A DLR Guide for WDW Vets

A couple of questions:
I've read that Fantasmic! and WOC of Color fast passes are not available on MaxPass. Can you still secure a paper one of those early in the day and still use MaxPass the rest of the day?

How do you get Photopass pictures to link? I saw that rides you need to add the code each time. How do photopass photographers add them to your account?

I bought two tickets online (one for me and one for my boyfriend) they are linked to my disney experience app and I can see them. Should I stop and get a card for each of us? I'm just wondering how it works to get into the park.

(The last two questions are why I love WDWs magic bands!!)

A couple of questions:
I've read that Fantasmic! and WOC of Color fast passes are not available on MaxPass. Can you still secure a paper one of those early in the day and still use MaxPass the rest of the day?

How do you get Photopass pictures to link? I saw that rides you need to add the code each time. How do photopass photographers add them to your account?

I bought two tickets online (one for me and one for my boyfriend) they are linked to my disney experience app and I can see them. Should I stop and get a card for each of us? I'm just wondering how it works to get into the park.

(The last two questions are why I love WDWs magic bands!!)

Show FPs are not linked to the rides, so you can get F! and WOC FPs and they won't conflict with your ride FPs.
There should be a QR code in your DLR app when you purchase MP. PP CMs will scan that code when they take your photos. Or, you can get a card for each of you and the CMs can scan those. The cards can all be linked the same account later. It really is easy and any PP CM can show you how it works in a minute.
By the way, there is no MDE at DLR, only the Disneyland App -- just so you don't get mixed up. And once you get used to the DLR app and MP, you won't miss your magic band!

This is from Disneyland Daily:
PhotoPass with MaxPass
Along with the ability to select FASTPASSES from your app, you’ll receive unlimited digital downloads of all PhotoPass images during the day you purchase MaxPass. This includes character photos, attraction photos, castle photos……and any others you take with a PhotoPass photographer from around the resort. For only $15!

To find the PhotoPass portion on your app, scroll down below the “See All Plans” portion. You will have 45 days from the day you visited to download your photos, just like PhotoPass.

If you want to purchase MaxPass and only use the PhotoPass portion of it, that’s totally fine. Everyone in your group can use the same PhotoPass account. Spend $15 a day and get all the images I mention above. There is no limit to how many people can share that one PhotoPass privilege. Just scan all of your images into the device that purchased MaxPass. So, technically, a group of 12 people could enjoy the perks of PhotoPass by having one person purchase MaxPass for only $15.

Visit this link for how to add your images to the Disneyland app if you purchased MaxPass.

Visit this link for all about character meal images if you purchased MaxPass.

Visit this link for all about attraction images if you purchased MaxPass.

Last edited:
Show FPs are not linked to the rides, so you can get F! and WOC FPs and they won't conflict with your ride FPs.
There should be a QR code in your DLR app when you purchase MP. PP CMs will scan that code when they take your photos. Or, you can get a card for each of you and the CMs can scan those. The cards can all be linked the same account later. It really is easy and any PP CM can show you how it works in a minute.
By the way, there is no MDE at DLR, only the Disneyland App -- just so you don't get mixed up. And once you get used to the DLR app and MP, you won't miss your magic band!

Thanks! Is the DLR app as glitchy as the WDW app? Half the time I can't get on it to make fast passes and dining reservations. And forgot about trying to get to photopass pictures on somedays.

Thanks! Is the DLR app as glitchy as the WDW app? Half the time I can't get on it to make fast passes and dining reservations. And forgot about trying to get to photopass pictures on somedays.
It can be glitchy -- usually before an update comes out. Always check to make sure you have the latest version of the app -- that can help. Others report uninstalling and reinstalling usually solves the problem. And others report never having any trouble!

I have never had problems with either so can’t say from personal experience. The biggest issue for non-Americans is the lack of WiFi at DLR.

There is a QR code in the Disneyland app that the photographer scans to link your photos. I took a screenshot and set it as the lock screen on my phone to avoid having to actually open the app every time we had a photo taken.

WDW vet with our first DLR trip now completed. Was there for 5 nights and stayed at DLH.

I felt unprepared headed into the trip but by day2 realized...there is just not that much to plan for at DLR.

Everything is so so so close to each other there was no planning on how to get from place to place or hitting a good time to park hop. We walked it all and its all in such a,small area it was easy to navigate even without a 'real plan'. My feet did not believe we were have a Disney vacation since it felt like 1/2 the walking in a normal day at WDW, this was a good thing.

Suggest to get MaxPass....when it was working...it was great to grab many FP. I did not like to have to be on the cell/app so much and setting alarms to remember the time we could pull another one so that was the only downside...other then it not working at all at times.

We had the best rain day ever, it was a warm temp rain and with a light weight jacket we were good to go. We met others from the east coast also surprised at how large an impact some rain had but we took advantage of it!

Suggest Plaza Breakfast if into characters..we had 12 characters at Valentine's day breakfast. Also was strange at first to see the characters just hanging out and walking around, but its pretty cool. Walking around adventureland and oh look, there is Moana...go a,little further and oh look there is Dr Facilier, get off Pooh ride and Rabbit is just hanging out. These characters would get mobbed at WDW but most people didn't notice them it seemed or just kind of waved at them and kept on moving.

The toughest part for our family was finding kid-friendly /boring food. Our picky adult even had some trouble so I would look ahead at menus in advance next time to help that aspect.

The biggest negative was the nighttime entertainment which was just lacking. The new MMM projection show was ok, very short even with the fireworks. We are use to big fireworks shows at WDW so,this,felt more like a small town July 4th type of thing.

We are planning on coming back and now see how others combine off site days at other area attractions with 2-3 park days and not feeling like you missed out on part if the parks.

Downtown Disney was nice as well...and our 'tradition' ended up being to get some bienets at RB Jazz Kitchen Express on the way to/from the DLH. Security was not,bad at the DLH end if the area but we could see crazy long lines in Harbour road side.

We will be staying on property again next time too but can see how the many many hotel options on Harbour Rd would be just as,convenient.

Overall it was a great trip! Its not WDW but similar enough and different enough to win a place in our hearts with this first trip.
Great news!

It can be glitchy -- usually before an update comes out. Always check to make sure you have the latest version of the app -- that can help. Others report uninstalling and reinstalling usually solves the problem. And others report never having any trouble!
....that's exactly what happened to me back in January, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled the [apparently] newer version...no problems after that...

What are the best shows to check out? I love Animal Kingdom's Festival of the Lion King. Is there anything to rival it at Disneyland? How's the Frozen show?

So how do you actually get the ride photos? Is there a way to scan your phone at the screens, or do I have to actually wait to see a CM and tell them which photo we want added?

What are the best shows to check out? I love Animal Kingdom's Festival of the Lion King. Is there anything to rival it at Disneyland? How's the Frozen show?
FOTLK is my favorite at WDW. The Frozen show, IMO, is better. Different as it is a stage show. But really good.

Mickey and the Magical Map is the next best stage show. A fine show. Most do not think it is great. I would not go out of my way to see it.

The shows to see at DLR are:

1. World of Color
2. Paint the Night parade (when it returns)
3. Fantasmic!
4. Frozen

DL has had some great fireworks show but the one now is not that great. So not worth it for the current version.

:wizard:

So how do you actually get the ride photos? Is there a way to scan your phone at the screens, or do I have to actually wait to see a CM and tell them which photo we want added?
Each photo has an ID number. Easiest way to get that number is take a photo of the ride photo. You have like 30 days to type that in and get the photo. If you have MaxPass you get it free. Otherwise you have to pay.

FOTLK is my favorite at WDW. The Frozen show, IMO, is better. Different as it is a stage show. But really good.

Mickey and the Magical Map is the next best stage show. A fine show. Most do not think it is great. I would not go out of my way to see it.

The shows to see at DLR are:

1. World of Color
2. Paint the Night parade (when it returns)
3. Fantasmic!
4. Frozen

DL has had some great fireworks show but the one now is not that great. So not worth it for the current version.

Thanks! I'm bummed the Paint the Night parade won't be there when I'm there. (I'll be there next Thursday-Sunday so the questions will stop soon!)

When we visit DLR we never use a car. If we rented one to get there, we return it. If we drove our own car, we park it and leave it there.
We never keep a car at WDW.
For our first DLR trip, we are touring California before and finishing with four nights at a very close (short walking distance) Good Neighbor Hotel.

We are hesitating between parking the car and driving to LAX at the end: 40$ parking + 130$ extra rental fee
Or returning the car on arrival and taking a shuttle/taxi/limo service to go to LAX: 120$.

So, for the extra 50$, is there any value in having the car? Any place we might want to go to nearby that would be hard to get to without a car? TIA

ETA: Got a car rental quote with more convenient times... That come to 50$ in top of the above... So basically the car and no car options are the same price! Which one do you recommend?

For our first DLR trip, we are touring California before and finishing with four nights at a very close (short walking distance) Good Neighbor Hotel.

We are hesitating between parking the car and driving to LAX at the end: 40$ parking + 130$ extra rental fee
Or returning the car on arrival and taking a shuttle/taxi/limo service to go to LAX: 120$.

So, for the extra 50$, is there any value in having the car? Any place we might want to go to nearby that would be hard to get to without a car? TIA

ETA: Got a car rental quote with more convenient times... That come to 50$ in top of the above... So basically the car and no car options are the same price! Which one do you recommend?
I just returned a rental car to LAX yesterday. I was not at DLR but in town for business. It seemed to take forever to return the car and get to my terminal.

Even if the price is the same, not having the car is a time saver.

Bottom line is I never have a car at DLR unless I have business meetings to run to while visiting. So I would say it is not worth it to have a car.

Last edited:

We did a day off and drove to the beach/aquarium, so I think it depends on whether you want to mix it up at all by heading offsite.

We did a day off and drove to the beach/aquarium, so I think it depends on whether you want to mix it up at all by heading offsite.
It is also possible to rent a car for just one day at one of the nearby car rental places. That can save money over four days.

Thanks! Is the DLR app as glitchy as the WDW app? Half the time I can't get on it to make fast passes and dining reservations....
....I booked my rip through Dreams Unlimited and I am very upset that I cannot link it onto the DL app.....however I managed to link my dinner ADRs on the app...

Thanks! I'm bummed the Paint the Night parade won't be there when I'm there. (I'll be there next Thursday-Sunday so the questions will stop soon!)
....I'm bummed that we'll just miss the F&GF ( :scratchin or is it the F&WF?) at DL by just a day or two...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!