A Doug Sequel Series Is in the Works at Disney+, Creator Reveals

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
https://movieweb.com/doug-sequel-series-disney/

Disney+ continues with its revivals and is preparing to bring back one of the most iconic, most beloved animated series from the 90s, Doug, almost 25 years after it's ending with Doug's 1st Movie in 1999. Originally premiering on Nickelodeon in 1991, Doug became one of the great animated productions of the time, being part of a golden generation for the network. The story focuses on the titular teenager, a shy and unpopular boy, but with a great imagination, who finds himself madly in love with one of his classmates, Patricia "Patti" Mayonnaise. The series focuses on Doug's experience as a teenager, his friendships, his relationship with his family and his first love.

The series was always highly praised by critics, which led the franchise to expand to the world of comic books, video games and even a stage play titled Doug Live!, which ran from 1999 to 2001. Therefore, now that Disney+ is bringing back so many hits from the past, it's no surprise that Doug is joining the roster.

Now, speaking with Tenn Buick, Doug's creator Jim Jinkis revealed that a sequel series is currently in early development at Disney+. The show will follow the kids of Doug and Patti, no doubt in a format similar to that of the original series.

For a minute I was excited because I thought you had misspelled "Dug", and it was about a series for the dog from Up. Yes I know about the series of shorts and they are excellent. Doug - meh. OK.

Doug put 90s and early 2000s kids to sleep and now this reboot will put 2020s kids to sleep too!

A bit mixed on this. I grew up with the show and really liked it when it was on Nickelodeon, but when Disney took over and it moved to ABC the quality dropped greatly. So I'm keeping expectations tempered for it. Hopefully they at least don't overuse the day dream episodes like Quailman stuff in the new series like the Disney version of the show did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter