A Disney Princess & her SERIOUSLY grumpy bf.... A Pre-Trip Report!

What should DBF and I do on our free night?

• Mini Golf

• Hang at the Boardwalk

• Go back to a park and finish up anything we missed

• DTD

• Other... TELL ME WHAT!

Results are only viewable after voting.

shordiebecka

DIS Veteran
Hey Everyone!

Well, by now you've probably seen me posting on here a few times. It's so hard to get caught up, and I want to say something to everyone but I'm in over my head!:confused:

I was, around a year ago, a loyal Dis-ser. But, I never really wrote on the boards, just stalked the boards. Sorry about that...:rotfl:

Here's the history of me (disney princess) and the grumpy bf(seriously).

I have been to disney 8 times. I love all things Disney, I love the parks, I love planning...Disney really is my happiest place on earth.
My bf isn't really anti-happy..he is just anti-heat, crowds, people and Disney World in general. He went there once in high school, and didn't like it at all.

I have made it my mission, to make him LOVE it. I'm going to do everything in my power to plan it really well, so that he enjoys himself this time (so we can go back again next year), so througout my PTR, any ideas or suggestions to make this trip enjoyable from an already anti-disney trip passanger will be greatly appreciated!!!

Ok, here are some details/history of the aforementioned trip:

My friend is getting married in Orlando on August 1st. At first, I thought well if I'm paying for the plane tickets anyways, maybe I'll do a long weekend. The only way I convinced my bf of this was with a promise to go to sea world (he LOVES marine life).
That turned into...well, maybe we will leave on a tuesday and spend a few days in Disney. I used Animal Kingdom to convince bf to go for a longer time.
So, I did my research on different hotels, and made a power point slide show of some DTD hotels, some Universal Hotels and some disney hotels (emphasized Disney hotels of course). I'm a HUGE planner and enjoyed making this.

So, I played a trick on him..I showed him all of them, glorified the Disney ones, and of COURSE he was like wow the ones on Disney property look great...and THEN I showed him AKL..and he fell in love. He told me he would only go if we stayed there, and actually seemed excited about it...so of course, i let him think he made the decision and I was just going along with it...:cool1:

Anyways, so I saw this wonderful 4 for 3 deal that disney had going...and priced it out for AKL. I convinced him to add the dining plan (it's less money! less hassle!), and soon my long weekend semi disney trip is now a 7 night, 8 day full immersed Disney Trip...I am tricky!!!:dance3:

So, the dates are as follows: July 26-August 2. In the middle of the summer heat, I have to convince my bf that Disney is in fact magical and needs to be visited yearly.

Here we go!!!!

HI! I'm jumping on board. You are so devious! Luckily, there wasn't much trickery into getting my DBF to go to WDW with me. And I am so jealous of AKL... I would love to stay there! But, alas, broke college students= value resort... which is still Disney property, at least. Heh.

I wouldnt take him in the parks in August.. Its EXTREMELY hot and CROWDED

Families are packing in that last summer vacation before school starts.

I recommend if anything going in mid September
No Lines, but it can be hot... or go mid January- February

Spring time is busy due to Spring Break and dont even think of Memorial Day weekend.. I went with DH one year and NEVER again....

I'm joining in!! I have a grumpy DH who I'm dragging along. :lmao: I love how you sold him on AKL -- well played!! :thumbsup2 I've never been in August (we're going the last week), but I've heard it will be crowded and hot. BUT...it CAN be done (according to what I've read on here)! I'd suggest signing up for Tour Guide Mike or using Touring Plans to get a plan of attack. I just registered for TGM b/c I've heard a lot of excellent things about how his site has helped people who've gone during peak times. So, if you have to go during the busy time at least you can be prepared. :goodvibes

Can't wait to hear more!

Thanks everyone! I know it's going to be hot and crowded, but this is only time period we can go....so we will make the best out of it!

Update (kind of): I'm in the middle of preparing another power point presentation of where we can eat :cool1:

My 90 day window isn't until the end of April..but just in case (with disney you never know what they will do!), I want to be ready. Plus he loves food...so I'm slowly getting him excited!

Anyone know how long after the initial booking the send you the vaca planning dvd, etc?

Thanks everyone! I know it's going to be hot and crowded, but this is only time period we can go....so we will make the best out of it!

Update (kind of): I'm in the middle of preparing another power point presentation of where we can eat :cool1:

My 90 day window isn't until the end of April..but just in case (with disney you never know what they will do!), I want to be ready. Plus he loves food...so I'm slowly getting him excited!

Anyone know how long after the initial booking the send you the vaca planning dvd, etc?

I booked in December, but I didn't get the planning DVD (I booked with a TA), so I ordered it off of the Disney site website. Sorry, I'm no help! Haha.

I understand about the ADRs. Since I booked I have been planning the dining very carefully. I'm doing the DP (just regular, not deluxe). I planned it out and I'm getting a really good deal if the prices on allears.net are up to date.

I booked in January and received the DVD about three weeks later. I didn't even know I automatically got it, so it was a nice surprise! Good luck planning your ADRs. I had such a hard time trying to narrow down all the places we wanted to eat. Seriously, I could just eat my way around WDW w/ no problem! :rotfl:

Here's some pictures of who is involved in this trip (i.e me and grumpy DBF).

This is Me, with the pirate outside the Disney Store..it looks like I have one leg, but I have 2..I promise.
093.jpg

And...these are my two kitties, they aren't coming (obviously) but they are my loves:love: :love: :love:

Stella Marie
313.jpg

Moose Bruschi-Brady (go PATS!)
410.jpg

And here's one of me and DBF:

001-1.jpg

Sorry they're so big!

every morning I wake up and hope for one of two things:
1. It's July 25
2. Disney has posted the park hours for july & emh.

neither of these things every happen:confused3

Next up..some of my favorite pictures from my last disney trip.

Oh, and I finally finished reading the Unofficial Guide.

Should i Go buy the passporter guide?:dance3:

boardwalk and bridge
005.jpg

Swan & Dolphin
006.jpg

Ducks @ MGM Bus Stop
012.jpg

Germany @ Epcot
017.jpg

the wonderful ball through Japan
035.jpg

DISNEY!
091.jpg

who misses it.. I do!!!

Cute pictures! That one really does look like you have just one leg. :laughing: Love your kitties -- too cute. We're...well, I am a cat person. DH has somewhat converted.

Oh, and I definitely miss it...all of it!! I'm suffering from WDW withdraw everyday. I'm such a junkie, it's sad.

So...I showed DBF a slide show I made on power point (i'm so ocd..its sad), of all the places we can eat. I told him to choose 10..and he ended up with 13- pretty much all of Epcot & the resorts:

Boma
Sci Fi
Brown Derby
The Coral Reef
Nine Dragons
Germany
Teppan Edo
Le collier
England
Ohana
Flying fish
Raglan road
t-rex
California Grill

Now, we have a total of 5 days (one of those days being 2 half days that I made into 1 to use all of our 7 ts meals. But, we really want to eat at all these places, So i think we are going to use our CS for breakfast at AKL, pay for some meals out of our pockets and use some TS credits. Though, I we won't be able to eat all these places. We will probably choose between the Sci Fi and Hollywood Brown Derby, so that will eliminate at least one..but besides that.. choices choices:sad2:

I also went and bought myself a 3 ring binder, with some folders with dividers for OCD planning purposes :banana:

On the front of my binder, I put a calendar that i made on Office Publisher, for the months of March, April, May and June- with all important trip planning dates (park hours at the end of March, ADR dates, etc, etc.... WHEN WILL IT COME! I have nothing to do now until the park hours come out but daydream!!!

Well, just a quick rant. Thanks to everyone who has been reading, the few of you!

hi there! Love your plans so far! The powerpoint presentation is great, totally awesome in fact! Great way to convince him!
I found that the more excited I got about WDW the more excited DF got... so I made an effort to ask him lots of questions about the trip and things he wanted to do (like talking about disney was really all that hard lol:laughing: )
I think you will make him a disney fan yet!
Oh and not sure what dining plan you are on, but I see you have a few signature restaurants (require 2 TS credits) so make sure you dont end up paying for more then you thought you would OOP.

Oh and now the fun news... I may bump into you in July at AKL... I am trying to convince DF to stay there for 3 nights beforfe we move over to my folks Timeshare for a week... I want a little "us" time on a vacation. We are going down there to plan our Disney Wedding, so I would love to have a few days of just us. I am also trying to convince him to buy DVC at AKV so we'll see how that goes... maybe the trip to AKL will help me plead my case lol!

Thanks for reading!!!! I'm glad to hear you've made your DF a Disney Believer...or atleast slowly but surely you are on your way!

AKL is AMAZING and romantic..I bet you will love it & I really hope you can convince DF to stay there. Just emphasize the "us" time, and I bet he will. I love how its super close to AK too- it makes it really easy to do a halfday-ish at AK!!! Thanks for reading :)

Hi! I'm following along on your PTR as well! Can't wait to see how your plans come together and see how your BF ends up liking the vacation. I'm really curious to see what all the two of you will be doing since my trip will just be my and my BF too! I like your idea about the restaurant slide presentation. I may end up doing that too cause we can't decide!!

Hi! I'm following along on your PTR as well! Can't wait to see how your plans come together and see how your BF ends up liking the vacation. I'm really curious to see what all the two of you will be doing since my trip will just be my and my BF too! I like your idea about the restaurant slide presentation. I may end up doing that too cause we can't decide!!

The presentation is awesome :) i would suggest choosing a top 10 and going from there. Thanks for following along!

Your restaurant list looks really good. Have you thought about doing the deluxe dining plan? That way, you could eat at all of DBF choices and even have more options! It's a bit more, but might be something you could sell him on.

WDWROCKSMYSOCKS: Yes, I have thought about upgrading to the deluxe dining plan. I'm a little confused about what it exactly includes though..is it 3 TS meals or just 2? Or anywhere? I like the idea of it being all inclusive. I could probably sell it to DBF by saving some money, then paying the difference up front so he doesn't have a choice...then I wouldn't need to worry about any money except fun money! Interesting idea...

I'm also thinking about going down a day earlier to avoid really expensive plane tickets, staying at a value resort for the night so I get to enjoy an extra day and half at the world.

This works, because I have a 7 day park hopper ticket. I will be there for 9 days, but one day is seaworld and another day I'm going to a wedding, so i wouldn't have to upgrade the tickets an extra day.

I'm confused about the dining plan though... if I have a 7 night myw dining plan, upgrade to deluxe, then what do i get? 7 of what kind of meals per person? The confusion never ends...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts