A few questions about ECV rental!

Goofys

Earning My Ears
I've been reading this board for a while now and have found the info. great. I just have few questions! My family is going to WDW in October, and while DM can walk, the doc has told her she won't be able to run around the parks for a week. She was a bit upset, but is happy to be going. WE are going to rent an ECv from one of the companies, but how soon in advance to have to make these arangements? Should I call now and reserve one, or should I wait? I assume you have to put some sort of deposit down or something for security. Do any of the companies take Debit Cards? Should we take her wheel chair with us or will we be able to get one at the hotel if necessary for check in and things like that.

Sorry there are so many questions. Mom is VERy stubborn, and doesn't really want to this. She will try and walk the parks, but if it is there and paid for she will use it, and it will make the trip so much better!! So any tips you can give me to convince her would be helpful as well.

Thanks for you help!!

-- Dave :)

goofynewyear.jpg

I know when I use Walker Med they ask for a credit card number when I reserve the ECV but it is not charged to my account until the day it is delivered. I would call out a couple of months ahead to reserve. The ECV is usually waiting for me at the registration desk but if you are worried about it I would reserve a wheelchair at your resort as well.
Once your mother realizes how independent she can be with the ECV I'm sure she'll love it.

Nanajo DVC 8/98

Offsite 5/78
Contemp 11/85
BWV 3/99
OKW 11/99
BWV 3/01
OKW 11/01

Nanajo gave you the first hand testimonial. Here are some contact phone numbers and web addresses:
Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
Also lists respiratory equipment

WDW RESORTS/SPECIAL RESERVATIONS
(407) 939-7807 [voice]
(407) 939-7670 [TTY]]

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

I have used an ECV from Walker more than once and have been very satisfied. They will deliver to the lobby of your hotel - you just tell them the day you will be arriving. We have even stayed in an offsite house and Walker delivered to the rental office. We always rent a van so have no problem traveling around the area with the ECV in the back. If you are staying onsite, they have buses that are set up for handicap. You have to drive the ECV unto the ramp for the bus.

One tip would be to go to a mall or your local KMart or Target and practice on the ECV. I did not practice before I went, but had no problem operating the ECV. A good deal of your stores not have a few for their shoppers. I have used them on occasion when we are going for more than a quick one or two things.

Pat

I agree with all the posts......As Nanajo said, the independence you feel will be well worth it....As for calling to reserve, I've done it both ways. I've called a couple months ahead of time, and also, called the week before. Either way, Walker has always been very obliging. They will have the ECV at your hotel when you check in. Just tell the front desk and they'll get it for you.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter