A DLR Guide for WDW Vets

You need to scan each ticket. It doesn't matter which account FPs are booked from - each ticket that has a FP attached to it needs to be scanned in order to redeem the FP. Whether you do it from the paper ticket or the phone (swipe to access each ticket) is up to you.
Got it. Thank you!!

My son will be turning 15 years old on our first day at Disneyland, which also happens to be our first time visiting California as a family. We're very excited to share this with him. Our first day in the park is Monday, August 13th, is there anything you can suggest we do to make it an awesome day?

I know to get the Birthday Button, not sure what park to visit first, any suggestions are welcome! TIA :grouphug:

If you make any TS reservations for that day, make sure to note that it will be your son's birthday. You can order a custom cake to be delivered to any TS location. There is a custom cake thread on this forum with reviews and photos. Call Disney Dining (714-781-DINE) for more information. Make sure he wears his birthday button where everyone can easily see it. That way he'll get birthday wishes all day from CMs and guests alike!

Which park to visit depends on how many days you are staying, onsite DLR or not, whether you have Magic Morning on your tickets, and whether you are rope drop people.

If you arrive at the park gates one hour after opening it does not matter which park you go to. It only matters if you arrive at or near park opening. If you do the latter then DL is the best park on Mondays as there is no Magic Morning or Extra Magic Hour before normal park opening. So you will be on a level playing field with all other visitors.

Looks like the PP discusses your birthday options.

Have fun!

You still need your tickets, even with MP. It's faster to scan the tickets than your phone to redeem FPs, and you need the tickets for FPs for F! and WoC - MP doesn't do it.

Thank you for this little piece of info.. I have been doing alot of research on DL (I'm a WDW veteran) and never saw this spelled out so clearly. DL is a whole new world for me and my uber-planning self! thanks again!

You still need your tickets, even with MP. It's faster to scan the tickets than your phone to redeem FPs, and you need the tickets for FPs for F! and WoC - MP doesn't do it.
Thank you for this little piece of info.. I have been doing alot of research on DL (I'm a WDW veteran) and never saw this spelled out so clearly. DL is a whole new world for me and my uber-planning self! thanks again!
I view things differently than @Winnowill. Yes you need your park tickets (or AP) to get FPs for say WOC and F! But for FP redemption we use the bar code on our phones (see screen shot below for DW). That way we do not risk losing our tickets/APs by fishing them out of our pockets over and over. Plus one person can scan for each person from their phone if needed.

Also, I sometimes just take a screen shot of the MP bar code and use that at the FP redemption.

upload_2018-5-29_15-41-31.png

I am seriously considering a trip to Disneyland next September, so this thread is so so useful. Thank you for taking the time to put it together!

As of now, I am thinking of going the last week of September 2019 for 5 days (Monday thru Friday). I am hoping that the overlays will already be on the rides and that the crowds will be somewhat low. I plan on purchasing 5 day parkhoppers, Maxpass, and hopefully Mickey’s Halloween Party tickets for one night (two if possible). I am hoping that this will allow my daughter and I to get to experience everything we want at a leisurely pace.

Disneyland is kind of foreign territory to me, and I feel crazy to be planning 2019’s trip before I have even gone on my 2018 WDW trip, but I am excited!!

I am seriously considering a trip to Disneyland next September, so this thread is so so useful. Thank you for taking the time to put it together!

As of now, I am thinking of going the last week of September 2019 for 5 days (Monday thru Friday). I am hoping that the overlays will already be on the rides and that the crowds will be somewhat low...

Halloween Time is an increasingly busy (and super fun) time at DLR. Don't expect this to be a classically "low crowd" time in the parks. 5 days will give you a good amount of time to take in both parks (which will both be decorated for Halloween) at a relaxed pace, do your favorite rides (and get re-rides, too), see shows, take in the atmosphere and all the great details, etc. MHP is lots of fun -- doing two parties will let you focus on different aspects of the parties on different nights since it really isn't possible to do it all in one party alone. You're off to a great start by asking your questions now and starting your planning early!

Halloween Time is an increasingly busy (and super fun) time at DLR. Don't expect this to be a classically "low crowd" time in the parks. 5 days will give you a good amount of time to take in both parks (which will both be decorated for Halloween) at a relaxed pace, do your favorite rides (and get re-rides, too), see shows, take in the atmosphere and all the great details, etc. MHP is lots of fun -- doing two parties will let you focus on different aspects of the parties on different nights since it really isn't possible to do it all in one party alone. You're off to a great start by asking your questions now and starting your planning early!

Thank you for your comment! I am glad to hear that 5 days is a good amount of time to take in everything :) It is surprising to me how different the planning aspect is compared to WDW, but I am excited to check out Walt’s original park and experience everything it has to offer. My daughter is just thrilled that she may actually get to meet Oswald lol

I also have someone who is willing to rent their DVC points to me so that my daughter and I can hopefully stay at the Grand Californian...it looks like such a beautiful resort!

We know every nook and cranny of WDW including most of the resorts, so I will feel like a child seeing it all for the first time (well, first time in 37 years!). Our only concern is using Maxpass as I haven't read great things about the Wifi and we come from the UK. I may need to enquire about roaming costs.

WiFi and mobile data aren't the same thing. As long as you are on WiFi you shouldn't get charged. Disable data roaming in your settings and you should be fine.

WiFi and mobile data aren't the same thing. As long as you are on WiFi you shouldn't get charged. Disable data roaming in your settings and you should be fine.
The wifi isn't really sufficient for using Maxpass. The areas covered are so limited (and unreliable) that you can't book FPs from very many places if you're relying on wifi, which kind of defeats the purpose...

The wifi isn't really sufficient for using Maxpass. The areas covered are so limited (and unreliable) that you can't book FPs from very many places if you're relying on wifi, which kind of defeats the purpose...
Ah, sorry. Misunderstood. Disregard.

Ah, sorry. Misunderstood. Disregard.
This is an important point, especially for WDW vets who use FP+ and MDX there. So I am going to take this opportunity to elaborate. :)

As part of MDX at WDW, a reported $2 billion project, Disney built extensive wifi just about everywhere at WDW. It allows guests to use the Disney network with no need for cellular access.

At DLR things are different. It is true that DLR does not have wifi provided anywhere near to the level of WDW. Some have wondered why and some have speculated that Disney did not have a good way to keep it to Disney guests and keep out folks across the street, for example. This is a drawback especially for non-US visitors who do not want or cannot practically use their cellular service in the US. That would be a big reason that Disney has kept legacy FP available.

Hopefully some day this will change but it is reality for now.

:wizard:

This is an important point, especially for WDW vets who use FP+ and MDX there. So I am going to take this opportunity to elaborate. :)

As part of MDX at WDW, a reported $2 billion project, Disney built extensive wifi just about everywhere at WDW. It allows guests to use the Disney network with no need for cellular access.

At DLR things are different. It is true that DLR does not have wifi provided anywhere near to the level of WDW. Some have wondered why and some have speculated that Disney did not have a good way to keep it to Disney guests and keep out folks across the street, for example. This is a drawback especially for non-US visitors who do not want or cannot practically use their cellular service in the US. That would be a big reason that Disney has kept legacy FP available.

Hopefully some day this will change but it is reality for now.

:wizard:
We may have wasted our money buying the MAXPASS with our tickets, but it's done and there's no going back, so here's hoping we can find enough wifi hotspots to use the system. We leave tomorrow morning for the long flight to LA :-)

We may have wasted our money buying the MAXPASS with our tickets, but it's done and there's no going back, so here's hoping we can find enough wifi hotspots to use the system. We leave tomorrow morning for the long flight to LA :-)
Have a good flight and sorry about MP. Hopefully you can figure out the wifi.

YES!!! Have a safe flight and an awesome vacation! :beach:

I have read that Disneyland (and Disney World) will be switching over to tiered pricing.

I am considering buying my tickets for next year now to save a bit of money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!