A Fifth Park

AlVan

Earning My Ears
Speculation broke out in the latest DIS episode about a fifth park to compete with Universal’s upcoming third. What would you like/expect to see in a fifth park?

I don't think a 5th park is warranted right now. Rather see them expand the existing parks. MK is the only true full day park. I rather see them expand HS, AK, and EPCOT (like they're already doing) and make them full day parks.

No idea how you'd theme a 5th gate either. If they could get the Marvel rights back that could possibly work. Honestly I think they could create a 5th gate just based off Star Wars and it would do pretty well.

I don't think a 5th park is warranted right now. Rather see them expand the existing parks. MK is the only true full day park. I rather see them expand HS, AK, and EPCOT (like they're already doing) and make them full day parks.

No idea how you'd theme a 5th gate either. If they could get the Marvel rights back that could possibly work. Honestly I think they could create a 5th gate just based off Star Wars and it would do pretty well.

I agree. Disney's dance card is pretty full right now in terms of refurbishment and additions.

I still think they should build a Muppet Land, and really make Rafiki's Planet Watch something great.

In my opinion, a 5th park conversation is probably at least 3 years down the road (after the anniversary, and everything is done).

If there was ever going to be a 5th gate there or a 3rd gate here, it would have been Star Wars most likely, perhaps Pixar and or maybe a Marvel gate in CA. Since those have gone into existing parks a la Galaxy Edge, Pixar Pier, Toy Story Land, the new Superhero area in DCA, etc, I just don't see if happening.

Not to mention the big headliners WDW is getting like Tron, which would have been a great headliner in a new park. While I see continuing improvements and new rides, I don't see a massive money dump of another gate level in domestic parks for some time.

Bob Iger has taken far bigger risk and done far bigger things, if he had wanted to, he would have. This tells me Iger is currently and has always been a no on the idea. The next Disney park or gate will be international, I would even say the next three.

Last edited:
Id love to see them actually build the proposed but now dead Beastly Kingdom. All SORTS of opportunities for all KINDS of "mythical and mystical" stuff, and even plenty of opportunity, IMHO, for what would be a VERY popular Villains land/area!!

Last edited:
I agree. Disney's dance card is pretty full right now in terms of refurbishment and additions.

I still think they should build a Muppet Land, and really make Rafiki's Planet Watch something great.

In my opinion, a 5th park conversation is probably at least 3 years down the road (after the anniversary, and everything is done).

well, a new park would take minimum 3 years to build (that is how long EPCOT took) so I think you are looking at 2025 at the earliest (3 years after EPCOTs 40th which a lot of construction there is building towards)

Not sure if a 5th gate really solves everything as increased crowds will come to that ... like how a fish will grow to fit the size of it's tank.

Plus, even when they build new things elsewhere, MK is still always going to be the most crowded (unless they build a 2nd MK or something)

My idea for a 5th park would be something that has an element of Walt's original plan for EPCOT in that it would partly be an actual community - with hotels / condos / apartments actually inside the theme park - just imagine what they could charge for them ... and then at least part of it would be enclosed

Then you do the different "lands" themed to different seasons (so those living there get to experience the different seasons). and you have the areas decorated for the holidays that fit with that season, and then IP that fits as well ... so one area that is like late fall/early winter can have The Nightmare before Christmas and then a summer area can have like Moana and other beach themed areas (and include a water park) and some Muppets with Sam the Eagle for 4th of July ... stuff like that

If there was ever going to be a 5th gate there or a 3rd gate here, it would have been Star Wars most likely, perhaps Pixar and or maybe a Marvel gate in CA.
IP specific parks make 0 sense IMO. If they were going to do that they would've already. You are fixating on one demographic such as a Star Wars fan. Not everyone likes SW which means they won't go to that park. Well rounded parks do much better.

I think we will get one, but not for at least 15+ years. Think about what they've done this decade... a major refurb of Magic Kingdom + the upcoming refurb of Tomorrowland, a major expansion of Animal Kingdom, and a major refurb/expansion of Hollywood Studios (soon to be finished). Now, Epcot will be getting its massive refurb to be completed within the next 3-4 years. So every park has had, is currently having, or will have a major refurb or expansion. And THEN... there's the rumored plans of expanding Pandora or a new land in Animal Kingdom somewhere down the line (Indiana Jones? Zootopia? Australia?), and another expansion of Hollywood Studios (Cars Land? Monsters Inc.?) in the future. So all of this is going to be taking place within the next 10+ years. And then AFTER that, if crowds continue to increase, and Disney feels that they still need somewhere to put all these people during the day, THEN we'll see a 5th gate.

All that being said, if a recession hits, consider the 5th gate dead.

And can I also add... fantastic show today. Great discussions and hilarious.

I think we will get one, but not for at least 15+ years. Think about what they've done this decade... a major refurb of Magic Kingdom + the upcoming refurb of Tomorrowland, a major expansion of Animal Kingdom, and a major refurb/expansion of Hollywood Studios (soon to be finished). Now, Epcot will be getting its massive refurb to be completed within the next 3-4 years. So every park has had, is currently having, or will have a major refurb or expansion. And THEN... there's the rumored plans of expanding Pandora or a new land in Animal Kingdom somewhere down the line (Indiana Jones? Zootopia? Australia?), and another expansion of Hollywood Studios (Cars Land? Monsters Inc.?) in the future. So all of this is going to be taking place within the next 10+ years. And then AFTER that, if crowds continue to increase, and Disney feels that they still need somewhere to put all these people during the day, THEN we'll see a 5th gate.

All that being said, if a recession hits, consider the 5th gate dead.

And can I also add... fantastic show today. Great discussions and hilarious.
But then they will need to add to MK again, and then AK, and DHS, and Epcot... Its an endless cycle. I just don't think a 5th gate is feasible even without a recession. Vacation time people get keeps dwindling as well.

But then they will need to add to MK again, and then AK, and DHS, and Epcot... Its an endless cycle. I just don't think a 5th gate is feasible even without a recession. Vacation time people get keeps dwindling as well.

Yeah you make a good point, I just think that if crowds continue to increase Disney will almost have no choice but to add another park. But yeah it ain't happening within the next 20 years.

And speaking of Universal's third park, rhere are only two things that would ever get me to Universal: a Mario/Nintendo Land or if they ever somehow get the rights to do a Lord of the Rings park.

And speaking of Universal's third park, rhere are only two things that would ever get me to Universal: a Mario/Nintendo Land or if they ever somehow get the rights to do a Lord of the Rings park.

I agree. If Nintendo land is done right, I'll be a game-changer in Orlando. Nintendo spans multiple generations. I'd also argue Nintendo has a wider appeal for the general audience than Star Wars, and I'm a fan of both.

Then you do the different "lands" themed to different seasons (so those living there get to experience the different seasons). and you have the areas decorated for the holidays that fit with that season, and then IP that fits as well ... so one area that is like late fall/early winter can have The Nightmare before Christmas and then a summer area can have like Moana and other beach themed areas (and include a water park) and some Muppets with Sam the Eagle for 4th of July ... stuff like that

I LOVE the Catskills / New York in the Fall, and always thought an expansion in a park or to the Wilderness Lodge with that theme would provide an area which give people immersion in Autumn. Look how popular MNSSHP is in mid-August. The only IP I could think of that would fit would be The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (Ichabod of course), but I'm sure Imagineers would come up with something.

The seasons idea would also be a good way to fit in IP without being the whole area being all about the IP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter