A honeymoon, a 3rd wheel & 3 very full tummies: We get how much food?!?!? 19 Nights DxDP!!!!

Hi There :wave2: I am really enjoying your dining report! So many days...so much food. Just awesome. I'm sorry you had a bad experience at Skipper's Canteen. My family went there last trip and liked it. I got the fish of the day which was really good. We are going to Garden Grill for the first time next month. Hopefully it will be as tasty as when you went. Which level do you think is better to have a good view into the Living with The Land? Looking forward to next update. -Amanda

we didn’t go overboard (partly because we are not huge fans of American chocolate

Is Australian chocolate like European chocolate? It really is so much better than American chocolate...

And Peta got to collect an allergy token at each stop. We each took in an allergy token to town hall to trade so Peta could have extra treats and they gave us each A TONNE! Check out how many full boxes of cookies we got! Peta was thrilled and made room in her suitcase for these as she loved them, and they aren’t available over here:

33964264420_8e94e9eb2a_c.jpg

33506477404_0bb1914f36_c.jpg

Yowzers! It looks like gluten free was the way to go!

Day 15 – September 30th – Ohana Breakfast

This morning was a breakfast that Trent was SUPER excited about! Stitch is one of his favourite characters, and as it was his birthday, it made perfect sense for me to book breakfast at Ohana on this day!

It was nice to just jump on the monorail and head straight to the Polynesian again today. The Poly is our DVC home, and I guess we will stay there at some stage LOL in the meantime, we really love the dining options here.

We had a nice early reservation as Trent’s choice of activity for the day was SeaWorld, and we were hoping to get there at opening. We checked in right on time and had a short wait on the comfy couches with buzzer in hand!

34195950112_1173d76a2a_c.jpg

It didn’t take long at all until we were lead to our table. The great thing about this breakfast is that it is quick because it is served family style. We had barely even sat down when our platter of food was brought over!

34313194876_be181e119a_c.jpg

The chef had come out the minute we sat down and arranged GF waffles, fruit, and a MASSIVE serve of veggies and potatoes for Peta!

33543567383_e8ced3becd_c.jpg

34354306305_86d31a32db_c.jpg

33543560373_61487074c6_c.jpg

Peta certainly didn’t go hungry here!!!!

Everything here was hot! I loved the potatoes, and Peta really enjoyed her veggies. We actually ate most of it, and although it was just the basics it was well done and we all enjoyed it! The coffee here is excellent and Peta was happy to have even more POG juice!

The characters here are super fun, and we got some great snaps. Because the restaurant is so large and so busy though, our interactions were relatively brief.

34195937212_feaeeb893b_c.jpg

34354292735_56e4d702d1_c.jpg

34354219945_111a894652_c.jpg

Pluto was being especially cheeky and had run of with another guests phone….he was running all over taking selfies:

34354280655_f58979f462_c.jpg

There is definitely a unique, fun vibe at Ohana breakfast!!!

And so, the scores:

Food – 4/5 – Simple, but hot and tasty! Great way to start the day with awesome coffee!

Service – 4/5 – Quick and attentive

Experience – 4/5 – Quick interactions but very fun none-the-less, and you can’t see Lilo and Stitch elsewhere

33543560373_61487074c6_c.jpg

Peta certainly didn’t go hungry here!!!!

That is awesome! My personal (dinner) experience with 'Ohana is that they are super accommodating. This further confirms that!

Pluto was being especially cheeky and had run of with another guests phone….he was running all over taking selfies:

34354280655_f58979f462_c.jpg

That's too funny! I love when the characters are extra playful.

Haha, I just today was second guessing our ADR at 'Ohana for breakfast. Thanks for helping me decide to keep it! :)

And those veggies look awesome!

Day 15 – September 30th – California Grill Dinner

Trent had a wonderful sunny day at Seaworld – his choice for his birthday theme park!

33512249564_126810e47a_c.jpg

We even snuck in more shopping time and Trent was thrilled to find coffee M&Ms!

33512243464_47bc10e5ce_c.jpg

They were delicious!

California Grill seemed like the obvious choice for Trent’s Birthday dinner being the signature restaurant at the Contemporary. Although we had seen Hallo-Wishes the night before, he was excited to watch it again from the balcony!

We had dressed up for the event:

34313148206_368e6f1f35_c.jpg

Service here is top level, but it’s not exactly quick! It took a while for our server to come and take our order.

For appetisers, Trent started with:

34313143886_683e9793ff_c.jpg

Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli - Tomato-Fennel broth, crispy mushrooms, tiny basil, Arbequina organic olive oil $15

It was light and the pasta was perfectly cooked. He polished it off very quickly! I had a taste and the broth was fresh and flavourful. A really great start to the meal.

I had my eyes on the sushi from the minute I’d book the reservation:

34354261555_e5bcb116c7_c.jpg

Dragon Roll - Spicy and Tataki tuna, shrimp tempura, avocado, Dragon sauce, Hijiki-Shirataki salad $25

I had tossed up between this and the spicy kazan roll and I’m sorry to say I made the wrong choice ☹ This sadly, was bland, and given their reputation for sushi I was so disappointed. This was a huge selling point for me when booking, and I suspect I should have gone with the other option. The tuna was not spicy at all and was poorly seasoned. The dragon sauce just seemed to be a bit hoisin like. I didn’t even eat half. When the server asked if it was OK I told him that I felt it was bland and didn’t meet the description. He was apologetic and offered to bring the spicy kazan roll instead. In retrospect I probably should have taken him up on this offer but the others had finished there meals and service here is fairly leisurely so I didn’t really want to wait. Oh well! I know what I will get next time!!!!

Peta also went with sushi to start:

34313145886_065d94c2d7_c.jpg

Truffle-scented Tofu Roll - avocado, jicama, quinoa, crispy fingerlings, silken tofu, truffle emulsion $22

Peta was SO excited to be able to enjoy some exciting vegetarian sushi! This can be a bit of a staple for her back home, but in the US we usually find that you can get cucumber avocado and not much else. That said, she didn’t feel it was as flavourful as it looked, but certainly nice for a change.

33970135690_22b094e422_c.jpg

Seared Hokkaido Scallops - brentwood corn, romano beans, duck confit, artichokes, verjus-piquillo emulsion $48

Thankfully this was a step-up from the appetiser! The scallops were perfect and the corn was fantastically textured. The crunch went so well and the flavours were so rich!

33970138370_57ab77397a_c.jpg

SRF-Wagyu Eye of Ribeye - potato mille feuille, Tank 7 fondue, chanterelles, pole beans, port wine sauce $61

This was not really a big size for the price, as you can see. But it was excellent! Perfectly cooked and tender. The meat was the star of the dish but the sides complemented well.

The Chef came out to see Peta and Peta had trouble deciding between the choices! As a result he did up a ‘Bento plate’ type meal ($44):

34354241615_df95059f69_c.jpg

Peta really enjoyed this, but had already had a full serve of the sushi, so it was a little odd to serve to her again. She did really enjoy the meal though!

Dessert came quickly after our mains and, naturally, Peta and I both went with:

33970129640_d3e225d934_c.jpg

S'mores Creme Brulee - marshmallow custard, milk chocolate ganache, caramelized turbinado sugar $13

As expected, this did not disappoint. We had without the smores stuff though – it seemed too much and Peta couldn’t have being gluten free.

Trent ordered:

34223490201_be336f4bc4_c.jpg

Warm Homemade Fritters - apple-stuffed, Cinnamon-dusted Fritters complemented with a Trio of Dipping Sauces $13

This was a huge serving! Trent and I shared and it was delicious! The sauces were tasty and the fritters were surprisingly light!

After dessert we started getting worried for the fireworks. We got lucky at MNSSHP in that it was the only night without rain for the whole week and everything went off without a hitch. Tonight it did not go so smoothly and had been raining since just after 8pm. Right when it was time for the fireworks an announcement went off stating it would be delayed.

We hadn’t used our drinks so we ordered coffees while we waited. In the end that was a good call, and it was about half an hour before we went out on the balcony and enjoyed the view:

33543500663_4cb4a6268a_c.jpg

Ok, so it’s nothing compared to being in the park, but it is a totally different perspective and very impressive in it’s own rite. We will continue to make this a tradition (although when we have kids we may opt for the top of the world lounge – I’m not sure a crying baby would be appreciated at California Grill!).

And so, the ratings:

Food: 4/5 (I have to mark down for that sushi!!!!)

Service: 3/5

Experience: 5/5

Last edited:
Wow! It really looks like Ohana went above and beyond on that breakfast!! Seems like Peta got a lot of better food options as the trip went on. I'm really glad to see that.

Day 16 – October 1st – Tusker House Breakfast

After a late night at California Grill (Mostly due to the late fireworks) we kind of regretted our choice of an early breakfast at Animal Kingdom.

We were late due to an accident and practically ran through to Tusker House. There was a massive line by the time we rocked up, but all larger tables so we were sat nice and quickly.

Our server got the chef out straight away to walk Peta through the buffet. The characters were in the other half of the restaurant so Trent and I also got up and grabbed plates of food.

We were very excited by the choices here, all the basics if that’s what you like plus a variety of unique dishes. And photo fail….apparently I was so busy enjoying the food that I didn’t get any photos!

The characters here were excellent, and we had quite lengthy interactions:

34632145676_68f944e61e_c.jpg

34542485721_25d2b9edfa_c.jpg

34632130176_545eb1db38_c.jpg

Our server was also lovely, and kept the POG juice coming, much to Peta’s delight! Here, it is clear that they have a high staff to table ratio. Our server appeared to be managing us and only 3 other (albeit large) tables. She was always right next to us, filling up juice and coffee and we had a lovely conversation with her about her home country of china. She told us she was new and was super excited to be at Disney, it had been a long dream of hers.

And so, the score card:

Food: 4/5 – One of the best buffets, such a great choice and everything fresh and hot

Service: 5/5 – Such a lovely server and so attentive!

Experience: 4/5 – Great characters, but this is held back slightly by how loud and overwhelming the whole space can become.

Tusker House is one of my favourites!! Food is great, and the characters are so cute in their safari gear.

Day 16 – October 1st – Contempo Cafe Snacks/Lunch

After a morning in AK doing the big rides again, we decided to head back to the hotel to have a swim. After lunch, we felt the need to grab a bite to eat.

Trent and I walked to Contempo Cafe and grabbed:

Toyko Sushi Combo - 4 pieces of California Roll and 3 pieces of Nigiri $12.00

This was tasty, and just what we felt like. Peta just wanted some fruit, so we used a QS and added a fruit salad for our dessert.

Peta enjoyed it, it was nice and fresh.

Since we had forgone dessert, We used a snack credit to grab:

Pastry Horn - with whipped cream in a crispy pastry sugar-coated shell $3.99

I was surprised that this was not a sweet as it looks. It also had a bit of a lemon flavour to the cream. It was enjoyable, but it wouldn’t be my first choice again. To be fair, I just didn't feel like another cupcake and wanted something lighter - and that is what I got!

Day 16 – October 1st – Coca Cola Experience & Snacks at Disney Springs

Having seen the recent addition of the Coca Cola Experience to Disney Springs, we were super keen to try this today, before dinner. Unfortunately, when we got there in the late afternoon it was absolutely bucketing down with rain and it simply didn’t let up. And yep, we left our ponchos which were wet from an earlier downpour in the room!

By the time we made it to the Coca Cola building, we were soaked! But it was still at least nice and warm and humid so we just head upstairs to purchase what we were after….The tasting trays:

33862976833_3120386648_c.jpg

Tray 1

34287768400_c9fd2191a4_c.jpg

Tray 2

33830307034_1b6e4eb72d_c.jpg

Tray 3 - Spiders

34510917882_93e586f151_c.jpg

The give you a menu to identify each drink. We sampled all blind then decided what we liked – and we all left the clear till last because we knew one was Beverly!!!! After we all tried some, we each chose some to finish but we didn’t get through much. As you can imagine, since we don’t usually have soda at all we found many far too sweet and felt pretty sick after trying a few. Peta and I had never had a spider before and we really enjoyed those! I was surprised that the ice cream actually balanced off the sweetness of some!

They also had a photographer who comes around and you can add the photos to Memory Maker. We got some pretty silly ones:

34632042506_4544b9a2aa_c.jpg

After this it was still quite early and we had some shopping to do. The running in the rain had built up a bit of an appetite, so we walked into Candy Cauldron!

Trent, naturally went with a cookie:

34672796985_8ed2de296f_c.jpg

Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookie $3.99

I grabbed something new:

34510867232_385e56a10f_c.jpg

Chocolate Dipped Marshmallow Wand with Topping $4.99

And it was delicious! The different types of chocolate made for a great flavour and it was super creamy!

And Peta went with a reliable favourite:

33830318354_b69abb168d_c.jpg

Chocolate Fudge $4.39

And she loved it! – note her VERY wet hair!

We were very excited by the choices here, all the basics if that’s what you like plus a variety of unique dishes. And photo fail….apparently I was so busy enjoying the food that I didn’t get any photos!

The characters here were excellent, and we had quite lengthy interactions

We had a very impromptu lunch there on Thursday, and I love the variety of food! We didn't have too long off interactions, but we were there for a late lunch when the place was clearing out, so we saw each character 2 or 3 times :-)

By the time we made it to the Coca Cola building, we were soaked! But it was still at least nice and warm and humid so we just head upstairs to purchase what we were after….The tasting trays:

Is that tasting free, or do you have to pay for it? We went in there to find something for my dad, but never went to the third floor.

We had a very impromptu lunch there on Thursday, and I love the variety of food! We didn't have too long off interactions, but we were there for a late lunch when the place was clearing out, so we saw each character 2 or 3 times :-)

Is that tasting free, or do you have to pay for it? We went in there to find something for my dad, but never went to the third floor.

Maybe we need to time Tusker House better next time! Would be great to see the characters for a little longer.

The coca cola tasting was about $19.99 I believe - but you could do between quite a few people. Those are full size party cups!

Day 16 – October 1st – House of Blues Dinner

After all our snacking and shopping, we head over to the House of Blues for our 8pm reservation. Trent is a MASSIVE blues and jazz fan, and even though we weren’t here to see a gig he was super excited!

Unfortunately, it was packed! We waited well over 45 mins after arriving and were starving by the time we sat down, despite our earlier snacks! (I guess we didn’t really eat a full lunch – Peta had only had fruit and Trent and I shared sushi).

While we waited, we at least had time to look in the shop as Trent really wanted a T-shirt!

When we sat down, we pretty much ordered our appetisers without hesitation and asked the server to come back to work out mains. She accommodated Peta really easy, and knew off the top of her head what was GF, ensuring Peta the chef could make most things vegetarian.

We started with some signature drinks:

Trent and I both had:

34542426761_d31b6b877a_c.jpg

Georgia Sunrise - blackberry, peach, lemonade $5

Peta enjoyed:

33862950273_e058c31d77_c.jpg

Raspberry Fizz - raspberry, ginger beer, lemonade $5

These were both tasty and refreshing and were nice large serves (though no refills)

I made a fairly obvious choice to start……have I mentioned lately how much I LOVE buffalo sauce?!?!?

33830264924_5e94283da9_c.jpg

Chicken Wings - fresh chicken wings fried crispy then tossed in your choice of Jamaican style spicy jerk sauce with tostones or Buffalo hot sauce with blue cheese and green onion $11

These had a serious kick but were some of the best wings I have had! I loved having the blue cheese on top, rather than having blue cheese sauce on the side like usual.

Peta had limited choices, but went with:

34287804160_aa9754572b_c.jpg

Garlic Fries - tossed with blanched garlic, cotija cheese and chopped parsley $7

They were simple, tasty and hot, but it was a HUGE serving, she barely even made a dent into it!

Trent went with:

33862943403_2468aeb193_c.jpg

Tot Mess - tater tots topped with tender carnitas, cheddar cheese sauce and pickled jalapeno $11

Wow, these were good! Steaming hot when they arrived thankfully, as there is nothing worse than luke warm tots! Between us, we pretty much shared these and the wings, but as you can imagine, that left us quite full already.

Oh well, bring on the mains!!!! Trent and I had the same:

34287778060_603ec2efcd_c.jpg

Jambalaya Bayou Bowl - marinated chicken, white rice, andouille sausage, sweet peppers and roasted green onion in a spicy traditional jambalaya sauce; gluten free; add shrimp $6; $19

We both had the shrimp. There are no words to describe how big these servings were. We probably could have shared one between all 3 of us if Peta ate meat! This was so flavourful, but I felt guilty about not being able to each much!

Peta had a twist on an old favourite:

34542407151_3f20eb63a6_c.jpg

Street Tacos - three street style corn tortillas, green cabbage, fresh pico de gallo, roasted tomatillo salsa, Cotija cheese and avocado lime creme; choice of blackened chicken, char-grilled citrus marinated steak or char-grilled mahi mahi; gluten-free; add taco $3; $15 They made a vegetarian version – one was peppers, one was mushroom and the last was beans!

Peta very much enjoyed this, but did comment that it was slightly too spicy for her taste.

The serves were MASSIVE here and we were surprised by just how good everything was. We were really too full for dessert, so we just grabbed something simple each:

33862931773_de1cc9cc15_c.jpg

Chef's Choice Ice Cream $5.00

And so, the score card:

Food: 4/5 – Such great food, massive serves and everything was piping hot! This was a definite surprise!

Service: 3/5 – Our server was nice enough, but a little sparse.

Experience: 4/5 – Trent had been dying to go to House of Blues and the atmosphere didn’t disappoint. Live music means this is definitely a rocking venue!

Maybe we need to time Tusker House better next time! Would be great to see the characters for a little longer.

We got really hot in the middle of the day and decided we wanted to eat inside somewhere air conditioned. I lucked out that we could get a 2:05 reservation, so if you can eat lunch that late, you won't have to fight much for more time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter