A DLR Guide for WDW Vets

Thank you! I avoid Epcot on the weekends for food and wine so hopefully DCA is not too bad crowd wise during it

Is the Walk in Walt’s Footsteps tour worth it? We’ll be there for 4 days and are huge fans of Disney history. I’m worried that I should spend more time in the parks instead of doing a tour.
I did the tour like 7-8 years ago but as I understand it things have not changed much. Most folks seem to really like this tour. I was a bit underwhelmed myself and would have appreciated a little more time back stage. When I did the tour Walt's apartment was not included but I think it may be now and that would be a huge plus for me. :teacher:

:wizard:

Walt's apartment is now included at the end of the tour. We enjoyed the tour very much, but do warn that there is a lot of walking involved and that the lunch is at the very end. So eat beforehand and have some protein bars in your bag, just in case. Also, you can bring your own earbuds -- the ones they give you never seem to work right for me. The tour seems to work better the more responsive the group is. We've been with lively groups and with non-responsive groups. Definitely works best when the guide and tour members have a lot of interaction going back and forth.

First world problem: This is probably going to seem like I am being ridiculous, but I am not excited whatsoever about our April trip to DLR. In fact, I really wish that we were going to WDW and staying at the Polynesian instead.

The reason that we are heading out west is that my MIL has alzheimers, and she is beginning to decline. So we are flying out to Arizona to visit her. This trip will be difficult. She was no pleasure to be around when she had all of her faculties. Now, it’s just gotten so much harder to deal with her. My DH doesn’t know what to say, so it falls on me to smooth things over and have a nice visit.

In order to make this journey cross country more palatable, we added a six day trip to DLR when we leave AZ.

At first, I was excited to go somewhere new until now. Normally when we are this close to being in WDW, I am beside myself with excitement and anticipation. My ADRs would already be scheduled. My itinerary would be mostly structured with only Fastpasses waiting to be booked.

Nope. I am feeling none of this enthusiasm. I am feeling dread instead. The control freak in me is going nuts.

Yes, I know. I am lucky to be going on vacation for a second time this year when we normally don’t travel more than once every two years. I’m spoiled, and I should just suck it up.

First world problem: This is probably going to seem like I am being ridiculous, but I am not excited whatsoever about our April trip to DLR. In fact, I really wish that we were going to WDW and staying at the Polynesian instead.

The reason that we are heading out west is that my MIL has alzheimers, and she is beginning to decline. So we are flying out to Arizona to visit her. This trip will be difficult. She was no pleasure to be around when she had all of her faculties. Now, it’s just gotten so much harder to deal with her. My DH doesn’t know what to say, so it falls on me to smooth things over and have a nice visit.

In order to make this journey cross country more palatable, we added a six day trip to DLR when we leave AZ.

At first, I was excited to go somewhere new until now. Normally when we are this close to being in WDW, I am beside myself with excitement and anticipation. My ADRs would already be scheduled. My itinerary would be mostly structured with only Fastpasses waiting to be booked.

Nope. I am feeling none of this enthusiasm. I am feeling dread instead. The control freak in me is going nuts.

Yes, I know. I am lucky to be going on vacation for a second time this year when we normally don’t travel more than once every two years. I’m spoiled, and I should just suck it up.

I am very sorry about your MIL.

I have no advice but I wanted to sympathize. I feel the same way visiting DL instead of WDW. We have put off a DL visit may times for the exact reasons you state. We are planning an April/May CA trip and are going to add DL for a few days. Between the numerous refurbishments, lack of shows, I am not super excited about it. If I wanted to see construction I would have planned a WDW trip! It just all feels very blah and I agree there is no excitement. Hopefully that will change as it gets closer.

I am feeling the opposite! We just came back this December from a supposedly 1 time trip to DL, we usually go every 2 years to WDW and I had a wonderful time. It cannot be a 1 time trip for me now! For me it's very hard to compare the two since they are great in different ways. I loved the convenience of going thru 1 security and the ability to change parks within minutes, I also loved the ability to RIDE all of the rides without much waiting (using maxpass and staying late) and I loved walking out of our room into the park and walking to downtown Disney. Okay I admit it I Loved everything about DL and didn't expect to. I hate to say it, but WDW needs to up their game on the FP situation maxpass wins hands down for me and we didn't even use the photo pass part of it. And the dining was superior also. My family loves WDW, so I maybe making DL trips on my own !

Sorry about your MIL and your feelings about your upcoming DLR visit. On the bright side regarding DLR, you have nowhere to go but up! Having low expectations can be a good thing - as long as those low expectations do not turn into some kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.

My mom had a form of Alzheimers and it was rough for many years until she finally succumbed. I hope the visit is as good as it can possibly be.

Sorry about your MIL and your feelings about your upcoming DLR visit. On the bright side regarding DLR, you have nowhere to go but up! Having low expectations can be a good thing - as long as those low expectations do not turn into some kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.

My mom had a form of Alzheimers and it was rough for many years until she finally succumbed. I hope the visit is as good as it can possibly be.

Thanks. It is very challenging, and is probably a big part of my apprehension. When the holidays are over, I will try to do more research to prepare myself more.

Sorry to hear about your MIL. My grandpa had alzheimers, it was a tough thing for everyone involved. That said, our last trip to Disney was Disneyland and we loved it. In fact we've started talking about another Disney trip and after talking about both, we're seriously leaning towards a return to Disneyland. The best thing you can do is accept now that they are different animals, but both are still great animals. Hydro's tips and approaches are great and there are others than can really help you with the planning part.

Hang in there! -- we're in a similar situation here, so I know how stressful the MIL thing can be. Don't put more pressure on yourself by forcing expectations that you think you have to meet. Try looking at your DLR trip as "reconnaissance" for a future trip. That's how I frame my point of view when we travel someplace way out of my comfort zone. I just try to see everything as research for a future trip: is this somewhere I would want to visit again? what about hotels? restaurants? shops? We stop into as many places as we like "just to look." Check out menus. Check out rides. Then I don't feel like I have to commit to anything -- we're just doing research for a future trip! Maybe I would want to stay in the same hotel or maybe I would want to upgrade -- just researching! This can take a lot of pressure off your shoulders. Then you can breathe and relax. Isn't that the whole point of your visit? If you decide you'd like to do DLR again in the future, that would be the time to dig deep and plan a "real" visit! (And we'll be right here for you when that time comes!)

Last edited:
The only issue I see with this.... is that Easter is 3 weeks later this year. How much does that affect the park hours? We arrive April 10th.
Easter of course does move around. This link shows when Easter has happened before. If you want too map Easter to park hours, this may help. "Choosing When To Visit DLR: Summary of High and Low Season and When Each Happens" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=36509602

When Easter goes later into April, then Disney tends to keep peak hours longer and then day after Easter drop down to off-season hours.

ETA there was late Easter in 2017 too...

Hang in there! -- we're in a similar situation here, so I know how stressful the MIL thing can be. Don't put more pressure on yourself by forcing expectations that you think you have to meet. Try looking at your DLR trip as "reconnaissance" for a future trip. That's how I frame my point of view when we travel someplace way out of my comfort zone. I just try to see everything as research for a future trip: is this somewhere I would want to visit again? what about hotels? restaurants? shops? We stop into as many places as we like "just to look." Check out menus. Check out rides. Then I don't feel like I have to commit to anything -- we're just doing research for a future trip! Maybe I would want to stay in the same hotel or maybe I would want to upgrade -- just researching! This can take a lot of pressure off your shoulders. Then you can breathe and relax. Isn't that the whole point of your visit? If you decide you'd like to do DLR again in the future, that would be the time to dig deep and plan a "real" visit! (And we'll be right here for you when that time comes!)
Thank you.

Your perspective helps me a lot, and it makes a lot of sense. Our first trip to WDW was a disaster, but we learned a lot, and every trip after that has gotten better and better.

so I know how stressful the MIL thing can be. Don't put more pressure on yourself by forcing expectations that you think you have to meet. Try looking at your DLR trip as "reconnaissance" for a future trip. That's how I frame my point of view when we travel someplace way out of my comfort zone. I just try to see everything as research for a future trip: is this somewhere I would want to visit again? what about hotels? restaurants? shops? We stop into as many places as we like "just to look." Check out menus. Check out rides. Then I don't feel like I have to commit to anything -- we're just doing research for a future trip! Maybe I would want to stay in the same hotel or maybe I would want to upgrade -- just researching! This can take a lot of pressure off your shoulders. Then you can breathe and relax. Isn't that the whole point of your visit? If you decide you'd like to do DLR again in the future, that would be the time to dig deep and plan a "real" visit! (And we'll be right here for you when that time comes!)

I REALLY appreciate and relate to this advice!! After 35+ vacations to WDW (and other destinations that I could plan-out thoroughly) we decided to vacation in Maui this past Christmas. I found myself dreading the whole thing as I was completely unfamiliar with Hawaii. I tried really hard to "plan it", but without actually having any real understanding of the place. The way I calmed myself (and took the stress off) was to tell myself and my family that this first trip to Maui was just a "fact-finding mission". We would just go this first time and start to understand the island so that we would better be able to plan future vacations there, if we so desired. Worked like a charm to take the pressure off of me and we were able to just relax and enjoy! And, yes, I now understand Maui a little more and could plan a better trip next time!

I REALLY appreciate and relate to this advice!! After 35+ vacations to WDW (and other destinations that I could plan-out thoroughly) we decided to vacation in Maui this past Christmas. I found myself dreading the whole thing as I was completely unfamiliar with Hawaii. I tried really hard to "plan it", but without actually having any real understanding of the place. The way I calmed myself (and took the stress off) was to tell myself and my family that this first trip to Maui was just a "fact-finding mission". We would just go this first time and start to understand the island so that we would better be able to plan future vacations there, if we so desired. Worked like a charm to take the pressure off of me and we were able to just relax and enjoy! And, yes, I now understand Maui a little more and could plan a better trip next time!
You and I are a lot alike.

WDW vet with our first DLR trip now completed. Was there for 5 nights and stayed at DLH.

I felt unprepared headed into the trip but by day2 realized...there is just not that much to plan for at DLR.

Everything is so so so close to each other there was no planning on how to get from place to place or hitting a good time to park hop. We walked it all and its all in such a,small area it was easy to navigate even without a 'real plan'. My feet did not believe we were have a Disney vacation since it felt like 1/2 the walking in a normal day at WDW, this was a good thing.

Suggest to get MaxPass....when it was working...it was great to grab many FP. I did not like to have to be on the cell/app so much and setting alarms to remember the time we could pull another one so that was the only downside...other then it not working at all at times.

We had the best rain day ever, it was a warm temp rain and with a light weight jacket we were good to go. We met others from the east coast also surprised at how large an impact some rain had but we took advantage of it!

Suggest Plaza Breakfast if into characters..we had 12 characters at Valentine's day breakfast. Also was strange at first to see the characters just hanging out and walking around, but its pretty cool. Walking around adventureland and oh look, there is Moana...go a,little further and oh look there is Dr Facilier, get off Pooh ride and Rabbit is just hanging out. These characters would get mobbed at WDW but most people didn't notice them it seemed or just kind of waved at them and kept on moving.

The toughest part for our family was finding kid-friendly /boring food. Our picky adult even had some trouble so I would look ahead at menus in advance next time to help that aspect.

The biggest negative was the nighttime entertainment which was just lacking. The new MMM projection show was ok, very short even with the fireworks. We are use to big fireworks shows at WDW so,this,felt more like a small town July 4th type of thing.

We are planning on coming back and now see how others combine off site days at other area attractions with 2-3 park days and not feeling like you missed out on part if the parks.

Downtown Disney was nice as well...and our 'tradition' ended up being to get some bienets at RB Jazz Kitchen Express on the way to/from the DLH. Security was not,bad at the DLH end if the area but we could see crazy long lines in Harbour road side.

We will be staying on property again next time too but can see how the many many hotel options on Harbour Rd would be just as,convenient.

Overall it was a great trip! Its not WDW but similar enough and different enough to win a place in our hearts with this first trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter