A First Order (and first trip together) Challenge - an April 18 PTR update 4/11 single digits!

absolutmey

always planning another trip
Hello! :wave:

Just a bit of background, before we begin.​

Well, as the title implies, I’m heading to WDW in April to run the First Order Challenge (10k on Saturday and half marathon on Sunday). I’d planned to take my trip solo, but April 2018 also just so happens to be my mother’s 60th birthday!

I had already booked my resort and given rD all my money for the Challenge.

take%20money_zps6yvf0gly.jpg

I’d already checked out park hours and made daily plans, including ADRs. I’d already started laying out FP.

Then, this past weekend, I’m looking at the calendar and realize what a terrible daughter I am – I haven’t thought of anything to celebrate my mom’s upcoming milestone birthday! So I called her and asked if she had plans. She told me, “well, I really want to go to Italy.”

chloe_zpsovbqsrzw.gif

Really, mom? Your birthday is 3 months away. We’re not going to be able to plan a trip to Italy. I’ll remember you said that, though (because, EPCOT).

I ask her if she wants to come with me on my April trip.

the-sound-of-crickets-i-hear_zpsp4rqybvi.jpg

Then she says, “you want me to come to Disney with you? To celebrate my birthday?” I say yes, but no pressure because I’m already going. I told her about my plans – running for two days – then touring the parks Mon-Wed alone.

So she says, “well, I’m off work that Thursday. Why don’t we stay an extra day and you can bring me home on Thursday?” I like the way this lady thinks. We’ll do a WDW trip together just fine.

We went to FL to visit my grandparents last year with my DS9 and detoured to WWoHP and we had a great trip. She’s real go with the flow and is totally fine letting me plan everything, trusting my judgement.

At this point, I was somewhere in between this (the way I look at guacamole):
bruce_zpsbsnzf2uj.gif
and this (the way I feel when I'm allowed to plan to my heart's contentment):

excellent_zps8gr6dnro.gif

Now, my mother and I have never been anywhere together alone. Which is the reason for the 2nd part of the title of this report. We weren’t very close when I was a teenager and we’ve had a few issues over the years, but as we’ve both aged, we’ve come to this strange understanding where we can have actual conversations … like grown-ups (go figure). I have grown to like her very much. I know that may sound strange but I didn’t use to like her at all. I thought she was weird and flaky and often wondered how I came from her. She is certainly quirky but she’s also cute, funny and we really get along well.

So, without further ado, here are the W’s for this trip:

Who: Me – Megan – full-time commercial underwriter for an insurance company (my day usually consists of insuring multi-million dollar transactions with jerks who want me to give them insurance for things that are illegal. I like telling them no); part-time graduate student; mom to my sweet, spunky and hilarious DS-10; wife to DH who works in the craft beer industry (I’m a beer snob, by proxy) and dog mom to two extremely adorable yet naughty beagles, Ahsoka and Bill. We live near Charlotte, NC.

Disney facts: likes Moana, Tigger :tigger:and Merida but loves Pixar (especially Disgust from Inside Out) and can’t wait for Incredibles 2.
disgust_zpsgv7trjdr.png

Favorite rides: Space Mountain, Expedition Everest and PeopleMover

Here's me & DS from our trip last year:
usonferry_zpswsrqukee.jpg

Mom – Debi – has two children, other than me, and six grandchildren. Physical Therapist, by training, but has DJD (degenerative joint disease) on top of rheumatoid arthritis and can’t do the work she loves anymore. She is LITERALLY falling apart – she’s bionic in both knees, one hip, one shoulder, several fingers and two places in her spine. Mom is currently in a pain management clinical trial, testing out some cool new RA drug. It’s helped her quite a bit as she was in constant pain for years. I just don’t know how she (or anyone else with chronic pain) does it. I’m not a wimp but I don’t think I’d be a very nice person if I was always in pain and she manages to not only be pretty pleasant, but also positive about it.
Mom lives in Charleston, SC and I’ll be swinging by to get her on the way down to FL.

Disney facts: likes Tigger :tigger:but loves Stitch :stitch2:. Hasn’t been WDW since 1987!!!

Here's mom from same trip last year:
MomOnFerry_zpsmo9zaagg.jpg

What: a runDisney trip turned into a mom-daughter getaway

When: April 20-26, 2018

Where: We are (currently) booked into All-Star Sports, preferred room

Why: I’m running the First Order Challenge and we’re celebrating mom’s BIG 60th b-day! :cake:

good%20good_zpsnofmnyko.jpg

older%20meme_zpsyt7j7idr.jpg

Daily schedule posted next!

P.S. I like Star Wars memes :chewy: :darth:

4/20 – Friday
Leave NC early, pick up Mom, drive to FL
Expo @ WWoS then drive to resort
Dinner:
Maya Grill
In bed EARLY!

4/21 - Saturday – SW Dark Side 10k (5:30am) & MK (PM)
10k - finish, back to resort, grab coffee/food, shower and rest, foam roll, wake up Mom
To MK
Lunch: Crystal Palace
FP plans: BTMRR, 7DMT & Space Mtn.
Dinner: something QS or maybe another ADR

in bed EARLY AGAIN!

4/22 - Sunday – SW Dark Side Half Marathon (5:30am) &
HS (PM)
Half - finish, back to resort, grab coffee/food, shower and rest, foam roll, wake up Mom
To
HS
Lunch: Sci Fi
FP plans: ToT, Star Tours, TSMM
Dinner: 50's PT
Maybe add SW dessert party?
SW fireworks!! 9pm

4/23 – Monday – EP
FP plans: Soarin’, Spaceship Earth, Mission: Space - Other rides: Test Track
Lunch: Flower & Garden carts
or Les Halles
Dinner: Spice Road Table
Illuminations 9pm

4/24 – Tuesday – AK

Rides: Na’vi River Journey, Tree of Life, Dinosaur
Bus to AKL – Kidani - Lunch: Sanaa
Back to AK
FP plans: Flight of Passage, EE, Safari
Dinner: Satu’li Canteen
Rivers of Light 8:45pm

4/25 – Wednesday – MK
Lunch: Skipper Canteen
FP: Space Mtn., 7DMT, BTMRR
Dinner: something QS?

Snagged a late O'hana ADR, but I may cancel it if I can't get a better time (it conflicts with HEA)
Happily Ever After 9pm

4/26 – Thursday
Check out of resort, drive to AK
Breakfast:
Boma
Drive home :sad:

Last edited:

Hi, we are going around the same time. My daughter and I so also a mom/daughter trip, we do them often. Our dates are 4/24-4/29. I haven’t made much plans yet, your plans look good. How exciting for the Disney run events for you.

Following along, I am going for an adults only trip this time too, with my friend from childhood. It's her first rundisney, but we are just doing the 5K this go-around. Looking forward to a kid free Disney trip! Our dates are 4/18-22.

We're doing a adult only trip room April we actually only just came back from 3wks in Florida over Xmas with the kids, and my mum who is 83!
She says every yr it will be her last trip, but she keeps returning, I do really Think that this was it though, as we come from the UK and it's a long flight.
Anyway husband is deployed in August, and missing our 10yr wedding anniversary! So when he saw the starwars challenge he said he wanted to do it, as part of his pre deployment fitness,
So were coming to Disney alone, the kids are 13, 13 and 15 and dont reslly mind at all.
We will be there April 19th to the 1st May.
Husbands first run anywhere.

Hi, we are going around the same time. My daughter and I so also a mom/daughter trip, we do them often. Our dates are 4/24-4/29. I haven’t made much plans yet, your plans look good. How exciting for the Disney run events for you.

Following along, I am going for an adults only trip this time too, with my friend from childhood. It's her first rundisney, but we are just doing the 5K this go-around. Looking forward to a kid free Disney trip! Our dates are 4/18-22.

We're doing a adult only trip room April we actually only just came back from 3wks in Florida over Xmas with the kids, and my mum who is 83!
She says every yr it will be her last trip, but she keeps returning, I do really Think that this was it though, as we come from the UK and it's a long flight.
Anyway husband is deployed in August, and missing our 10yr wedding anniversary! So when he saw the starwars challenge he said he wanted to do it, as part of his pre deployment fitness,
So were coming to Disney alone, the kids are 13, 13 and 15 and dont reslly mind at all.
We will be there April 19th to the 1st May.
Husbands first run anywhere.

Thank you for following along!

ETA: Schedule changes in preparation for FP on 2/19! (See post above)

:cloud9: Exciting news to share: I just got my first AP this past weekend while at the Princess Half! HOORAY! :D

Updated with FP+ & some additional ADRs that I've made because I can't make up my mind. :rolleyes2

4/20 – Friday - travel/arrival/Expo

- Leave NC – pick up Mom, drive to FL – lunch on the road
- Expo @ WWoS 10am-7pm
- Dinner: Maya Grill 6:30pm

4/21 - Saturday – SW Dark Side 10k & MK
- Lunch: Crystal Palace 1:05pm
- FP: BTMRR 3-4pm; Peter Pan 4:15-5:15pm; SDMT 5:15-6:15
- Dinner: something QS - pick up on the way out or at resort

4/22 - Sunday – SW Dark Side Half Marathon & HS – Earth Day
- Lunch: Sci-Fi 1:35pm
- FP: Star Tours 2:40-3:40pm; RnR 4:10-5:10pm; ToT 5:15-6:15pm - there were NO TSMM FP so I guess that it'll be shut down?
- Dinner: 50’s PT 6:25pm
- Meet Chewy, Kylo & BB-8 at SW Launch Bay
- Disney Movie Magic 8:55pm - SW Fireworks 9:15pm

4/23 – Monday – EP
- Test Track - single rider
- FP: Soarin’ 10:30-11:30am; Spaceship 11:45-12:45pm; Mission 12:55-1:55pm
- Meet Joy & Sadness, shopping
- Lunch: QS and/or Flower & Garden carts
- PM: tour World Showcase, ride Frozen
- Dinner: Spice Road Table 6:40pm
- Illuminations 9pm

4/24 – Tuesday – AK

- Na’vi River Journey, Tree of Life, Safari, Jungle Trek, Flights of Wonder
- Breakfast: Tusker House 10:30am
- Lunch: Sanaa 12:50pm
- FP: FoP 2:55-3:55pm, EE 4:35-5:35pm, Safari 6:10-7:10pm
- Dinner: Cape May 8:30pm

4/25 – Wednesday – MK
- Pirates, Splash, Jungle Cruise, BTMRR, Haunted Mansion, Muppets, Philharmagic
- Lunch: BoG 11:25am - Skipper Canteen 12:50pm
- FP: 7DMT 1:45-2:45pm, Space 2:55-3:55pm, Buzz 4-5pm
- Little Mermaid, Pooh, Peoplemover, Carousel
- Dinner: something QS & snacks - O’hana 8:40pm
- HEA 8:55pm

4/26 – Thursday - departure/travel
- Breakfast: Boma 8:45am
- Drive home ☹ drop off Mom

Hey I was just looking around for a PTR from someone who was going the same time as the wife and I. we are going to be in the bubble 4/18 (midnight ugh) till 4/23. We are also doing the Dark side Challenge, actually the Kessel run Did you not sign up for that?

Another thing in common, I lived in Greensboro for about 5 years before moving back home to St.Louis. I miss the weather there, it's really great. Plus being 3 hours away from mountains or ocean.

My wife keeps encouraging me to take my mom on a Disney trip, since we became DVC and we have some points to spare, but I just can't imagine spending days with my mom and not having anyone else there. I like my mom but still I just can't imagine having so much time just one on one.

Are you dressing up for the challenge? My wife has really gotten me to go beyond what I would have normally done. Progression is as follows.
Me: After the princess, I don't think I'm going to do anymore 1/2's. It's just too rough on my joints (45 at the time)

Wife: are you interested in doing the Dark side run in april? me: I'll do the 10 K. Wife: ok I'll book DVC

Wife: (DVC booked) Uh Oh... the 10 K is sold out. Me: (after much internal debate) fine I'll do the half, but seriously that's it.

Wife: So with runs cancelled in DL they are letting people do a virtual light side 1/2 marathon, want to do the Kessel run? Me: virtual? so there won't be any extra running? Wife: no and it is an honor system so we are basically just paying extra for the medals? Me: Fine sign me up.

Wife: So I'm really considering the Dark side challenge with some of my not team run Disney friends, are you sure you don't want to sign up? Me: (after running a good 5 k and feeling good) Yeah sure why not it won't be that hard....(one day later after signing up) What have I done?

So yeah from never again to biggest challenge yet. Should be fun though And now somehow she convinced me it will be fun to dress up?!?! So I will be running in a kilt for the first time but no mask or anything to outlandish...for now that is.

Hey I was just looking around for a PTR from someone who was going the same time as the wife and I. we are going to be in the bubble 4/18 (midnight ugh) till 4/23. We are also doing the Dark side Challenge, actually the Kessel run Did you not sign up for that?

Another thing in common, I lived in Greensboro for about 5 years before moving back home to St.Louis. I miss the weather there, it's really great. Plus being 3 hours away from mountains or ocean.

My wife keeps encouraging me to take my mom on a Disney trip, since we became DVC and we have some points to spare, but I just can't imagine spending days with my mom and not having anyone else there. I like my mom but still I just can't imagine having so much time just one on one.

Are you dressing up for the challenge? My wife has really gotten me to go beyond what I would have normally done. Progression is as follows.
Me: After the princess, I don't think I'm going to do anymore 1/2's. It's just too rough on my joints (45 at the time)

Wife: are you interested in doing the Dark side run in april? me: I'll do the 10 K. Wife: ok I'll book DVC

Wife: (DVC booked) Uh Oh... the 10 K is sold out. Me: (after much internal debate) fine I'll do the half, but seriously that's it.

Wife: So with runs cancelled in DL they are letting people do a virtual light side 1/2 marathon, want to do the Kessel run? Me: virtual? so there won't be any extra running? Wife: no and it is an honor system so we are basically just paying extra for the medals? Me: Fine sign me up.

Wife: So I'm really considering the Dark side challenge with some of my not team run Disney friends, are you sure you don't want to sign up? Me: (after running a good 5 k and feeling good) Yeah sure why not it won't be that hard....(one day later after signing up) What have I done?

So yeah from never again to biggest challenge yet. Should be fun though And now somehow she convinced me it will be fun to dress up?!?! So I will be running in a kilt for the first time but no mask or anything to outlandish...for now that is.

Hey! Thank you for reading along. Yep, I'm doing Kessel too. Looking forward to all that bling!

I think it'll be fine with my mom. She told me yesterday she's very EXCITED to go on this trip. So that's good! I've been feeling a little stressed about the planning, though. She has completely left it up to me. She looked at the plan I have written out and it went like:

me: hey, take a look at the trip plan I emailed you. let me know what you think.
her: (12 hours later) I got your trip plan and you are too funny. the level of detail and planning is phenomenal! you know, when I was your age, I was an over-planner too.
me: (I had to laugh) thanks, mom. at least I know that you appreciate my over-planning and I now see exactly where I'll be in 25 years.
:upsidedow

I'm not really dressing up, but I am wearing SW running tops with sparkle skirts :) that's about as dressed up as I will go. Is your wife trying to do a matching costume or something? That could be fun :duck:

I think the rD bug bites hard. Really hard. This is my first challenge so we'll see how it goes!

Quick update: we're now at 22 days to go!!! Yay!

Here's a couple pics of my Princess trip in Feb.

medal_zps2sgjykkm.jpeg

Disney hair, don't care

donald_zpsvofidoib.jpeg

Donald selfie

and a third pic of what happened yesterday!

magicbands_zps5kx9pwyd.jpeg

9 days! :hyper:

SINGLE DIGIT DANCE!!!! :dogdance:

No real updates to share. Just excitement! I got me and mom seashell pendants to for our pick a pearls. I have my packing list going. Just printed out my room request fax for Monday morning. We're in the home stretch!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!