A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes - A Solo Trip RE-DO (Dec. 2019) - and a Big Family Trip (Jan 2020) (Pre-Trip) Report (updated 11/03/19)

TexanInTheMidwest

DIS Veteran
NOTE: Rather than delete and start all over again, I am just adding to the same trip report with all the new info.

How to begin to tell the story... I guess as all stories begin:

Once upon a time....there was a girl who loved all things Disney. As a little girl, she loved all things Disney. She remembers getting all the classics on LP and listening to hours and hours of Disney Stories on her trusty record player. And since I had the MMC Album, watching the original Mickey Mouse Club with reruns of Annette, Jimmy Dodd and the gang were a joy. (I knew all the songs)

I still think I should have been a Mouseketeer in the NEW Mickey Mouse Club with Julie, Lisa, and the gang ;-)

MeChristmasAge6.jpg

So, before I go too much further into my tale, I'll introduce you to the CURRENT Me:

A life coach and writer by day. A type-A planner. Empty Nester with two DD who are Flown and Grown.

20190106_135227-768x1024.jpg

This is me sitting on the patio at Tony's last year as I waited for DH to join me...and we waited for the parade to go by.

I still love all things Disney

Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite Ride: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
Favorite Princess: Mulan. or Belle.
Favorite Character: Classic Mickey & Minnie. And Pooh.
Favorite Resort: I love both the Contemporary and GF for different reasons

As our story continues....because she loved Disney so much and her DH loved her, they've gone to Disney 3 times in the last 8 years. Most recent have been the back to back trips in Jan. 2018 (CR) and 2019 (Jan. 2019)

20190106_172841-768x1024.jpg

And then, he enjoyed the Royal Palm Club at GF so much, he invited his entire family to join us in Jan. 2020 to celebrate his mom's 90th - as our guests - in the main building of the Grand Floridian. This trip will include his mom, his three sisters, most of their spouses, most of their children, and all of the grandchildren. In total, if everyone goes, there will be 18 of us. I booked 4 rooms back in late January (2019) for the big trip.

LRM_EXPORT_8608469367962_20190105_171948218-768x1024.jpeg

Now, to be honest, I enjoy planning. (And research has shown that you can get as much pleasure out of planning and anticipating something as actually doing it).

Yet, to be a little vulnerably honest here among friends, I am not close to any of DH's sisters. Though we are in our 50's and 60's, I think they believed their brother would be a bachelor his whole life. So, when I came along nine years ago, it was a bit of a change in everyone's "role" in the family, so to speak. And though we have had our moments over the last nine years, I'm still on the outside of the circle in many ways.

To say that has put a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm and desire to help everyone have a smooth and stress-free vacation is an understatement. I know how stressful this can be to plan...and since we have 4 generations - especially for the 4 Mama's with kiddos. (There will be 7 under 12 - including two 3-year-olds and a 1-year old)

However, my emails with information about the trip (like how to book dining reservations since our 180 window is upon us) have been met with...shall we say "Bless Her Heart" politeness. (those of you from the South know what I mean 😜 )

But let's not digress too much.

Just know that it put the wish in my heart to go to a beloved space without worrying if our guests are having a good time. Or that these people that are so loved by my DH (and by me to be honest) are judging my delight and choices at loving the magical spaces....

20190107_224733-e1562507905984-768x1024.jpg

DH travels a lot for business (He works for the DoD) And though I often travel with him, this year has been different. He's gone on some last-minute trips that didn't give us much time for me to plan to go with (such as Madrid last Jan/Feb). And places where the State Dept travel advisory isn't "green" (such as an upcoming trip to South America).
His international trips are 14 to 17 days long. And that gets a little isolating and lonely. Both DD's live in other states as does the rest of my family. And since I work from home, when he travels, I tend to work WAY too many hours.

I had mentioned to a girlfriend that I was thinking of running away to Disney when he was on his next trip. I've been halfheartedly stalking reservation availability at CR, GF, and BWI. I have loved the convenience of walking to the parks (or being a quickie boat launch away). AND I still have one more park day on my ticket from January (DH is retired Military so we have Salute Tickets which are good through Dec. 19th)

And then, last week, she emailed me. She is a DVC member and has 100+ points expiring on Oct. 1st that they are not going to use. So, rather than let them just be forfeited, could she gift them to me?

Though my SIL's may not love me, my friends sure do.

I gave her my guidelines - telling her I could travel anytime between Sept. 2nd and Sept. 13th. And then gave her my wish list of where I'd want to stay. And despite it being less then 65 days from check in, she forwarded me my reservation for 4 nights at Bay Lake Tower in a 1BR Villa. Within minutes, I was able to connect the reservation to My Disney Experience profile.

This will be my 7th Trip to WDW. One as a child (1979). Two as a Mama to Littles (1994 & 2000). Three with DH (2012, 2018, 2019).

AND I feel like this:

IMG_20190207_141435_985-1024x1024.jpg

Full of GIDDY Excitement.

So, come along for the fun as I share my planning....and how I am seizing this wish come true.

Last edited:
Planning So Far

Last edited:
First let's talk DINING.

IMG_20180106_141056-e1562515314295.jpg

(The Famous Cobb Salad at the Brown Derby Lounge in Hollywood Studios - Jan. 2018)

With less than 68 days to plan, I know that a lot of the dining reservations have been snagged. And, I hear that it's hard to make solo reservations at some restaurants. My girlfriend also reminds me that Food & Wine Festival will be going on during my stay.

When we stayed at the GF in January, we ended up cancelling 80% of our ADRs. We were staying at club level and to be honest that was enough for for us most of the time. We only at out when we were just a bit too far from the GF to make it easy to come back for a bit 😉

Though I haven't yet pulled the trigger, I am contemplating adding the Disney Dining Plan for pure ease. I can use a lot of the snack credits at the F&W Booths. DH isn't a huge fan of Quick Service, but I am more flexible. And sitting down to a table for a meal is always a good thing in my book.

Also, since I am staying in a 1BR Villa, I know I will have a fridge and coffee pot. So, I'll have coffee in the room in the mornings. and stock some morning-type snacks along with lots of bottled water. With so many EXTRA extra Magic hours at the parks, I'd rather be UP and Out in the cooler morning hours.

Monday, Sept. 2nd - ARRIVAL Day

I would like to make this 1st day kind of special....and though I looked at the Halloween Party, I am leaning towards the Highway in the Sky Dine-around. Yes, it's a bit pricey. However, it stops and starts at the CR so it's super convenient. AND I can see the Halloween Party Fireworks. It also gives me an opportunity to meet fellow diners as we travel from place to place.

Tuesday, Sept. 3rd

Since I am contemplating the Dining Plan, I booked a lunch at BE Our Guest at 11:30. which is considered QS for lunch. With the Extra-Extra Magic Hours, MK opens at 7 AM, so if I go for that, I'll be ready for a nice break around then.

I was able to snag a 7:40 PM Reservation at Tokyo Dining. Hopefully I will be able to see Illuminations (which we have skipped the last 2 years). And DH isn't a fan of Asian food. So, lots of opportunities to do things I haven't done in a long time.

Wednesday, Sept. 4th

I am going to go to AK today (more about that in my next post). So, I'm thinking Satu'li Canteen for lunch. I hear so many great things about it.

Right now, I have a 9:40 Reservation at California Grill. It was one of the reservations we cancelled last year (in favor of going to the After Hours at MK). This is a little late for me, to be honest, but I'm going to stalk the app to try to push it up. I also know that I could go just to the lounge earlier. However, they don't accept the dining plan in the lounge. Either way, we will wait and see.

Thursday, Sept. 5th

I have NO reservations for this day so far. I would like to try the Snow White Dining (but no reservations are currently available) and am thinking in general to go to F&W and snack around the world for lunch and/or dinner.

I am seeing an upside of being solo on this trip - no worries about people getting fed except on my own terms.

Friday, Sept. 6th (Departure Day)

I haven't booked airline yet, so I'm not sure what time I'll need to head to the airport. Most likely, I will plan a later flight so that I can at least go to MK in the early morning. AND I do love the breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe so that's another possibility.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this plan :mickeybar

Last edited:
Beginning to Make My Park Plans

Since DH is retired military, we are eligible for the 2019 Salute tickets. You can buy a max of 6 tickets per year and we've only purchased 2. Now, I still have one park hopper day on my ticket. And I toyed with using just that, buying a ticket to the Halloween Party, and then the MK DAH. When I did the math, though, it made more sense to just go ahead and order another ticket.

I have sent the proper forms to Shades of Green Ticket office this past week and am awaiting my call. Most likely, I won't have these tickets for another 7 to 10 days.

My 60 Day Window opened on July 4th.

Since I only have one day in my account, I decided to spend those at Animal Kingdom.

LRM_EXPORT_53921843915101_20190207_133052762.jpeg

I went to AK with the kiddos in 2000, where we mainly focused on Dinoland USA thanks to my oldest daughter's obsession with dinosaurs.

We didn't go to Animal Kingdom at all in 2012 or 2018.

And though we DID go to Animal Kingdom in 2019, we never made it to Pandora. See....it was chilly in the morning and despite my suggestions, DH wore long sleeves and jeans to AK. After visiting Dino-Land, Asia, and working our way through Africa to get to Pandora for our ANYTIME FP, he got overheated. He had to sit on the ground for a bit, sip some water, and so we just headed back to the GF to rest (we had DAH that evening).

SO, this is what I got for Wednesday, Sept 4th

9:25 AM - Safari (which I have never done)
1:05 PM - Flight of Passage (never done!) (1st FP I secured)
2:10 PM - Everest.

I am hoping to get on Navi River before FOP....and then, as I mentioned above, have lunch in Pandora at Satu'li Canteen

Though I haven't made any firm plans for the other days, this is what I'm tentatively thinking:

Monday, Sept. 2nd: - Arrival Day

Drop bags at BLT and walk over the MK. Hopefully I can get some FP's. And also hoping that most folks will be leaving WDW since it's Labor Day.

If I do the Highway in the Sky Dine around, that meets at 7 PM on Monday.

Tuesday, Sept. 3rd

MK for EXTRA Extra Magic Hours - with the plan to be there before 7 AM. Play in the parks, have lunch at BOG, make my way out for some rest.

Then do Epcot in the afternoon / evening.

Wednesday, Sept 4th.

After my AK day, I'll probably head back to the hotel to cool off. If I'm not tired/overheated I may go over to F&W or Hollywood Studios (far away from SWGE!)

Thursday, Sept. 5th

No plans as of yet. I MAY do Extra EXTRA Magic Hours at Hollywood studios. I have no real interest in Star Wars, but would like to enjoy Toy Story Land early and then wander the rest of the park before it gets crowded.

Then, take a friendship boat over to Epcot.... more F&W and maybe stuff we didn't do this past couple of years (Like Spaceship Earth, Frozen, etc.)

Friday, Sept 6th - Departure Day.

Not sure if I will go into MK super early or not. Wait and see.

Side Notes:

I have some friends that live in the area and I may schedule some time to meet them for coffee or something. Being a party of one feels very flexible in so many ways. And I'm shooting to do some things I haven't done. Or, at least, haven't done in awhile.

LOVE to know your thoughts. And thanks for following along

Hi! It sounds like this trip is just what you need while your hubby is away and while in the midst of planning the big family trip for January. It is nice that your friend shared her points with you and was able to reserve you a room in BLT.

I envy you the chance to just select restaurants that you want to try without having to think about what everyone else will eat.
Satu'il Canteen and California Grill are two places I would love to try.

I just love your teacups photo! It really captures the magic that is Disney. We are close in age, I, too grew up with Disney. I loved watching Wonderful World of Disney with my family and listening to Walt talk about his plans for the parks.

What days will you be in WDW in January with your family? I am heading down December 30-January 3. It will be my first time at Disney during the Christmas season. I can't wait to see Cinderella's castle with the beautiful lights.

Hi! It sounds like this trip is just what you need while your hubby is away and while in the midst of planning the big family trip for January. It is nice that your friend shared her points with you and was able to reserve you a room in BLT.

I envy you the chance to just select restaurants that you want to try without having to think about what everyone else will eat.
Satu'il Canteen and California Grill are two places I would love to try.

I just love your teacups photo! It really captures the magic that is Disney. We are close in age, I, too grew up with Disney. I loved watching Wonderful World of Disney with my family and listening to Walt talk about his plans for the parks.

What days will you be in WDW in January with your family? I am heading down December 30-January 3. It will be my first time at Disney during the Christmas season. I can't wait to see Cinderella's castle with the beautiful lights.

I am SO excited MDSouth! thanks for following along!! And I am so grateful to my friend....

Since I obsessively follow all the dining shows from The DIS and Disney Food Blog, I am looking forward to trying to different places.

DH took the teacup picture when we did DAH in January! He isn't a fan of the ride, but since it wasn't crowded, he could get his own teacup and not spin it 😜

We're checking in on Jan. 2nd. Most of the family is checking out on the 5th. DH and I are leaving on the 7th. We LOVED the castle at night - it was so magical all gussied up for Christmas. Most of the parks were still decked out... when we got the GF last year on the 5th, the tree was still up, but the gingerbread display was already gone. I'm hoping it will be up this year!!

TWO exciting developments since I was last here...

On Monday, I got my call from the SOG Ticket Office to confirm my 4-Day Military Salute pass. The way it works is you send in a signed form with all the pertinent info. And a few days later, a rep calls, confirms the order, and then gets the full credit card number. After that is done, you'll get an email from FedEx with the delivery information. You HAVE to sign for the package. And in my case, it is due to arrive tomorrow. Since I have appointments out of the office tomorrow, I went into FedEx and asked that it be delivered to one of their locations for pick up.

And tonight, I booked my airline ticket! This is REALLY Happening!

On a side note, DH's trip got changed a little. HE's only going to be gone now for 9 days instead of 17. And luckily, it's the same days I have booked. It's like I have a Fairy Godmother looking out for me 😁

TWO exciting developments since I was last here...

On Monday, I got my call from the SOG Ticket Office to confirm my 4-Day Military Salute pass.

And tonight, I booked my airline ticket! This is REALLY Happening!

On a side note, DH's trip got changed a little. HE's only going to be gone now for 9 days instead of 17. And luckily, it's the same days I have booked. It's like I have a Fairy Godmother looking out for me 😁

Wow! Quite a bit of development in just a few days. So glad your tickets are on their way. Then you can finish your fastpass selections.

You definitely did get a little pixie dust with the dates your DH will be gone matching up with your trip dates!

Wow! Quite a bit of development in just a few days. So glad your tickets are on their way. Then you can finish your fastpass selections.

You definitely did get a little pixie dust with the dates your DH will be gone matching up with your trip dates!

SO MUCH Pixie Dust. It's as if Tink, The Blue Fairy, and The Fairy Godmother are in this together 😉

There are so many good things happening in regards to this trip....Yet there is also the real world to contend with. Earlier this week, I was doing some editing for work and this photo came forward - it was shot last November in Orange Count by an amazing photographer - and the day before I spent the morning in Downtown Disney...unfortunately I didn't have the time to visit Disneyland (it's on my bucket list).

But I thought of this image when I was making my plans today - it's as if I'm being showered in pixie dust - line the way my necklace sparkles here....

DEBRASMOUSE_OCT_2018-5244.jpg

My Fed Ex delivery arrived today - and in it was my 4-Day Hopper. It was such sweet relief that it arrived. I am 53 Days OUT.

Adding my ticket to my profile was super easy. Last year, I had to call Signature Services for help..... Once I added my ticket I was off to check on Fast Passes.

I was able to snag the other two coveted fast passes:

Slinky Dog Dash and 7 Dwarfs Mine Train. They are at less-than-desired times. But I am trusting that it will all work out.

Once I checked and double checked that Slinky Dog was ONLY available on Thursday, Sept 5th - and 7 Dwarfs Mine Train ONLY on Tuesday, Sept 3rd, I began my planning....

As I mentioned before, I booked my flights yesterday. I am due to arrive at MCO at 10:15 AM. I am doing the Magical Express and was afraid to make any plans too terribly earlier. The only Fast Pass I snagged for Monday, Sept 2nd is a 4:30 PM with Mickey & Minnie at the Town Square Theatre. Since the birthday celebration for Mickey ends on Sept. 30th, I figure this is the best time to grab a photo with the pair.

I decided to commit to the Highway in the Sky Dine Around on Monday, Sept 2nd. know I will be tired on my first night (my flight leaves home at 5:30 AM). And being able to begin and end so close to my room is a good thing. This will also mean seeing the Halloween Party Fireworks. And though I was tempted to buy a ticket to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, I know I'll be ready for bed sooner than later.

Tuesday, Sept 3rd begins at the Magic Kingdom

There is a 7 AM Extra Extra Magic Hours that morning...and with being a morning person...and a hop, skip, jump away...am planning on going to MK ASAP. Here's the updated plans:

8:30 AM - Splash Mountain
9:40 AM - Big Thunder
11:40 AM - Lunch at Be Our Guest
4:05 PM - 7 Dwarfs Mine Train

Then, back to the hotel to change into fresh clothes (though I may take a break after lunch). AND then over to Epcot.

7:40 PM Dinner at Tokyo Dining with the plans for watching Illuminations!

More of my planning later....as for now that pixie dust is getting in my eyes and making me OH so Sleepy.

Happy Sunday! Only 50 Days until my trip!

There have been so many things happening work wise that it (gasp) took priority over planning for Disney trip. Because I am self-employed, part of getting ready for this trip involves setting some things up ahead of time. (Like blog posts, social media posts, and my newsletter). That - and trying to snag additional fast passes - has been taking ALL my brain power. And attention.

If there's one piece of advice I could give anyone planning a Disney vacation, it's this: keep stalking the My Disney Experience App.

I was able to shift a couple of fast passes AND snag 7 Dwarfs Mine Train Fast past on my 1st day...although it is going to be a bit tight.

Here's the update for Arrival Day - Monday, Sept 2nd

I arrive MCO at 10:15 AM. This after beginning at 5:30 AM at home and connecting in Charlotte.

Take the Magical Express to Bay Lake Tower. We have always driven so this will be a new experience. I am curious how it works, though, since we have some family that will be using it in January. The plan is to drop my bags and then head straight to MK. I will say that the ability to walk to MK is one just one of the things I loved about staying at the Contemporary in 2018.

7 Dwarfs Mine Train Fast Pass: I got a FP for 12:35 to 1:35. I am concerned this is too early....and will keep stalking the APP to push it a little later. But, how could I resist when it was the ONLY FP for my favorite ride?

To WATCH the Parade or NOT Watch the Parade on my 1st day? It begins at 2 PM. In 2018, we had lunch on the patio at Tony's and watched the parade. It was DH's ONLY request for our Jan 2019 trip - and for our upcoming family trip in Jan 2020. So, this has been the only view of the Festival of Fantasy Parade.... Since one of my goals is to do things I haven't done before, it's a possibility....

20190106_153325-e1563122407949.jpg

View of Festival of Fantasy Parade from Tony's patio in Jan. 2019

3:35 - 4:35 PM Fast Pass for Peter Pan. It's a classic. DH has no interest in riding it. And I'll be in Fantasy Land anyway... I rode it on my solo day in Jan. 2018

4:40 to 5:40 PM Fast Pass for Mickey & Minnie Meet & Greet at Town Hall. Again, something DH has no interest in doing. In fact, the Character Meet & Greets kinda freak him out. I can remember doing them with my kiddos when they were little. Besides, know that it's hard to get Mickey & Minnie in the same photo anywhere. And this Meet & Greet is scheduled to change after Sept. 30th.

IF I have time, I'd love to watch the daily Flag Retreat. We caught it last year and it's pretty special. With DH being in the Navy for so long, we are a pretty patriotic family. That's at 5 PM.

MK closes at 6 PM for a Halloween Party. And though I've never done it, it doesn't appeal to me a lot.

Then...head back to BLT, take a quickie shower, and settle in. AND get ready for my Dinner!

DINNER tonight is the Highway in the Sky Dine Around. It is a little pricey, so we shall see if it's worth it. Being solo but having some folks to join for dinner on my 1st night will be something nice. It's also super convenient. It begins at The Wave at 7 PM for pre-dinner cocktails, goes to the Poly for appetizers, and then for dinner at Citricos at the GF. It wraps up with dessert at the California Grill with a view of the Halloween Party Fireworks.

Nice to be able to then walk back to my room.

Thoughts on my 1st day plans?
Do you think I can make that 1st Fast Pass? Have you done the Highway in the Sky Dine Around? Have you stayed at BLT? Do they have half&half in the little store at the Contemporary for my morning coffee??

Last edited:
Your 7DMT FP may be cutting it close, but it's worth a try. I agree with you, stalking the FP app is a great way to get FP's as well as tweak times.
I'm a fan of Peter Pan too! It is a classic for sure.
I've not done the Highway in the Sky, but it sounds like a fabulous evening!!:cool1:

I think most of the resort shops have milk, I can't remember if I've seen half and half.
Sometimes I put some coffemate individual creamers (liquid kind) in a zipbag in my luggage to get me through the first morning or two.

You have some super plans for Day 1!:flower:

Last edited:
Your 7DMT FP may be cutting it close, but it's worth a try. I agree with you, stalking the FP app is a great way to get FP's as well as tweak times.
I'm a fan of Peter Pan too! It is a classic for sure.
I've not done the Highway in the Sky, but it sounds like a fabulous evening!!:cool1:

I think most of the resort shops have milk, I can't remember if I've seen half and half.
Sometimes I put some coffemate individual creamers (liquid kind) in a zipbag in my luggage to get me through the first morning or two.

You have some super plans for Day 1!:flower:

I am worried a little about making the FP - and trying to remind myself to keep trying AND that the end of my window may be just right.

And if no one has half-and-half, I can make do with milk. At home, I am spoiled and use whipping cream for my coffee.

On a side note, I AM excited about having the full coffee maker in BLT. This means that I can have my coffee in my room as I get ready! And it's already on my list of things to pack (filters, coffee, little container of sugar) :coffee:

48 Days and Counting!!

I have to confess that I'm enjoy the planning for this solo trip so much more than I am enjoying the planning of the big family trip in January. I was so looking forward to seeing all the littles at Disney. Yet, the lack of....shall we say gratitude or enthusiasm...from DH's sisters and nieces has made me feel a little blue about that trip. I talked to one of my best friends about that this morning (she happens to be a coach/therapist, too) and that helped me take a step back and try not to take the cold politeness (too terribly) personal.

She also told me that taking this trip was a very healthy way to deal with what feels a mix of being unappreciated and herding cats on the other trip. Because I DO enjoy planning (Hello, I am an ENTJ).

So, I'm going to remind myself of that often: my therapist says a solo trip to WDW is an emotionally healthy thing to do 🤣

But enough of that 😉

Today I checked two big things off my list:

• Set up Disney Magical Express (no need to rent a car!)
  • Added the Dining Plan
Now, I know that paying for the dining plan doesn't always make the best sense finance wise. However, I know that I can use Snack Credits for a lot of the Food & Wine booths. AND I know that I am more likely to just enjoy my meals rather than talk myself out of any of the more expensive reservations. I also like food. At home, I cook pretty much 7 days a week. So going out when traveling is a treat.

I also called the dining line today. ☎ Which was crazy since they announced free dining today and it took several attempts to get through - I was getting a busy signal or the ALL CIRCUITS ARE BUSY beep. However, the website was timing out AND some of my reservations had disappeared from My Plans in My Disney Experience.

NOTE: if you make reservations but they don't appear in your MY Disney Experience CALL TO CHECK before re-booking. I had 3 duplicate reservations that I thought didn't take for the same restaurants on the same days around the same time.

Here's the Updated Plans for Day 2 - Tuesday, Sept. 3rd

Though I want to MK on arrival day for a short time, I am heading BACK to MK on Tuesday.

Extra EXTRA Magic hours begin at 7 AM and since BLT is walk-able, I will most likely head there as soon as I am up and moving. I am a morning person and with or without an alarm, am usually up between 5:30 and 6:00. With the EXTRA Magic hours beginning so soon, I wonder what time I can get into the park?

I'm not quite sure what I'll do during the EXTRA Magic Hours. Maybe just walk slowly up Main Street and enjoy. Or grab a snack. Or maybe try for some of the Adventureland Rides (or Attractions - Hello TIKI Room I am looking at you.) Since I will have hopefully ridden 7DMT the day before AND have a Fast Pass for this afternoon, I probably won't rush there.

8:30 AM to 9:30 AM: Splash Mountain. Since we usually go in January, we've only ridden this once in the last couple of years. It's a delightful ride and though that's early to get wet, September in Florida is pretty warm!

9:35 AM to 10:35 AM: Big Thunder Mountain. Rather than bounce around all over the park, I decided to stay in Fronteirland. Now, this is DH's favorite ride

11:40 AM: Lunch at Be Our Guest. Looks to be one of the best uses of a QS Dining credit - and I hear great things about the food at lunch. I ate breakfast there during my solo day at MK in 2018, but some of the rooms were closed off. I'd like to check out The West Wing.

2:30 PM to 3:30 PM: 7 Dwarfs Mine Train. I could ride this one over and over again.

After 7 Dwarfs, it will be a toss up of how I feel, how HOT it is, and if the park is crowded. I'd love to be able to snag a FP for Frozen Ever After (which I've never done). There's also Food & Wine Festival to check out. AND to just wander around World Showcase and the Booths.

Wandering Around is NOT on DH's list of favorite things to do at Disney - he's rather go from FP to FP - and then stop for a drink somewhere 🍻 and watch the people. And Epcot is probably his least favorite park (we only had dinner there in Jan after a HS Day).

Dinner is at 7:30 PM at San Angel. It WAS going to be in Tokyo Dining, but my #1 goal is to get a good view of Illuminations and I've heard Tokyo Dining is so-so when it comes to the view. We've skipped it the last two years and haven't seen it since 2012. None of the other Illumination Views dining spots had availability. I will likely stalk the app a little more to see if Rose & Crown or Spice Roads Table comes up with a reservation.

AND when it comes to EXTRA Extra Magic Hours, Epcot is open until 11 PM tonight. I am not much of a late-night gal, but if the F&W booths are still open, I may see if there is something snagable to take back to the room for breakfast the next morning.

Thoughts on my 2nd day plans?
What time would you get to the park for a 7 AM Extra Magic Hours opening? Do they DO Rope Drop with morning EMH? What would you do from EMH til the 1st FP? With all the construction at Epcot, do you visit the front of the park anymore or just head back to World Showcase? And what's your favorite Food & Wine Book?

46 Days and Counting!!

Though I was planning to just re-use my Magic Band that I've had the last two years (plain red), after watching Disney Food Blog's video on Magic Bands (and hearing that the batteries in them can die - which isn't a problem when you tap but CAN be a problem when it comes to photos on the rides) I decided to go ahead and order a new one. The upgrades are available, so I got the Stars & Stripes One.

Here's the Updated Plans for Day 3 - Wednesday, Sept. 4th

The bulk of the day is devoted to ANIMAL KINGDOM!

20190107_123448-e1563122521808.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, we haven't spent a whole lot of time at Animal Kingdom in the last three trips. And I'm really looking forward to exploring

Extra EXTRA Magic hours begin at 7 AM. Not quite sure yet if I want to be there that early but it's nice to have options since I know it's going to be warm. AND it would be nice to get some things done before my 1st fast pass.

9:15 AM to 10:15 AM - Safari (which I have never done). I have been attempting to move this up a little earlier - preferably in the 8:30 AM range.

1:05 PM to 2:05 PM - Flight of Passage , SO excited for this. Especially since we were *this close* to riding in in January and had to leave.

2:10 PM to 3:10 PM - Everest. Now, to be honest, this FP may get changed. Since Everest has a single rider line. AND this might be a good option to head towards for Extra Magic Hours. AND I would LOVE to leave the park after my time in Pandora so that I can escape the heat and rest for a bit.

Some Notes:

I'll probably skip a lot of what we did in January. Like Dino Land. We spent a lot of time and while it's cute but not something to revisit on a solo trip. AND I didn't enjoy DINOSAUR as much as I did when we visited in 2000. It was such a rough ride to this 20-year-older body 😂. I'll also likely skip the Jungle Trek & Gorilla Falls.

I want to take my time wandering through things, not rushing from place to place. Take photos. Linger and breathe the place in so to speak. With DH, we tend to go from FP to FP and I want to just take it in.

And, when it comes to the real world, I really DO need to get back to my room around 3:30 or 4 PM. Because despite the fact that I am on vacation, I still need time to check in on work stuff like email and to ensure anything I've scheduled to post while I'm gone is doing it's thing. That IS one of the downsides of being self-employed AND not having any staff members.

AND with DH in South America, I want to be able to connect with him on Skype.

Right now, my evening plans are focused on things near the MK and my resort.

After some rest, some email triage, and a shower: I have a dinner reservation at Kona Cafe at 5:20 PM. This is one of the reasons I got the dining plan as I hear it's a good meal. While I know it's a lot of food for one person, but since I have the fridge in the room, I can take leftovers back to the room. And that makes a perfect breakfast.

After dinner, there can be some time to work. AND/OR. I can head to MK.

I am pondering doing a dessert party at MK.

The other day, BRBGoingToDisney did a girls night at MK and shared the fireworks on her Instagram Stories. And that made me think: I have NEVER seen Happily Ever After from MK. The last two years, we have stayed in MK resorts in Theme Park View rooms. And while I love the convenience of watching the fire works from my balcony with a glass of wine in hand, that isn't the same now, is it?

In reality, I am not a fan of crowds. and DH despises crowds. When we go in Jan. 2020 we have theme park view rooms again. And with family, it will be super nice to be able to relax together in one of our rooms - or on the deck near Gasperirilla's - to watch together

THIS is the view from GF Theme Park View Rooms (just above Gasperilla's). And they pipe the music out there.

20190106_200155-e1563122444892.jpg

Since this solo trip is about doing things I haven't done, a dessert party is an attractive idea. And something I know I wouldn't do with all 18 of us come January.... If I do it, it's now to decide if it's a BEFORE fireworks or AFTER fireworks party....

Also: the EXTRA extra Magic hours at MK means the park will close officially a 10 PM but remain open til Midnight. Though, like Cinderella, I turn into a pumpkin when it gets late, what would it be like to hang out and play in MK? Especially since my Wednesday plans have nothing too terribly early?

Thoughts on my 3rd day plans?

What time would you head to DAK for Extra Magic Hours opening? What would YOU do before your 1st Fast Pass if you were me? Do you have a favorite spot to relax? Or something that's INSTAGRAM worthy? What's your favorite dish from Kona Cafe? What about DESSERT parties? Have you done them?

Animal Kingdom day is always so fun! In addition to the rides and attractions, I love to just wander too. I really enjoy Kilamanjaro Safaris. Giraffes kind of fascinate me, and often they will get fairly close to the vehicle.
I bet you can ride EE earlier than your FP with the single rider line.

One of my favorite things to do in AK is to keep an eye out for DiVine. I've spotted her a couple of times.

I went to a dessert party a few years ago at HS. It was fun! I think when you get the chance to sort of preview an event as a solo it's helpful. You get a good idea of the view, value and time involved.

Time for me to get busy with the day. Looking forward to reading more about your plans. :flower:

Animal Kingdom day is always so fun! In addition to the rides and attractions, I love to just wander too. I really enjoy Kilamanjaro Safaris. Giraffes kind of fascinate me, and often they will get fairly close to the vehicle.
I bet you can ride EE earlier than your FP with the single rider line.

One of my favorite things to do in AK is to keep an eye out for DiVine. I've spotted her a couple of times.

I went to a dessert party a few years ago at HS. It was fun! I think when you get the chance to sort of preview an event as a solo it's helpful. You get a good idea of the view, value and time involved.

Time for me to get busy with the day. Looking forward to reading more about your plans. :flower:

I love giraffes, too! And I"m hoping the timing works out so it's not too hot yet and the animals are active. And YES - just wandering around, watching out for interesting spots to rest and cool down.

I need to remind myself, too, that I AM older and haven't done the parks in September since 2000 😳 Though it's super hot in Ohio this week, I have adapted to cooler summers these last 9 years and can't take the heat like I used to in Texas!

So, while I want to linger and take my time, I ALSO want to be able to rest before heading back into the parks in the evenings. At least put on fresh underwear and a not-drenched-in-sweat bra 🤣🤣🤣

You're exactly right about the dessert party! An opportunity to see if it's something we may want to do as a family come January!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!