virtual San Jose Giant 5 miler or 5K race next month as well as sign up for the San Francisco Giant Race in September. While that race is still listed as happening in San Francisco, I suspect it will end up converting everyone to virtual. This race has offered a virtual component for at least the last 2 years so that's nothing new.

Sleepless Knight

May 25-May 31, 2020: Continuing in my efforts to just get out there and walk anywhere from 30-60 minutes a day depending on how I feel and what time I get off work. Work is still extremely busy, but I find that I just cope better with all the stress if I get out there and do something. I continue to not worry about pace since I just want to get out there and there is no goal race on the horizon. Still looking at some virtual races as ways to keep me motivated.

5/25 3.23 miles in 57:19. Average pace of 17:45 per mile.
    5/26 Brutally hot; no run
    5/27 Still brutally hot; no run
    5/28 3.03 miles in 53:53. Average pace of 17:47 per mile.
    5/29 2.99 miles in 46:04. Average pace of 15:23 per mile.
    5/30 Run 1: 1.05 miles in 17:51. Average pace of 18:45 per mile. Cut short due to downpour of rain.
    5/30 Run 2: 2.98 miles in 54:09. Average pace of 18:10 per mile. Went out later after rain cleared up.

For the week: 13.2 miles in 3 hours and 50 minutes.

May 2020 Totals: 59 miles in 18 hours. 21 days exercise for the month. Mile high point for the year, but more importantly a more consistent month of getting exercise in.

Sleepless Knight

Update time.

June 2020: 42 miles in 12 hours. A step back from May, but the worst was yet to come.

July 2020: 33 miles in 9 hours. A major work deadline wiped out the first two weeks of this month.

August 2020: 31 miles in 8 hours. An extended nasty heat wave (high temps around 110 which is 20 degrees higher than usual also contributed to major wildfires that caused horrific air quality.

September 2020: 42 miles in 12 hours.

Similar to August, but a virtual 10K and virtual 5K at the beginning of the month helped up the miles. Those virtual races turned out to be very positive experiences as they gave me a purpose for those runs after a training just to get outside mentality since April. So much so that I'm now signed up for the WDW virtual 5K, Marathon, Castaway Cay 5K, Princess 10K, and Princess Half. Now I just have to determine how to train for the marathon and keep proper motivation for a virtual 26.2. My nephews are also running the virtual kids races, but they don't know that yet.

Year to date: 339.6 miles.

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.