A Gift for the Dying

JinxedSydney

Lurker Extraordinare
Without going into all of the details, my dad was just diagnosed with a type of inoperable, stage 4 cancer. Needless to say, it's a rollercoaster. He's only had one round of chemo so far, and he's only 8 days out of that, so no nasty side effects (yet).

For 4 years, we've been planning a big family trip to WDW, in December 2018. With this type, he probably will not make it. Yes, I do believe in miracles, but I pray for the best and expect the worst. I already have a scooter company to use if he can make the trip.

He is still looking forward to the trip, knowing it probably won't happen. At Christmas this year, he will be at his 6th chemo treatment. I'm looking for ideas for gifts for him. Is it too crass to get him something Disney? Maybe something I can take even if he isn't with us?

Please don't think I'm a cold-hearted daughter by putting the facts here without emotion. I already grieve the day that I will lose him. Spent the car ride to work today crying about it over a song on the radio. Having to watch my kids grieve is even harder.Trying to see if anyone has any ideas for me. I am still excited about this trip, we have so much to celebrate. But I am so torn.

What do you get for someone who is dying without being condescending or "I-know-you-don't-really-need-this-but-it-makes-me-feel-better"? Please tell me I'm not losing my mind asking these things. No blanket or hat suggestions. He got those before he even started chemo. And I'm trying to let him make as many decisions as he can.

What's his actual prognosis? An entire year from now is possibly unrealistic but what about doing the trip sooner? Having walked alongside a loved one who passed away from cancer, there was a period of time between the diagnosis and the point at which he became very, very ill. Months actually. Maybe there's some way your special trip can still happen.

Totally agree....try it now. Even a long weekend? We are going in 9 days. DH has been on chemo for 9 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!