• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A/E Reward Points Car Rental Certificate

MickeyCrazed

DIS Veteran
Has anyone used their American Express Points for a National Car Rental certificate?
If so, were their any restrictions? Can I still use the DC Contract Code when making my reservation?
Just want to make sure I am not wasting the points before I cash them in. TIA!
:D

I'm also investigating this right now. The info I've gotten from National it that you cannot use ANY discounts with an AmEx Membership Rewards voucher. So, although the web site says that the rate for an Economy car is $25.00 per day, you can't get that rate. The rate quoted when using AmEx vouchers is $37.99 per day!!!! So it seems to me that the value of the vouchers is not even close to the value stated. What a rip off!

Hi! I have used my certificates a few times for National and Hertz rentals. They are great, because all you have to pay is the tax and surcharges. When I didn't have enough money for an entire rental, I used the certs. and just had to pay taxes. I think the last time I paid $75 in taxes for a ten day rental.

It is true that you have to call the number listed to book with an Amex cert. you don't get discounts with the cert, but it was okay with me, because it was all the less money I had to shell out for the trip. Make sure you order the certs in time. They take a while to reach you, and I had a problem with Amex not processing the transaction completely. The certs were never sent. I called from the resort, and asked that they be sent to the resort. They weren't sent again. For a $35 fee, used to be only $20, you can have them expedited. Otherwise, they take 15 to 20 *business* days.

I guess I would add that if you can get a good, really good, deal without the certs, don't use them. If you can't afford to pay for the rental without using the certs, no matter how the price might be, use them. I think when I have used them the difference in the total rental price with the certs was about $100 over the price without them. That was okay with me, because I didn't have the extra $350 for the rental. I did have points to use!

Let me know how it goes.

Thank you both for the information.
I think I will use the points for another type of transaction. I only have enough to cover $100 of the rental, so if the rental price goes up by $100, I am not seeing any type of benefit at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter